Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Reviewed (again) during a tasting of all three of the main Chimay offerings to compare/contrast.

Poured from a stubby ~12oz into a big fat goblet. No obvious birthday. Slightly cloudy with small flecks of suspended yeast. Very light gold in colour. Light white head, soft and falling.

Smells much more traditionally malty and more vegetable-like yeast. Slight booze on mineral water. Spice is citrusey - cardamom or corriander.

Taste is more bitter, less sweet, and full of malts. Touches of candi, chalky yeast. Some hints of fruit on the palate along with the booze - banana or mango.

Effervescent at first and chalky to finish.

ojiikun, Aug 20, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

On tap at Zeno’s in State College, PA
A: Cloudy medium amber with a small, off-white, creamy, slowly diminishing head. Good lacing.
S: Fruity and spicey. Belgian yeast with some biscuity malts.
T: More spicy yeast than anything else here. Huge clove, licorice, light toasted malts
M: Medium body, thinly dry texture, moderate carbonation.
D: eh... good but a bit drab (other than the spice). I guess I expected more out of this beer.

ski271, Aug 14, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Poured into a Chimay goblet from the wine-like bottle. A darker, cloudier Tripel than I'm used to. Deep orange with some ruby notes. 2 finger head that leaves behind tons of lace.

Smell: Strong and overpowering aroma of light fruits, along with some spices and a hint of citrus. Hops and alcohol is evident as well. This is going to be a crazy beer...

Taste: ...and my nose proved to be right. This is indeed a crazy beer in many ways. The taste is rich and complex, with a very hoppy, spicy finish. Belgian yeast hits you up front, smoothing out into more mild fruit flavors and citrus. You can also feel the alcohol here. 8% is big enough as it is, but it seems even bigger. A good one for sure, but not my absolute favorite...and I had to take it slow here.

Not Chimay's best, especially when sitting next to their fantastic Blue Label... However it's a good Tripel, and packs quite a punch. This one may require some aging to smooth out the edges, but was pretty good fresh.

BucBasil, Aug 07, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -34.6%

Stubby bottle from Cardinal. I love the red cap Chimay, so I was looking forward to the white cap. I must note that I do not care for this particular style in general. The conditioning usually boats me too much, however the effects are usually stellar. At any rate I poured this extremely slow, still yielded a 2 finger lasting head. To me this was all spice. taste was mostly crushed black pepper, with a hint of orange underneath. This ale probably has the biggest contrast between the initial taste and the back end...It's a good quality brew, just not my cup of tea...Palate was soapy and resinous.

TechMyst, Aug 03, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Lovely cream colored lacing, light brown/orange colored beer. Poured into an oversized wine glass, it's the best I could do.

Spices, hops, lively smell. You know you're about to have a great experience.

Earthy, spicy, yeasty, warm flavor. Great beer. Fantastic mouthfeel, with a perfect level of carbonation. Smooth and drinkable. In fact, I could drink this all day. Not too heavy and not too light. Well balanced, flavorful. Excellent.

jar2574, Aug 03, 2007
4.13/5  rDev 0%

Has a best before date of 2008 but I hope it will hold up longer cause I have another 20 or so ( I think the beer should be fine in my cellar). A rush of foam tries to escape as soon as I pop the cap and it would have if I did not pour right away. There is a lot of sediment in this brew ( I tried some without the sediment and some with and I must say I prefer it with the cloudy goodness).Has a white pillowy head that leaves behind some good brussels. Good retention as well. A rush of bubbles keeps the eyes happy.

The nose is rather complex. Has yeasty spice character, with some banana bread, fruits, floral notes and some sweetness. The alcohol is well hidden.

Has a good warming spiciness on the palate as well. The alcohol is evident but not overpowering. Also has some fruitiness and lots of carbonation.

I really enjoy this tripel. Not my favorite but still an awesome beer.

irishkyle21, Aug 02, 2007

11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Thick foamy 2 finger head that slowly fell to a thin coat leaving a little lacing. Body was a bit hazy, light brown.

S: Average strength aroma of fruit w/ notes of hops, yeast, malt, and spices.

T: Pepper, yeast, malt, raisin, tart fruit, and a bit of hops - quite complex (at least for me), but balanced very well.

M: Medium body w/ average to high carbonation. Smooth, but dry.

D: The alcohol is hidden well. Tripels are not among my favorite (or least favorite) styles, but I could certainly drink quite a few of these.

Much to my surprise, I liked it quite a bit more than the Westmalle Tripel I started the session with.

OKCNittany, Jul 28, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Drank on-tap at the Publick House, Brookline, MA

Poured a slightly hazed, honey-amber with a tight, one-finger head that slowly dropped to a clingy film.

The aroma was super rich, sweet and spicy and became even more pronounced as the beer warmed. Sweet Belgian malts and a distinctly Belgian yeast strain were immediately recognizable, along with intense spices, honey and Belgian candi sugar.

The taste was similar to the nose except somewhat dryer and a bit more restrained. Creamy, supple malts came through on the front end with notes of Belgian yeast and a ripe, juicy fruitiness. As the beer warmed, the palate became rounder and more full, as well as somewhat sweeter. The spiciness (coriander and clove) came out as well, along with hints of sweet citrus. As the beer approached the back end, the flavor profile shifted dramatically. A restrained yet noticeable hoppiness appeared and carried into the crisp, dry finish.

Mouthfeel was full and creamy with a fine, lively carbonation that tickled my tongue and cleansed my palate.

At 8% ABV, the alcohol was hardly perceivable.

This is an outstanding tripel that really shone through on-tap. It paired perfectly with my morbier cheese plate.

Damian, Jul 28, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy, orangish-yellow color. Effervescent. Head was creamy and off-white. Hoppy and phenolic nose--wonderful. Some underlying citrus scent. Body was medium with lots of hop flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Relatively dry. Good, rich creaminess in the mouthfeel. Felt prickly and alive. Drinkability is outstanding, especially considering the ABV.

A wonderful, classic beer. One of my favorites.

shererjt, Jul 23, 2007

11.2oz Bottle
$3.69
Sam's Downers Grove

Chimay's tripel pours a murky, hazy orange that turns more golden when held to the light. Some sediment but it's very small and just makes for a hazy body. 1+ finger white creamy head that recedes to a half finger and leaves lacing on it's way down. Thick drink lines after each sip.

Smell is quite fruity with peach being the main component along with pear and green apple. A doughy rye bread maltiness struts around in the background. Yeasty spiciness swirls around and is subtle at times while standing out at other times. There's a darker somewhat heavy sugar quality along with wildflower petals.

Flavors transition seamlessly up front. Peach and pear start things off along with a helping of candi sugar. Even some creamy banana. Doughy malts and a mix of spicy alcohol and a spiciness from the yeast show up mid palate. The spiciness follows through to the finish where it meets up with a slightly sticky sweetness. Dusty yeast character on the swallow.

Medium body with a creamy texture as it hits the tongue. A little too sticky for a tripel, for my liking anyways.

Easy drinking tripel. My glass is disappearing pretty quick. Good fruity flavors make for an enjoyable sipper.

A solid tripel from one of the few remaining Trappist Breweries. An enjoyable treat when in the mood for a slightly heavier bodied tripel.

joe1510, Jul 22, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a honey color with a white head that recedes a bit too quickly, leaving no lace. Smell is bready with honey, apricots (both fresh and dried), alcohol, and herbal hop. Flavor starts off with an almost chewy malt flavor doused with honey and fruit which is followed by some yeasty spice and alcohol in the middle and finishes dry with a touch of grain and some herbal/tea hops that give off a solid bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel feels lively and light in weight yet has solid body and almost coats the tongue in malt. One of the best tripels I've had.

goochpunch, Jul 12, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Very yeasty in the bottle, probably disturbed by me, since I had it on the door of the fridge. Pours beautiful deep golden, a bit darker than I would have guessed, but still very nice. Awesome foamy head which disssipates to reasonable level quickly. Big bubbles indicate adjunct conditioning, which is cool with me.

S - Has that typical Belgian smell - banana, clove, pepper. I love that smell.

T - Taste to go along with the smell. Add in the alcohol character, which I like, and this tastes great! The hops are even assertive, which I also tend to like, coming from the IPA world.

M - Nice big fuzzy carbonated feel. Perfect to the style, I think. Nice and dry, but there's a little sticky/syrup aftertaste/feel. Nice round feel from the "banana" in the yeast.

D - I could drink this all night, or until the 8% ABV knocked me over. I love it!

The only negative I could say about this is that it is very expensive. I paid $9.61 at Cask'n'Keg in Mystic for a 75cl bottle. I can get a 33cl bottle at Gordon's in New London (GO THERE!), but I'm sure it is still a premium beer. But it is so worth it.

ksbrainard, Jul 01, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Poured into a Chimay chalice from a 750ml bottle. Huge head formed upon initial pour with a creamy white/tan color. Hazy tan coloring with an inviting carbonation. Head resolves to a one finger head that remains. Great lacing climbs the glass as the liquid decreases.

Smell - Roasted malty aroma. Mild spice as well. A bit of a grasy and fresh smell.

Taste - Smooth spice introduction, continues with a malty middle presentation and a very smooth finish. The alcohol is very, very subdued and will sneak up on you. There is a bitterness but it is very balanced with the overwhelming malt.

Mouthfeel - Very dense and very dry finish. The carbonation is fine and doesn't add much to the density. Wonderful presense.

Drinkability - Excellent respresentation of a triple. I found this offering very balanced would would put this on the short list of excellent tripels.

Nesued, Jun 25, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

on tap @ Freakin Frog in Las Vegas, NV

A- cloudy, drak golden straw, 1" fluffy white, good retent

S- wet sugar, bready, toasted malts

T- toasted malts, wet grassy & earthy, nice balance, just subtle hints of alcohol, gum, some hints of fruit as brew warms

M- medium body, smooth, well carbonated

D- great flavor, nice balance, easy drinking for 8%, tasty, recommended. I see why chimay is so popular

tonistruth, Jun 02, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Lightly hazed apple juicy yellow color with a very fluffy whitish ivory head with fantastic retention.

Smell: A clean and light nose. Floral, mildly piney, and slightly cheesy (aged?) hops are quite noticeable from the outset, much more so than I expected. Spicy/fruity yeast presence lays low beneath a cover of sweetish, honeyed malts.

Taste: Light and sweet like a mild pilsener-pale ale blend, with very forward spicy-resinous hops and a dry, crisp finish. Not too complex but still very tasty; drinks more like a pale ale than a typical Tripel.

Mouthfeel: Cloud-like in its creaminess, light, dry, and snappy.

Drinkability: Light, robust, very drinkable, I would even say sessionable if this wasn't 8% alcohol. Neither too sweet nor too spicy; extremely well-balanced.

soulgrowl, Jun 01, 2007

my least favorite of the 3 chimays but calling it the least of the 3 isn't an insult. Being the least of the 3 is the same as being the 3rd most talented in the Beatles, you're still better than everything else out there.

Not sure what to say about this that hasn't been said. I've had the bottle and the glass and prefer the glass on tap. Smooth tasting, lightest tasting of the three but stronger than red overall. It's just a damn good beer!

Poppypitbull, May 29, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

The color was clear and tan as it poured from the bottle and is orange-tan in the glass. There was plenty of carbonation and a fluffy white head. The smell was both fruity and bready with a lot of alcohol. The taste was quite complex with a fruity tartness up front, bready malt flavors, and very pleasant almost brown sugary aftertaste. The mouthfeel is clean and crisp. I usually find this style of beer not to be very drinkable--I can usually only handle (enjoy) about 8 oz (at the most). But this is very drinkable. This is by far my favorite beer within this style.

PhiloPsych, May 28, 2007

FINALLY a Trappist on tap. A lighter amber-ish color with a nice white head retention. Smooth with a small dry end. I think I could drink this all day, it is mellow enough to go with whatever you are doing or eating. I just hop to see the other Chimays on tap soon, or even other Trappists.

OWSLEY069, May 28, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9%

The Chimay White was kind of better than I had expected and it is also the last of the 3
Chimay beers (except the Doree) that I am aiming to taste. The Chimay White has been
sitting in my fridge for at least 3 weeks since I bought it and on the night of tasting,
I poured the contents from the bottle into my Chimay Chalice. The slightly dark golden ale
smells of aromatic floral hops with subtle yeasty and malty notes. It pours out with a
generous head (I sloshed it a little to create a larger head - I made a more perfect pour
this time) which dissipates fairly quickly leaving fair lacing. The beer tasted yeasty,
malty and more importantly with a neat blend of spices. The mouthfeel was close to full
bodied and the taste was very strong with subtle fruity tones; it is significantly better
than the Maredsous 6 Blond which I had tried the day before. The after taste was yeasty,
malty and spicy and the fruity tones were further pronounced and I thinK I can compare it
to fresh green grapes and peach. The after taste was also rather strong though it was not
as lasting as I may have desired. At 8 ABV the Chimay White is extremely smooth and boasts
of a very high drinkability but I do not reccomend quaffing a premium beer like this one.
All in all, a great beer from the great brewers and one of my favourite Belgian Blond Ales.
Do also note that the Chimay White is a Tripel and I believe I prefer this Tripel brew to
the Westmalle Tripel (although Westmalle's Dubbel is definitely better than Chimay's Red).
Having tried these 3 Chimays, it would be a short while before I revisit them (maybe) and
what I have to say is Chimay is utterly impressive and their red blue and white hybrids
are living witnesses tried and loved by many.

basica, May 24, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle. Cork dated as 11/06.

A: Poured with a huge head. 2 inches plus on the head. Eventually died down but still enough to cover the beer. Appearance is really nice. A deep golden color. Some haziness which tends to give a brownish hue towards the middle of the glass.

S: Complex aroma. Maybe a little bit too complex for me at this point. Distinct fruity character with bananas most noticable. A definite spiciness is there with maybe a small bit of grassy hops as the beer warms.

T: Spicy. Almost hot. Fruitiness up front, but the spiciness is what is most noticable. Alcohol character is not completely hidden and contributes to some of the spiciness. Finish is dry which lends a hand in concealing the alcohol content. As beer temperature rises, the warm, spicy alcohol taste seems to turn a little more towards a hoppy bitterness. Warmth definately helps this beer conceal some of its alocoholic content and bring out some more character.

M&D: Light bodied, at least light bodied for such a complex beer. Nice mouthfeel with a clean finish. Unforntunately, mouthfeel and drinkability balance out for this brew instead of building on one another. Despite the light body, this brew is not one that I'm going to be able to continue to drink after finishing the first. Obvisiously, this is not a session beer. It goes pretty much without saying that this one is a sipper.

A really good beer. The best tripel out there? That's not for me to say at this point. Should certainly be paired with some type of food, maybe take the bro's offerings to task, give the brew a little time to warm after the first taste, and it should go a long way towards pleasing.

NCSUdo, May 22, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a Chimay stemmed glass.

A- Poured a cloudy straw yellow, with a thick white head.

S- Yeasty and spicy, with a slight hop background.

T- Again, very spicy, fruity, with a decent dry finish.

M- Effervescent, but not overly done.

D- Not the best Tripel out there, but a classic none-the-less.

cichief, May 19, 2007

There is a lot of hype behind Chimay, and my only problem with that is that it drives the price up. There are plenty of other beers out there that are cheaper and taste better, IMHO.

That said, this is a decent, reliable, tripel. Chimay was one of my gateway beers, and while I have had many beers since, I still find myself buying a bottle once every month or so.

Poured from a 750ml into my Chimay chalice.

Appearance - Chimay always looks good once in a glass, no matter what color label you like. It has a 1 1/2 finger head, that dissipates into a thin foam. Bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass from start to finish. It is transparent golden honey in color.

Smell - Mostly yeast and apples, with alcohol and hop notes.

Taste - I taste more hops in this brew than most other tripels. It has a slightly sweet front and a bitter end. Chimay succeeds with the level of hops - others such as Tripel Abdijbier Dendermonde definitely don't do it as well IMHO.

Mouthfeel - Nearly perfect level of carbonation for my taste. Very effervescent.

Drinkability - Great. Goes down smooth. I could easy drink a 750ml by myself.

If you haven't tried Chimay, you should. Use your own judgement to see if it lives up to the hype. This is a very good reliable brew. This is my favorite Chimay, but that is due to tripels being my favorite style of brew.

MiguelMandingo, May 17, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

A - The beer pours a rich golden color. The head is thick but not beyond a finger deep. The beer has lots of bubbles floating to the top. The lacing is very sticky.

S - I get a lot of malt and herbal tones. I get a citric smell as well. To me, it's very easy to distinguish the various aromas.

T - Wow! This is truly a balanced beer. You get different flavors as the beer goes down. The malt that comes across well in the smell is even more pronounced in the taste. Decomposing the taste almost seems trivial; this is a magnificent tripel.

M - The beer is creamy and effervescent. I'd say the body is medium and the carbonation comes across well. The beer coats my mouth well without coming across too viscous.

D - I think this beer is very easy to pair. You could have a mediocre meal and this beer would certainly improve your lot. Although not the best tripel, it's certainly the easiest to drink without worrying about pairing.

sessycuban, May 15, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

ST: 11.3 oz bottle

A: Dark caramel color, large head that settles down to a small lace along the sides of the glass.

S: Sweet, spices, light, clean.

T: Slightly sweet at first, then bitters up in the middle, finishes dry and bitter on the back of the mouth.

M: Smooth, clean, with a easy mouthful.

D: Not as good as the Red or even close to the Blue, but still a good brew from a great brewer.

ThirdCoast, May 13, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into the appropriate Chimay chalice.

A: There was a lot of unsettled yeast in the bottle before the pour. The beer is a deep golden honey color. A thick and creamy white head formed on top due to the very active carbonation.

S: Smells clean and crisp with some light citrus and spices.

T: Some mild hop bitterness up front. Just ever so slightly sweet, a very nice level of sweetness in my opinion. Slightly tangy comes through in the flavor of light citrus rind along with some faint spices. The alcohol is there but not at all overwhelming. It finishes crisp and dry. Very refreshing yet with very complex flavors.

M: Nice mouthfeel, it goes down smooth with a high level of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable: nice flavors to go along with a smooth beer with good complexity. A very good triple.

willjschmidt, May 11, 2007
Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.