Annona - 75th Street Brewery

AnnonaAnnona

75th Street Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-16-2010)
Reviews by jrallen34:
3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle provided by Alex...Black beer with a light tan head, that is nice and full, good looking beer...Lots going on in the aroma, not totally successful; charred oak with red wine, not enough else going on...The taste is slightly better as a lot of the oak is gone, showing more of a red wine beer with a little chocolate to round it out.

Not great, interesting route but not executed fully.

jrallen34, Dec 10, 2010

(Bottle shared at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting). Pours near black with tan head. Aroma has plenty of soy and wood going on. Taste is sweet with some roasty bitterness. Thin bodied with a slick/oily texture. astringent finish (to me). I didn’t particularly care for this one. It was weird. I am glad I got to try this one, however.

trappistlover, Jun 08, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 750ml corked, caged and foiled bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Bottle has a neck tag and a very amatuer looking sticker on the bottle. Paid $22 at the brewpub.

Pours an opaque black body with no foam at all. A very dead looking beer, but a bit intriguing. Appearance of the beer and bottle combined don't leave me with very high hopes.

Aroma is quite complex. Port, sweet dark fruits, a slight tartness with undertones of banana and bubblegum. I expect more when it warms more.

Initial flavor is overwhelming. At first sip, I don't care for it at all. However, the more I drink, the more I enjoy it. Deep flavors of aged port, oak vanilla, dates, tannins, banana and bubblegum. Very complex, but there's a bit of kitchen sink syndrome here.

This is a very chewy and flat beer. Slick on the palete and rather coating. I could go for a bit more scrubbing power on this one.

Drinkability is low. A few ounces is more than enough. Warming in the belly, which is nice, but this one really sits heavy in the mouth and in the belly. A drier or more carbonated version would suit me better.

I don't think it's worth the steep price.

gwguest, Feb 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

Yay to Alex for the wheatwine. How can this not be good?

A - It's quite dark, not really what you would expect from a wheatwine. Really, it's almost black. Fairly large brownish head that dissipated to random spots and cover on top.

S - Cocoa, kind of weird really. Some roasted malts, barrel, and cabernet.

T - Well, it's a uniqure beer, but guess I should have seen that coming when it was a black wheatwine. Some cocoa and cabernet. There's some fruity stuf in there as well. Lots going on. It's okay, but I think it's just a bit much for me.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Interesting ca mean good or bad things. This is more interesting good for some bad for others. It's unique, not really my thing, but I can see people liking this.

AgentZero, Jul 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Wheat wine aged for no less than one year in a Clos du Bois Cabernet barrel. Brewed with six different kinds of wheat; one of them being chocolate wheat. Very dark in color with flavors and aromas of wheat, oak, vanilla and chocolate."

Thanks to rlcnmeyer for this oddball rarity. Served in a Lost Abbey Rastal Teku glass.

A - Pours with a big light mocha foam that eventually settles to a chunky ring and partial cap. Near-black body with a hint of brown at the fringes. Really dark for a wheatwine - must be the chocolate wheat mentioned in the attached booklet.

S - Lots of chocolate, light char and burnt notes, and notes of a rich full-bodied California Cabernet. There's some oak and earthiness to it as well. I'm not entirely convinced by this flavor combination, even though I liked Bottleworks XI and Iconoclast Nocturna.

T - Taste is heavier in grain husk and bread malt character, with light cocoa and vinous notes. Surprisingly little oak flavor for 12 months in the barrel. Finish with sweet dark fruits and raisins. Less messy than the nose, and pretty good for a style I don't generally enjoy.

M - Fairly zesty carbonation that keeps things from getting too heavy. Appropriately medium-full body, and a chewy and sticky finish.

D - Considering the amount of time spent in the barrel the oak and wine are understated, albeit still fairly obvious. It's got a lot more dark fruit and cocoa than I'd expect from a wheatwine, but I suppose that has to do with the many unusual varieties of wheat used. Still, it's one of the better Kansas beers I've had - which is faint praise I suppose.

MasterSki, Nov 16, 2010
Annona from 75th Street Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.