F.H. Peirpont's Robust Porter - Morgantown Brewing Company

pDev: 1%
Morgantown Brewing Company visit their website
West Virginia, United States

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JamesS on 02-14-2011)
spedprof

West Virginia

05-11-2013 03:02:07 | More by spedprof
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

This Robust Porter has a dark brown body with ruby edges that looks black at its core. The brown head is small and creamy with good retention, but without good lacing.

Light sweetness and a little bit of coffee mixes with a hint of sourness in the aroma.

I dig some sourness in my porters. A lot of the time, to be honest, I have to wonder whether the sourness is intentionally or not. It could also be something growing in the taps or a brewer who missed sanitizing something. If it tastes good, I guess I don't care. Sweet malts lead off, and is followed by a bit of lemon and a some sourness. If I had to be precise, I would guess that the bug in this one tastes like brett, but I'm not sure. The finish has notes of coffee, and just a little bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fairly low on carbonation, but the body remains full enough.

I had a pint and shared a growler of this stuff, and I'm still not sure if the sourness is a deliberate imitation of old world English porters or a mistake. Either way, I like it, and it reminds me a little bit of Ithaca's Dark Humor.

07-07-2011 20:07:03 | More by Hojaminbag
JamesS

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours a very nice semi-deep brown with decent initial head and some nice lacing. Nice aroma, good roastiness and a nice sweetness, although not as deep as it could've been. Very nice flavor, an excellent roastiness up front with a wonderfully sweet malt tang, along with a good hop-bitter aftertaste on the tongue. Went down very well, a very smooth brew.

02-14-2011 14:01:54 | More by JamesS
F.H. Peirpont's Robust Porter from Morgantown Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.