Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this on tap at Fidler's Hearth. Paid $8 for a 6oz pour I think. It was poured on draft into a Chimay Chalice.

Very light golden in color, smells of strong banana, light cloves.

Tastes very fruity up front, dry finish.

Very crisp, clean mouthfeel, typical belgian.

All in all, great belgian trippel. The alchohol hides very well. I think the Chimay Red is my fav, however I was very impressed with this. I need to compare it to the bottle, but on draft its simply amazing.

JToad, Mar 03, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Had this one at the Brewhaus.

A - Pale gold/bronze with a big ass white four finger head of rocky foam. Lots of lace sticks to the glass.

S - Spiced fruit drizzled in honey and encrusted with peppercorns. I can smell a little whiff of ethanol, but I sort of like that.

T - Pear, green grapes, and some green apple. There is a lot of spicy pepper and tangy herbal hop flavors in this one.

M - Medium bodied with aggressive carbonation and some real alcohol authority. The finish is dry and dusty, and the aftertaste is long lasting and tasty.

D - Perfectly drinkable and complex enough to keep it interesting. This is a world class beer!

pmcadamis, Mar 01, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

I went down to the Headkeeper tonight and bought a CHIMAY gift pack with three bottles...one each of the Triple, Premiere, and Grande Reserve along with a goblet. I figured I'd start of with the Triple, it being the lightest weighing in at 8% ABV. It poured into the goblet with a nice foamy head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving a line of bubbles along the inside rim of the glass. The scent was the scent was musky like a farm house ale but faint. Fortunately what it lacked in aroma it made up for in flavor. This is a bold triple, with a good bit of bitterness. It is a heavenly mix of both fruit and spice, with a smooth finish that doesn't vanish right away. It's funny though; a triple reminds me somewhat of a pinot grigio, not that I would ever admit to drinking one. It isn't a deep dark ale, but is complex and light on the palate all at the same time. There was a good bit of sediment in the bottle, which I made didn't end up going into the goblet. CHIMAY is an awesome Belgium beer, and I would recommend them to anyone. I cant wait to try the other two.

steelcutoats, Mar 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A-Pours a hazy golden-honey amber and forms a nice 2-finger head with decent retention, and leaving mild lacing. Some sediment is visible in suspension.

S-Malt, spice, mild raisin, mild hops, semi-ripe plum, white grape notes, & pear. Sweet and creamy.

T-Nice malt, spice. Attack is sweet and w/spicy yeast, palate is rife w/fruit-same as aromas in the nose, finish is slightly bitter hops w/spice aftertaste, very faint tart citrus, and biscuity earthy fallow. Very good.

M-Good body and weight, carbonation is stronger than what I'd expect, but it works well.

D-All in all, this is a good drink. It is delicious, and goes down smooth.

BoitSansSoif, Feb 28, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Had a Chimay White on tap at redline in Harvard Square this past Saturday night. Came served in the proper chalice. Pours with a nice fizzy head, and with a sunset yellow color. Smells like a classic tripel, with notes of spice and hay on the nose. Tastewise, it's quite good, one of the classic examples of the style. The only thing that I think it needs is that added "oomph"' that some tripels hit you with on the palate. But I must admit, there are a lot more adventurous tripels out there when compared to Chimay White. Otherwise, this is a great choice now that you can find Chimay in more and more bars. When you you are looking for a beer at a place with an average selection, this is a can't lose.

morebeergood, Feb 26, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

On tap, in a chimay tub, at the Bonn Lair in Sac.

A - Clear golden, with lots of head, that left decent legs. The legs and head may have been too much for a tripel.

S - Granny apples, pear, pear-esters, and light earth tones.

T - Pear, more pears, and pear-esters, with a heavy earth tone finish.

M - Carbonation and alcohol feel are absent, which are pluses, but the earthiness means too much Saaz hops for my and others' tastes.

D - This would be a highly touted beer in my book without the addition of so many Saaz hops. Way too earthy for my palate. Chimay, less Saaz please.

MisterClean, Feb 23, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the stubby little bottle to a chalice. Had a thick brown coloring and a cloudy texture. Had a nice half inch head and good lacing throughout.

Primarily, the apples came through with the smell. Not the most complex of aromas, but good.

Tasted apples, some other fruits and sweets (caramel?) with this. Slightly tart, but exceptional as it is.

Had a nice amount of carbonation for a prickly mouthfeel. Also had a very smooth finish.

On the whole, this is a drinkable beer. If you enjoy tripels,check it out.

avalon07, Feb 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

The date stamp on the cork is 03/07.The beer was poured into Chimay glasses and produced a thick off-white head. The head eventually dropped to 1/4 inch but never faded totally. The beer is a highly-carbonated bright amber orange, and it's quite attractive. (Food should please the eyes as well as the palate.) The aroma is surprisingly hoppy with a underlying sweet malt and hints of fruit. The aromas are precursors to the flavor palette. A complex blend of hoppy, fruity and yeasty. There are a range of spices lingering in there as well; pepper, cinnamon are noted. A faint candy sweetness waits in the background. The aftertaste has some drying bitterness with peachy fruitiness in the end. I found the alcohol to be very well-masked.

davidt, Feb 20, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Just reviewed this on tap the other day at FFF so I figured it was time to open the bottle I had and see how it compared. Note this was from one of the short fat bottles, not one of the big tall ones.

A - a dark color that is a mix between orange and ruby. It is rather hazy and opaque as one would think for an unfiltered beer and there is also a bit of dark sediment floating throughout the beer as well. There is about one thumb's worth of a fluffy creamy head that has a light orange tinge to it; As I was drinking this, my snifter was covered with a ton of lacing from this one.

S - get a lot of sweetness coming off of this and at first impression it reminds me a bit of the smell of shortbread. There is also a mixture of citrus fruits such as orange and lime that are tinged with a hint of plum as well.

T- thought this was a lot sweeter than the on tap version as the sweeter malts dominated a lot more than the sharp tart fruits that I tasted on tap. Also a lot less yeasty than the on tap version as this one is dominated by the sweetness and the dark plum flavors as well. There is also a bit more of the alcohol taste as well and on the whole, this one seems a bit of balance to me as it almost seems like the flavors are fighting one another.

Mf - still had a ton of carbonation within this one and I do have to say that i love the feel of this beer in my mouth. The only thing is that I don't know if the never ceasing carbonation goes as well with the sweeter flavors that I find in this bottle as it did with the tarter flavors I had tried on tap. After the liquid is gone, the beers leaves a nice tingly feeling in the mouth as if you are trying to recover from the bubbly onslaugt.

D - overall thought that the bottled really compared in comparison to the on tap version other than this one was a lot better to look at. This one on the whole just did not really do it for me and have to say I was happy I bought just a little bottle. I'd much rather spend on my money on a Westmalle Tripel as I thought that one was much better personally. Worth a try but not worth going out of your way to find it.

jeonseh, Feb 19, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Best before 2010. Poured into a oversized white wine glass. No idea why I haven't reviewed this yet, this is one of my all time favourites and as a BSPA & Tripel lover I'm excited to review this.

Unfiltered amber haze topped by a bubbly white head. Looks like a real lacemaker. Deep orange-brown core.

Aromas: Classic Belgian yeast, pepper, apples, pears, musty grapes. More: apricots, vanilla extract, caramelized sugar, cake mix, crystallized oranges, grilled pineapple. Slivovitz, tangerines. Sourdoughy pale malts, mild fresh floral hop notes counter some of the mustier aromas. Alcohol is well hidden. Beautifully complex but well synchronized. Outstanding nose on this one, even after it has warmed for over an hour.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with strong carbonation, hops give a pungent tart kick on the palate that is nice, keeps it highly drinkable. Finish is spicy and citric, nice and dry. Fruits, yeastiness linger nicely. Finish is short-medium.

The nose on this one is absolutely exceptional. If anything else, check it out and spend an hour just sniffing it.

I'd love to taste this one side by side with La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue), as I feel they have a very similar profile.

Antilochus, Feb 19, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle in a Chimay glass. Aroma of floral hops and yeast. Very cloudy orange with thick, frothy off-white head and lots of bubbles coming up though bottom of glass. Light lacing. Flavor a mix of biterness, yeast, spicy hops and alcohol with a definite "Belgian" character in the background. Effervescent mouthfeel. Fairly light body. Dry finish but had a slightly sweet, bitter aftertaste with hints of alcohol. A very nice tripel.

ojclark, Feb 17, 2008

Judging by the cork, this beer was either brewed or bottled in 4/07.

Color: Golden blond with very thick, whitish head (poured into a pint glass..all I have for now). Well carbonated.

Aroma: Malty and spicy with a hint of raisin in the nose. Seems right for the style.

Taste: Waded through the thick white head until I got to the beer itself. Smooth, spicy and warm. Lots of raisin underneath with some sourness. Warm, bold and definitely a good example for the style.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat dry/sour but nothing overpowering.

Verdict: A strong tripel that is truer to style than other tripels I've had. You have to leave it up to the trappist monks to create a beer that is so complex, it's nearly heavenly in stature.

Brad007, Feb 16, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Date on the cork was 2007

I bought it warm and chilled it for about 3 hours before opening it.

Poured it into my chimay chalice and it poured a honey color with a 3 finger creamy head. Lots of streaking in the glass

Smell is crisp with a hint of apples and a mild spice.

Taste was great....my first Cinq Cents

A great triple

Matty1918, Feb 16, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

The place I had this one had it on the menu as Chimay Cinq Cents, so I didn't really know what it was until I ordered it.

A: Poured a cloudy burnt orange color with a frothy white head composed of fairly large bubbles from the carbonation. The head doesn't take long to vanish to a thin layer on the top.

S: If smooth and clean makes any sense describing the smell of a beer, it does with the Chimay Tripel. I got a slight hint of honey and cinnamon.

T: The beer was served to cold, and it took some warming up for the flavor palatte to open. I found malty and fruity notes and a hint of honey immediately after swallowing.

M: Smooth and lightly carbonated. You wouldn't guess it from the look, but there is a thickness to the beer that caught me by surprise.

D: Although it is a good beer, I can't see making this one a regular in my drinking rotation. It would be nice as an occasional treat, but after the first one, I'd order something else.

windigo32, Feb 15, 2008

A: Has a very golden straw appearance with great bubbles of carbonation. There starts a big frothy head but this subsides somewhat quickly to a lil floater.

S: not very strong somewhat floral with apple like cleanness.

T:Very sharp with some apple lots of carbonation feel in the mouth there is some yeasty and malty tastes i enjoy the taste. cant put anything more to it

Redwood21, Feb 10, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

A very nice Triple, but I am not the biggest fan of Triple's compared to other Trappist ales. Appearance is the typical Triple yellow with a big foamy white head. Taste and mouthfeel are very dry and not as fruity as I would have liked. I personally would select one of Chimay's two other common offerings.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured as usual into the ol' Chimay goblet. Golden in color, with a thin white head that leaves lots of lacing.

Smell is a bit underwhelming, with spices and mustiness.

Taste is medicinal with lots of spices and yeast. There's also a bright estery fruitiness. Some booziness is apparent here.

Carbonation is a bit high. Lightness in body contributes to the booziness taking over the palate with too much warmth.

illidurit, Feb 07, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Pours a golden cider color. Slightly hazy. Two fingers of creamy off-white head. Sticky lace.

S- Fruity and yeasty. Light sweetness, maybe pear syrup.

T- Wow, hits dry hard and quick, was not expecting it. Not as sweet as most tripels, but there is still an obvious and delicious malty sweetness. Still fruity, and a bit citrusy.

M- Light to medium in body. Good carbonation.

D- I would come back to this one, but not one of my favorite tripels.

iasanlee, Feb 03, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into Chimay chalice.

A: Cloudy hazy orange with a thick head and lacing that is sticky through the beer after any swirl. Sediment throughout.

S: Citrus, orange, lemon and floral scents. There is clearly some banana odors.

T: Pure banana right up front. Strong citrus with a bubblegum sticky aftertaste. The bitterness is the major flaw here where it doesnt have what it really needs to match the over fruitiness.

M: Strongly carbonated with a spicy aftertaste.

D: Not all that drinkable but the abv is not noticeable but not abundant either. Not the best.

I still hold strong that the blue is by far the best of the Chimay offerings and this is the weakest after many attempts. Im not sure what Im missing- just not my thing I guess.

marcpal, Feb 02, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Served from a 330 ml bottle purchased from Green's in Atlanta

A - Gold and hazy but still slightly transparent. Tiny carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Poured about a one inch beautiful thick head with solid retention.

S - Some light fruit notes, earthy, slightly sour

T - Ooooh, yummy. A slight alcohol bite at the finish and very crisp.

M - Very nice, carbonation, slightly creamy.

D - Quite drinkable. While not as drinkable as other Triples for me I could have quite a few of these and not think anything of it (until it was nap time).

I love Triples and this one while not being my absolute favorite (Gouden Carolus, Westmalle, and St. Bernardus) is still very good and I will definitely have more of it in the future. These monasteries can make some beer.

jph424, Feb 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

I didn't have the right chalice for this one, so I used the next best thing... a Spongebob Squarepants glass.

The slightly manic porifera chasing jellyfish and staring at me through the translucent amber fluid made this quite a visual treat!

The Chimay is slightly cloudy and has a fine, white head that lingers beyond all expectation. It really is a treat to watch.

Smell is good and fruity.

Taste, like the head, lingers. It is a little harsher than I was expecting in a beer of this pedigree, but quite drinkable all the same. there is a distinct fruitiness to it that is quite pleasant.

The alcohol level is higher than most local beers at 8% - but it really doesn't overpower the other flavours. I actually like the higher alcohol beers, as a lot of the flavours are alcohol soluble - these flavours diffuse their merry way through the fluid and onto the tongue.

This is a good thing.

I don't know if I will be getting a lot more of this, as there are other tripels I like more - but it is a very pleasant drop nonetheless!

btmo, Jan 31, 2008

750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Pours a slightly dulled gold color with a huge white head. No lacing though.

Smell is sweet malt, a hint of citrus.

Taste is sweet malts, some fruit. Has a very bready finish.

Overall, a tasty beer. Not my favorite tripel, but a solid choice. No real flaws.

bluegrassbrew, Jan 31, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

I bought this in a gift pack of all three Chimays...and I was not impressed with any of them,but this one was better then the Red,but not as good as the Blue,having said that I myself will not be buying any of them again,but then again,I prefer Stouts over most Ales,so maybe I am not the best judge of this style.

Vvall, Jan 30, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into my Chimay Chalice. It poured a golden orange color with a thick white head, that left a decent amount of laceing down the glass. The smell is malts with a hint of yeast and alcohol. The taste is of malts and alcohol at first and then giving way to some earthy spices. The overall mouthfeel of this beer is light, with a decent amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer and very drinkable. I wouldn't say it is the best one from Chimay, but like the other two, I could enjoy this one over and over.

KodyBrannon, Jan 30, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Into the Chimay glass, pours a dark gold color with a slight opaque character. White, frothy head. Lacing clings well.

Smell: Nothing remarkable- clean and a small bit yeasty. Mild alcohol as well.

Taste: Sweet malts noted immediately. The alcohol presence is warming but otherwise well-managed. An 'earthy' spiciness is noted towards the middle of the taste that lingers through to the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and rich with a little spicy bite on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and well-crafted in all.

Overall: Another reason why Chimay is an institution upon itself. Another Belgian brew that doesn't disappoint.

coalcracker, Jan 28, 2008
Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.