Diabolical India Pale Ale - North Peak Brewing Company

Diabolical India Pale AleDiabolical India Pale Ale

good

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kegger22 on 12-20-2009)

I'm not even going to do a standard review here because words can't describe how delicious and perfectly balanced this beer is in nearly every way. You just HAVE to try it! It's everything a great beer should be and I'm extremely impressed that the little North Peak brewery has managed to make something so fantastical, so monstrous in flavor. Yet so refined and so drinkable.

Traditionally, I've always been more of a "malt-head" than a "hop-head". Early this year I started trying many various IPAs and hoppy brews to expand my horizons. When I had Nugget Nectar, Hop Stoopid, and Hop Wallop for the first time, I truly understood this hop craze that's taken the nation by storm. I've since tried about 50+ different IPAs and hop-heavy beers, some of them insanely too expensive for my pockets but amazingly, the Diabolical IPA has been my "Holy Hoppy Grail" so far. I keep going back to it and look forward to trying it on-tap someday soon.

This one now has a permanent parking pass in my fridge.

Its the most metal beer 6.66% \m/

I'm telling you - watch out for this brewery. Up and down for the first year of their young life. Sometimes this beer was as good as Two Hearted but other times blah. I buy this at least a few times a month and the last two months this has been unreal. If you have had it prior to December it is a total crapshoot on whether the beer will be good or not . Try it since then and crazy good. They have the stuff together. Hop Aroma (Late January the most pronounced) not cause its new but because they are doing something different, is amazing. Hop flavor is so smooth and consistent in your mouth. Like a hop blossom that slowing melts throughout your sip. Crazy cool logo, sweet bottle and the nectar inside is what it should have always been- Awesome.

4.78/5  rDev +30.6%

Standard pour with a nice 2 finger white head. Nice dark orange/amber color.

Nice earthy hop nose and bitterness. Pine, light citrus, and a touch of caramel.

Great bitterness and really well balanced beer. I tasted some caramel and piney notes, and really, really enjoyed the balance across my mouth.

Great mouth feel with medium carbonation and a hint of cream.

Wonderful drinkability. Nice crisp and dryness. I could have more than one of these.

Overall, this is a great beer. It is very well balanced IPA and I look forward to enjoying more.

I have to admit, I tried this beer earlier in the year and this one is better. It is a fantastic IPA!

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%

4.43/5  rDev +21%

I combined it with a strain of agent orange and enjoyed a quality evening. With the first sip the hops bounce upon the pallet like rain upon a still lake. Bitter tones tinge the tongue as the amber wave rushes down to cool the throat and soothe one's thirst.

Initially, the brew gives off a crisp, hoppy aroma, which is replicated on the pallet when sipped. While many American IPAs lack a little zest, however, Diabolical India Pale Ale maintains a robust, unique flavor with a rather "drinkable" composition (I detest this adjectival description). Drinking the Diabolical conjures picturesque images of a cool, sunny evening on a dock on the Grand Traverse Bay; truly gifting the drinker with all the subtle nuances of a perfect evening in beautiful Northern Michigan.

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%

I'm drinking out of the bottle, because it's summertime and drinking beer from a stubbie is a summertime activity. Anyway, I will pour one out and tell you how it looks and such.

Poured into a chilled beer mug. Lot's of cream colored foam. The color is a lovely orangey amber, slightly cloudy. Looks like an IPA. Smells faintly of hops, but it's very subtle when poured. In the bottle it smells of flowers and alcohol. Perfect. The head is hanging around nicely as I drink it. Overall the look and smell are very refreshing and satisfying.

The mouthfeel is very substantial. It slides over your tongue and lingers there. Definitely not a light beer. Chewy and satisfying.

The taste is fantastic. Nice bitterness from the hops, and a nice dose of the flowery, resinous flavor I like from hops. The sweetness of the malt balances well with the bitterness, but it's a very subtle maltiness. Not complex, which I enjoy on a warm summer day. The bitter and sweet flavors combine in each sip and neither overwhelms. This beer manages to be both interesting and exciting, and refreshing and subtle at the same time. Be careful! You can put down many of these in a sitting, and the proclaimed 6.66% ABV will kick your butt.

Overall, this is one of my all time favorite summer beers. It's refreshing, and flavorful, and substantial.

Diabolical India Pale Ale from North Peak Brewing Company