33 Export - VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)

33 Export33 Export

poor

VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters) visit their website
Viet Nam

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jackndan on 08-17-2002)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 33 Export Alström Bros
GraduatedCashew

08-21-2012 05:49:50 | More by Mississippi
avalon07

South Carolina

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

A: When I poured this one from a bottle to a pilsener glass, it had a clear texture and golden yellow color. Head was almost nonexistent, as was lacing.

S: To me, the aroma was nearly undetectable. I picked up a bit of hops, but little else.

T: There was some rice and hops in the flavor, but it didn't jump out at you in any way. Had a decent bite to it, but that's it.

M: Below average carbonation and a dry finish. Doesn't have a huge amount of body to it, but it's not bad either.

D: For a mass-produced beer, this is OK. Nonetheless, this doesn't make it a good beer.

04-20-2008 15:20:25 | More by avalon07
biggred1

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

Clear, light golden with a shock white head that leaves scraps of lace on the glass as it falls. Untoasted grain, corn grits and faint green apple skin in the nose. Grainy, husky and slightly sweet to start with some creamed corn-like flavor that turns dry with some cracker flavor in the finish. I think this beer is imported for the sole purpose of filling a need for Vietnamese restaurants and giving Vietnamese Americans a taste of home, it doesn't do much for me.

06-07-2011 02:06:06 | More by biggred1
zeff80

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Poured out a pale gold color with a foamy, white, one-finger. Highly carbonated.

S - Smelled of corn and grains.

T - Tasted fairly sweet and a little smoky. Also, a noticeable rice flavor.

M - It was smooth and dry. A light-bodied brew.

D - Not a bad beer. It certainly had an interesting taste. However, I don't feel an overwhelming desire to grab another.

03-27-2007 01:28:15 | More by zeff80
kenito799

Served at Nha Trang restaurant, Manhattan

Typical golden lager color with typical active carbonation and not much head.

Aroma fresh and clean, not skunked, malty.

Refreshing and crisp on the palate, not a bad example of the adjunct lager style, certainly a better choice than Tsingtao for you Asian food accompaniment.

01-28-2012 19:39:17 | More by kenito799
blackie

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

appearance: Typical pale golden with a low white head

smell: The dominant aromas are a boozy, rice wine type aroma, and maybe some off alcohols. Slight aroma of aged hops and grain.

mouthfeel: Fizzy, thin mouthfeel

taste: Similar to the aroma, except for that the rice/corn flavor is more obvious. Reminds me of the peary aromas of some chardonnay at first, but I think it is the cereal grain. Light hop presence.

drinkability: not bad, not good

from some Thai restaurant, served in a pilsner glass

08-22-2006 16:50:48 | More by blackie
hero27

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Golden, straw color. Head holds remarkably well for such a light beer..I was impressed, even though the overall appearance was nothing too special.

Smell: Grainy aroma...reminds me of the mass-produced American macros actually...and yes, "American Macro" are two dirty words in general, but I really don't mind them once in a while.

Taste: Tastes very much like a simple pilsner..but slightly better than most I've had. I'm not a huge fan of the style in general...always tastes to grassy too me. Taste is fairly simple..crisp, clean taste of grains with very mild hoppy finish..

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel..kinda slick as well..probably the weakest character of this brew. Carbonation is good but couldn't completely save it here.

Drinkability: Drinkability is pretty good..and to say anything different would be a lie. If i was sweating in the jungles of Vietnam, I'd kill for a refreshing brew like this.

12-01-2004 08:00:30 | More by hero27
metter98

2.65/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear deep yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down relatively quickly and left delicate lacing on the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of adjunct malts in the nose.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is filled with flavors of adjunct malts such as corn and rice. There are also some hints of apple cider and mineral flavors in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of dryness in the finish.
O: The metallic nature and strong adjunct natures don't make this a beer that I would want to try again.

12-25-2011 20:32:11 | More by metter98
InDreams

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev -5%

Was curious, so bought a bottle and poured it into a pokal.

A: Wow, it's sooo pale. Crystal clear, with a few light streams of carbonated bubbles, it's straw colored and came with half a finger's width of white head. The head certainly didn't linger very long, and left absolutely no lacing.

S: Very biscuity, so at least it adheres to the style in that respect. Cereal malts, adjuncts, something kind of sour and fruity, like apples...I'm trying to pick up the hops but they haven't much of a presence.

T: My first impressions would be to compare it to Seltzer and Cheerios. At first it's admittedly rather vacant and boring, like a seltzer, with the taste (but not necessary the feeling) of carbonation. Then midway through the cereal malts come through, very grainy and again, somewhat boring. Probably rice too, as its Vietnamese. Towards the end, at the back of the tongue, you get the sour/bitter taste of what is probably adjuncts but strikes me as sour apples. This, and the grainy flavors, linger a bit. Not much of any hops to speak of.

M: Again, I'd have to say seltzer. Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Crisp, but whether or not it's refreshing is debatable.

D: It's not offensive. I wouldn't go out of my way, and certainly wouldn't pass up better beers for this, but if it were offered to me I would not turn it down. Being pretty light and not very alcoholic, I could easily enjoy a six pack of this on a hot afternoon with a friend, as long as he was buying.

07-12-2006 04:11:46 | More by InDreams
WesWes

2.65/5  rDev -5%

The beer pours a pale yellow color with a thin white lace head and some yeast floaties. The aroma is average. It has a dry pale malt scent with some adjuncts and a slightly spicey lager yeast aroma. The taste is horrible. It has a light pale malt flavor that is watered down and slightly metallic. It goes down easy, but it has a dry and spicey finish; not very good. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer is horrible. It's the first beer I ever tried from Vietnam. I hope for their sake that there are others available. It has less than average taste and drinkability. I'm on my way to the sink to dump this one.

03-18-2005 02:00:40 | More by WesWes
bogus564

2.65/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl. oz, poured into a tall pilsner glass.

It wasn’t a particularly good Valentine’s Day for this author, for a couple of reasons; (1) I don’t have a valentine right now; and (2) I underwent a prostate exam. This is a good time for a beer or two.

A: Golden in color, actually more gold than yellow – that’s a pleasant surprise. It produces a 3 cm head with a careful pour, and it holds much longer than most beers of this type. The head is wheat-colored, and dissolves into lace. It’s also very, very bubbly. I’m starting to wonder about this one…

S: As I’m reviewing, I usually set the glass down about 18 inches from my nose after I pour it. In quite a number of cases, I can smell the beer from that far away. With this one, I can’t smell a thing; I don’t know if that’s good or bad. Nose in – I’m suddenly teleported to my Army days, when I was stationed in Korea. This is what beer smelled like there; very grassy and hoppy, with a citrus note in the background. Wow.

T: At this point, I’m committed, so I’m going in for a taste. Man, that’s disappointing. All the ingredients I smelled are there, but in weak proportions, and they don’t play well together. What a bummer. The balance is off, and that’s noticeable immediately. Yuck.

M: Mouthfeel is not even good. It’s light in body, the carbonation is kicked up to the point that it foams in your mouth, the palate does not like this, and the finish causes you to make the kind of face that makes people think you smelled something you didn’t like. I’d like for my mouth to forget this particular experience.

O: I wouldn’t drink this beer again on a dare, or if paid less than twenty bucks per sip. You wouldn’t believe how many potato chips I had to eat to nullify the effect on my tongue. I know this doesn’t make me popular with the maker, but that’s my true opinion; better luck next time. I’m immediately going to another beer. Until the next time.

02-15-2012 02:26:58 | More by bogus564
stoutman

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Very faint malt in the aroma, perhaps some light corn as well. Pretty standard appearance, yellow with some bubbles and a slight head. There is just a bit of light, sweetish maltiness, then a mild bitterness. Fizzy palate, light body. Better than Budwieser, but pretty boring stuff.

03-28-2003 14:52:15 | More by stoutman
Vancer

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Well, first I thought that this was a pretty lame macro type lager – but it’s a Dortmunder, eh?

Welp, I did note malty biscuits on my tasting, so maybe this one meets, although weakly, the style requirements.

I mean, geez, crystal clear straw yellow, tiny lil’ white head on the pour. Steamed veggies in the nose. Even with the biscuits notes, this one is more tonic water than beer.

It would be a easy one to slam on the 90+ degree days in the steamy south Asian areas.

06-28-2006 12:33:20 | More by Vancer
beergeek279

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is straw golden, with a slightly foamy head. The smell is a slight malty sweetness. The taste is a very strong bitterness with just a bit of malt, which doesn't seem right in a Dortmunder, and leaves a lot of bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, I probably wouldn't really have another.

Well, this isn't a bad beer, but not a great one either. I admit, I bought this one just to add a new country, and well...when you do that, 90% of them will be boring lagers. While this one isn't one that blows the mind, it's not terrible, and if I ever go to Vietnam, I'd probably drink it.

05-07-2004 22:53:25 | More by beergeek279
jackndan

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

33 Export, from the Nam: Slightly dark golden lager, with a pure white head that disappears very quickly. Very light aroma, and very light body. Spicy hop bite, and very highly carbonated. With the tang of hops and the tang of the bubbles, this was as lively a beer as I’ve had in a long while. The problem was, it was like hot sauce from Taco Bell, why bother? Might be good with bad hot food, but do not go out of your way for it.

08-17-2002 20:01:53 | More by jackndan
ZenAgnostic

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. FILL: 03/11/10. EXP: 03/11/11. Dates stamped on neck.

Appearance - Clear pale straw/gold body. Thin white head with good stick and low retention.

Smell - Corn and slight alcohol. Traces of dark fruit.

Taste - Bone dry throughout. Stale, metallic finish. Some corn hidden underneath it all.

Mouthfeel - Smooth except for some acidic and astringency.

Overall Drinkability - I'd definitely like to try a fresher batch of this to give it a more accurate rating. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially from the horror stories I've heard about vietnamese beers. Worth a shot. Not bad.

11-06-2011 21:17:30 | More by ZenAgnostic
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Clear straw gold beer, with a medium carbonation and a pale thin head. The aroma is lightly grassy and smells of cider, it is not offensive but the apple notes are a bit out of place. This beer is light with a sweet grain character and a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. I don’t get any real flaws in this beer, which is good, because there is nothing worse than a poorly made pale lager.

This is definitely not something I will willingly drink again, but it is not so offensive. It is best drunk cold.

02-05-2005 01:09:50 | More by Gueuzedude

03-27-2014 11:59:34 | More by ApplePi
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours with a one-finger bubbly white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Very pale yellow color. Nose is skunky. Light bodied and carbonation. Not as bad as I expected really a good lawn mower drink, but nothing to go out of your way for. Malts and hops are not strong. I needed it for a new country (#54). $1.90 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

05-23-2004 23:40:04 | More by jdhilt
cadaugherty

05-09-2013 00:24:42 | More by cadaugherty
33 Export from VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)