Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,936 | Reviews: 1,575
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of foamy, lily-white head.

Smell -- Nose is spicy with some mild malty sweetness and gentle yeast earthiness. Floral hop aroma is also evident. Very gentle and inviting, alcohol presence is nicely subdued.

Taste -- Pale malt with gentle powdered sugar sweetness, earthy yeast with mild clove oil and bubblegum. Faint alcohol presence in the finish along with white pepper spice.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with ample foamy carbonation. On point.

Drinkability -- This is absolutely one of the best Triples I've ever had. The fact that it just barely cracks the Top 10 of the style is surprising. Not only is this a must-try Tripel, but also a perfect introduction to the world of Belgian beers.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a caged-and-corked 750mL bottle into my Bruery tulip. Date on the cork is "05/10."

The body is a hazy light carrot orange with amber highlights topped by a rocky fist of merengue-like old lace colored foam. Sticky burls of lacing adorn the glass with tiny dotts of legs.

Vaguely dusty yeast in the nose - mature sourdough starter, plenty of phenolics (quite spicy but hard to pick apart and name individual aromas), and light melon-esque esters. Faint noble hops as well suggestive of alfalfa perhaps?

While I find many examples of Tripels to be sweet, the trappist/abbey renditions are more often dry (probably serving as the basis for the BJCP's description of them). The signature yeast quality contributes the primary flavor which is mineral-laden, peppery, and punctuated with low bitter melon and chamomile notes. Delicate malt emerges on the palate as well, a canvas for the rest of the flavors to play on. The finish is dry and biscuity with spice, river stones, and even sandalwood coming into play. Unique and well balanced.

Effervescent, well carbonated, medium-bodied, creamy, and warming from spice and a little alcohol.

A fine stand-by of the style...

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Served from a 750mL bottle into a tulip with Thanksgiving dinner 2010.

Pours a dark peach color with a two-finger white head that doesn't have the best static power and doesn't leave around as much lacing as would be expected. The nose has some sligt booze with some banana, caramel, stone fruits, and general yeasty esters.

The taste is slightly sweet with a bit of malt, banana, light fruits, and a bit of spice. There is some alcohol there as well. Medium bodied with somewhat low levels of carbonation. Drinks fairly well, but is probably my least favorite of the Chimay trio.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

Split this with my girlfriend for our anniversary. Since it was the first time I'd had it since my year in Belgium, I was pretty eager to see how it measured up to my more mature palate.

Poured a beautiful peachy gold. Hazy, but refracted the light pretty well. I may have been a little too eager to get it out of the bottle, but the head was humongous! Bubbly and white, with a mouse-like body, I had to wait a minute for it to subside enough in my snifter to actually get at the beer. The aroma was clean and exactly how a beer should smell. It was all there: malt, grain, hops, yeast; though the grain was what really stuck out. A hint of fruit was overshadowed a bit by the strength of the beer itself, though it wasn't offensive at all.

This is by far one of my favorite triples. Unlike Westmalle or Tripel Karmeliet, the flavors in this beer are all distinct, robust, and most importantly, smooth. Unlike these beers, the 8% ABV of the Chimay just adds to the body instead of taking away from it, as it enhances the flavors and helps make the beer larger than life. The balance between malt and hops is exceptional, and really allows the grain to shine through. Overall, probably the best Chimay in my opinion, and well worth whatever you might pay for it.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

25.4 oz Caged and Corked... Easiest cork I've ever removed... Seems to push itself out of the bottle...

A - Two fingers worthy of airy, delicate, slightly rocky, pure white head... Modest retention gives way to slightly fuller and definately creamier thick lacing... A light to medium amber orange color... A cyclone of moderate paced can be detected in the center of the glass...

S - Belgian yeast... Pear... A bit of lemon zest... The subdued sweetness of golden raisins... Some faint spices... Also some grassy notes... Nothing dominate, but there is wonderful complexity and nuance...

T - Belgian yeast... Pear... Some faint candied sugars... A bit of honey... Lying beneath the surface is a subdued hoppiness... The finish is a mix of lemon and spices... Slightly metallic finish...

M - Medium bodied... Rather Dense... A surprising bit of carbonated bite... A modest lush creaminess... Slightly dry finish...

D - A very very good Tripel, but a notch below world class... Probably my least favorite the common Chimay offerings... There's nothing particular that I can really place my finger on, but this is just a minor let down given the lofty expectations one has for Trappist brews...

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served into a Chimay Chalice

Nice fluffy head that nearly spilled over the edge of the glass. Deep, amber color with little specs of yeast. Robust smell of fruit and hops. Tastes of sweet fruit but not too sweet. Balanced complex taste with malty finish. I savored this beer for a while.

One of the beers that peeked my curiosity for better beer several years ago.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from 1pt 9.4 fl oz. bottle.

A - pours a nice golden orange. phenomenal head, fluffy and tall, great retention. a little cloudy, but thats expected so i can't old it against the beer.

S - Delicious fruity, yeasty aroma. I just love the smell o this beer.

T - Taste also is sweet, fruity, yeasty, some great malt flavors as well. Light, with a bit of alcohol flavor.

M - Not much to say her, smooth, perfect.

D - extremely drinkable, if anything I might say the yeast flavors might get tiresome if drinking many, but not even sure if thats the case.

Al together, this is a fantastic beer, I could drink it all the time.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. Pours a yeast-infused light orange, with a towering off-white three-finger head. Retention and lacing are both amazing. As the head recedes, the surface becomes quite undulating, with large bubbles and pores that are quite amusing to behold. I can't see much carbonation, but that might be due to how cloudy this beer is.

Smell: The aroma of this beer is slightly funky and slightly sweet. There is a bit of yeast discernible, as well as some spicy pepper. I'm definitely getting more hops in the Tripel than in the Abbaye's other varieties.

Taste: The flavor is very well balanced, with a much creamier feel than I anticipated. There is some nice citrus and pine bitterness, but there is also a very pronounced malt backbone that has some lovely toasted nuance. There is less pepper in the taste than the nose, and as the beer warms I'm picking up some fruity/grape flavor. It almost reminds me of the fruit leather my mom used to put in my lunches as a child.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a fairly creamy feel. Pretty good bitterness up front, malty in the middle, and a nice dry finish.

Drinkability: Probably my favorite Tripel thus far. I was actually pretty surprised when I looked at the ABV; wouldn't have pegged this for an 8% ABV beer. I will definitely come back to this one!

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

poured into a chimay goblet

A- Thick and cloudy white on yellow very similar to a north coast pranqster. Nice white head

S- Nice and hoppy, good fruit smell

T- Overwhelmingly malty, citrus notes come in at the end, finishes smooth.

M- Very Good carbonation and on the swallow you almost forget its there. Good.

D- Not my favorite of the style by any means, probably wont be drinking it again.

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this bottle 1 year and 3 months old.
A- Big fluffy white head, endless carbonation, 90% transparent orange golden color.
N- Medicinal and slightly floral, reminds me of circus peanuts.
T- Delicious grainy maltiness, fleeting nutty character, excellent earthy yeast flavor, light hops with slightly cheesy aged hop character, mild phenolic after taste.
M- Smooth, good carbonation, very dry finish.
D- Very drinkable. Solid tripel with excellent character and mouthfeel. Dry finish leaves you wanting more.

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Chimay glass.

Look: pours orange with a lot of cloudiness. It looks like haze but there's also some yeast suspended throughout. The eggshell head is huge and fluffy and it retains for a very long time, ultimately ending with a thin layer of foam atop the beer. It leaves a little lacing but not that much, which is odd considering the impressive head.

Smell: spices and yeast fill my nose. There's some fruitiness, some grassiness and spices like cloves. There's noticeable alcohol as well.

Taste: lightly sweet with some honey and candi sugar flavors. There's some of the spices from the nose and some yeast flavor as well. There's a little hoppiness to it but not that much. Alcohol is present though not overbearing.

Feel: medium bodied, heavily carbonated. Dry aftertaste.

Drink: fairly high considering the ABV. Very drinkable.

Overall, a solid tripel. While nothing about it makes me go "Hot damn!" it is still very good and probably a required drink if you are into Belgians. Certainly worth a go! Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance:
Golden-orange color, very cloudy. Thick creamy head, lacing sticks on the glass very well.

Aroma:
Cloves, cinnamon and a little peppery, pineapple, banana and clean malts.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Sweet and spicy up front. Cloves, cinnamon and sweet bready malts. Fruitiness, banana with touch of citrus notes. There some tartness in the middle. Body is medium, but very crisp.

Finish & Aftertaste:
Very smooth finish, yet very crisp. I get some peppery aftertaste that lingers very well.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

"She may, she may not, but with Chimay, she may." - Scourmont Abbey "dirty" joke.

Cloudy maize color with a runaway white head. More retention than you could shake a stick at but impressive lace does not ensue.

Spicy white pepper and clove cut through pineapple and a little hay. Taste is spicy and dry. There's some pineapple and apricot sweet buried under all the clove and mustard seed. Effervescent carbonation. Dry aftertaste sometimes clears the palette and sometimes leaves a lasting burn sugar fade.

I like Chimay's Brother Theodore yeast better in dubbels and quads.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A:Yellowish burnt tint,unique head bubbles.

S:fruity,yeasty,with a freshness that is outstanding.

T:remarkably smooth fruity bananna taste with light floral hoppy finish.

M:like I said smooth!med body.

D:I can't find anything bad to say about this ale.It does down easy,has the right taste,and keeps you interested.Please send me some free samples,anybody!?

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

A: A thick head stands sturdy on top of a beautiful slightly hazy golden beer with a nice steady stream of bubbles rising through it. Excellent lacing.

S: A bit to be desired here. Clean and crisp with alcohol and herbal/earthy notes.

T: Excellent well balanced ale with a small amount of fruit sweetness and a small amount of hop bitterness. Definite alcohol presence as well as earthy yeast flavor.

M: As expected it has a wonderful feel to it that only a Belgian can give. Thick and creamy with a medium weight that gives way to an extremely crisp finish. Not dry: crisp. A little graininess from the yeast if you disturbed much of it during the pour.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

A: A nice orange color, with some reddish and brown hue, semi traslucent, lots of carbonatation which generate an abundant, creamy, thick dirty white head. With good retention, and waste is shown on glass.

S: some sweet and hops, small spicy notes

T: some sweetness is presetn at the very begginign, it changes to a nice bitterness that persist for a while, the alcohol presence is percived, but is not uncomfortable, the finish is long. A little bit spicy

The taste lasts, that makes you to drink it in a very slow way if you want to enjoy until the last minute of flavour

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

*review from notes - Xmas '09*

Pours a hazy burnt orange, 2 fingers of cloudy white head with nice retention - great looking pour! A nice yeasty smell, some banana, pear, spices, fresh bread, even some floral hops. Fairly sweet tasting, Belgian candy and sweet malts shine initially, but balances out nice with the fruit, hops and spiciness. Lots of carbonation and somewhat dry, but smooth. A very well balanced example of the style, as Ive found the other Chimay varieties to be.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a light golden-orange color with a couple fingers of tight white head. Retention is very nice, and the remaining lacing is tight and abundant.

Smell: A good deal of citrus, esters, cloves, a bit of banana, and Belgian yeast.

Taste: This is probably the most citrus-y tripel I have tried. Quite a bit of citrus (grapefruit and even pineapple) up front, with cloves, esters on the back end. A bit of dry bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light bodied, mouthfeel is soft and creamy. Very nice overall with slightly peppery carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer; the alcohol is well hidden.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a cellar temperature 33 cl bottle into a Chimay goblet. The beer has a tarnished gold color and a pure white head. The head is made up of tiny white bubbles and was about two fingers in height, although it has slowly settled. Some lacing is left behind. A noticeable amount of carbonation is rinsing from the bottom of the glass.

This triple has a very nice aroma. There is a lot of orange peel. A hint of spice mixes with the Belgian yeast to provide a crisp scent. Crystal sugar provides a bit of sweetness.

The flavor is characterized by a subtle sweetness and a mild peppery kick. A little bit of alcohol is present; it is more noticeable after I swallow. Flavors of lemongrass are also apparent.

This beer has a full body and a lot of carbonation. There are so many bubbles that if I hold onto a mouthful before swallowing, it foams up without me swishing it around. It isn't a sticky beer, and the coating is slight--both impressive aspects. The foaming is kind of off-putting though, hence a lower score.

Despite this foaminess, I will easily finish my glass. The spices aren't overpowering and are easily consumed. This isn't my go to triple, simply because there are local Belgian style versions that I prefer, but for an authentic Trappist version, this is a great example.

3.72/5  rDev -9.9%

The color is a dark, almost burnt honey golden orange and there was a medium head when immediately poured into the glass. While sipping, the foam laced along the inside of the glass can be described as determined, or slightly slow to dissolve.

While I would still categorize it as a pale ale, it has a different flavor than I am used to, and I had to look up the fruits that went into the making. While any seasoned beer taster might be able to pull out the scent of dried grapes from a few whiffs, I did not recognize anything that resembled raisins and discovered that what I was smelling was fermented Muscat grapes, which are primarily used in sparkling, dessert, and table wines. And maybe raisins. But fermented grapes have more of a bitter, sour smell to them than when they are dried, and this Chimay definitely had a moist sweetness to it.

The last thing I noticed while I was drinking it was that it left a slightly bitter after-taste on the back of my tongue, which complimented the thickness of the liquid rather nicely. Not to mention, when I sipped it after munching on some salty popcorn, it was like the sweetness was holding hands with the salt and dancing in my mouth. I promise, I've only had two bottles, I'm not drunk off my ass like it probably sounds.

I would definitely stick this beer into the 'end of fall' category, as it almost tastes like autumn. I would drink it sitting around a bon fire, maybe cooking some fresh caught, well-buttered white bass or walleye; the smell of burning leaves and the sound of crackling wood mingling with the hazy bitter hops and yeast on the back of my tongue, bursting just as I finish the gulp.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a stubbie bottle into an oversived wine glass.

A-Cloudy straw color with a fluffy shite head. Minimal lacing (which is probably th efault of the glass)

S-Slight smell of florals and alcohol.

T-Wow. I have been trying many differnt tripels in the past few months, and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. There is a spicy note to it, but it is subtle where others seem to be almost overwhelming.

MF-he carbonatoin is high and as such it tickles the tongue a little. Thinner than I was expecting orm looking at it, but it felt very nice.

D-The second most drinkable tripel I've ever had. I enjoyed myself very much.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I'm not done looking for different tripels to try, but I can see me coming back ot this one often.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Very appealing. The colour is a deep and hazy orange. When poured it produced 3 fingers of white, soapy-looking head with retention that is quite decent. Good lacing.

S - Sweet malts and yeast are most noticeable. Some subtle hops are also present, along with some faint citrus notes.

T - Not nearly as sweet as I had thought it would be. The sweetness of the malts are in the foreground, while distinct hops and yeast are also strong flavours. The citrus is pretty hidden but you can tell that it's there.

M/D - Mouthfeel is good, the medium body isn't overly smooth but still feels good and has a little bit of a harsh edge to it that is nice. Drinkability is great for the style. It is a beer that has a great flavour and feel to it without sacrificing the desire to consume a few of them.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

A classic beer here.
Pours a apple juice color with a white head and really nice lacing. Smells of apples and malty goodness. Tastes spicy, peppery, bubblegum flavored, with apple notes. Mouthfeel is quite nice and smooth. Drinkability is good as well.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - first impression is beer pours with a tremendous amount of head and lingers for a prolonged period of time. The colour is a golden haze, unable to see through the glass.

Smell - I am going to have to say a very strong smell of hops, even a little hint of vanilla. Very natural smelling beer.

Taste - a bitter taste with a strong sense of alcohol, i guess that is why its 8%. The taste if full bodied and last throughout the sip.

Mouthfeel - full bodied and the carbonation is weaker than expected, almost a non carbonated taste in my mouth.

Drinkability - Overall this is a very deep tasting and rich in flavour beer, it offers a lot to the mouth as it goes down. Overall, i would not lean to this for a "night out" but a good starter or finishing beer.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Long time no have. Poured into Chimay chalice (at Maison du Peuple) a ruby orange colour with a nice creamy head that laced all the way down.

Yeasty, phenolic fruitiness comes through on the nose and that certainly predominates on the palate as well (apple, pear, as well as the usuals?). There is also a slightly pine-like quality that yields to the hops, giving way to a nice dry finish. The alcohol and yeast make it slightly heavy but you can certainly a couple in a session. Very unlike other triples, much easier to drink and the alcohol is much more balanced (although it also has much lower ABV than others).

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.