2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hibiscus Lager - Dave's BrewFarm

Hibiscus Lager
No picture uploaded.

Dave's BrewFarm visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 06-25-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by zeledonia:
zeledonia

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler picked up on Sunday. 5 days ago. Another interesting BrewFarm creation. My growler says 5.6% ABV. It also says: "Botanical Series - A new twist in the series using lager yeast coupled with Pils and Ashburne Mild malts. Mount Hood and Nugget hops, and a late addition of Hibiscus flowers." Tasted 23 August 2013.

Pours a unique, pretty color. It comes out of the growler kinda pink, but in the glass it looks amber. At certain angles I can get those pink tones again. Clear. One finger of off-white head, decent retention and lacing.

Smell is delightful. It's light and clean, with a fabulous aroma of hibiscus flowers. That flowery smell dominates, luscious and red, and I'm really liking it.

Taste is nice, but a little less interesting. It's clean, crisp, and refreshing, with a spicy finish. The flowers add a warmth throughout; otherwise it drinks a fair amount like a good pilsener. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

Feel is excellent. Light-bodied, with vivid prickly carbonation that works really well with the rest of the beer, especially those spicy flavors. Nearly perfect.

I love that Dave makes so many unique lagers, with varying hops and other additions. This one is a fantastic blend of the base beer with an unusual ingredient thrown in. It just works really well, in my opinion, and is far beyond the sum of its parts.

Serving type: growler

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

08-06-2012 13:31:26 | More by herman77
feloniousmonk

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Hibiscus Lager. From a growler just brought back from the BrewFarm mere hours ago. I'm cracking this one right now, and pouring into my new BrewFarm snifter, which was "christened" about six hours ago, nine times over. Let's drink some Hibiscus lager, okay?

Semi- clear, amber-to-crimson appearance, generous snowy-white from holds court on top. Looks fantastic.

Aromatics: very delicate, light and flowery. Extraordinarily subtle and beautiful. Not much beyond that, but not much else needed.

Taste: starts in on the mouth fruity and malty, medium bodied, and very smooth and refreshing. Quite a flavorful, consumable lager, with so much sweet subtleties going on, I both don't know where to begin, and wonder when to stop. Not a lot needs to be said, but these light, distinctive subtleties make all the difference. And when I float in an adjective like "beautiful", I'm not screwing around. I don't trot that out for nothing' jack. Ditto for "pretty". I hold that in reserve for special occasions, and I don't toss it out lightly, for fear of ridicule, am I right? Am I right? That guy over there knows what I'm talkin' about!

This is kind of exception for all the times I say I "don't like lagers." Although, I think the hops used aren't typically used in lagers, and while Pils is for sure, is Ashbourne Mild…and I don't know why I'm even treading this ground, because nothing at the BrewFarm is typical, ever.

The hibiscus is mainly found in the aroma, but the other delights of this lager are just the result of the marriage of the parts, which are, again, unique and unheard of. As much as one must respect tradition, I doff my headgear to Farmer Dave for his non-stop investigations into new realms and recipes. Here's a lovely lager with so much flavor you're never bored, you're never just drinking, you're never just tossing it back for thirst, or the sake of getting drunk.

Here's the technical info:

"Botanical Series. 6.1 % ABV. --A new twist in the series using lager yeast coupled with Pils and Ashbourne Mild malts. Mount Hood and Nugget hops, and a late addition of Hibiscus flowers."

Serving type: growler

06-25-2012 08:51:14 | More by feloniousmonk
Hibiscus Lager from Dave's BrewFarm
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.