33 Export - VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)

33 Export33 Export

poor

good

VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters) visit their website
Viet Nam

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jackndan on 08-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 33 Export Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a clear golen color with a fairly large , bubbly white head , left a moderate lace. The aroma is clean, with thin hints of malt and grassy hop. Taste is also on the thin side , very similar to most Macros , slight grain and hop , clean. Mouthfeel is clean and thin. A drinkable beer , nothing special in my book though.

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

appearance: Typical pale golden with a low white head

smell: The dominant aromas are a boozy, rice wine type aroma, and maybe some off alcohols. Slight aroma of aged hops and grain.

mouthfeel: Fizzy, thin mouthfeel

taste: Similar to the aroma, except for that the rice/corn flavor is more obvious. Reminds me of the peary aromas of some chardonnay at first, but I think it is the cereal grain. Light hop presence.

drinkability: not bad, not good

from some Thai restaurant, served in a pilsner glass

2.88/5  rDev +3.2%

33 Export pours a straw color with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle that has a foil wrapped neck/cap. Sweet adjunct aroma, nothing offensive. Very sweet tasting at first, nothing really bad about it, just not good either. Probably better than I expected, which isn't saying a real lot.

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

good beer, good lager, very tasty, the bottle is very heavy in weight for some reason not sure why the glass seems thicker, not that that has anything to do with the taste but interesting none the less.

we drank this in a glass from the bottle, very crisp taste, good outdoor hot weather beer.

the taste and mouthfeel were better than the average appearance and drinkability, maybe can have two at a time not a big session beer.

I would buy again.

4.1/5  rDev +47%

I had this beer at H.K. Golden Phoenix in Philly.

This beer poured a healthy gold with slight brown highlights and a thin film of head.

Smells of honey, wheat and bread dough. (Not so) surprisingly it smells decidedly lager-like.

Tastes of peach and lemons with a slight flour and bread dough that thickens this up. I’m really surprised at how clean and refreshing this one is.

The mouth feel is light with a very effervescent carbonation that works well with the flavor.

This is super refreshing, simple and tasty. I’ll say this a fantastic beer saved best for a hot summer day.

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a super pale straw color with a finger width head that subsides to a film that sticks around for the duration of the beer. Smell is weak at best with no hops some malt and I think some rice. Taste is pretty weak as well, slight hint of hops, and some maltyness that taste watered down. Thin in the mouth with some decent carbination. Not much special about this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -5%

Was curious, so bought a bottle and poured it into a pokal.

A: Wow, it's sooo pale. Crystal clear, with a few light streams of carbonated bubbles, it's straw colored and came with half a finger's width of white head. The head certainly didn't linger very long, and left absolutely no lacing.

S: Very biscuity, so at least it adheres to the style in that respect. Cereal malts, adjuncts, something kind of sour and fruity, like apples...I'm trying to pick up the hops but they haven't much of a presence.

T: My first impressions would be to compare it to Seltzer and Cheerios. At first it's admittedly rather vacant and boring, like a seltzer, with the taste (but not necessary the feeling) of carbonation. Then midway through the cereal malts come through, very grainy and again, somewhat boring. Probably rice too, as its Vietnamese. Towards the end, at the back of the tongue, you get the sour/bitter taste of what is probably adjuncts but strikes me as sour apples. This, and the grainy flavors, linger a bit. Not much of any hops to speak of.

M: Again, I'd have to say seltzer. Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Crisp, but whether or not it's refreshing is debatable.

D: It's not offensive. I wouldn't go out of my way, and certainly wouldn't pass up better beers for this, but if it were offered to me I would not turn it down. Being pretty light and not very alcoholic, I could easily enjoy a six pack of this on a hot afternoon with a friend, as long as he was buying.

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Well, first I thought that this was a pretty lame macro type lager – but it’s a Dortmunder, eh?

Welp, I did note malty biscuits on my tasting, so maybe this one meets, although weakly, the style requirements.

I mean, geez, crystal clear straw yellow, tiny lil’ white head on the pour. Steamed veggies in the nose. Even with the biscuits notes, this one is more tonic water than beer.

It would be a easy one to slam on the 90+ degree days in the steamy south Asian areas.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Pale golden color, quite clear, with a small white head, and an abundance of fine, slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Hints of apple, grain, and light hops.

Taste: Opens with mildly sweet corn malt, mild apple notes, and a sharp metallic bitterness, which lingers throughout the taste. Finishes quite dry.

Mouth feel: Thin, with slightly rough carbonation, almost an Alka-Seltzer-like feel.

Drinkability/notes: An uninspiring example, scarcely a Dortmunder.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Clear, pale gold in hue; there isn’t much color depth. At least there was a steady stream of animation dancing to the white foam. At the apex the head was two fingers tall. Head retention was solid, after a couple moments a tight cap was all that remained (a thin collar lasted the entire consumption). There was some vague, spotty lacing. Overall, the appearance is typical of the style.

The nose is perfumey sweet with cereal and husk undercurrents. Generally speaking the nose is a mix of adjuncts and malt with no mention of hops. Based on the nose I don’t expect this to be a clean or crisp lager. I hope I am wrong. Moderately low potency, not chatty… it gets to the point quickly but that is not necessary a good thing. Is that plastic I smell now? Oh crap…

The palate is very, very… bland. Upfront it is clean and empty, in the middle I found a tickle of husk, and the finish is polluted with sweetness that is a mix of malt and adjunct. It is almost like children’s cereal. No sign of hops. Not very crisp, nor is it refreshing. While the palate is not out-and-out offensive there is little going on here I care for. It’s time to move on.

Almost medium in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel isn’t too bad really. There is enough body; I wish there was more in the flavor department to match this aspect of the beer. Oh well.

Drinkable? Well, let me put it this way. I put my glass down did a few other things and forgot about it. Yeah, that says it all. This is just a boring, run-of-the-mill Adjunct Lager. I purchased my bottle in Council Bluffs, IA as part of a mix six-pack of import beers from “odd” countries. Skip it. Goodnight Vietnam.

3.28/5  rDev +17.6%

I got this beer from MABZ as part of the 2006 Great Race BIF.

This beer pours a clear light straw yellow color with a white fluffy head. The head fades slowly, leaving minimal laces. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rise from the botom of the glass.

This beer has a mild spicy aroma. It has a slight grassy hop aroma. It smells of grainy malts also. It has a light citrus aroma. To tell the truith, I am a bit surprised by the aroma. It is kind of good.

This beer tastes of grainy malts. It has a citrus flavor also. Slight spice notes are present. It is ever so slightly sweet tasting. The grainy malt flavor is a little overbearing.

This beer is a little overcarbonated. Otherwise, it is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grainy aftertaste.

This beer might be a decent session beer. It is low in alcohol, and the flavor, with the exception of a little too much grainy flavor, is not too overbearing. I doubt I will go out of my way to have this beer in the future, but I am glad to have tried it. Thank you MABZ for this opportunity to try another country.

2.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Bright yellowish gold with a few large bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass and a few miniscule ones zipping up to an attractive cap. Brilliant white in color, the head has a great deal of character brought about by an impressive amount of stickiness. No crappy macro lager lid here. As expected, there's a fair amount of lace as well.

The nose isn't half bad. I'm thankful that no truly nasty odors are evident; never a certainty in beer from the Far East (or from the Near West for that matter). The beer smells of sweetish cereal grain and reminds me of a malt liquor minus the ethanol.

Things aren't so good on the palate. The somewhat sweet, semi-freshness of the nose has been replaced by an industrial, chemical-tinged graininess that isn't off-putting exactly, but neither is it enjoyable in any sense of the word. It tastes like a decent beer that was lagered in stainless steel drums that had previously held some variety of bug spray and that hadn't been scrubbed entirely clean.

That off-flavor isn't prominent enough to dominate the grainy maltiness of the beer, but neither can it be ignored in any given mouthful. The nose led me astray in another way as well. There's a slight corn syrupy sweetness, but bitter and ultimately dry rule the day. I wouldn't go so far as to call it crisp, but there is a certain brittleness about the finish.

The body is medium for the style (at best) and neither adds anything of value, nor annoys in any appreciable way. Carbonation impressions didn't approach me, I had to go looking for them; which tells me that there's nothing overly off-base about that characteristic either. What all of this blather means is that I consider the body/mouthfeel to be average for the style and less than average in a general sense.

I haven't been impressed with Vietnamese beer and 33 Export does nothing to alter my impressions. A colleague who eats a lot of Vietnamese food at a local restaurant swears by this beer so I had to give it a try. Thanks to the '33', when I order my reviews by beer name, this one will appear near the top of the list. When I order them by rating, however, it will be nearly as close to the bottom.

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

Picked this up just to try something diferent & cheap.

Pours a static light apple juice yellow with no cap and a few scant bubbles.

Aroma is rice adjunct and a touch of honey grain.

First swigs: Lightly sweet with a narrow flavor of rice grain and dry gentle hop. Some middle of candy corn.

Thin body and gentle carbonation.

Last swig: Regretable inedible and forgetable. Prob'ly beter out of the bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

What else are you going to drink when you're waiting for your Vietnamese take-out order? This pours out very pale gold, the color of dried straw, with a frothy, noisy head of pale white froth that quickly sizzles away.

Aroma is grainey malts, grass, and a faint herbal note. Smells very much like your typical macro lager.

Flavor slightly better than the nose. Clean tasting corny malt sweetness throughout with hints of wet cardboard and a meagerly hopped finish of light bitter herbs and dry grass. Clean tasting, but certainly underwhelming.

Body is thin as expected, with active carbonation and a gritty, bubbly mouthfeel. I guess it would go well with the food, but not too great by itself.

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

Bottle Inspection: Dortmunder?! Please, let’s not get out of hand… My bottle only shows the “33”, not the “333” in the picture.

Aroma: Some mild esters, mostly apple, but very mild aroma over all. The esters are out of place in this “lager”.

Appearance: Thick golden glass shows active carbonation streams that feed a good ring of off white that leaves a trace of lace.

Flavor: Wet paper. The apple esters come through a bit in the overall “clean” taste but there are not real “beer” flavors to hold my interest.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation but over the top. Lingering finish but reasonably dry.

Overall Impression: Not very enjoyable, but not awful. Much better than the last Vietnamese beer I had. Still, hard to recommend.

3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

Served from a foil-wrapped 12oz. bottle in a pilsener glass at just above fridge temperature.

A - Pours the palest of pale golds with lots of active carbonation. Bubbles stick like crazy to the sides of the glass and rocket upward from the bottom. Even that, however, can not keep the head -- initally foamy and about 1/2 finger in height -- from sinking to a thin film. The bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass remind me of fish gently breaking the surface of a pond to nibble some floating food.

S - Cold and grainy with notes of sweet maltiness and a distinct European hoppiness. I might say that I smell some adjuncts, but that would only be a guess. That's about it.

T - Crisp on the intake with a hint of light maltiness, developing a sweetness in the middle that lingers through the finish, eventually becoming a touch cloying in the back of the throat. Light hop bitterness is apparent only in the swallow, but doesn't hang around for the aftertaste. As you drink this beer, the taste seems to get washed out and in the end winds up tasting like any old beer.

M - A bit too animated for my tastes, but given the style, it's not bad at all. Rises to a decent volume and goes down without feeling too gassy.

D - While this beer on its own is nothing too far from average, it is best suited for drinking either as a backyard BBQ thirst quencher or as a pairing to a nice, spicy Vietnamese (or any Southeast Asian) meal.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

Medium clear gold with a very thin head of large bubbles, this has an aroma of "cheap lager" -- sweet, grassy, corny, slightly alcoholic smelling.

Taste -- Surprisingly decent for the smell. Sweet (but not cloying) malt liquor upfront, dries slightly towards the finish. Little if any adjunct or off flavor, and no grain alcohol notes to be found. Very mild bittering hops, and a light, tangy, almost white wine note.

Not bad for a plain "vanilla" beer.

3.83/5  rDev +37.3%

I got this in a terrible sampler pack from World Market. I've been afraid to drink it because of the other beers it was bundled with. I was pleasantly surprised with it. The smell is fairly week, but dominated by sweet malts. It poured with little head, as it is lightly carbonated. There is little hops taste. It is mostly malts. It reminds me of sweeter version of Heineken Dark. It has a clean finish. The color is very similar to apple juice. I was planning on finishing it off with spicy food, but it was good enough that it outlasted the food and made me wish I had another. This would be a good session beer if it weren't so hard to find at a reasonable price.

3.53/5  rDev +26.5%

When in Rome...or in this case, a the Vietnam Palace restaurant in Philly, so I gave 33 a shot, and I'm glad I did.

The bottle was ice cold and the glass was frosted, which probably helped with this beer. The head was fluffy and creamy. When I just tasted the head, it had not just a creamy mouthfeel, but even a dairy cream kind of taste. (I suppose this provides a lesson in the effect mouthfeel has on sensory perception.)

The taste had the clean, crisp taste you'd expect from a well-made yet conventional lager, but it also had some nice, sweet grains, like a mildly sweet cake.

This would go well with spicy food. I think it had a strong enough taste to hold its own. I wouldn't seek this one out, but if you're in an asian restaurant and choices are scant, this one will do the trick.

1.93/5  rDev -30.8%

Bottle from a Vietnamese restaurant in Brookline, MA. "33" does nothing to dispell the stereotype that Asian nations make lousy beers. In fact, this even makes Singha or Tsing Tao seem tasty by comparison.

Poured a pale yellow color with little carbonation and even less head. Almost no aroma. The initial taste was inoffensive, if watery, but the aftertaste had a definite off-note, almost metallic.

If not for the idiosyncratic name, "33" would have nothing going for it.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

Sampled last evening at a pho joint in Columbia. Presented as an ice cold 12 oz brown bottle. There was no freshness date or info about the beer.

Appearance: Pale golden colored brew with an initial rush of fizzy carbonation feeding a tight bubbled, but short lasting, head. Okay lacing on the sides of the highball glass.

Smell: Had a very clean smell, with very faint echos of hay and malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This was extremely crisp and clean drinking brew. My wife called it "slick", though I wouldn't go so far as to call it buttery. Very nice malty brew that was quite grassy with a crisp hop finish that balanced pretty nicely. Finishes just as clean as it starts

If I was sweating my balls off near the Mekhong River, I'd definitely go for this brew before any rot gut local whiskey/rum. I really enjoyed the flavor profile, considering the crowd this beer travels with. It was actually more enjoyable than a cold Singha...

2.65/5  rDev -5%

The beer pours a pale yellow color with a thin white lace head and some yeast floaties. The aroma is average. It has a dry pale malt scent with some adjuncts and a slightly spicey lager yeast aroma. The taste is horrible. It has a light pale malt flavor that is watered down and slightly metallic. It goes down easy, but it has a dry and spicey finish; not very good. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer is horrible. It's the first beer I ever tried from Vietnam. I hope for their sake that there are others available. It has less than average taste and drinkability. I'm on my way to the sink to dump this one.

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours nice into a pilsner glass. Bright yellow with a huge, foamy head.

Slight smell of apples and apricots. Pretty nice, actually, but faint, and completely overpowered by an odor of metal once it begins to warm up. Smells a lot like Old Milwaukee, actually.

What a dull and lifeless taste! There's the slightest hint of grainy malts and then it goes into watery nothingness that's backed up by a very slight hop bite at the end that tastes like skunk.

It's like I'm drinking water that gives me dyspepsia. Waste of money.

1.8/5  rDev -35.5%

I don't make a habit of sampling and reviewing such poorly rated beers, but I've always been fascinated by Vietnam, a country that only a high draft lottery number kept me from visiting, courtesy of the US government, over three decades ago. This beer pours a clear straw yellow body, with a minimal offwhite head that quickly falls into film and a few patches of lace. Aroma is ghastly, with burnt plastic, a hint of sulfuric hops, and some corn syrup. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Tastes like a lower tier, adjunct lager. Biscuity maltiness has a corn syrupy sweetness and the hops are mildly "Euroskunk" sulfuric. This one was a chore to finish. Very little, if any, to recommend here and it seems to be an adjunct lager rather than a Dortmunder Export.

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

What can I say, this is Vietnam's budweiser. Whats even sadder is the fact that Vietnamese people would rather drink Heineken instead of this. Most tourists give it a go, because well... they're tourists.

Appearance: Straw yellow.

Smell: Didnt really smell much. Slight fruity smell. Apples?

Taste: Bland. with a fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonization, but pretty average.

Drinkability: Guh, if you really want beer in Vietnam, drink Heineken. It might not be real Heineken, it might be if your lucky, but it will still taste better than 333.

33 Export from VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)