Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,580 | Hads: 4,088

The beer smells clean… fresh… and wet. I have heard nothing but good things about this beer. Chimay is known for making good brews. Last week we did another Chimay. I hear this one is dry… and boy, I like dry beers. The beer has a pretty complex nose, so let’s see what this tastes like.

The beer has a ton of carbonation. You are smacked with carbonation on the front of the palate. Then you sit there and wait. You want something to happen; you want there to be some sort of flavor. And there isn’t. Nothing… No, I am serious. This beer is known for their intense flavors. But it lacks in every sense of the word. I feel really bad rating a beer this expensive so low, but I have to be honest… the only thing that this beer brings to the surface is a subtle sweetness.

I am glad that the red isn’t on the list. Hold on though. Let me go back to the sweetness I am experiencing here. Yeah, that’s it. The beer just lacks on so many levels. It’s better than a domestic… but that’s about as far as I would go. I just heard Sheryl say, “This is what a domestic beer tastes like in a foreign country.” I would have to agree. Even though I didn’t like it doesn’t mean you won’t! Just not for me. (1,227 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -62.7%

11.2 oz short bottle. I popped this as my first beer of the day and poured it into an Orval goblet. Lots of carbonation. Pours with a thick even head that gently subsided leaving fine even lacing. So far so good. It has an opaque murky amber color with a very light unimpressive apple-citric smell. Much less fruity smelling than other triples I’ve had. I’m starting to worry.

Mouthfeel has a carbonated bite that stings the back of the throat on the way down. Taste is extremely carbonated and has a foul aftertaste. This one is losing me fast. The tripel itself has a very unusual and hard to describe taste. Not very pleasing at all and not what I’ve come to expect based on previous reviews. Going, going…. At $5.49 a bottle, definitely overpriced and I’m certainly glad I only purchased one. My first and last Chimay…gone. I am not going to slam this but this certainly ranks among the least favorite tripels I’ve had. Too bad as I was expecting much more. The Val-Dieu tripel I had yesterday was far superior in every aspect but the head. I think I’ll pop one to get the taste of this out of my mouth. (1,117 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -60.7%

I must have missed the boat with this one. Last night I tried the second one of the two I bought this past Saturday. It was syrupy thick and sickeningly sweet and after two sips I gave it to my buddy who'll drink anything. If this was the last beer on the planet, I'd stay sober with little problem. This beer was terrible. I will not subject myself to this again. (364 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer sucks. Taste's like a carbonated milkshake. Cant believe I spent five dollars on this poor excuse of a beer, while I could of got a bomber of Stone IPA for the same price. Those monks are drinking to much of their own product, and they're drunk during the entire process. I will try again once they sober up, and quit adding cinnamon and sugar to their beers. (369 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -49.4%

I don't know how else to put this...but I was disapointed in this one.

This is my first Chimay...I love Belgian beers, but this was boring.

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but here goes:

I had the 11.20 ounce...not a bad pour, in fact I did it too fast and lost some beer! Very hazy dark goldenrod color, head dissipates, some lace in the glass. It smells...like tar. Tastewise: I find it very tasteless! I'm trying to describe what I'm tasting, but there's not much here to go on...very slight sweet aftertaste, but really nothing to describe. Trust me, I'm trying. Maybe extremely faint citrus flavor.

I will have to buy another bottle, but this is my review of this beer today. (686 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -44.5%

Maybe I just don't have the liking for a Tripel but this was awful to me.

I tried it with a couple friends and one had the perfect description, he said 'this tastes like leather'.. and yes in that weird way it did. Nothing sat right with me. It wasn't too strong or bitter or hoppy or malty or anything like that. It just made my mouth say.. why did you just drink that? It did get a little easier to drink and I went on, but I still did not care for it. Sorry to bring this beer down but everyone else should know what they are getting into. (543 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served cold, shortly after retrieving from the store freezer, in an elongated Belgian tulip glass. A 750ml bottle costs $13 - too pricey as comparable drinks go for under $12.

The cap popped loudly and autonomously after I removed the security seal, making me jump. Pours a foggy-copper with a high head of medium retention.

Smells like a cheap witbeer - Samuel Adams or Blue Moon: yeast with caramel hints.

I love Tripel's, but this tastes bland, some maltiness with bitter overtones that linger, with the 8% alcohol barely perceivable. Too bitter for my taste as I prefer sweeter and more complex Belgium Tripel's, like Maredsous 10.

High carbonation, medium consistency that's a little too light for my taste.

Overall, this is a bland-tasting, poorly balanced brew, not worthy of a Belgium beer aficionado. I'd choose this at a sports bar if there was nothing else available to get me buzzed. (901 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -36.4%

White

A lovely yellow orange golden color, with a thin white head with a moderate amount of carbonation shooting up form the bottom. No effort to decant this beer leaves a nice density to the body without any issues.

Citrus and a touch of sour notes with virtually no malt aromas are all I can get from the start. The next smell brings out light sugar which turns the citrus notes to a citrus fruity aroma.

This beer takes on a summer beer’s citrus and fruity flavors with hops that give off a touch of sour but finishes dry and clean. The best triple flavor I’ve had. Just a wonderful citrus flavor.

Now the flaw of other Chimay beers only x10. This beer is virtually undrinkable with all the carbonation. (715 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 300ml bottle into a Liefman's chalice. Pours a cloudy orange hue with a smallish white head that is rather short-lived. Carbonation is large bubbles and is not as long-lasting as in my favorite tripels. Aroma is dominated by spicy Belgian yeast, with notes of allspice and coriander. Flavor is excesslvely bitter - not from hops, just astringent and very acidic, almost like a gueuze. Mouthfeel is foamier than I like in a tripel. Maybe this was a bad bottle, but I really don't think this beer lives up to its reputation. (536 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%

Reviewed 11/24/2005 (bottle):

Pours an amber colored body, with a small white head. Some spices and some alcohol are present in the aroma. Has a pale and dry taste, with a bitter aftertaste. A little bit of sweetness, but not enough to balance the bitterness in my opinion. (274 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.6%

A - Poured a medium gold color. Got a little shy of one inch of head. Retention was average. Lacing was good. Had some floaties as well.

S - Good amount of spice on the nose. There is also some yeast and grapefruit. Smell is rounded out by alcohol.

T - Taste seems thin. There is some sharp spice at first. That is followed by bread and alcohol. That is really about it. Pretty much a let down.

M - Light bodied and thin. Not much else I can say.

D - Drinkability is average at best. It goes down easy but overall I was not impressed and will not have another. (564 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Caramel brown with a monsterous four finger off-white head that lingers for about five to ten minutes before making an iceberg of foam in the middle. The beer is cloudy from visible small particulates, likely yeast. Also carbonation is visable in spite of the haze. No lacing, but I think that is the glass.

S - A nice soothing floral aroma, a bit of the odor from those red annuli that come with steaks, and then there is some seltzer water.

T - Ugh, this isn't very good at all. The taste is sour and tart. It tastes a lot like when you put a crushed vitamin C tablet in a bit of boiling water and drink it. There is potent foul bitterness that meshes with the sour. The sourness vanishes quickly, but the bitterness lingers for minutes on the back of the tounge.

M - Thin, water, carbonation makes it harsh, rather refreshing considering the horrid aftertaste.

D - This beer isn't great. I can think of several tripels I would sooner have. Chimay Red and Blue are delectable, but this is one to pass up. I couldn't session it, but the bitterness might help wash down some foods. (1,097 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

There are certain Belgian beers that I love ... this is definitely not one of them. It pours with a rich, beautiful head and has an inviting, flowery aroma but I find it too sour and bitter. The taste isn't too different from letting a vitamin C tablet melt in your mouth. Throw in some yeast flavors and you get the picture. (325 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

I'm not a big fan of this one. It has many of the nose, taste and mouthfeel characteristics of a Belgian tripel but it was still a little too bitter for my taste. Not a hoppy or green bitter but just not as sweet sweet as I like in a tripel. It's certainly drinkable and I wouldn't turn my nose up at one if out and about but if given a choice between this and many of the other great tripel style beers out there, I'd probably choose something else. (450 characters)

11.2oz. bottle.

A: Pours nicely into a mug. Honey-colored with a 2-finger white head. Pretty good retention.

S: Banana and some other fruit. Background of grains and yeast. I think this one may be too rich for me.

T: Very rich and bitter, but the best tripel I've tried so far. I think I'm just not a fan of this style. Banana, dried fruit, and alcohol dominate the taste, with a background of some light spices. Bitter bready aftertaste.

M: Highly astringent - to the point of physical puckering and spine tingling. Medium body, which is nice, and the carbonation is decent for the style.

D: Not drinkable for me - the taste is too rich and fruity, and the astringency makes the drink a pain to put down. I'll sadly be pouring the rest of this out. (754 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours an opaque orange straw with two fingers rocky head. Strong fresh baked bread backbone wit some lemon and slightly spicy yeast aroma. Very bready, like a sugar loaf in taste. Some spiciness and banana, pretty subdued. MF is very creamy, big fan of the feel. Easily drinkable.

While this was easy to drink, it wasn't that interesting. The flavors were subdued and muted. The spiciness could have been kicked up a notch. The banana could have stuck out more, been more in my face. Maybe that's just not their thing, I don't know. But I'll tell you one thing: if this is how it's always going to taste then I'll pass. Hopefully I had a bad batch or one that was handled improperly. (684 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured from a bottle a clear yellow with a healthy white foam head. Has a sweet yeast aroma. Flavor is surprisingly on the sour side. There is a touch of honey and fruit, but the sourness dominates and makes it difficult to enjoy. Has a medium body feel, pretty smooth. This just does not have the qualities I have come to enjoy from trippels. (343 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Stubby bottle from Cardinal. I love the red cap Chimay, so I was looking forward to the white cap. I must note that I do not care for this particular style in general. The conditioning usually boats me too much, however the effects are usually stellar. At any rate I poured this extremely slow, still yielded a 2 finger lasting head. To me this was all spice. taste was mostly crushed black pepper, with a hint of orange underneath. This ale probably has the biggest contrast between the initial taste and the back end...It's a good quality brew, just not my cup of tea...Palate was soapy and resinous. (602 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a yellow golden color. Thick, white head with small tight bubbles that really stick to the sides of the glass. Light, spicy smell. Musty taste. The mouth feel is great, but the musty basement taste is not. It leads into a mildew like aftertaste like I would imagine licking my basement floor would taste like. This has the making of a good ale, but ends up with the flavor of a skunked, stale macro lager. Disappointed, as I like the blue and red although over priced.

I may try this again, if someone else buys one as the reviews indicate it is a good example of a triple. I did not care for it and hope this was just a bad bottle. I tend to think not however, because it still had some very positive attributes. Taste and especially aftertaste were not among them. (776 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%

This is my first Chimay brew. Do not know if it is just a bad batch after reading some of the other reviews? Nice amber color with a great head, good looking beer.

Looks is all I got out of this beer. No smell to speak of, taste was likewise almost none existent. None of the wonderful flavors that I have tasted in other Belgium beers. Nice malt taste with almost no hop flavoring.

Nice mouthfeel smooth definitely hides the 8% abv well. A drinkable beer but I was more in the taste department. The store in town just got these beers in hopefully the red and blue will be better. (587 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange-gold, with a two finger, frothy white head. Very slowly subsiding head. Heavy blanket of lacing. A thin layer of the head lingered for the entire glass.

Smell: Much milder than I expected. Bare hints of the typical tripel characteristics. Faint hints of bananas, honey, and spices. The overriding scent is one of a german lager, not a tripel. Not what I was expecting. The banana characteristics become more prevalent as the beer warms, but they're still fairly mild.

Taste: The first thing I noticed was the alcohol, as a burning bitterness that dissolved into a background of sweet bananas and honey. The overall tastes are very mild, as the initial burn seems to dominate. Not a particularly well balanced beer. The tripel characteristics are there, but they're muted.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but incredibly harsh and high carbonation. The high carbonation detracts from the flavor, and makes it difficult to drink.

Drinkability: I have to say, I was very disappointed by this beer. It looked good, but just went downhill from there. To me, it didn't smell like a tripel, tasted watery, and was difficult to drink. It wasn't necessarily bad tasting, but I was definitely underwhelmed by this beer. (1,287 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 11.29oz bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Thick head, extremely carbonated, with a cloudy golden color.

S: The best part: apples, fruit, yeast, malt, and something sweet I can't put my finger on.

T/M/D: Wholly mediocre. Way too much carbonation. Way too many flavors at once. The sweetness/bitterness at the back of my palates borders disgust. Not a particularly good tasting beer. No hop flavor to note, just sweet, and bitter, and not very good. (460 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a hazy orange color. Produced a great fluffy white head with great retention. Lots of lacing too. Some sediment.

(S)- A dry, earthy apple juice, biscuit, and banana aromas.

(T)- Very earthy. . . Tons of clay, banana, lemon, and biscuit. So very dry and earthy; almost musty.

(M)- A crisp carbonation level. An alright balance. Bitter, dry, and tons of earthy clay. Too bitter for my liking.

(D)- Kinda disappointed in this one; very bitter and so much earthy clay, there is not much else to it. (545 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

11oz. bottle, Netherlands.

Pours a hazy amber with a decent head, good retention and lacing. It was difficult not to integrate the yeast sediment, even when leaving beer in the bottle.

Smells of apples, pears, yeast and spice. Some nice earthiness and hop notes as well.

The flavor is rich and malty, but surprisingly bitter. This is a well-hopped tripel, perhaps too much so. The bitterness is sturdy, which I find to be problematic as the drink wears on. The finish is dry, quite bitter, and nearly astringent. Behind the bitterness and earthy hop flavors is a decent amount of sweet, caramel malt and fruity esters, but overall, I am not impressed with the flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel is full, but the carbonation is raw, the bubbles large and bloating. Drinks very average for the style.

I would like to re-review this beer at some point, because I was quite disappointed with it this time. Not a good Tripel. (926 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

Short stubby 12 oz bottle. Initial smell of pure wet dog. Pour produced a gigantic foamy white head atop a cloudy deep golden to light copper color. Dense and thick, the head lasted for-ever. Falling in clumps down the glass. Harsh rotten wet dog smells mellow into metal, grainy and rotten oranges combinations. Taste was grainy, slightly citrus like flavors. Alcohol and faded yeasty combinations mellow. Overall a slightly hot, harsh grainy taste. Some sweet malted flavors come back and forth. Medium bodied, hard to have more than a sip at time. I have heard the bigger bottles with the cork and cage taste better, I might try it in those bottles, but this was such a dissapointment it will be hard to pull the trigger on the big bottle. No where close to the Heavyweight Lunacy I had earlier this evening. (811 characters)

Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.