Majestic Wheat Ale - North Peak Brewing Company

Majestic Wheat AleMajestic Wheat Ale

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DrDoitchbig on 02-27-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
hosehead83

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from an 11.5 oz. "stubby" bottle into an English dimpled "pot" pint glass
Golden/amber in color with a nice head of foam
Aroma-Faint wheat notes
Taste-Wheat, subtle citrus notes, faint spices, a surprising, very faint hop bite or citrus-rind bitterness in the background.
Overall, a bit middle-of-the-road in flavor and character, but certainly easy drinking.

06-21-2010 14:01:22 | More by hosehead83
eckerrob

2.88/5  rDev -13.5%

I picked this beer up on a whim, remembering when my uncle used to take me up to North Peak when I was a kid. Poured out of a stubby bottle into a tulip glass

Its got a nice hazy golden appearance. It poured with about 2 fingers of a nice off-white, somewhat soapy head. It quickly went down but left nice lacing down the side of the bottle. Had a nice amount of carbonation out of the bottle.

The first thing that struck my nose was an overwhelming smell of fresh bananas, with a hint of citrus, and as what some other people has described as a "fresh cut grass smell". It smelled almost a little nutty to me as well.

Tastes a lot how it smells. Its got a banana and citrus taste with a nice hoppy finish. Its got a bit of straw/"fresh cut grass" hint to it as well.

It feels kind thing in my mouth but has decent amount of carbonation, but it seemed to go down as I got closer to the bottom. Had a crisp finish.

Overall, I would say its a decent summer beer. Nothing like the Oberon I was used to. I could definitely finish a few of these in a sitting, but would much rather take an Oberon over this. It is a decent summer beer though, perfect for those hot days.

06-09-2010 00:07:31 | More by eckerrob
punkrkr27

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

Clear gold pour with a small, short-lived, loose white head. The aroma is straw, grass, some sweet banana, a touch of clove, a little honey and some toast. The flavor is Straw and fresh cut grass upfront with a little bit of banana, clove and spice in the middle and finishes with some peppery noble hops and a slight tartness. Thinish body with lots of carbonation.

05-18-2010 15:43:59 | More by punkrkr27
JordanEllwanger

3.65/5  rDev +9.6%

Light amber and slightly cloudy. Only the tiniest amount sediment at the bottom of the bottle. A thick full rich creamy white head fading quickly leaving laces behind. Smells Malty with a trace of fruit in there. Some sort of berry maybe. Tastes lightly malted yet very sweet, with a bitter undertow.
Cheers!

03-24-2010 05:51:36 | More by JordanEllwanger
david131

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

A- A milky orange/ brown liquid with a thin white head. Very thick and creamy looking, but maybe a bit too much for the style.

S- White bread, a touch of cooked vegetables, and a bit of coriander.

T- Very mild flavor of white bread and some spice. A bit of a fruity flavor at the end. Extraordinarily bland.

M- Very smooth, but lacking carbonation.

D- A rather bland take on the style, but it drinks alright.

03-16-2010 02:55:34 | More by david131
GRPunk

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Stubby bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A- A liberal pour with a sediment swirl left a 2-1/2 finger, off-white head atop a hazy, golden-orange body with loads of carbonation. The head settles to 1 finger (and about 1/2 at the end) and leaves fluffy, sticky rings down the side of the glass.

S- Initially I picked up a mix of orange, a slightly musty yeast and wheat aroma with light spicing (peppery). The citrus and spice really dominate the smell throughout the drink.

T- It has an assertive flavor that gives strong citrus (somewhere in the orange to grapefruit spectrum) and slightly lesser spice (black pepper perhaps) characteristics. Later on I noticed a really bitter finish. Not sure if it's from the hops or a citrus zest addition.

M- The feel is slightly grainy, which I'd consider good for the style. There's a substantial foamy carbonation.

D- It's a little assertive for the style. It isn't bad, but it isn't the gentle thirst quencher I'd expect either.

I was drawn to the marketing of this beer initially. The stubby bottle and retro look to the label kind of stands out on the shelf. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, but I'm looking forward to trying the IPA I picked up on the same beer run. If it's decent, I'll give theh amber a shot too. Who am I kidding? I'll probably try the amber no matter what.

03-07-2010 17:15:34 | More by GRPunk
DrDoitchbig

2.55/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance: Poured a hazy golden yellow with some orange tints throughout. The head started off at a very respectable two and a half to three fingers, but the retention was surprisingly poor. With a blink of the eye it was nothing but a cap and left a few dabs of lacing here and there.

Smell: It's a fairly aromatic beer, unfortunately said aroma isn't exactly what I'd call complex. It consists primary of orange peel and wheat malt with a slight spicy edge in the background. It's pretty boring honestly.

Taste: In the smell the orange peel had some balance to it and wasn't overwhelming at all. Not the case here, this is surprisingly bitter. It reminds me of chewing on an orange rind. It's pretty hard to even pick up on any other flavors. There seems to be a light floral hop finish that tries to show itself and could have been a positive aspect, but it's just beaten away by the orange rind. I could continue trying to dig out other flavors from behind the wall of orange, but I'll pass.

Mouthfeel: The suspended yeast provides an enjoyable medium body and the carbonation is good for the style. It even has a slight creaminess to it. This may be the only redeeming aspect of this beer.

Drinkability: If I wanted to chew on an orange rind, I'd chew on an orange rind. I will admit I generally prefer the German wheats over the American versions, but this is especially bad.

Overall this is the second beer I've had from North Peak out of the three that are contract brewed and bottled under their banner. The brewer Mike Hall claims to have installed more than 50 brewing systems across the country and trained ever more brewers, including Sam Calagione. Whether or not that's all true the beer speaks for itself. I'm not impressed.

02-27-2010 07:54:54 | More by DrDoitchbig