Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA - North Peak Brewing Company

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPAHoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: 33nickadams on 11-04-2011)
AleWatcher

1.85/5  rDev -53.2%

Thanks to surlytheduff for passing this one along to me.

Served in a tulip pint.

Translucent, but not clear, orangey rust color. WAAAY overcarbonated. I poured as I always do and had half a glass of foam whileuch remained in the bottle yet unpoured. Great retention though! The lace is poor-- just some small clingy streaks. There was a pretty big looking yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, and I intended to keep it out of my veer by not pouring the last few ounces--- as it turns out, the rush of bubbles that created such a massive billowing head stopped my pour earlier than even I had planned.

Smells very weak. I certainly get citrus hop notes, but where is all the malt that makes this beer so dark in color?

The taste tough to really pin down because the beer is much too overcarbonated-- the beer bubbles off my tongue before the tastebuds have a fighting chance! Way too fizzy, and as a result, it feels too thin.
I get the citrusy hops, as well as an earthy breadiness with some mineraly notes. Is this an English mild ale? The yeast seems to think so... Some strong bitterness comes on and really makes this one more unbalanced than a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Overall-- a few tweaks and this might be passable as an IPA. A bunch of tweaks, and it might be "good."

12-15-2011 02:49:57 | More by AleWatcher
MarcatGSB

2.15/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from bottle into DFH pint glass. Says "OCT 2011" on the side. So I'm guessing I'm around week 8 or so.

Appearance: Pours a fairly hazy deep amber/copper color with a BIG head, man, almost over filled my glass. Big bubbles, receding quickly, but a thin film remains on the beer for quite some time. Really no lacing to speak of.

Nose: The nose is straight citrus. Orange, some lemon zest.

Taste: I'm almost getting a stomach bile like character off this beer. Lots of really tart and bitter citrus, but nothing really to support it. Hardly any malt.

Mouth: The prickly carbonation leaves an odd sensation in my mouth. Hard to really pin down the exact flavors, and get a sense of this beer, kind of a mess.

D & O: I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'm not a fan. It was unpleasant.

12-19-2011 23:50:18 | More by MarcatGSB
david131

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

A- Pours a hazy orange liquid with a massive and craggy bone white head from the massive amount of carbonation.

S- A very odd aroma that is hard to pin down... maybe some kind of fermented fruit? Odd and not all that appealing.

T- Better than the smell. Some kind of odd fruit, pine, and grass. Sweet and malty.

M- Abundant carbonation keeps it light. There is a lasting alcohol warmth.

O- A very odd take on the style. The smell is not very appealing and the flavors are below average. Just not what I look for in the style.

12-19-2011 03:38:31 | More by david131
marcb105

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

11-02-2013 20:43:35 | More by marcb105
beesy

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a bottle dated 10.21.2011 into a Dogfish pint glass.

A - pours a slightly hazy orange with a glass full of off white foam. Way overcarbed. The website says its an ipa, the bottle a double. At 9% ABV and 99 IBU's, it fits in the latter. Not sure if the hazy appearance comes from bottle conditioning or it's meant to be unfiltered?

S - Getting some tropical and citrus hops with a slight sweetness.

T - Some tropical and citrus hops up front with a slight grassy flavor on the back end. A firm bitterness. Not much else going on. Maybe a touch of hop astringency and carbonic bite. A little dissapointing.

M - Medium bodied.

D - Poor. Higher ABV with some missing hop aroma and flavor with too much carb.

Although I got this from a store that keeps all their beer in a cooler, I would like to try this again, but really fresh. It seems the reviews were higher closer to release date, which is leading me to believe a majority of the hop aroma and flavor has disappeared already.

12-26-2011 20:09:07 | More by beesy
dfillius

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Here we go again with another from North Peak. Poured into a pint.

A: Gentle pour yields 3 fingers of red-tan head with lots (too much) retention. Red-orange liquid.
S: Clean aroma. Citrus, black pepper, mint. Mmmmm.
T: Very sweet with just a little bitterness to balance. Almost cloying. A bit solventy. Purported 99 IBUs aren't showing up. It reminds me of homebrews that I've made and haven't been proud of. Cooked vegetable is there too.
M: A bit warm. cloying.
O: Alcohol comes on strong. I still have not had a good North Peak beer! I want to like them, but it's not happening. Imbalanced like homebrews I've made. I poured this out.

10-13-2012 20:51:36 | More by dfillius
mochaguy

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottled: 10/25/12

Specs: 12oz bottle, 9%, 99 IBU

Glassware: Ommegang Fluted Tulip

Appearance: Cloudy dark amber copper with a short light tan head.

Smell: Notes of citrus, bread and light caramel.

Taste: Same as the nose, citrus, bread and light caramel with a long medium pithy finish. More earthy than citrusy.

Mouthfeel: Medium+ carbonation with a medium-full body.

Overall: Not what I expected. Didn’t seem to have the fresh intense hop character that I expected from a wet hop IPA. Fairly bitter hop character. Color and taste reminded me more of an Imperial Red Ale than a DIPA. Not bad but not exceptional.

11-16-2012 22:24:10 | More by mochaguy
aaronanderson

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

11-03-2012 19:38:00 | More by aaronanderson
drunk1

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

I am a little new to the Wet Hop IPA but for a first try this one was ok. I was looking for a new beer for my tap. It starts off good but ends with a very bitter taste that last for awhile after I finished to bottle. I would probably not by it again.

11-05-2013 21:57:12 | More by drunk1
BB1313

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottled on 10/16/13. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a dark burnt golden. It's clear with a slight haze; huge fluffy eggshell white head that sticks around and leaves awesome lacing and retention. Looks great. The aromas are full of caramel malts and some sticky grapefruit. There's some orange in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty malty, but the hops still do their thing. This is very resinous. Lots of pine resin. More grapefruit. Very sticky. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation and slightly slick. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's easy drinking, but is really big at just 8% abv.

This is a solid DIPA. It drinks bigger than you would imagine. It's not too unique, but it's well crafted. It's good, but I'm not crazy about it.

11-07-2013 19:16:34 | More by BB1313

JimmyFlatRock

03-19-2013 19:44:27 | More by JimmyFlatRock
rudzud

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a slightly hazy amber hue with a quarter inch sudsy head that fades to leave big bubbles.

S - Aromas of malty sweetness, bright pine, not much alcohol at all. Bit malt heavy.

T - Taste is rather malt heavy, older hops, light pine. Definitely tastes like am old past it's prime double ipa.

M - Mouthfeel is nice and easy drinking.

O - Overall this beer was a bit disappointing. Stale old hops really let this one down.

02-08-2014 23:43:14 | More by rudzud
chilly460

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Amber/orange bodied beer, hazy. Ton of carbonation lead to a foamy two finger off-white head. Good retention with globby lacing.

S: Whoa, dank hop scent here. Lots of floral and vegetal as well. Bready malt background, nice balance.

T: Quite a bit of floral hops here, some herbal tones as well. Bready background. Quite bitter grassy finish.

M: Medium body, somewhat creamy, high carbonation.

O: Good solid IPA, nice variety with the "dank" hop profile

01-06-2012 03:21:25 | More by chilly460
lochef81

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a handsome hazy orange copper color with a a lasting off white head and generous amounts of foamy lacing. The aroma is hoppy with notes of grass, pine, and some floral hops. I can tell by the nose that this bottle is slightly past its prime. There is also a decent malt backbone in the aroma. This definitely has promise of being balanced. The mouth is nice, just the right balance of sippably smooth and mouth coating resiny goodness. The flavor starts out very nicely with a punch of hops upfront followed by a nice malt note to balance the taste. Unfortunately, the aftertaste is an unpleasant bitterness of stale hops. I'm not knocking this one super hard for this as I know that I am not drinking the freshest bottle. This is good and definitely something that I will seek out this fall when it is fresh and re review.

03-13-2014 04:45:57 | More by lochef81
StoutHunter

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%

I picked up a bottle of North Peak's Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA a couple days ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I made sure to grab a bottle to try when it was just recently released, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up, so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a stubby 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it looks pretty typical for North Peak. It poured a nice amber/caramel color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it left a little more lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by loads of hops that impart a great, fresh hop, dank, and slightly piney hop aroma with citrus and tropical fruit hops seeming to stick out the most impart a nice mango, grapefruit, and pineapple like aroma with a slight bit of peach in the background. Up next comes a pretty light malt aroma with some sweet malts, slightly bready, slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas. The aroma was very nice, it was dominated by dank citrus and tropical fruit hop aromas that were really nice.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops which impart a grassy, slightly dank, citrus hop, and piney flavors with no single aspect seeming to sticking out the most. Up next comes some malts which show up a little more than they did in the aroma and it imparts some bready, grainy, and caramel malt like flavors with some lighter alcohol flavors that's just barely warming and there's a lower amount of high bitterness on the finish with a piney and slightly citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on thicker side of being medium bodied bordering on being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I thought it could have been a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer an an above average Wet Hop IPA, the aroma really wowed me with some deep and fruity hop aromas that were really nice, the taste had a nice hop aspect too, but it was a little bit of let down when compared to the aroma. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, it was a little filling, and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, hands down it was the best aspect of this beer and it was full of great juicy tropical fruit and citrus hop aromas. What i liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better and I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma. I don't think i would get this beer again this year, I might try it again next year, but i don't think I'll be coming back for anymore of this years release especially when Founders Harvest Ale is available. I'm not sure I would really recommend this beer, but I wouldn't tell people it's a bad beer. All in all, I liked this beer, but it isn't in my top Wet Hop IPA, it was just too rough around edges and if the taste was more like the aroma then I think this would be a pretty great beer. Solid work guys, but I think with some tweaking this can be a better beer next year.

11-11-2013 04:39:10 | More by StoutHunter
minterro

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Free beer from work, bottled 10/23/12

A&S: Pretty great looking beer: hazy dark orange, cream colored foamy head that starts over a finger and a half and settles in thin layer on top. Leaves good amounts of lacing. Not very strong aroma; citrus and grassy.

T&M: It is probably due the beer being about 4 and a half months old, but it really doesn't have much to offer taste wise. Slight tropical, grapefruit, and citrus hops, decent amounts of bitterness in the finish (classic sign of the wet hopping). Alcohol is very well hidden, but I can feel it in my face. Quite smooth, mild carbonation, medium body.

overall: Despite it being on the older and not super flavorful side it is still probably my favorite from this brewing company. Would be interested in trying this one when it is fresh.

03-13-2013 01:08:12 | More by minterro
andrewjraab

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a dark amber red with nice head and lacing. Smells nice - fruity, hop heavy, pine, citrus, oily. Nice medium bodied feel - good bitter forward palate - wet hopped equates to a juicy hop forward clean drink. Finishes dry and bitter - the dryness lingers on the palate.

Overall, this is a solid DIPA, but isn't go to brew and I'm not sure I will have it again considering all the other options in this category.

11-03-2013 02:16:31 | More by andrewjraab
jlindros

3.74/5  rDev -5.3%

Interesting bottle, thanks to everlast223 (reddit).
Bottled on 10/1/13

Pours a decent fizzy head that his 1/2 finger and fades pretty quickly, hazy reddish orange color.

Nose fruity hops, little pineapple and fruity hops, hint of musty dank resin, hint citrus and little pear, chewy like. Some pine and forest floor, earthy mild mushroom, very light fresh wet hop oil.

Taste starts with little musty resin, dank with hop oil, little fresh hop resin but little stale pine, mild citrus, fruity. Fairly sweet candy malt base, little, bit of balance, mild honey malt. Finish dries and gets quite bitter spicy chewy hops with little pine and hop oil.

Mouth is med bod, lighter carb, little oily.

Overall ok, but doesn't seem as good as it should be, I think the three months have taken away from the fresh wet hops.

02-09-2014 03:48:24 | More by jlindros