Hoosier Honey Wheat - Bee Creek Brewery

Hoosier Honey WheatHoosier Honey Wheat

Bee Creek Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

Weizenbock |  7.50% ABV

"This beer is brewed with an addition of Indiana clover honey. The use of Weihenstephan Weizen yeast gives this wheat beer a hint of clover, orange, and banana flavors that blends well wiht the added wheat malt to produce a crisp, refreshing ale."

(Beer added by: JamesS on 11-04-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoosier Honey Wheat Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
alleykatking

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks to Lukafer for this beer!

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with light brown hues in there. One finger white head shows good retention and dies down to a light cap on the beer. Spotty lacing on the sides of the glass with little bits sinking back into the beer.

S- Light floral tones to this in the front. Banana and clove comes into play next. Light sweet honey notes make the beer come to life more in the nose. Light alcohol in the backend brings everything together.

T- Honey stands out more in the front which I find really interesting. Banana and cloves come out in the middle with some light wheat flavors coming into the backing. Alcohol and sweet honey comes up on the end. The honey I was surprised came about and was a dominate flavor in the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Honey, banana, and clove are left on the palate with honey and alcohol long into the aftertaste. Flavors are well blended and balanced. Alcohol has light drying on the palate. Flavors are clean and crisp.

D- This beer is very good. The alcohol is very well hidden and makes this drinkable. I was surprised with this beer and look forward to their other creations. Fantastic beer I couldn't get enough of it.

10-05-2010 05:47:28 | More by alleykatking
OakedCanuck

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to robwestcott for this extra.
12 oz. bottle poured into shaker pint.

A - 2 fingers bright white head. Lots of carbonation that fizzed through review. Little to no lacing. Cloudy to dull orange. A dozen or so dark sediment pieces that sank immediately.

S - Yeasty, touch of honey and clove.

T - Prominent banana, then came the honey and a nice clove finish. Some alcohol heat on the back end.

M - A little (surprisingly) strong but refreshing. Stayed at the back of the throat a little longer than I would have liked.

D - I was a little surprised with this one. This is not my favorite style but I was decently impressed. I don't think I'd want to drink more than 2 in a row, but this is a good little APWA.

09-10-2010 15:26:33 | More by OakedCanuck
Destral

Nevada

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance:
Pours a nice golden color, hazy, with sizable head that quickly dissapates.

Smell:
I get a faint spiciness on the aroma, perhaps from the Belgian yeast. There is also a sweet honey smell present but not overpowering. Some banana is also there typical of a hefeweizen.

Taste:
The honey is unsurprisingly up front. After the honey a lot of the standard hefeweizen flavors make an appearance - banana, clove, malted wheat. The sweetness on finish is more of a bubble gum though.

Mouthfeel:
The beer feels a lot heavier than expected. There is a bit of dryness and good carbonation.

Drinkability:
The booze is well hidden, but it definitely drinks more like a 7% beer because of the heaviness.

Overall I think this was a solid effort. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but considering it was a regional trade extra I doubt I will come across it again. I am curious as how this compares to Gumbalhead, which I will actually be cracking open soon.

09-02-2010 06:26:23 | More by Destral
Brez07

Maine

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Maine Beer Company glass. Thanks to livewire78

A: Slightly cloudy light orange with some visible carbonation. Small amount of white head with decent retention. No lacing [edit: took a while to form, but there ended up being some lacing towards the end of the glass]

S: Floral notes, honey, sweet fruit, bubblegum, banana and cloves. Similar to a hefeweizen, but sweeter

T: While not present in the nose, wheat comes out here. As in the smell, this is like a sweet version of a hefeweizen

M: Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Dry finish

D: This drinks very easy with no sign of it being 7%. Great beer to drink on this hot summer day. Glad I have another sitting in the fridge

07-16-2010 22:57:40 | More by Brez07
MbpBugeye

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

A little mini trade if you will with ryan01119284829429240274272842498. (The guy below this review).

I got this beer home and noticed the cap wasnt sealed fully and the beer was even leaking out around the neck a little bit. I figured it would have been totally flat and not worth a damn, but to my surprise I got a little hiss from the cap and a nice head.

A- So despite a loose cap it seems no carbonation was lost. I got a two finger high white head. The beer is very clouded. More clouded than many other APWAs Ive seen, which is a very good thing. Its a dirty pale orange color.

S- Bananas and honey. Its quite nice. Both are very strong with the banana being dominant. Many true hefeweizens struggle to achieve a smell this strong on nice banana and clove. There is also a bit of leafy hops.

T- Lots more banana and honey. Its quite sweet. I cant get over how strong the banana taste and smell is in this beer. Its very intense. I hope they didnt use some artificial flavorings... Its mostly all wheat, banana, slight clove and bubblegum and honey til the finish where some leafy hops come around and try to tie down the sweetness.

M- Sharp carbonation, dry finish and a medium, fluffy body.

D- Where the hell is this 7%+ ABV?!? I had to readjust my drinkablility score. Once I really dove into this beer I realized it was going away fast.

I didnt really expect much from this beer. It was just one pretty much given to me. I hadnt ever heard of this brewery let alone the town from which they operate, but I am thoroughly surprised. I want more... Thanks Ryan!

07-03-2010 03:51:03 | More by MbpBugeye
Ryan011235

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a pint glass on 6/8/10

Thanks to livewire78

I could tell on the pour this is a densely hazy beer. Pineapple gold with highlights of apricot in the middle, it's certainly apparent how cloudy it is; almost to the point of fruit smoothie. A one & a half finger head rose & fell pretty quickly with audible carbonation. Minimal retention & basically no lace until the end of the glass.

Wheat & toasted grains suggest a standard-fare aroma; one with a penchant for grassiness. However, there are several other subtle complexities that greatly improve the overall effect: wisps of honey, airy around the edges; light fruits - banana, apple & orange peel; a dash of clove & faint undertones of yeast. Pretty nice.

To taste, Hoosier Honey Wheat takes the structure of the nose & flips it around a bit. Apple, pear & banana hit upfront in conjunction with citrus zest & spicy clove. This seamlessly gives way to a solid wheat backdrop of toasted grains. Similar to the nose, the honey notes are far more modest than I had expected. Rather, they are very well ingrained with the rest of the flavors.

Medium-light bodied with ample carbonation that accentuates the spiciness. At first I though there was far too much carbonation, but it's mellowed out a little (still a tad much for my taste, but not bad). Seems like a spot of grittiness is in there but it's hard to tell with the carbonation. Wheat, clove & honey residuals linger. No appreciable alcohol. Seriously, 7.5% abv?

Hoosier Honey Wheat is quite the easy drinking beer. The weather is slightly cool & drizzly right now which may not be the choice conditions for enjoying this beer, but it's solid regardless. I'd imagine it would make for a decent "gateway" into craft beer.

06-09-2010 02:54:36 | More by Ryan011235
TMoney2591

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Nothin' like sippin' on a nice APWA while listening to Dream Theater's "As I Am". (If you haven't heard the album "Train of Thought", check it out now!) This bottle is left over from the infamous DLD/Grand Prix trip (big thanks to B-Hight for procuring the goods!). The beer pours a clear pale golden straw, though something tells me it aspires to one day have some haze of its own (not bloody likely...I ain't made o' money, con sarn it!). Somewhere around a finger of white foamy head grows at the surface, diminishing to a constant shadow of its former self. Bubbles stream from the base, giving gravity the finger while shouting out to champagnes of years gone by. As Sam Cooke croons "(What a) Wonderful World", I take a sniff: A healthy dose of deep honey hits my 'strils, a rare occurrence for beers that claim to include bees' means. Some light wheat and floral notes are there, too, but don't try very hard to stand out (fuckin' wallflowers...). Boston's "Amanda" is now underway...which means I'm taking way too damn long in finishing this review. The taste shows a definite honey influence, but some blunt bitterness ensures that the proceedings are not dominated by bee-borne sweetness. That vague sense of grainy wheat returns, begging for a sequel to showcase its "awesome talent" (its words, not mine). Ain't gonna happen, though. As some badass guitar work makes me realize that "I could be happy the rest of my life with a cinnamon girl", I note that the body is fairly light and has a lightly moderate carbonation. I gotta say, for a random Hoosier brew that came to my attention by chance, this guy turned out pretty tastily. Now, I'm gonna finish this glass and continue rockin' out. Prosit!

06-01-2010 01:35:36 | More by TMoney2591
aasher

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden in color and very transparent. Good amount of carbonation, fizzy.

Smell: Smells very sweet and of honey, very slight yeast smell on the backend

Taste: Very good flavor. For a comparison I'd say it's similar to Gumballhead from 3 Floyd's, but sweeter. It's sweet and the presence of honey is very noticeable. One of the guys I was with said it reminded him of some kind of bubblegum.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Is very light and carbonated. It's almost like drinking a soda.

Drinkability: Is highly drinkable. Is both flavorful and light. The 7% may surprise and isn't overly present.

I really enjoyed this beer. It was something new and had a higher alcohol content than most other Pale Wheat Ales. I really appreciated how genuine this interpretation on the Pale Wheat was. I'd recommend picking up this six pack if you can. It's a good summer session beer with a subtle kick.

Edit: After having this beer several times I can say that there is a lot of "batch" variation. Now it seems to feature more honey that it did initially and doesn't feature the hoppiness it used to. I officially retract my statement that it's anything like Gumballhead since the first batches of this are superior to today's product.

05-22-2010 13:42:24 | More by aasher
Kaiser81

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Hayesz.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Stone RIS snifter.

A - A hazy amberish orangish that has about a finger and a half width of head. It stays nicely leaving some lacing on my glass.

S - Lots of fruits and spices, and a touch of honey. I can't quite pick out which fruits. It's almost like light citrus mixed with pineapple and/or kiwi...something like that. It's quite nice.

T - Taste kind of follows the nose. There are a mix of fruit tastes going on, with some spice, and a bit of sweetness...from the honey? But there's this kind of flavor, like cheap alcohol, that lingers. I'm not digging that.

M - Light body with high carbonation...maybe a bit too high.

D - It's ok. Good for a warm summer's day, but not something I'd specifically choose to drink.

05-21-2010 05:56:26 | More by Kaiser81
BARFLYB

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

"I had a bananer in there"- Junior Soprano S,6

Thanks Oglmcdgl for the split & thanks to the trader who provided it.

Hoosier honey looks a bit darker than many APWA I've had. A mix of muddled yellow with golden trimmings and a shade of light tan. The foam reached a quarter inch appearing off-white and then jetted, no lace.

The smell is straight bananas, not bananas in a over the top way but just a rush of the mushed bananers. Under that a bit of wheat and some alcohol escapes as well. A good amount of pale malts as well make for a big sweetness mixed with light honey.

Perhaps Bee Creek should of named this Hoosier Banana Wheat as it would of been more appropriate. It's the main taste mixed in with some malted barley and small drops of honey. Banana in the front, honey and small wheat in the middle, alcohol and malt afterwards. The banana remains.

A step below medium in build. This is quite thicker than most in the style, it does not go down easy and light enough. Carb is there but gets masked a bit under the thickish coat. Sweet in the mouth with a hit of heat. There is nothing pale about this. The drinkability suffers because, well, I just don't like it. I finished my glass real quick, no need to warm this up.

05-13-2010 04:38:05 | More by BARFLYB
mwa423

2.63/5  rDev -31%

A - Pours a slightly hazy light gold with two fingers of white head that died down to a solid lacing that stuck around for longer than I expected.

S - Light wheat aroma along with honey sweetness. Imagine that, eh? Actually a bit fuller taste than you get out of most American Pale Wheat Ales.

T - I had my hopes built up for the taste of this, but the taste just doesn't deliver. The first taste is alcohol, like a shot of bad vodka. Next, the wheat flavor comes out a bit along with a bit of citrus zing. If that was all the flavor was, we would be looking at a higher taste score. The aftertaste is something like a strange mix of hard liquor and honey. Probably what I would get if I attempted to infuse vodka with honey.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh and unenjoyable. This beer is hard to choke down and not what I would call drinkable. I'm considering finding a funnel to drink this through.

05-12-2010 03:22:07 | More by mwa423
oglmcdgl

12 oz bottle split with onix1agr.

A- pours a hazy golden yellow with a small cap of white foam.

S- big time bananas and dipped in honey and served on wheat bread.

T- sweet honey and a malty hit. Lots of wheat bread a bit of bananas and cloves. Ever so faint booziness with some warming.

M- light to medium body and medium carb. Semi dry finish.

D- nice stuff, very refreshing but nothing I'd seek out again.

05-12-2010 00:28:34 | More by oglmcdgl
biggred1

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Honey blonde with a fat soapy head of dense white suds that leave scraps of lace on the glass. Wheat malt and honey aromas are pretty strong in the nose. Soft banana, honey and plenty of wheat malt tang to keep it in order. A little bit on the lighter side of medium bodied. Either the recipe has changed/been perfected or I had a bad bottle of this the first time I tried it. A good beer if you like honey, it's a little much for me.

04-29-2010 23:32:29 | More by biggred1
SirSketch

3.85/5  rDev +1%

A - First pours golden yellow until the yeast slurry is added, making it slightly cloudy and slightly more orange in color. A white head clings.

S - Honey is very apparent and comes off much like the smell of honeysuckle. Sweet wort sort of maltiness. Powdery, yeasty bread dough. Some bubblegum. Intriguing, for sure.

T - Honey tastes similar to mead. Bready yeast makes up a lot of the flavor. Some lemon zest, but not really any citrus character. Alcohol is overt, which makes sense with the slightly higher abv for a wheat (7.5%).

M/D - Mouth is kind of thin, but refreshing, even for the high abv. Interesting beer with a small-batch or homebrew character to it that actually makes the beer more personal. I'd like to try more from Bee Creek.

04-20-2010 01:04:59 | More by SirSketch
robwestcott

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

poured with a thick amber color into a dogfish head signature glass with 1/2 finger head.

very crisp, nice summer brew.

immediate impression of honey, spices and fruit - orange ?, banana ?

abv @ 7.5, but it sure doesn't seem like it. easily a beer you could drink on the porch all night.

04-16-2010 00:04:49 | More by robwestcott
vurt

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz. bottle enjoyed with route66pubs and lighttreason. (Thanks folks!)

Appearance:
Beautiful honey gold tinted with orange. Not just hazy, this one is full-on cloudy. Not much retention in the snowy white, finely beaded head, though a sturdy collar of foam persists to the bottom of the glass.

Smell:
Good spicy, phenolic character. Plenty of cloves and bubblegum. Sweet honey mixes with an unexpected bit of lemony tartness and a hint of funk like a berliner weisse. Overall, it's good but not quite great.

Taste:
Improves nicely upon the nose. Definite honey sweetness right up front, on top of a good bready wheat and malt base. Very spicy through the middle, which lightens the sweetness. A drop of tartness leads into a long finish with plenty of grain and honey. The finish lingers and takes on a delicious, rich butterscotch note at the very end.

Mouthfeel:
Almost creamy. Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the palate until the lively carbonation scrubs it clean in preparation for the next sip.

Drinkability:
Well, the bottle says 7.5%, but it drinks as if it was half that. A little too heavy to have more than 1 or 2. A tasty and satisfying example of a style I don't usually reach for. I hadn't heard of this beer or this brewery before. But after enjoying this beer, I'd be more than happy to try other offerings from Bee Creek Brewery. Worth seeking out.

04-11-2010 00:55:40 | More by vurt
route66pubs

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a deep, thick golden color, with a very thick white 2-finger head from a hard pour. Lack of clearness indicates an unfiltered brew rich in honey.

Honey and wheat overwhelm the aroma ... with the honey sweetness lingering long in the nose.

Good honey flavor, but seems to not have a lot more. This, however, is a great thing. The honey sweetness makes this one incredibly tasty, delightful, easy-drinking beer. It may lack depth and nuance, but no one can fault this beer for that. It perfectly straightforward with absolutely nothing getting in its way. And its quite delectable for it.

Crisp, tiny bubbles play wonders all over your tongue and mouth. A delight from the lips to the back of the mouth and on down the throat. This is a beer I could thoroughly enjoying sipping on through all of Los Angeles' hot summer days. Refreshing, to be sure.

7%ABV? Where the hell did that came from? If it were not for that, I could definitely consider this a session beer. I could drink this all night and the next day and never stop enjoying it. Nothing about this makes it seem like it can get in the way. If I had a case, I'd happily consider polishing it all off right now. (That's a hint for the ISO threads, by the way!)

Overall, while this may not be an outstanding beer in terms of knocking your socks off with something different, this beer is very straightforward and exactly what you would expect. And you have to love it for that. Very easy-going and enjoyable, this could easily be my every day beer if it were brewed local to me. Thanks to livewire78 for the trade, and especially for that second bottle of it!

04-09-2010 04:04:38 | More by route66pubs
Brettster

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

The Hoosier Honey Wheat pours a heavy golden color with one finger white head that faded fairly quickly.

I can smell the sweet honey and hints of fruit. There is also a slight hint of alcohol and hops in the nose.

Very well balanced honey wheat. In my opinion some honey wheats are just too sweet. This one is just right. There is also a very slight hop and alcohol bite at the end, but not too pronounced. The wheat gives this beer a very smooth mouthfeel.

It is very drinkable for the 7% alcohol. Although I wouldn't drink too many.

04-05-2010 12:54:57 | More by Brettster
livewire78

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a nice golden honey color-duh. Head is nice and pillowy white with decent retention. Minimal lacing but I don't care.

I get bananas, hops, clove?, and honey in the nose. It's pleasant but I wasn't expecting all the banana. Reminds me of a Hef. Not the old man with the 22 year old girlfriends.

This is where the beer shines. The flavor profile is simple and complex at the same time. Banana, hops, clove with a small tinge of pale malt do at least 3 laps around the taste buds before every swallow. The longer you hold it in your mouth the deeper and more prevelant the flavors become. There is a balance here that outshines every other wheat I've personally had.

Mouthfeel is pretty light. Typical for a wheat. No used motor oil here.

I could session this for a whole night...come to think of it I have. The 7.5% would sneak up and kick your ass if you did though as it did mine.

I sure hope this brewery makes more beers because this is actually pretty outstounding for a wheat.

01-11-2010 20:48:04 | More by livewire78
JKrout

Alabama

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance: This poured a nice golden color. Didn't have much of a head, but that was probably more my fault than the beer (I was in a hurry to try it and didn't pour it as carefully as I should have).

Smell: Nice mix of wheat and honey

Taste: I really liked the flavor. Nice balance between the honey and wheat. A bit of an alcohol kick as it warmed.

Mouthfeel: Crisp.

Drinkability: This went down fairly well. It's light enough for a warm summer evening, but the warming effect of the alcohol worked well on a cool fall night too.

11-05-2009 15:53:18 | More by JKrout
JamesS

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a nice deep golden color with some very nice head (especially for a wheat beer) and nice lacing. Good aroma, nice summer wheat scents with a sweet honey tinge; nice crispness toned down by the honey. Great taste, a thick and rich wheat beer with a wonderful honey flavor; nice cross between a wheat beer and a mead. A little roughness going down from the high ABV, but still quite nice. Tried both warm and cold and prefer the warm version for its higher honey and wheat attributes, although the warm version also has a more pronounced alcohol tinge. A great Indiana beer made with Indiana honey.

11-04-2009 13:04:46 | More by JamesS