North Peak Hellion IIPA - North Peak Brewing Company

North Peak Hellion IIPA
No picture uploaded.
good

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: mentor on 09-30-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of North Peak's Hellion IIPA last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. So it looks like North Peak released a new series where they brew some beer from Grizzly Peak, I've been to Grizzly Peak once and I thought they had some nice beers so I'm happy to see North Peak giving people a chance to try these beers with out having to go to the Grizzly Peak brew pub in Ann Arbor. This beer wasn't on tap when I was there so I've never had it. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown stubby bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but the dark background makes it hard to read the black text and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of amber orange color when held to the light with over two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thick ring and thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a fruity hop aroma with some citrus rind aromas seeming to stick out the most and there's just a slight bit of green onion like hop aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a slight alcohol aroma followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt, bready and light caramel malt like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I could have gone without the slight green onion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a higher amount of medium bitterness being the first to show up and it followed by the same hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time they are much lighter and there's no green onion aspect. Up next comes a slight alcohol flavor that isn't too noticeable and it's followed by the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are also lighter than they were in the aroma and it seems like it's the sweet malts that stick out the most. On the finish the bitterness doesn't really linger and it had a citrus rind hop like aftertaste that didn't stick around long. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the malts and hops showed up as much as they did in the aroma, they seem muted in the flavor.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, slightly chewy, not too crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, it was pretty smooth for the ABV, but i wish it had just a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a decent example of the style, it had some good aspects, but it also had some aspects that I didn't care for and I felt like that made this beer a little rough around the edges. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, slightly chewy, not too crisp, a little filling and the taste didn't do the greatest job at holding my attention, I think one would be enough for me, but it's not because of the alcohol, it's because I think I would start to get bored with the taste of it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, aroma, and mouthfeel, they were all pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was taste, it wasn't bad, but it lacked the intense hoppy taste that I expect from the style and that didn't make it the best example of a DIPA. I don't think I would buy this beer again since it's a little pricey for what you get, but I wouldn't turn one down and I don't think I can recommend it as a good DIPA. All in all there were things I liked and disliked about this beer and that kind of made it fall right into the middle as far is this style goes. It made for an Ok first impression of this new series and it's not my favorite North Peak or Grizzly Peak beer and it's right in the middle of the style. I enjoyed this beer somewhat, but I think it could use some more hop flavors, better luck next tome guys and I'm interested to see what other beers make it into this series.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hellion is a thick sort of gold-orange, pretty bright. It's close to transparent, for the most part, with no cloudiness or thickness to the body itself. The head is a fluffy off-white one that starts two fingers tall and takes time to settle, never dropping to less than half a finger. It sits thickly while dropping patchy lacing as the beer recedes.
This is a more rustic, kind of raw IPA for sure. It's big on earthy, not exactly dank but raw notes. The nose shows a bit more refinement, not so heavy on the pith as the flavor. The general hops bouquet, which overshadow the sweetness the malts provide but doesn't steamroll it, is an interesting one. It's heavily earthy, piney, and floral with that cheddary sort of note I get from Fat Head's as well and must assume is part of the Midwest thing. Lots of citrus rind bitterness comes through, with heavy pith in the flavor. Overall, I like the heavy hoppiness, and it's very flavorful, but it's like a head-on assault rather than a strategic one. Still, it works pretty well and will give most hopheads a good fix.
The mouthfeel is clean, considering, not bright per se but still stimulative, as it were. Crispness is strong and offers a good bite while remaining consistent from the first sip to the last. It's also smooth from front to finish.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on 6/11/14. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a glowing burnt orange with a small white head that leaves nice retention and lacing. The aromas have lots of grapefruit along with some bread notes. Some caramel malts in the mix. The flavors are very bitter. This is a bitter bruiser! The malts definitely take a backseat in the flavor department, but they're still there. Citrus notes are there. Grapefruit and orange seem to shine. Some lemon and lime zest in the mix as well. Lots of fresh pine needles along with pine resin. The alcohol basically goes unnoticed, but there's a subtle warmth in the finish. The mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation; fluffy and creamy making this pretty smooth. This makes for a nice sipper.

This is a no holds barred type of DIPA. They seem to focus on the brutal bitterness, which they executed. I'm personally not crazy about this one, but I appreciate the craftsmanship. I like their Hoo Doo more, for what it's worth.

3.6/5  rDev -3%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

4.36/5  rDev +17.5%

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled on 6/11/14.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. A foamy lattice of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with candied citrus zest and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with lots of really solid citrus forward hop characteristics that come through slightly better in the smell to me.

Serving type: bottle.

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »