Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice given I lack the proper hardware. Nice hazy gold color. A little bit of lacing with a relatively thing head that forms little "islands." Nice, sharp hoppy smell. Wheaty with some copper overtones. Maybe a hint of corriander??? Taste is complex, again, hops... wheat, lemon, corriander, bit of a copperish taste as well. Very good. Glides across my tongue and finishes with a nice little whisp of the alcohol but not too strong. Overall a nicely balanced beer that is pretty easy to drink. Two thumbs up.

stof0048, Nov 12, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a hazy golden yellow with a finger of foamy white head that lingers pretty well but doesn't leave much lace.

Smell is quite sweet, with lemon and coriander, even what seems to be a splash of honey, bananas, alcohol, and a little bit of yeast. The aroma is not huge and overpowering; I had to get pretty close to pick it up.

Flavor's still solid, though. All of the aforementioned fruity/citrusy flavors blended well with a certain sweetness that really walks the fine line between nice and cloying quite well. Quite a bit of yeast in the mouth as well before a dry, clean finish. Nice little hoppy bite with a hint of cloves in there, too.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick for a tripel, I think, but pleasantly so, really complements the flavors quite well.

Overall: A decent tripel, but not mind-blowing especially for the money.

whartontallboy, Nov 03, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a nice foamy head into my new Chimay glass! Bubbles streaming up from the bottom throughout.

Smell: Apricots, yeast and alcohol.

Taste: Malty, yeast and fruity. Great big malt/apricot taste up front with the Belgian yeast, vanilla and alcohol coming in at the end.

Mouthfeel: Nice and foamy/creamy that leaves a lightly sweet aftertaste. A bit too carbonated for my taste, but overall very nice.

Drinkability: For a high ABV brew, this one goes down easy. I could probably have another 33cl bottle, but I'll hold off for tonight...

I was really impressed with this one. I had heard that the white label Chimay was the weakest of the three, but the well-balanced flavor and excellent drinkability really won me over. Worth a buy.

jamesdergen, Oct 29, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

after watching that episode of the daily show i can't make myself pour beers into their proper glasses, it just seems to nerdy. but lo and behold they still taste good!! pours a hazy gold with a massive head that looks almost like shaving cream! lots and lots of lacing. has mild spices in the nose, but an overall good whole, clean, smell. the taste is very unique. almost reminds me of a hefe at points. spices, malts, etc. can't taste the alcohol at all. very creamy and smooth with a nice finish. pretty damn good beer if you ask me! alex sure does like it!

radshoesbro, Oct 19, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I'm going to have to buy and review this beer again, because quite honestly I can't remember a whole lot about it, other than that I liked it. Nonetheless, here are (verbatim) the notes I took while drinking it. (Next trip out-of-state I will buy and re-review this beer.)

"Orange-red color, thick foamy white head. Head leaves thick lacing around the edge of the glass. Sweet aroma w/strong hop presence. Interesting & engrossing. Great Belgian flavor, soft sweetness up front with a bitter finish, foamy & wonderful to savor. As it warms, it releases a stronger hop presence. Mouthfeel very good, foamy & with a nice coat to the throat. Overall drinkability okay; I like to have one or two but not more."

danielharper, Oct 17, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this one on-tap at Henry's 12th Street Tavern in Portland, OR. The beer was poured into a medium sized snifter glass.

After having the beer set down in front of me, the first noticable and apparent thing about the beer was it's yellow/orange, cloudy hue. The beer boasted a big 1 1/2", chunky head that dissipated a few minutes after being served. The aroma was overall excellent with some excellent fruit tones and a layer of spiciness. The flavor began with a fruity tartness that ends with a very well balanced hoppiness. The finish also leaves a hint of the alcohol flavor there too, but it's not as apparent as an 8.0 ABV beer could be. The mouthfeel was of a medium body, which doesn't hinder or help the drinkability of the beer, which is on the higher side because of the tastiness and excellent aroma of the beer. Overall, a high quality beer that I will be reaching for again, just not too excited to be paying a $7.50 for a single serving again.

edmundfitzoil, Oct 15, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Bronze with a fluffy white head, not much retention, but a ton of lacing! Couldn't ask for more.

S: Clean/fresh smell, a little earth and cloves.

T: Much more earthy than their other brews. I wonder if it's fermented at lower temperatures, perhaps 65 F, rather than the 78 that some of theirs reach. Or perhaps its the hops?
It's initially well balanced, finishing with a crisp bitterness.

M: Light-to-moderate body, plenty of carbonation.

D: Really is exceptional, considering the strength!

Derek, Oct 13, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer has is a golden/straw color when poured into a glass. Once I had finished pouring it into my glass a huge head formed. about half my glass was foam. The head retention is amazing compared to any other beer I've ever seen. The head on this is not just a fluke, I know how to pour beer. The opaque golden beer looks alive, its high carbontion is evident.

There is something about the smell of this beer that makes it different than any other beer I've had. It is a suddle smell and I can't put a finger on what it reminds me of, but it is definitely something different than I've ever smelt before.

This beer has a great taste. I am not sure how to describe what it tastes like. All I can say is that I really like the way it tastes. It feel great as it goes down and is carbonated perfectly. As to the drinkability I would definitely buy this beer again and look forward to the day when I can try Chimay red and blue as well.

becktone, Oct 05, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

My first Tripel.

Pours golden, hazy, with lots of head that lasts. Very carbonated. I didn't have the appropriate glassware and poured in a pilsner glass, which might affect my perception that this beer has a very big head.

Smells of wheatbeer yeast esters -- a little spicy, a little bubblegum or banana. Not overwhelming.

Taste -- Those estery tones come out in the taste. It's pretty delicate. The carbonation sharply starts a finish that is ultimately sweet, but not a malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel--I notice the carbonation dancing in my mouth.

Drinkability. Drinking one is no problem. I'm not inclined to drink two in a row, at least by itself. The sweetness is not to my liking, but perhaps it just needs the perfect complementary food pairing. In any event, at 8% abv and $4 a bottle, I'm unlikely to ever drink two at once.

pweis909, Oct 04, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours somewhat hazy from the yeast, goldish amber color with a billowy white head that subsides into a lasting cap.

Smells of raisin and hefe-style clove, some background alcohol and hints of fresh berry. In the mouth, bready yeast is present along with fruity flavors (banana, raisin, maybe fig?); there's some hop bite and maybe a hint of vanilla as well, and the overall feel is somewhat tart and drying.

This is a nice sipping beer--despite its strength, I'd happily have a couple of moderate servings in succession, though I really need some better glassware for this one. There's nothing really wrong with it, and it's certainly a tasty, pleasant beer, but it doesn't really knock my socks off. It's enough of an introduction to the Tripel style to make me want to try more, which speaks highly in its favor.

Melchizedek, Sep 30, 2005

Pours a medium-gold, cloudy color with an off-white head. In my chalice, it's looks rather elegant and somewhat divine. I detect the following: fruit, spice, and a variety of malts. Very appealing. The taste is delightful; flavor bursting through with each sip. Upfront I taste fruit bitterness followed closely by spices and the intensity of the spices mixing with the carbonation. No one taste dominates the beer, despite the presence of several distinct flavors. My mouth is left with a bready texture and some residual bitterness. I think this is a great beer, but difficult to have several of because of it's potency, but very enjoyable, nonetheless.

jaluria, Sep 28, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 750ml brown glass semi-custom bottle, corked and caged, white on creamy yellowish label

Appearance: hazed gold with huge off-white head, magnificent lacing all way to the bottom

Smell: sweetness and spiciness at the same time, "tightly banded", minor alcohol

Taste: medium to full body, very crisp mouth feel, malt and yeast, minor alcohol in background, hoppy bitterness and fruity sweetness at the same time

Notes: another magnificent brew from Chimay (hard to say which one I like more: red or white)

BeerBeing, Sep 26, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Popped the cap to an audible hiss, this is the only chimay I haven't had so far and I'm excited.

A - Pours off a nice gold with a deep head, it's like I'm sipping off of a cloud.

S - Very crisp, with hints of spices and perhaps fruit.

T - Seriously wow, first fruits with the hit of carbonation then the spice and alcohol. Not only the best tripel I've tasted, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

M - Very clean with the light fruits and tingly with the touch of alcohol and obvious carbonation.

D - I'm giving this a 5 because after this I am going to want many, many more. That frankly is what drinkablity is all about, albiet the 8% ABV.

I've had the other Chimay's and really, really enjoyed them. This one blew my socks off with the taste, it's really beyond words. My entire day is much better having drank this beer.

Bumpon10s, Sep 21, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

I have used the tulip, as usual. With the slightest tilt of the bottle, all the yeast becomes unsettled. This is the reason for the low appearance score. The color is a cloudy gold color, with significant yeast in the glass.

The smell is nice and blended. I think that the yeast has added a complex fruitiness to the smell. Tough to say, as this is my first bottle. Dry, Belgian malt is there too. The taste is great. Again, I think the yeast has added to this beer. I would have liked to have that option, though. The mouthfeel is light to me. Drinkability is high, mainly because this is a very non-offensive beer. I think this would be a good beer to convert someone with (evil laughter follows).

Sephiroth, Sep 19, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a bright clear copper with a mammoth off-white head, excellent retention, great lacing. Nose is spicey with cloves, pepper, and other spices coming through over a slightly yeasty lemon and grapefruit citrus. The nose carries over to the taste, with a sweet and just slightly tart fruitiness upfront--orange peels, lemon, pears, green grapes followed by a big peppery spiciness that goes into a dry and slightly alcoholic finish with a linger clove note and a slight bit of bitterness. Nice flavors, but not quite as full and complex as some other great tripels I've had. Medium/full bodied, moderate carbonation, and a nice creamy mouthfeel. There's nothing at all wrong with this beer, but with the hefty Trappist pricetag, I think there are better Belgian beers I can buy for the same price.

cubedbee, Sep 12, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Pours a bright orange & golden color. Solid 2 finger head that finally settles to a finger. Creamy looking. As I tilt the glass for my first sip, the other side of the glass is completely laced. WOW!
S: I don't know if it was my nose or what, but this was as close to an oderless beer as I've had. Gave it a 3 b/c it didn't smell good or bad.
T: Bitter. The alcohole taste starts out strong and becomes overempowering. Leaves an herbal aftertaste.
M: Well carbonated. Fizzes in mouth. I love the way the thick creamy head feels on my lips.
D: 1 for the pucker factor. 5 for the buzz factor. Averages to a 3 for this category.
This was a beer whose character did not live up to the promise of it's appearance. I dated a girl like that once.

wcudwight, Sep 09, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Near-opaque hazy golden orange, topped by a thick layer of creamy beige foam.

Decent aroma. Citrus and lightly sour fruit - green apple? - and a bit spicy. White pepper, I think. And, of course, yeast. Pleasant.

A touch of sweetness to start the first sip - honey, but with a touch of peppery spice. Very pleasant light hoppiness coming in at the end. Citrus, and a bit floral.

Very pleasant to drink. Nice and light on the palate, with active, yet not hyperactive, carbonation.

Overall, it's a very nice beer. It doesn't astonish me - this isn't a reassess-your-outlook -on-life kind of beer. But it is very nice. And sometimes nice is a pretty good option to have, right?

thesilverhand, Sep 05, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

This is an amazing brew. It was the only trappist on tap at my local belgian beer bar and it was no disappointment.

It is served in a goblet of sorts and the quantity can't be any more than 8 oz (with another 6 oz. of head).

Both the smell and taste and phenomenal. Very, very hoppy yet unbelievably sweet.

I gave it the 5 on drinkability cuz this brew is a powerhouse. After two of them I felt it good.

pgroove, Sep 04, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Maybe I had like the best bottle of this batch, (from my buddy Biglove) but this beer was fantastic. Good sticky head, a true golden body, a light complex body, hint of coriander, and a citrus finish.
This beer is the total package, a true feel good beer.

murrayswine, Aug 31, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -17.7%

I'm another North Carolinian who's buying their first popped beer in the state . . . mainly because it's the only kind bought so far from my local beer store.

This one's a bit disappointing--it's a nice cloudy, orange haze with a great head and lacing, however, the alcohol is not balanced with the hops and malts like some other bigger beers. I may order this one again, but with all these other great ones coming to the Tarheel state, it may be a while.

Backer2004, Aug 29, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

This was my first observance of the new beer law in North Carolina.
It was served to me in a Chimay goblet.
Color- translucent maize, like a lightly toasted Belgian Waffle.
Smell- lemon, sugar, cardamom, yeast, perhaps a bit of clove

This beer has a nice piquant quality- somewhat dry, somewhat tart, but not astringent. There is a restrained sweetness. It whetted my appetite. It is citrusy, with spicy notes lasting into the finish. Wonderful balance, and a wonderful experience to finally have this beer two blocks from my house.

fingolfin72, Aug 25, 2005

A week after the cap was popped in NC, chimay was flying off the shelves, like it was the actual blood of Christ or something. Chimaaay

appearance: nice golden color, thick bubbly white head that laces all the way through

smell: mild citrus aromas, spiciness present in the nose

taste: citrus, raisin, clove like spiciness. Its pretty tasty, probably not best tripel I've had but definately worth a taste.

mouthfeel: medium to full bodied, alcohol tingles the tongue

drinkability: pretty drinkable, I usually can kick back quite a few tripel's though

dirtylou, Aug 24, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Thus far, my least negative Chimay experience to date... this is a little unfair to Chimay but considering the couple that I had I was all ready prepared to be disappointed with this.
I was not.
Maybe it had to do with the fact that I drank this Chimay out of a Chimay goblet...
will have to experiment...
This had more impact, flavorwise than the other Chimays I've had. Pretty to look at and smelled lovely, with a taste alllmost to match the smell. The flavor still failed to match the first impression but it's still a good tripel.
There are many other tripels I'd choose before choosing this one, but it's a good brew.

ommegangpbr, Aug 23, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an undated 11.2oz into a chalice.

Raw honey with a one finger head of white. Decent retention with some lace left behind.

Malt, yeast and dry hops with a pinch of sugar and a suggestion of spices. The aromas are uninteresting and somewhat muted. I had the same experience with the nose on the blue label.

The flavors are more pronounced than the nose: Dry citrus upfront fades into slightly sweet malt and then it goes tart into a dry finish with some alcoholic pepper thrown in. The mouthfeel is good for the style, but the carbonation cuts in and sets the whole thing off balance.

Not enough going on too keep me interested. If I were drinking in this price range for a night, I would order something else. There are better belgian beers that are also cheaper, Trappist or not.

ypsifly, Aug 23, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

FIRST 6+% BEER I'VE HAD IN NORTH CAROLINA IN A PUB OR BREWERY!!! thanks to pop the cap and their efforts to do jus that.

this was the first big beer to arrive in greensboro, and i was there that evening to partake. m'couls irish pub was supposed to get maredsous 8. it was not shipped, so they received chimay white instead. the seller sent 6 of his personal chimay chalices along, and that's what i drank from, 8 1/2, rimmed in gold.
straight from the tap, a cloudy orange/yellow color, with minimal head, about 1/2 inch of cream that left pretty soon. expected more head, but could have been the bartender trying to give me a full glass.
smells of banana and spicy wheat arise, with a light lemon scent behind them.
the first few sips were not that amazing. possibly because i'm used to ale and bitter at this particular bar, possibly due to the alcohol content. anyway, a sweet prick of alcohol and citrus hits the tongue, with yeast all over the mouth, and a bit more alcohol in the back. this brew leaves a warm feeling in the mouth after it's gone, sweet in the middle and creamy.
nice carbonation, thickens in the mouth. this really smooths out as it warms (it was in a keg room/refridge with all the other beers).
a crisp, shary, dry, and beautiful beer.

i'm extremely glad the great beers are making their way to my state. more to come.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Aug 22, 2005
Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.