Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA - North Peak Brewing Company

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPAHoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA

North Peak Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: 33nickadams on 11-04-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Amber/orange bodied beer, hazy. Ton of carbonation lead to a foamy two finger off-white head. Good retention with globby lacing.

S: Whoa, dank hop scent here. Lots of floral and vegetal as well. Bready malt background, nice balance.

T: Quite a bit of floral hops here, some herbal tones as well. Bready background. Quite bitter grassy finish.

M: Medium body, somewhat creamy, high carbonation.

O: Good solid IPA, nice variety with the "dank" hop profile

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a slightly hazy amber hue with a quarter inch sudsy head that fades to leave big bubbles.

S - Aromas of malty sweetness, bright pine, not much alcohol at all. Bit malt heavy.

T - Taste is rather malt heavy, older hops, light pine. Definitely tastes like am old past it's prime double ipa.

M - Mouthfeel is nice and easy drinking.

O - Overall this beer was a bit disappointing. Stale old hops really let this one down.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 10/16/13. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a dark burnt golden. It's clear with a slight haze; huge fluffy eggshell white head that sticks around and leaves awesome lacing and retention. Looks great. The aromas are full of caramel malts and some sticky grapefruit. There's some orange in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty malty, but the hops still do their thing. This is very resinous. Lots of pine resin. More grapefruit. Very sticky. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation and slightly slick. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's easy drinking, but is really big at just 8% abv.

This is a solid DIPA. It drinks bigger than you would imagine. It's not too unique, but it's well crafted. It's good, but I'm not crazy about it.

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am a little new to the Wet Hop IPA but for a first try this one was ok. I was looking for a new beer for my tap. It starts off good but ends with a very bitter taste that last for awhile after I finished to bottle. I would probably not by it again.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottled: 10/25/12

Specs: 12oz bottle, 9%, 99 IBU

Glassware: Ommegang Fluted Tulip

Appearance: Cloudy dark amber copper with a short light tan head.

Smell: Notes of citrus, bread and light caramel.

Taste: Same as the nose, citrus, bread and light caramel with a long medium pithy finish. More earthy than citrusy.

Mouthfeel: Medium+ carbonation with a medium-full body.

Overall: Not what I expected. Didn’t seem to have the fresh intense hop character that I expected from a wet hop IPA. Fairly bitter hop character. Color and taste reminded me more of an Imperial Red Ale than a DIPA. Not bad but not exceptional.

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%

Here we go again with another from North Peak. Poured into a pint.

A: Gentle pour yields 3 fingers of red-tan head with lots (too much) retention. Red-orange liquid.
S: Clean aroma. Citrus, black pepper, mint. Mmmmm.
T: Very sweet with just a little bitterness to balance. Almost cloying. A bit solventy. Purported 99 IBUs aren't showing up. It reminds me of homebrews that I've made and haven't been proud of. Cooked vegetable is there too.
M: A bit warm. cloying.
O: Alcohol comes on strong. I still have not had a good North Peak beer! I want to like them, but it's not happening. Imbalanced like homebrews I've made. I poured this out.

2.89/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a bottle dated 10.21.2011 into a Dogfish pint glass.

A - pours a slightly hazy orange with a glass full of off white foam. Way overcarbed. The website says its an ipa, the bottle a double. At 9% ABV and 99 IBU's, it fits in the latter. Not sure if the hazy appearance comes from bottle conditioning or it's meant to be unfiltered?

S - Getting some tropical and citrus hops with a slight sweetness.

T - Some tropical and citrus hops up front with a slight grassy flavor on the back end. A firm bitterness. Not much else going on. Maybe a touch of hop astringency and carbonic bite. A little dissapointing.

M - Medium bodied.

D - Poor. Higher ABV with some missing hop aroma and flavor with too much carb.

Although I got this from a store that keeps all their beer in a cooler, I would like to try this again, but really fresh. It seems the reviews were higher closer to release date, which is leading me to believe a majority of the hop aroma and flavor has disappeared already.

2.54/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a hazy orange liquid with a massive and craggy bone white head from the massive amount of carbonation.

S- A very odd aroma that is hard to pin down... maybe some kind of fermented fruit? Odd and not all that appealing.

T- Better than the smell. Some kind of odd fruit, pine, and grass. Sweet and malty.

M- Abundant carbonation keeps it light. There is a lasting alcohol warmth.

O- A very odd take on the style. The smell is not very appealing and the flavors are below average. Just not what I look for in the style.

2.18/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from bottle into DFH pint glass. Says "OCT 2011" on the side. So I'm guessing I'm around week 8 or so.

Appearance: Pours a fairly hazy deep amber/copper color with a BIG head, man, almost over filled my glass. Big bubbles, receding quickly, but a thin film remains on the beer for quite some time. Really no lacing to speak of.

Nose: The nose is straight citrus. Orange, some lemon zest.

Taste: I'm almost getting a stomach bile like character off this beer. Lots of really tart and bitter citrus, but nothing really to support it. Hardly any malt.

Mouth: The prickly carbonation leaves an odd sensation in my mouth. Hard to really pin down the exact flavors, and get a sense of this beer, kind of a mess.

D & O: I'm not sure what is going on here, but I'm not a fan. It was unpleasant.

1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

Thanks to surlytheduff for passing this one along to me.

Served in a tulip pint.

Translucent, but not clear, orangey rust color. WAAAY overcarbonated. I poured as I always do and had half a glass of foam whileuch remained in the bottle yet unpoured. Great retention though! The lace is poor-- just some small clingy streaks. There was a pretty big looking yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, and I intended to keep it out of my veer by not pouring the last few ounces--- as it turns out, the rush of bubbles that created such a massive billowing head stopped my pour earlier than even I had planned.

Smells very weak. I certainly get citrus hop notes, but where is all the malt that makes this beer so dark in color?

The taste tough to really pin down because the beer is much too overcarbonated-- the beer bubbles off my tongue before the tastebuds have a fighting chance! Way too fizzy, and as a result, it feels too thin.
I get the citrusy hops, as well as an earthy breadiness with some mineraly notes. Is this an English mild ale? The yeast seems to think so... Some strong bitterness comes on and really makes this one more unbalanced than a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Overall-- a few tweaks and this might be passable as an IPA. A bunch of tweaks, and it might be "good."

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last