Hooligan - North Peak Brewing Company

good

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 10-14-2011)

meanmutt, Oct 22, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

I was really exciting to see "Hoppy Pumpkin Ale" on the bottle but I was disappointed after I finished my first bottle. It looks like a pumpkin ale should but tastes like pale ale should. Has a very very light body and medium amount of bitterness. Label is misleading pumpkin taste is to be desired.

Bogforce, Oct 18, 2012

Drk93TT, Oct 10, 2012

Bonis, Oct 06, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally a perfect combination of an IPA and pumpkin. From the first pour into my North Peaks pin glass to the delicious last sip. You will not be disappointed in this beer. A hard one to find even here in Michigan. Hoppy and a slight pumpkin taste at the same time. Buy this beer.

Chris1967, Oct 05, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

redleg64, Sep 03, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

I had three or four samples of North Peak's Hooligan at a beer fest in Frankenmuth. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while now, a pumpkin IPA sounds pretty interesting to me, so I was happy to see that this was offered to the volunteers at the beer festival. Poured from a tap into a 4oz plastic boot.

A- Hooligan poured a very hazy and murky slightly golden orange color that did look pretty similar to the color of a pumpkin. It had a finger and a half worth of creamy off white head that left some really nice lacing. Even though the glassware didn't help the look of this beer, I thought it still really damn good, I liked how murky and pumpkin colored it was.

S- The aroma is pretty simple and straight forward, it starts with some sweet and grainy smelling malts that are followed by some citrus and slightly floral hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a faint pumpkin like smell followed by a light amount of spice. The aroma of beer was good, the hop aromas were up front and the pumpkin aromas were light and on the back, if the pumpkin aromas were kicked up a little more it would be really nice.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts of with those same sweet malts that impart some nice grainy and slightly caramel flavors. Up next comes the hops, the citrus is still there, but it doesn't stick out as much as it did in the aroma, there are some spicy and earthy hop flavors that are evenly mixed with the citrus. I don't get any pumpkin flavor and only just a very small amount of spices that are barely noticeable. On the finish it had a light amount of medium bitterness and a earthy and slightly citrusy aftertaste. This was a good tasting American IPA, but the pumpkin didn't come through in the taste and that was disappointing.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, a little dry, medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel of this beer was good and it fit this beer nicely.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought that it was a good example of an American IPA, but as Pumpkin Ale it's not that great since the pumpkin doesn't show up in the flavor. This beer had good drinkability, I drank four samples so that would be about a pint, two pints would be my limit, this makes for a good summer IPA. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, even in a shitty plastic boot this beer still looks damn good, the aroma and mouthfeel were also pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was that the pumpkin never showed up in the flavor and that was a pretty big letdown for me and that hurt it's overall score. I would buy this beer again if they release it in bottles, but I would buy it for it's IPA quality not it's pumpkin quality and that's why I would recommend it as a good American IPA. In the end this the IPA part of this beer was very nice, but the pumpkin fell short, if there were some more pumpkin flavors in this beer it might be worthy of the Pumpkin Ale category and a great beer. Still a solid beer from North Peak and a good American IPA.

StoutHunter, Jul 23, 2012

MacStinson, Nov 17, 2011

UnknownMale282, Nov 16, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -24%

Poured from tap at World Wines & Liquor about a week ago into a clean, clear pint glass for $3.00. Review from notes.

A Murky pumpkin orange body under a significant, creamy light brown head. Good look. 4.0

S Barley husks and only minimal pumpkin and sweet malt. Maybe I have been spoiled by other great Pumpkin Ales but this smell leaves me wanting more. 3.0

T Barley malt that I picked up in the smell predominates also in the taste. In fact, there is very little pumpkin taste available to my palate. 2.5

M Thin, and too thin for the style. 2.0

D/O Not good since the taste and feel leave me wanting more. 3.0

adamette, Nov 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Hooligan pours a bright orange amber color and has a nice beige head. The head has excellent retention and leaves great lace.

The aroma is really subtle with not a lot going on at all. I smell some bready malt and a hint of citrus hops and spice, but that's it.

The flavor is nice and balanced with malt sweetness playing with a hit of earthy, spicy character. I am not picking up much pumpkin or pumpkin spices at all. As the beer warms the pumpkin and some spice character does come out more. This is definitely not a pumpkin beer for those who love the pumpkin pie character, but prefer a more balanced beer. My only real complaint is that I am wondering why they bothered to put any pumpkin in at all?

The mouthfeel is medium with a decent amount of smoothness and appropriate carbonation. The finish is fairly dry with some hops and spice.

Overall I thought this was a very drinkable and tasty beer. I tend to not really be a huge fan or North Peak, but they impressed me with this one. One thing I do find sort of funny is that this not very pumpkiny “pumpkin beer” tastes way better than their normal IPAs and Pale Ales. Maybe they should just put pumpkin in everything!

zoso1967, Nov 10, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +30.4%

I’m not a pumpkin beer kind of girl, but I have been looking forward to trying this beer once I read the description on North Peaks fb.

The aroma is fresh and green with a very light spice, almost not noticeable.

The taste is phenomenal. Not that gagging sweetness that most pumpkin beers offer. Its hoppy, with citrus notes and the perfect amount of FRESH pumpkin lingering. Hooligan has a wonderful finish that leaves gentle hints of nutmeg and Vietnamese cinnamon.

Medium body with warm carmel color. Very easy to drink and very satisfying. I really hope this is available in bottles next year!

Highly recommended.

its88, Nov 03, 2011

Finally a pumpkin beer that doesn't have to hit you over the head with Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix. Killer beer. Just had in Cleveland and some please Called Beer Engine(cool place by the way).

Malty but not a thick beer. Essence of fruit and earthiness you would expect from a gourd.
Hop- perfect balance of a pale ale.
Rich Carmel Color.

So glad someone finally made a pumpkin beer like this.

boyfromthenorth, Nov 01, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +19.2%

On tap now at Whole Foods Rookwood in Cincinnati.

Pours a bright copper with a creamy off white head.

The smell is a bit unasuming for what the beer tastes like. Smells like a standard IPA with some resiny hop notes as well as good caramel maltiness. I didnt get much of the spice notes in the nose.

The taste is what sets it apart from a standard IPA. I genuinely like this beer. Light on bitterness but high on citrus and floral hops notes followed with distinctive nutmeg and cinnamon nuances that give it that holiday beer slant. There is a noticeable sweetness with this beer that makes the finish a treat.

Medium bodied with good mouth coating and smooth carbonation.

This is very tasty and a definite must try for the Oct-Nov months. It really takes my favorite qualities of an IPA and a Pumpkin ale and mashes them together. Get this now.

phiberoptik, Oct 29, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Called a hoppy pumpkin beer, or pumpkin IPA. Hazy copper, white fizzy head. Head retention lacks a bit, but does leave a few spots of lace.

Caramel, slightly vegetable aroma. Earthy spices, cinnamon, nutmeg. Maybe a hint of citrus.

Earthy, with some caramel malt. Spices come through, especially clove. Earthy bitterness. A nice hint of pumpkin, with some subtle spices as well. Finishes dry.

Medium body, good carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well. What a mix this is, a pumpkin IPA. Pretty easy to drink,, although the cloves stand out a bit much.

Bierguy5, Oct 14, 2011