Muddy Mo’ Stout - 75th Street Brewery

75th Street Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: beernut7 on 09-01-2002

A dry Irish-style stout, Muddy Mo’ is full-bodied with a wonderful aroma. The chocolate malt topped with Cluster hops combines remarkable creaminess, smooth drinkability and the hearty, robust flavor of a classic Irish stout. Often called the best stout this side of Dublin, the Muddy Mo’ Stout pairs well with our Brownie Sundae.
Reviews by Rio:
3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

Reviewed from notes from Barley's Brewhaus (Overland Park, KS) on 11/04/04.

Poured what first appeared to be a very deep brown, but looked to maybe have a bit of a reddish tint to it, nice off-white head that left a decent bit of lacing. A bit of a dry oat smell came to my nose, but so light that it was hard to discern much else.

The dry oats were a bit bolder in the taste, as well as a bit of a roasted malt taste. Whatever hops were in this brew, they were hiding better than Waldo, 'cause I sure couldn't find them. Very smooth, though a bit thin, and no carbonation to speak of. As with most oatmeal stouts I've had, no aftertaste.

Yup, it's an oatmeal. At least, now it is. I spoke with one of the brewers from 75th Street who told me that it had been changed from an Irish Stout to an Oatmeal Stout by one of the other brewers, but he didn't tell me when exactly. A good beer, all in all, but lacking in the smell and feel a bit too much for me to be able to say it's a great beer. (999 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

On draft at the brewpub.
Aroma: Roasted/burnt grain. Not hops, as it should be.
Apperance: Very dark brown with a everlasting light brown head. Pretty beer.
Flavor: Very roasty with some lingering bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, but soft as it moves to the back of my mouth.
Overall: Not a bad example of the style. (324 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Deep reddish-black, opaque, nitro-tap induced creamy tan head, excellent retention, very good lace. Nose? What nose? Smooth roasted malt and coffee hints construct the palate with weak underlying bitterness. The body is too thin, watery mouthfeel. It is ‘easy to drink’ but in this case that is not a positive attribute. I wouldn’t bother with this one, too many better representations of the style. (402 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

On nitro-tap at the brewery in a dimpled mug. Black, almost opaque, a few weak garnet glints fought through around the sides. Dark tan creamy nitro head that persisted to the end. Some chocolate and roast grain in the nose, no hop presence. The flavor was likewise all about the roast grain, no hops flavor to be detected, and any hop bitterness was lost in the roast flavors. This batch had none of the wateriness reported by others. This is a fine example of what a stout should be. Some brewers seem to be succumb to the temptation of coloring outside the lines when brewing such a standard style as this. Muddy Mo is an example of how good a beer can be when a brewer stays well within the lines. (700 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

Despite earlier notes, this stout is back to a nitro-tap Irish dry style. Nice dark brown/black in color. One inch head that leaves a nice lacing around the dimpled mug they serve it in.

A good dry Irish style stout...very smooth. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate.

Overall, very sessionable. (307 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled at the brewery

Appearance = opaque, almost black. Creamy dark mahogony 1/3" head that lasted for a good 5 minutes before I had a chance to taste the beer. Impressive lacing.

Nose = light mocha aroma of coffee and chocolate, malt

Taste = bittersweet roasted malt with enough hops to keep balance. Fine dry stout, it has a thinner mouthfeel than their sweeter oatmeal stout. Good quaff.

Good session beer, this one is my normal pint when I visit this brewery. Goes well with food. (500 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

It had been quite awhile since I'd sampled this particular 75th Street brew. I had it on tap at one of the pubs in the company grouping that owns 75th Street itself. The bartender told me the brewery had recently changed their recipe, although the brewers claimed otherwise (again according to the bartender). Based on what I remember of the brew, I'd agree with the bartender, and I'm not at all convinced it was a good thing.

The beer poured fine -- deep black and opaque, just as you would expect from a stout. The head, however, was thin, and disappeared fairly quickly. Could've been due to the cleanser on the glass, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

The smell was what first got my attention. I didn't smell anything remotely resembling roast barley. Granted, I know that's not a flat-out requirement for a stout, but still... you expect what you expect. This had a distinctly chocolate, caramelly nose to it.

When I took a drink, the chocolate really jumped out. This seemed so much more like a brown porter and not a stout, that I had to check the tap again to make certain I was given the right beer. There was a slightly sour aftertaste that I couldn't place, either. And this was, from what I gather, a very fresh keg. I kept drinking, of course. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't at all "stoutish", especially based on what I remmeber of the beer from when I last had it. My impression was that they cut back or eliminated any roast barley, dialed the chocolate way up, and perhaps acidified this to give it the Guinness "twang". If so, it didn't work.

The mouthfeel seemed to be very thin. Again, this added to the "is this a stout or a brown porter?" question going through my head. This was far, far thinner than any stout I've had in a very long time.

The fact it was so thin, was faintly sour, and tasted nothing at all like a stout (in my opinion) really harmed the drinkability. It wasn't a bad beer, it just wasn't what it claimed to be. If someone took a barleywine and labelled it a Pilsener, I'd rate it the same way, even if it were Bigfoot, Old Foghorn, etc.

Overall, I was really disappointed with this. Not disappointed in the beer itself, but disappointed in the change. If 75th truly did change the recipe, I hope they kept the old one. They really need to go back. I'll try it again just in case there was a keg/line problem, and I hope that's the case. If not, this one has taken a nosedive in quality. (2,456 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Had on tap at the brewery (where Im actually doing the review). Poured a dark brown that almost let any light through with a huge tan had that stayed with the beer all the way down. Left lacing down the entirity of the mug. Nose is roasted malts with a slight chocolate. Taste is roasted malts. Not much there. Slight burnt aftertaste. Mouthfeel is like silk...smooth all the way down. It would be sesssionable for the style. (425 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

This stout starts off with a deep thick red-brown color with an average head and dark malt aroma that is pretty light. This is a full-bodied dry stout with a light roasted malt flavor that only breaks through the watery flavor in the very last swigs. (251 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Opaque black with a thick, persistent off-white head.
Smelled nice, rich cocoa, roasty malts and a little toast.
The taste was very disappointing after the smell. Came on with a stale plastic taste, very offputting. Had a decent finish with some roasty malt and bitter cocoa.
Had a thin and watery texture, not very good. It's easy to drink but I didn't want to. I didn't finish this one actually.
Maybe there was something wrong with the taps or hoses or something. (466 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

Pitch black with a creamy, tan head. Soft, almost nitro-induced head. Dark chocolate malts, a typical dry stout nose. Palate has an intriguing wild cherry flavor in the front, but soon the dark, slightly bitter malt takes hold. Coating and flavorful mouthfeel, but not too thick. A decent stout, but the cherry flavor takes away enjoyment for me. Still worth a try. (365 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25%

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I had this on Nitro-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance- Black color with a fingers worth of tan head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Dark roasted malt aroma with notes of chocolate.

Taste- Muted flavors of dark roasted malt and chocolate. The flavor wasn't watered down tasting just not very strong.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, smooth and creamy.

Overall- Not bad but the flavor needs to be a little stronger. (407 characters)

Muddy Mo’ Stout from 75th Street Brewery