1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wanderer Session India Pale Ale - North Peak Brewing Company

Wanderer Session India Pale AleWanderer Session India Pale Ale

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kzoobrew on 04-21-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wanderer Session India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured form a 12oz bottle into a pint.

Two finger cap when poured and bits of lace left after a few minutes. A lovely rich amber color.

Wonderful aroma of lots of citrus with a wonderful ending.

It's a session IPA that actually has great amounts of hop flavor.

Overall a wonderful session IPA, would definitely drink this again!

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured Wanderer Session IPA from a 12oz bottle to standard pint glass. It pours a slight ruby amber and golden color with a nice, frothy head that is two fingers and has great retention.

The nose is very nice, floral and pine and even a bit of sweetness. I prefer a bigger nose, but it is very pleasant.

There is a great citrus and floral flavor and I even pick up a bit of grapefruit and lemon. There is a subtle malt taste that compliments and balances this beer. Nice hop finish.

This beer has a very light mouthfeel, which I believe is the idea in this Session IPA. Great carbonation.

Overall, I love this beer. I've been waiting for a beer with these hop characteristics, but with lighter body and lower alcohol. I will drink this beer regularly. I see that it is a seasonal. I will have to stock up.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Deep pulpy orange juicy color and cloudy with a thick, pillowy white head leaving sticky lace in all paths behind.

Resiny, piney, citrusy hops at the forefront. Some light caramel and toffee notes. Lemon, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, grass, and pine forest. Just an amazing aroma on a IPA at 4.2.

Had Founders All Day IPA and I must say this is better. This is a great brew. Drinks much bigger than it purposes. Resiny, oily hops earthy, grassy and then citrusty, and then earthy and grassy on the finish. So well balanced with enough mouthfeel and body to not make you think its a "session IPA". Creamy, visous and deep. Great hop bitterness on the long finish and full of visceral impact. Pine, grass, grapefruit, orange zest and nectarine. Love this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a dark, clear, orange tannic yellow, with low and fine head. Smells on the pine side of things: balsam, faint laquer-ish, organic chemistry class like piney and resinous. Not much in the way of fruit and citrus bitter but a little grapefruit rind. Like I said, on the pinier side. Taste is terrific, well balanced, smooth, not too sweet not too malty. Nice, distinct bitterness in good balance with each other and complex. Alcohol is low, carbonation is fine and moderate to scrubbing powerful. Bitter notes linger but clear from the palate...tastes of more alcohol than 4+ percent would indicate. I think bitter like an IPA, but not exhausting, and fits well with my idea of a session ale. Curiously, like the pine version of another citrusy All Day IPA brewed several hours south in GR. I like this one too. Another six in my future. Nice.

4.48/5  rDev +17%

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was very nice. A little lighter color than I would expect from the style, nut very clear with a nice head.

Smell was fantastic of citrus and hops.

Taste was great. Tons of bitter citrusy hops and finished clean.

MOuthfeel was great. A little more like a bigger IPA so I was very surprised that the ABV was so low.

Overall I think they hit the nail on the head. A great IPA. Very flavorful but still really easy to drink and doesn't knock you over with a high ABV. Very well done.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 4/3/11 (20 days old).

Bottles purchased at the Prospect party store (Ypsilanti, MI).

This beer pours a very nice orange/amber color with a frothy white head (a harbinger of the hoppiness that is sure to follow). The head settles into a creamy mix of large bubbles and some fine lace. There is some chill haze at first which disappears with warming. This beer is definitely unfiltered.

The aroma of this beer is dominated by hops. Aromas of spicy, citrus hops, lemon, geranium leaf, strawberry, mango, pineapple, a hint of earthen grass, some caramel toffee/crystal malt notes manage to fight through the hops.

Flavors mimic aromas with the addition of a huge herbaceous hop flavor that is heavy on green chlorophyll notes. Almost like sucking on a hop cone. Malt notes truly are buried. This is one hoppy mother!

Overall, this beer is very dry and quite bitter. IMO, I believe it would benefit from additional malt profile, less attenuation and/or a slightly lower IBU presence.

I really am a fan of this style. I regularly brew American Bitter (which is the baby/session IPA style). It is really exciting to have access to this style commercially, especially with it being so fresh. I have always liked Stone's Levitation, but after the long distribution trip it is rarely very fresh here in the midwest.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours hazy copper with a thick, long lasting head. Smell is predominately citrus grapefruit with a touch of spiciness. Some session IPA's tend to taste more like a pale ale. This one is not one of those. There is ample malt background to support the strong citrus hop flavors. This is a tad bit over-carbonated in my opinion though. This beer definitely doesn't taste like a 4.2% ABV. This is a great session IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like other beers from North Peak, this is a real winner. Perhaps it wins by being so unpretentious (they all are - look at the simple labels and the squat bottles on some of them). Ultimately, it delivers a great, well-balanced hoppy taste that ventures way beyond the expectations.

This may be one of the most drinkable APA's. It's a little low on alcohol, and that's a good thing sometimes. I think North Peak just moved up another notch on my A-list of very good breweries.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle- What happened to their Stubbies- maybe just a one time deal- they better get those back. Packaging is important

Smell- Average. Less than Draft. Need some more dry hopping

Taste - still fantastic. Love this new style. My goal to finish the 6 pack tonight. Imagine ever saying this about an IPA never thought it would happen. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel- yes, light but perfect
Over- Fantastic. Just give me a bit more on the nose and we are in heaven.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottled 04/07/11

Clear golden orange body with plenty of visible carbonation. Two finger pearly white head is set atop. Retention is very decent, thick moth eaten lacing left clinging to the walls of the glass.

North Peak does a pretty good job selling the IPA with the aroma. Many of these so called Session IPAs fall a bit short lacking the hop intensity. Bright citrus up front, a bit of grassiness and young hop aroma falls in just behind. Soft bready malt characteristic is more reminiscent of an APA though appropriate for this beer.

Very balanced flavor though the hop profile is still the focal point. Warm bready malt provides a nice base for the hops to build off of. Hop flavor varies from Citrus and floral up front to slightly resinous and grassy towards the rear.

Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Feel is slightly prickly on the tongue. Finish is dry and pleasant.

Very enjoyable beer. In comparison to the other "Session IPAs" I have had this on holds its own. It would be easy to go through several servings of this in a day. Flavor is well balanced with enough depth to keep me interested. I would not be surprised if I quick this up often over the summer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle purchased in Traverse City. Served in a CCBW pint glass. Bottled May 3rd, 2011.

A - Pours with a voluminous white creamy foam that has excellent retention and leaves behind glass-coating lace. Lightly hazed dark orange body, with a big stream of bubbles rising up the middle of the glass.

S - Oranges, lemon zest, leafy, piney, caramel, dough and yeast. Pretty potent aroma for 4.2% ABV.

T - Tastes like orange juice, with a pine finish. Minimal malt character, with just a bit of yeast and bread. Plenty of bitterness for the listed 45 IBU.

M - Zesty carbonation, surprisingly hefty medium body, grainy texture, tons of resinous hop oils in the finish that coat my teeth.

D - Crushable stuff. Took me about 5 minutes to finish the bottle. Great session ale that would be great for a camping trip or sitting by the lake. Perfect for Traverse City in the summertime.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark burnt orange, tan, nice 1 inch thick creamy head and lots of lacing.

Smell - Weak, bland smell. Some hops and sugars, malts, a little floral kick, not much else

Taste - Nice hop kick with some pale yeast and malt mixed in. Has the classic bready yeast flavor of apa's with the added bitterness and bite of hops. Theres a nice mild flavor of carmal and spices also mixed in.

MOuthfeel - The hops give some bite to tounge but the beer is low alcohol and easy to drink. Aftertaste is a little dry and bitter but nothing to ruin mouth.

Overall - Very surprized by this beer. Has some kick and real hop character. North peak really got this beer to put out all it could in such a low alcohol drink. Impressed, will try more north peak for sure.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pours a deep orange with a quickly disapainting head.
S - Citrus, a little grapefruit and pine, hints of malt
T - Hop flavors: pine, citrus, grass, grapefruit a little sweet and bitter.
M - Light body and more of a bite then you would expect from the ABV. finishes dry.
O - Easy and pleasant to drink, Could kick back several

4.1/5  rDev +7%

I picked up a bottle of Wanderer Session India Pale Ale today for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I got to try a sample of this beer last month at The World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth, I thought it was a very well done and flavorful beer, let's see if my feelings have changed. No visible freshness date. Poured from a short brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty much the same as all the other North Peak brews, but this one has a weird picture of a goat man on it. It poured a really hazy copper/orange color that was a little darker then I expected but I liked the look of it. It had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end.

S- The aroma is pretty much dominated by the hops in this beer. From the smell of it smells like it is a half and half mixture of piney and citrus hops. I pick up a little sweetness from the caramel malts, but other then that the aroma is pretty much all about the hops.

T- Just like the aroma, the taste is all about the hops and there is no hiding it. It starts with that nice hoppy bitterness on the front rather then on the finish like most Pale Ales. It seems that in the battle between citrus and piney hops that the piney hops have come out on top, I would have liked the balance of hops that I found in the aroma to be the same in the taste, but it isn't that big of a deal. I can actually pick up the nice caramel malt backbone of this beer, which has a very low amount of sweetness to it. This beer was pretty bitter at first but after a couple sips my taste bud adjusted to it and it wasn't to overbearing, the bitterness was similar to what you get in a Imperial Pilsner.

M- Crisp, refreshing and medium bodied. The carbonation on this beer was on the medium side and that suited the style nicely.

Overall I thought was a pretty damn good sessionable Pale Ale. I really like that fact that they crammed so much hop flavor into such a small beer, it really has the best of both worlds, the easy drinking of a session beer and the over the top hops flavors of an IPA. I feel this would be the perfect choice for my weekend disc golf games, its got all that flavor to hold my attention while being light enough to not fill me up or get me wasted. I liked the drinkability and aroma the most and the only thing I would change would be an even amount of pine and citrus, like how they were represented in the aroma. I will for sure be buying this again, I have no doubt six of these will be coming with me for my next disc golf game. If you like really hoppy and bitter beers then this will make a worthy choice, its nice to get all that bitterness and hop flavor without all the booze that usually comes with it, it just makes for a great bbq and summertime beer. I have yet to be let down by North Peak, they sure know how to use their hops, I will be on the lookout for any other North Peak brews I can get my hands on.

Wanderer Session India Pale Ale from North Peak Brewing Company