Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA - North Peak Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: 33nickadams on 11-04-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Traditional North Peak, stubby bottle, dated Oct2512. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Love the "Brewed Up North" stamp.

A- A moderate pour creates a 2-finger, tan head. The body was slightly hazed before clearing, amber with some ruby tones. The head sustains at a thin film and leaves awesome rings. Some yeasty goodness left behind in the bottle even after a swirl and secondary pour that clouded the body.

S- With the crack of the cap, there's a bunch of fresh hop resin. After the pour, it opens up to reveal citrus, pine, and tropical fruit. Delightful. Sugary sweet malt backbone. Definitely hop-centric. Very fresh and organic.

T- Wonderfully balanced. Really solid dose of hops up front and in the finish. Sweet malts through the middle (Hawaiian bread). Hopping is the centerpiece. It starts a little medicinal/herbal, with hints of aspirin and spice and finishes mostly with grapefruit and some pine.

M- Nicely viscus and quite dry. Carbonation keeps up with full body. Slightest warmth from ABV (not harsh, nor are the hops considering their presence). Just a slight bite.

O- North Peak has really impressed me since their launch. Hoodoo is up there with many of the great MI DIPAs. Only hint of 9% ABV is the light head I got while drinking. I could drink this (slowly) all day. That's one fresh beer.

3.14/5  rDev -17.6%

Here we go again with another from North Peak. Poured into a pint.

A: Gentle pour yields 3 fingers of red-tan head with lots (too much) retention. Red-orange liquid.
S: Clean aroma. Citrus, black pepper, mint. Mmmmm.
T: Very sweet with just a little bitterness to balance. Almost cloying. A bit solventy. Purported 99 IBUs aren't showing up. It reminds me of homebrews that I've made and haven't been proud of. Cooked vegetable is there too.
M: A bit warm. cloying.
O: Alcohol comes on strong. I still have not had a good North Peak beer! I want to like them, but it's not happening. Imbalanced like homebrews I've made. I poured this out.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A: Amber/orange bodied beer, hazy. Ton of carbonation lead to a foamy two finger off-white head. Good retention with globby lacing.

S: Whoa, dank hop scent here. Lots of floral and vegetal as well. Bready malt background, nice balance.

T: Quite a bit of floral hops here, some herbal tones as well. Bready background. Quite bitter grassy finish.

M: Medium body, somewhat creamy, high carbonation.

O: Good solid IPA, nice variety with the "dank" hop profile

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured from a bottle dated 10.21.2011 into a Dogfish pint glass.

A - pours a slightly hazy orange with a glass full of off white foam. Way overcarbed. The website says its an ipa, the bottle a double. At 9% ABV and 99 IBU's, it fits in the latter. Not sure if the hazy appearance comes from bottle conditioning or it's meant to be unfiltered?

S - Getting some tropical and citrus hops with a slight sweetness.

T - Some tropical and citrus hops up front with a slight grassy flavor on the back end. A firm bitterness. Not much else going on. Maybe a touch of hop astringency and carbonic bite. A little dissapointing.

M - Medium bodied.

D - Poor. Higher ABV with some missing hop aroma and flavor with too much carb.

Although I got this from a store that keeps all their beer in a cooler, I would like to try this again, but really fresh. It seems the reviews were higher closer to release date, which is leading me to believe a majority of the hop aroma and flavor has disappeared already.

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured from bottle into DFH pint glass. Says "OCT 2011" on the side. So I'm guessing I'm around week 8 or so.

Appearance: Pours a fairly hazy deep amber/copper color with a BIG head, man, almost over filled my glass. Big bubbles, receding quickly, but a thin film remains on the beer for quite some time. Really no lacing to speak of.

Nose: The nose is straight citrus. Orange, some lemon zest.

Taste: I'm almost getting a stomach bile like character off this beer. Lots of really tart and bitter citrus, but nothing really to support it. Hardly any malt.

Mouth: The prickly carbonation leaves an odd sensation in my mouth. Hard to really pin down the exact flavors, and get a sense of this beer, kind of a mess.

D & O: I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'm not a fan. It was unpleasant.

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a hazy orange liquid with a massive and craggy bone white head from the massive amount of carbonation.

S- A very odd aroma that is hard to pin down... maybe some kind of fermented fruit? Odd and not all that appealing.

T- Better than the smell. Some kind of odd fruit, pine, and grass. Sweet and malty.

M- Abundant carbonation keeps it light. There is a lasting alcohol warmth.

O- A very odd take on the style. The smell is not very appealing and the flavors are below average. Just not what I look for in the style.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large wine glass. A raging two-finger head tops this one off and pretty intense lacing as well. Color is an opaque deep golden amber. Decent amount of fizzy carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell: Lots of grapefruit and pineapple. Definitely getting the wet-hopped action here. Some floral and piney notes and maybe just a touch of yeast.

Taste: Definitely a big beer; the alcohol is fairly discernible right off the bat, although the ABV is 9%, so I guess that is to be expected. Quite fruity and hoppy. One of the better tasting North Peak beers I have had. A touch on the sweet side, but I tend to enjoy the sweeter IPAs anyway.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied, a bit sweet, and a lot of alcohol presence immediately noticeable. Carbonation is adequate. Texture is fairly creamy.

Overall: I'm not usually a huge North Peak fan, so this one was a pleasant surprise. I didn't get a lot of the "off" flavors I sometimes associate with their beers, and the balance and flavors were good. If I go shopping for North Peak beer in the future, I'm going to look for this one.

1.93/5  rDev -49.3%

Thanks to surlytheduff for passing this one along to me.

Served in a tulip pint.

Translucent, but not clear, orangey rust color. WAAAY overcarbonated. I poured as I always do and had half a glass of foam whileuch remained in the bottle yet unpoured. Great retention though! The lace is poor-- just some small clingy streaks. There was a pretty big looking yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, and I intended to keep it out of my veer by not pouring the last few ounces--- as it turns out, the rush of bubbles that created such a massive billowing head stopped my pour earlier than even I had planned.

Smells very weak. I certainly get citrus hop notes, but where is all the malt that makes this beer so dark in color?

The taste tough to really pin down because the beer is much too overcarbonated-- the beer bubbles off my tongue before the tastebuds have a fighting chance! Way too fizzy, and as a result, it feels too thin.
I get the citrusy hops, as well as an earthy breadiness with some mineraly notes. Is this an English mild ale? The yeast seems to think so... Some strong bitterness comes on and really makes this one more unbalanced than a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Overall-- a few tweaks and this might be passable as an IPA. A bunch of tweaks, and it might be "good."

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

2.0 A: This is an ugly looking brew. Opaque orangish brown. One of the worst colors I've ever seen. This had too much carbonation, so it took three pours to get the glass full. Eventually, three fingers of foamy off-white head. Retention is good, but lacking is sparse and completely randomly placed.

3.5 S: Mega-dank hops. Floral, lightly piney, some herbalness, and most importantly cat piss. Seems to be plenty of bready yeastiness going on as well. Tough to smell much past the yeast and hops.

4.0 T: I'm shocked to find that the yeast isn't overly dominant. Rather, citrusy, floral, and herbal hops do the talking. Yes, the yeast is still there, but it seems to work with the beer rather than against. Mild to moderate bitterness. Some caramel and neutral sweetness. Bready yeast.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation, despite the multiple pours. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

4.0 D: Good, hoppy beer. Ugly as hell, but easy to drink.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottled 10/21/11

A - Pours clear copper with a huge head, largely due to a quick pour and the stubby bottle. Head has amazing retention and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - Lots of floral fresh hops, and juicy citrus hops. Really quite nice.

T - Pungent hop bite with nice grapefruit. Really juicy, with a nice bitterness throughout, but not overwhelming.

M - Medium mouthfeel that is slightly oily. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - One of the better beers I've had from North Peak, whom I had almost written off. This and their session IPA give me hope that there may be more good things coming from them in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

My bro-in-law brought a HooDoo for a thanksgiving treat....THANKS BRO!!! The beer pours a dark orange haze with creamy white head that laces slightly. The smell has great pine and grapefruit tones. The taste is very good....9% are you kiddin me! Cannot tell at all. The pine and grapfruite are a great balance with the malt used. The mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation. Overall this is not a session beer, but a beer to be enjoyed. It is amazing.

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

I got a 6 pack locally and consider myself lucky. Really rare, even in Michigan. This is my favorite IPA of the season. Compares favorably to the Founders Harvest Ale and makes New Holland's Hopivore seem like a slightly bitter pale ale.

The aroma is the first thing that hits you. Fresh floral hoppiness, almost sweet. Great flavor. Clearly hopped along the way, but the wet hop/fresh hop finish really puts it over the top. A nice strong double so 1 or 2 will do the job. A must for hopheads.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

A little surprised that this is not added in yet. I first had this at the Detroit Fall Beer Fest and it was one of my favorites. I didn't know that they had bottled it.

The appearance is a dark amber with about a finger of head. Nicely carbonated and slightly translucent. Nice lacing as its drank. I love the smell. Its fruity and cotton candy like, I even get some watermelon. A great fruitiness in the taste and I do pick up a little pineyness from the hops. Very hop forward and somewhat balanced with the malty side. The bottle says the IBU's are 99, so the bitterness and dryness is there. At 9%, the alcohol makes its presence known. Mouthfeel is a little on the heavy side.

Overall, this is a nice little twist on the wet hop style in that its a double IPA. It reminds me of a double IPA that comes from another Michigan brewery in January.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last