Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA - North Peak Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 118 | Reviews: 35
Reviews by DrinkMoreBigBeers:
4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A fresh brew with a date of 10/23/12 nice!

A - pours out a nice Creamy off white yellowish one finger head with tinny bubbles that have great retention on the glass. Its a hazy blood orange brew with bubbles streaming up from the bottom.

S - Wow, fresh hops, pungent sweet mango, peach, slight bitterness, caramel malts and no sign of alcohol.

T - Sweet Lemon rind,pine, grapefruit, mango, bitterness comes in, no sign of alcohol presence besides some warmth in the stomach.

M - This one is a soft full bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation that cleans the palate nicely. This beer is pretty dry.

O - A really nice Double wet hoped IPA from North Peak. A easy drinking 9% brew that any hop head would be glad to sip on. One that I will be buying more of in the near future. Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottled 10/21/11

A - Pours clear copper with a huge head, largely due to a quick pour and the stubby bottle. Head has amazing retention and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - Lots of floral fresh hops, and juicy citrus hops. Really quite nice.

T - Pungent hop bite with nice grapefruit. Really juicy, with a nice bitterness throughout, but not overwhelming.

M - Medium mouthfeel that is slightly oily. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - One of the better beers I've had from North Peak, whom I had almost written off. This and their session IPA give me hope that there may be more good things coming from them in the future.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a slightly hazed orange=brown evoking old but polished bronze. The head caps at just over a finger and falls slowly. As it does, it leaves some solid patchy lacing.
The nose is pretty aromatic, heavy on woods with a sort of potpourri spiciness. It's very earthy, must and dank, maybe even a little mossy but in a rustic way that isn't bad. It's almost cottony, somehow, with a fruity sort of undertone.
The taste follows pretty closely with woods strongest and a sort of cheddary note along with the savory spicing and no emphasis on sweetness, just enough to balance. As it is, it leans pithy but not harsh or astringent with lots of that rustic earth coming through again.
Crispness bites yet it doesn't lose it, not to mention smoothness or carbonation even, with a good deal of time. The body is a solid medium and runs semi-dry, perhaps bordering drier.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Oct 23 12 on the bottle.

A: Pours a bright opaque orangish ruby with a 1.5 finger slightly yellowed head. Doesnt leave much lacing but the head sticks around for a while.

S: Very nice hop aroma going on here. A blend of grapefruit, pine and skunkiness. Malts certainly make up the backbone of the aroma.

T: This is one you can sit back and sip on. Has a real fresh hop taste to it but also a strong backing of malt. Earthiness and a whole hop sort of taste.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation. A little hot from the booze. Crisp dryness from the hop.

Overall I'm impressed with this beer. Can compete with some of the hoppier offerings out there. For any hophead especially those into wet hop IPAs.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

My bro-in-law brought a HooDoo for a thanksgiving treat....THANKS BRO!!! The beer pours a dark orange haze with creamy white head that laces slightly. The smell has great pine and grapefruit tones. The taste is very good....9% are you kiddin me! Cannot tell at all. The pine and grapfruite are a great balance with the malt used. The mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation. Overall this is not a session beer, but a beer to be enjoyed. It is amazing.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

A little surprised that this is not added in yet. I first had this at the Detroit Fall Beer Fest and it was one of my favorites. I didn't know that they had bottled it.

The appearance is a dark amber with about a finger of head. Nicely carbonated and slightly translucent. Nice lacing as its drank. I love the smell. Its fruity and cotton candy like, I even get some watermelon. A great fruitiness in the taste and I do pick up a little pineyness from the hops. Very hop forward and somewhat balanced with the malty side. The bottle says the IBU's are 99, so the bitterness and dryness is there. At 9%, the alcohol makes its presence known. Mouthfeel is a little on the heavy side.

Overall, this is a nice little twist on the wet hop style in that its a double IPA. It reminds me of a double IPA that comes from another Michigan brewery in January.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

On-tap at Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill, Vandalia, OH

A: The beer is relatively clear light amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down and left some lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of citrus and pine resin hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has some notes of tropical fruits to go along with the citrus and pine resin flavors. There is a moderate amount of bitterness and this lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has nice aromas and flavors of fresh hops; the tropical fruit flavors add some complexity to the taste.

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Free beer from work, bottled 10/23/12

A&S: Pretty great looking beer: hazy dark orange, cream colored foamy head that starts over a finger and a half and settles in thin layer on top. Leaves good amounts of lacing. Not very strong aroma; citrus and grassy.

T&M: It is probably due the beer being about 4 and a half months old, but it really doesn't have much to offer taste wise. Slight tropical, grapefruit, and citrus hops, decent amounts of bitterness in the finish (classic sign of the wet hopping). Alcohol is very well hidden, but I can feel it in my face. Quite smooth, mild carbonation, medium body.

overall: Despite it being on the older and not super flavorful side it is still probably my favorite from this brewing company. Would be interested in trying this one when it is fresh.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large wine glass. A raging two-finger head tops this one off and pretty intense lacing as well. Color is an opaque deep golden amber. Decent amount of fizzy carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell: Lots of grapefruit and pineapple. Definitely getting the wet-hopped action here. Some floral and piney notes and maybe just a touch of yeast.

Taste: Definitely a big beer; the alcohol is fairly discernible right off the bat, although the ABV is 9%, so I guess that is to be expected. Quite fruity and hoppy. One of the better tasting North Peak beers I have had. A touch on the sweet side, but I tend to enjoy the sweeter IPAs anyway.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied, a bit sweet, and a lot of alcohol presence immediately noticeable. Carbonation is adequate. Texture is fairly creamy.

Overall: I'm not usually a huge North Peak fan, so this one was a pleasant surprise. I didn't get a lot of the "off" flavors I sometimes associate with their beers, and the balance and flavors were good. If I go shopping for North Peak beer in the future, I'm going to look for this one.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of North Peak's Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA a couple days ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I made sure to grab a bottle to try when it was just recently released, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up, so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a stubby 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it looks pretty typical for North Peak. It poured a nice amber/caramel color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it left a little more lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by loads of hops that impart a great, fresh hop, dank, and slightly piney hop aroma with citrus and tropical fruit hops seeming to stick out the most impart a nice mango, grapefruit, and pineapple like aroma with a slight bit of peach in the background. Up next comes a pretty light malt aroma with some sweet malts, slightly bready, slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas. The aroma was very nice, it was dominated by dank citrus and tropical fruit hop aromas that were really nice.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops which impart a grassy, slightly dank, citrus hop, and piney flavors with no single aspect seeming to sticking out the most. Up next comes some malts which show up a little more than they did in the aroma and it imparts some bready, grainy, and caramel malt like flavors with some lighter alcohol flavors that's just barely warming and there's a lower amount of high bitterness on the finish with a piney and slightly citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on thicker side of being medium bodied bordering on being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I thought it could have been a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer an an above average Wet Hop IPA, the aroma really wowed me with some deep and fruity hop aromas that were really nice, the taste had a nice hop aspect too, but it was a little bit of let down when compared to the aroma. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, it was a little filling, and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, hands down it was the best aspect of this beer and it was full of great juicy tropical fruit and citrus hop aromas. What i liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better and I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma. I don't think i would get this beer again this year, I might try it again next year, but i don't think I'll be coming back for anymore of this years release especially when Founders Harvest Ale is available. I'm not sure I would really recommend this beer, but I wouldn't tell people it's a bad beer. All in all, I liked this beer, but it isn't in my top Wet Hop IPA, it was just too rough around edges and if the taste was more like the aroma then I think this would be a pretty great beer. Solid work guys, but I think with some tweaking this can be a better beer next year.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

2.0 A: This is an ugly looking brew. Opaque orangish brown. One of the worst colors I've ever seen. This had too much carbonation, so it took three pours to get the glass full. Eventually, three fingers of foamy off-white head. Retention is good, but lacking is sparse and completely randomly placed.

3.5 S: Mega-dank hops. Floral, lightly piney, some herbalness, and most importantly cat piss. Seems to be plenty of bready yeastiness going on as well. Tough to smell much past the yeast and hops.

4.0 T: I'm shocked to find that the yeast isn't overly dominant. Rather, citrusy, floral, and herbal hops do the talking. Yes, the yeast is still there, but it seems to work with the beer rather than against. Mild to moderate bitterness. Some caramel and neutral sweetness. Bready yeast.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation, despite the multiple pours. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

4.0 D: Good, hoppy beer. Ugly as hell, but easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

So I did the side by side taste with Founders Harvest and I got to hand it to North Peak but this Hoodoo is the champ. The color reminded me of BrooDoo by Three Floyds while it did not have its nose it was a close second to my favorite wet hopped ale.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 10/16/13. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a dark burnt golden. It's clear with a slight haze; huge fluffy eggshell white head that sticks around and leaves awesome lacing and retention. Looks great. The aromas are full of caramel malts and some sticky grapefruit. There's some orange in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty malty, but the hops still do their thing. This is very resinous. Lots of pine resin. More grapefruit. Very sticky. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation and slightly slick. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's easy drinking, but is really big at just 8% abv.

This is a solid DIPA. It drinks bigger than you would imagine. It's not too unique, but it's well crafted. It's good, but I'm not crazy about it.

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Interesting bottle, thanks to everlast223 (reddit).
Bottled on 10/1/13

Pours a decent fizzy head that his 1/2 finger and fades pretty quickly, hazy reddish orange color.

Nose fruity hops, little pineapple and fruity hops, hint of musty dank resin, hint citrus and little pear, chewy like. Some pine and forest floor, earthy mild mushroom, very light fresh wet hop oil.

Taste starts with little musty resin, dank with hop oil, little fresh hop resin but little stale pine, mild citrus, fruity. Fairly sweet candy malt base, little, bit of balance, mild honey malt. Finish dries and gets quite bitter spicy chewy hops with little pine and hop oil.

Mouth is med bod, lighter carb, little oily.

Overall ok, but doesn't seem as good as it should be, I think the three months have taken away from the fresh wet hops.

1.93/5  rDev -51%

Thanks to surlytheduff for passing this one along to me.

Served in a tulip pint.

Translucent, but not clear, orangey rust color. WAAAY overcarbonated. I poured as I always do and had half a glass of foam whileuch remained in the bottle yet unpoured. Great retention though! The lace is poor-- just some small clingy streaks. There was a pretty big looking yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, and I intended to keep it out of my veer by not pouring the last few ounces--- as it turns out, the rush of bubbles that created such a massive billowing head stopped my pour earlier than even I had planned.

Smells very weak. I certainly get citrus hop notes, but where is all the malt that makes this beer so dark in color?

The taste tough to really pin down because the beer is much too overcarbonated-- the beer bubbles off my tongue before the tastebuds have a fighting chance! Way too fizzy, and as a result, it feels too thin.
I get the citrusy hops, as well as an earthy breadiness with some mineraly notes. Is this an English mild ale? The yeast seems to think so... Some strong bitterness comes on and really makes this one more unbalanced than a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Overall-- a few tweaks and this might be passable as an IPA. A bunch of tweaks, and it might be "good."

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a handsome hazy orange copper color with a a lasting off white head and generous amounts of foamy lacing. The aroma is hoppy with notes of grass, pine, and some floral hops. I can tell by the nose that this bottle is slightly past its prime. There is also a decent malt backbone in the aroma. This definitely has promise of being balanced. The mouth is nice, just the right balance of sippably smooth and mouth coating resiny goodness. The flavor starts out very nicely with a punch of hops upfront followed by a nice malt note to balance the taste. Unfortunately, the aftertaste is an unpleasant bitterness of stale hops. I'm not knocking this one super hard for this as I know that I am not drinking the freshest bottle. This is good and definitely something that I will seek out this fall when it is fresh and re review.

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a nice burnt orange with a thin whit head.

S - Nice sweetness comes first followed by a good amount of piney hops and citrus.

T - Follows the smell. Lots of bitter hops and light amount of citrus. Lots of sweetness. Nicely balanced.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Good beer. Nothing mind blowing but I would drink again.

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Amber/orange bodied beer, hazy. Ton of carbonation lead to a foamy two finger off-white head. Good retention with globby lacing.

S: Whoa, dank hop scent here. Lots of floral and vegetal as well. Bready malt background, nice balance.

T: Quite a bit of floral hops here, some herbal tones as well. Bready background. Quite bitter grassy finish.

M: Medium body, somewhat creamy, high carbonation.

O: Good solid IPA, nice variety with the "dank" hop profile

3.14/5  rDev -20.3%

Here we go again with another from North Peak. Poured into a pint.

A: Gentle pour yields 3 fingers of red-tan head with lots (too much) retention. Red-orange liquid.
S: Clean aroma. Citrus, black pepper, mint. Mmmmm.
T: Very sweet with just a little bitterness to balance. Almost cloying. A bit solventy. Purported 99 IBUs aren't showing up. It reminds me of homebrews that I've made and haven't been proud of. Cooked vegetable is there too.
M: A bit warm. cloying.
O: Alcohol comes on strong. I still have not had a good North Peak beer! I want to like them, but it's not happening. Imbalanced like homebrews I've made. I poured this out.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Traditional North Peak, stubby bottle, dated Oct2512. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Love the "Brewed Up North" stamp.

A- A moderate pour creates a 2-finger, tan head. The body was slightly hazed before clearing, amber with some ruby tones. The head sustains at a thin film and leaves awesome rings. Some yeasty goodness left behind in the bottle even after a swirl and secondary pour that clouded the body.

S- With the crack of the cap, there's a bunch of fresh hop resin. After the pour, it opens up to reveal citrus, pine, and tropical fruit. Delightful. Sugary sweet malt backbone. Definitely hop-centric. Very fresh and organic.

T- Wonderfully balanced. Really solid dose of hops up front and in the finish. Sweet malts through the middle (Hawaiian bread). Hopping is the centerpiece. It starts a little medicinal/herbal, with hints of aspirin and spice and finishes mostly with grapefruit and some pine.

M- Nicely viscus and quite dry. Carbonation keeps up with full body. Slightest warmth from ABV (not harsh, nor are the hops considering their presence). Just a slight bite.

O- North Peak has really impressed me since their launch. Hoodoo is up there with many of the great MI DIPAs. Only hint of 9% ABV is the light head I got while drinking. I could drink this (slowly) all day. That's one fresh beer.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am a little new to the Wet Hop IPA but for a first try this one was ok. I was looking for a new beer for my tap. It starts off good but ends with a very bitter taste that last for awhile after I finished to bottle. I would probably not by it again.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/1/2013. Pours moderately hazy orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense cream colored head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, orange zest, grapefruit, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity of hop notes with a moderate malt balance; and good strength. Taste of big tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, lemon zest, grapefruit, pine resin, orange rind, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral earthiness. Large amount of earthy pine resin bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest/rind, pineapple, pine resin, floral, grass, bread, and light caramel on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of citrus/pine hop flavors; with a moderate malt balance and minimal cloying bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and very sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice wet hop IPA. All around good complexity and balance of citrus/pine hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

2.54/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a hazy orange liquid with a massive and craggy bone white head from the massive amount of carbonation.

S- A very odd aroma that is hard to pin down... maybe some kind of fermented fruit? Odd and not all that appealing.

T- Better than the smell. Some kind of odd fruit, pine, and grass. Sweet and malty.

M- Abundant carbonation keeps it light. There is a lasting alcohol warmth.

O- A very odd take on the style. The smell is not very appealing and the flavors are below average. Just not what I look for in the style.

2.18/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured from bottle into DFH pint glass. Says "OCT 2011" on the side. So I'm guessing I'm around week 8 or so.

Appearance: Pours a fairly hazy deep amber/copper color with a BIG head, man, almost over filled my glass. Big bubbles, receding quickly, but a thin film remains on the beer for quite some time. Really no lacing to speak of.

Nose: The nose is straight citrus. Orange, some lemon zest.

Taste: I'm almost getting a stomach bile like character off this beer. Lots of really tart and bitter citrus, but nothing really to support it. Hardly any malt.

Mouth: The prickly carbonation leaves an odd sensation in my mouth. Hard to really pin down the exact flavors, and get a sense of this beer, kind of a mess.

D & O: I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'm not a fan. It was unpleasant.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very darkly assertive tannic orange, as is very cloudy and ruddy and muddy. Smells really terrific. Floral hops, and passion fruits and citrus and maybe pineapple-really inviting here.-stuff you don't really even perceive in an IPA...really veiled and out of the bag smells. Taste is same, and balanced and bitter and terrific and the sustain is strong, the nine percent A hidden nicely in mix. Mouthfeel and carbonation and presence is suitably creamy and sudsy and fussy. I'd drink again. A real fresh hop presence is surely here.

to view more.