Hoosier Honey Wheat - Bee Creek Brewery

Hoosier Honey WheatHoosier Honey Wheat

Bee Creek Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

Weizenbock |  7.50% ABV

"This beer is brewed with an addition of Indiana clover honey. The use of Weihenstephan Weizen yeast gives this wheat beer a hint of clover, orange, and banana flavors that blends well wiht the added wheat malt to produce a crisp, refreshing ale."

(Beer added by: JamesS on 11-04-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoosier Honey Wheat Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Nothin' like sippin' on a nice APWA while listening to Dream Theater's "As I Am". (If you haven't heard the album "Train of Thought", check it out now!) This bottle is left over from the infamous DLD/Grand Prix trip (big thanks to B-Hight for procuring the goods!). The beer pours a clear pale golden straw, though something tells me it aspires to one day have some haze of its own (not bloody likely...I ain't made o' money, con sarn it!). Somewhere around a finger of white foamy head grows at the surface, diminishing to a constant shadow of its former self. Bubbles stream from the base, giving gravity the finger while shouting out to champagnes of years gone by. As Sam Cooke croons "(What a) Wonderful World", I take a sniff: A healthy dose of deep honey hits my 'strils, a rare occurrence for beers that claim to include bees' means. Some light wheat and floral notes are there, too, but don't try very hard to stand out (fuckin' wallflowers...). Boston's "Amanda" is now underway...which means I'm taking way too damn long in finishing this review. The taste shows a definite honey influence, but some blunt bitterness ensures that the proceedings are not dominated by bee-borne sweetness. That vague sense of grainy wheat returns, begging for a sequel to showcase its "awesome talent" (its words, not mine). Ain't gonna happen, though. As some badass guitar work makes me realize that "I could be happy the rest of my life with a cinnamon girl", I note that the body is fairly light and has a lightly moderate carbonation. I gotta say, for a random Hoosier brew that came to my attention by chance, this guy turned out pretty tastily. Now, I'm gonna finish this glass and continue rockin' out. Prosit!

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Pale amber, clear with a thick head on top

SMELL: Alcohol, ripe plantains, bandaids, powdered clove, citric rind, taffy, pound cake

TASTE: Smooth, bigger body, malt sweetness, bready, grainy, ripe fruit, fruit cake, banana pudding, spicy, medicinal, white chocolate

Holy bananas! This beer came out of left field ... did not anticipate this, it is not like I had lower than expected hopes for this beer. Great taming of the German wheat yeast, alcoholic yet not anything crazy which keeps the drinkability in check in a good but deceiving way. Amazing.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

"I had a bananer in there"- Junior Soprano S,6

Thanks Oglmcdgl for the split & thanks to the trader who provided it.

Hoosier honey looks a bit darker than many APWA I've had. A mix of muddled yellow with golden trimmings and a shade of light tan. The foam reached a quarter inch appearing off-white and then jetted, no lace.

The smell is straight bananas, not bananas in a over the top way but just a rush of the mushed bananers. Under that a bit of wheat and some alcohol escapes as well. A good amount of pale malts as well make for a big sweetness mixed with light honey.

Perhaps Bee Creek should of named this Hoosier Banana Wheat as it would of been more appropriate. It's the main taste mixed in with some malted barley and small drops of honey. Banana in the front, honey and small wheat in the middle, alcohol and malt afterwards. The banana remains.

A step below medium in build. This is quite thicker than most in the style, it does not go down easy and light enough. Carb is there but gets masked a bit under the thickish coat. Sweet in the mouth with a hit of heat. There is nothing pale about this. The drinkability suffers because, well, I just don't like it. I finished my glass real quick, no need to warm this up.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden in color and very transparent. Good amount of carbonation, fizzy.

Smell: Smells very sweet and of honey, very slight yeast smell on the backend

Taste: Very good flavor. For a comparison I'd say it's similar to Gumballhead from 3 Floyd's, but sweeter. It's sweet and the presence of honey is very noticeable. One of the guys I was with said it reminded him of some kind of bubblegum.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Is very light and carbonated. It's almost like drinking a soda.

Drinkability: Is highly drinkable. Is both flavorful and light. The 7% may surprise and isn't overly present.

I really enjoyed this beer. It was something new and had a higher alcohol content than most other Pale Wheat Ales. I really appreciated how genuine this interpretation on the Pale Wheat was. I'd recommend picking up this six pack if you can. It's a good summer session beer with a subtle kick.

Edit: After having this beer several times I can say that there is a lot of "batch" variation. Now it seems to feature more honey that it did initially and doesn't feature the hoppiness it used to. I officially retract my statement that it's anything like Gumballhead since the first batches of this are superior to today's product.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally tracked down this whale thanks to aasher.

Pours a hazy golden color with a fairly effervescent white head which stops short of totally disappearing.

Very nice aroma of hefeweizen yeast (banana, citrus, and clove), wheat, honey, sweet malt, and floral notes. I can believe they used Weihenstephan yeast here.

The flavor is good, although the alcohol comes through a little more than I'd like. Behind that are honey, wheat, and lots of orange. Banana and clove on the finish.

Medium-light bodied, as it should be, and a little on the boozy side.

This is pretty nice for a wheat ale overall, but I'll take an actual Weihenstephan beer over what they've created from the yeast here.

12 oz bottle split with onix1agr.

A- pours a hazy golden yellow with a small cap of white foam.

S- big time bananas and dipped in honey and served on wheat bread.

T- sweet honey and a malty hit. Lots of wheat bread a bit of bananas and cloves. Ever so faint booziness with some warming.

M- light to medium body and medium carb. Semi dry finish.

D- nice stuff, very refreshing but nothing I'd seek out again.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a nice deep golden color with some very nice head (especially for a wheat beer) and nice lacing. Good aroma, nice summer wheat scents with a sweet honey tinge; nice crispness toned down by the honey. Great taste, a thick and rich wheat beer with a wonderful honey flavor; nice cross between a wheat beer and a mead. A little roughness going down from the high ABV, but still quite nice. Tried both warm and cold and prefer the warm version for its higher honey and wheat attributes, although the warm version also has a more pronounced alcohol tinge. A great Indiana beer made with Indiana honey.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Got this as an extra from my buddy SuperNova777.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow color. Not much head at all.

Smell is malt, wheat and yeast. Not too bad.

Taste is full of honey. Good malt flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Maybe a little overcarbonated for my likely. Very bubbly.

Overall a pretty good beer. I wouldn't mind drinking it again.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks to Lukafer for this beer!

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with light brown hues in there. One finger white head shows good retention and dies down to a light cap on the beer. Spotty lacing on the sides of the glass with little bits sinking back into the beer.

S- Light floral tones to this in the front. Banana and clove comes into play next. Light sweet honey notes make the beer come to life more in the nose. Light alcohol in the backend brings everything together.

T- Honey stands out more in the front which I find really interesting. Banana and cloves come out in the middle with some light wheat flavors coming into the backing. Alcohol and sweet honey comes up on the end. The honey I was surprised came about and was a dominate flavor in the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Honey, banana, and clove are left on the palate with honey and alcohol long into the aftertaste. Flavors are well blended and balanced. Alcohol has light drying on the palate. Flavors are clean and crisp.

D- This beer is very good. The alcohol is very well hidden and makes this drinkable. I was surprised with this beer and look forward to their other creations. Fantastic beer I couldn't get enough of it.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a pint glass on 6/8/10

Thanks to livewire78

I could tell on the pour this is a densely hazy beer. Pineapple gold with highlights of apricot in the middle, it's certainly apparent how cloudy it is; almost to the point of fruit smoothie. A one & a half finger head rose & fell pretty quickly with audible carbonation. Minimal retention & basically no lace until the end of the glass.

Wheat & toasted grains suggest a standard-fare aroma; one with a penchant for grassiness. However, there are several other subtle complexities that greatly improve the overall effect: wisps of honey, airy around the edges; light fruits - banana, apple & orange peel; a dash of clove & faint undertones of yeast. Pretty nice.

To taste, Hoosier Honey Wheat takes the structure of the nose & flips it around a bit. Apple, pear & banana hit upfront in conjunction with citrus zest & spicy clove. This seamlessly gives way to a solid wheat backdrop of toasted grains. Similar to the nose, the honey notes are far more modest than I had expected. Rather, they are very well ingrained with the rest of the flavors.

Medium-light bodied with ample carbonation that accentuates the spiciness. At first I though there was far too much carbonation, but it's mellowed out a little (still a tad much for my taste, but not bad). Seems like a spot of grittiness is in there but it's hard to tell with the carbonation. Wheat, clove & honey residuals linger. No appreciable alcohol. Seriously, 7.5% abv?

Hoosier Honey Wheat is quite the easy drinking beer. The weather is slightly cool & drizzly right now which may not be the choice conditions for enjoying this beer, but it's solid regardless. I'd imagine it would make for a decent "gateway" into craft beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

A little mini trade if you will with ryan01119284829429240274272842498. (The guy below this review).

I got this beer home and noticed the cap wasnt sealed fully and the beer was even leaking out around the neck a little bit. I figured it would have been totally flat and not worth a damn, but to my surprise I got a little hiss from the cap and a nice head.

A- So despite a loose cap it seems no carbonation was lost. I got a two finger high white head. The beer is very clouded. More clouded than many other APWAs Ive seen, which is a very good thing. Its a dirty pale orange color.

S- Bananas and honey. Its quite nice. Both are very strong with the banana being dominant. Many true hefeweizens struggle to achieve a smell this strong on nice banana and clove. There is also a bit of leafy hops.

T- Lots more banana and honey. Its quite sweet. I cant get over how strong the banana taste and smell is in this beer. Its very intense. I hope they didnt use some artificial flavorings... Its mostly all wheat, banana, slight clove and bubblegum and honey til the finish where some leafy hops come around and try to tie down the sweetness.

M- Sharp carbonation, dry finish and a medium, fluffy body.

D- Where the hell is this 7%+ ABV?!? I had to readjust my drinkablility score. Once I really dove into this beer I realized it was going away fast.

I didnt really expect much from this beer. It was just one pretty much given to me. I hadnt ever heard of this brewery let alone the town from which they operate, but I am thoroughly surprised. I want more... Thanks Ryan!

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

poured with a thick amber color into a dogfish head signature glass with 1/2 finger head.

very crisp, nice summer brew.

immediate impression of honey, spices and fruit - orange ?, banana ?

abv @ 7.5, but it sure doesn't seem like it. easily a beer you could drink on the porch all night.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. Cloudy gold body with lazy carbonation and white head that's little more than a skim, but it does leave some scattered lacing.

The beer's description and the hearty dose of banana and clove suggest this isn't necessarily an 'American Pale Wheat Ale' (per BAs description) at all, but some sort of hybrid. A darn tasty one, too. Tastes more or less just like it smells: full of banana, cloves and wheat, with a certain yeastiness and a fair amount of fruit- apple, pear, perhaps something else from the orchard. Just a touch of honeyish sweetness. The feel is on the thick side of medium, but the carbonation is more than enough to keep things moving along. The lack of booziness makes this one potentially dangerous.

Overall impression: Easy recommendation for one of those local gems that never would have been on my radar. The appearance rating drags my overall score down a notch or 2, but let the record show this one was quite enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Honey blonde with a fat soapy head of dense white suds that leave scraps of lace on the glass. Wheat malt and honey aromas are pretty strong in the nose. Soft banana, honey and plenty of wheat malt tang to keep it in order. A little bit on the lighter side of medium bodied. Either the recipe has changed/been perfected or I had a bad bottle of this the first time I tried it. A good beer if you like honey, it's a little much for me.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Served at room temperature.

Appearance: Cloudy golden yellow in color with a two and a half finger pillowy white head. Really good retention.

Aroma: Bananna, a touch of citrus and some breadiness in the aroma. Very sweet but not overpowering.

Taste: Bananna and honey upfront. The honey is actually very nice and not overpowering or cloying at all. A little touch of citrus in there too. Clean and refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Works nicely with the refreshing aspect of this beer.

Drinkability: Very smooth for the ABV, but the ABV is high for this style and makes me think I would stop at a couple.

Overall, a nice clean interpretation of the style. The honey is really nice. Not something that will blow you away, but all around solid.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a slightly hazy gold with two fingers of off white head that leaves decent lacing.  Smells are wheat, a little honey, banana, slight citrus and some sweet malts.  Tastes are yeast followed by honey, some banana and some wheat.  The yeast really shines and the honey sticks out but isn't too over the top.  Really nicely balanced, very surprised and impressed.  Mouthfeel is good with good carbonation and drinkability is very high.   I didn't expect this caliber of beer from such a new company.   This is a very, very good wheat beer.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

A - Pours a slightly hazy light gold with two fingers of white head that died down to a solid lacing that stuck around for longer than I expected.

S - Light wheat aroma along with honey sweetness. Imagine that, eh? Actually a bit fuller taste than you get out of most American Pale Wheat Ales.

T - I had my hopes built up for the taste of this, but the taste just doesn't deliver. The first taste is alcohol, like a shot of bad vodka. Next, the wheat flavor comes out a bit along with a bit of citrus zing. If that was all the flavor was, we would be looking at a higher taste score. The aftertaste is something like a strange mix of hard liquor and honey. Probably what I would get if I attempted to infuse vodka with honey.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh and unenjoyable. This beer is hard to choke down and not what I would call drinkable. I'm considering finding a funnel to drink this through.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to robwestcott for this extra.
12 oz. bottle poured into shaker pint.

A - 2 fingers bright white head. Lots of carbonation that fizzed through review. Little to no lacing. Cloudy to dull orange. A dozen or so dark sediment pieces that sank immediately.

S - Yeasty, touch of honey and clove.

T - Prominent banana, then came the honey and a nice clove finish. Some alcohol heat on the back end.

M - A little (surprisingly) strong but refreshing. Stayed at the back of the throat a little longer than I would have liked.

D - I was a little surprised with this one. This is not my favorite style but I was decently impressed. I don't think I'd want to drink more than 2 in a row, but this is a good little APWA.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Thanks to aasher for sending me this brew. Great to sample from brewery I've yet to try.

Label states 7.5% ABV, slightly above what's listed here.

Pours a slightly hazy, medium golden color with yellow highlights. 1-2 finger off-white head formed densely but didn't retain well. Nose of bananas, cloves, and lavender with the yeast-driven phenolics being most prominent. More of the banana character making its way to the palette. Hop bitterness is medium-light and a medium finish borders on lightly sweet. Medium-full in bodied with a moderate-high carbonation, nearly spritzy.

Overall a moderately refreshing wheat ale though I don't feel this fits the style well due to an overwhelming presence of non-American yeast character.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Maine Beer Company glass. Thanks to livewire78

A: Slightly cloudy light orange with some visible carbonation. Small amount of white head with decent retention. No lacing [edit: took a while to form, but there ended up being some lacing towards the end of the glass]

S: Floral notes, honey, sweet fruit, bubblegum, banana and cloves. Similar to a hefeweizen, but sweeter

T: While not present in the nose, wheat comes out here. As in the smell, this is like a sweet version of a hefeweizen

M: Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Dry finish

D: This drinks very easy with no sign of it being 7%. Great beer to drink on this hot summer day. Glad I have another sitting in the fridge

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »