Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros

on tap @ Freakin Frog in Las Vegas, NV

A- cloudy, drak golden straw, 1" fluffy white, good retent

S- wet sugar, bready, toasted malts

T- toasted malts, wet grassy & earthy, nice balance, just subtle hints of alcohol, gum, some hints of fruit as brew warms

M- medium body, smooth, well carbonated

D- great flavor, nice balance, easy drinking for 8%, tasty, recommended. I see why chimay is so popular

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Lightly hazed apple juicy yellow color with a very fluffy whitish ivory head with fantastic retention.

Smell: A clean and light nose. Floral, mildly piney, and slightly cheesy (aged?) hops are quite noticeable from the outset, much more so than I expected. Spicy/fruity yeast presence lays low beneath a cover of sweetish, honeyed malts.

Taste: Light and sweet like a mild pilsener-pale ale blend, with very forward spicy-resinous hops and a dry, crisp finish. Not too complex but still very tasty; drinks more like a pale ale than a typical Tripel.

Mouthfeel: Cloud-like in its creaminess, light, dry, and snappy.

Drinkability: Light, robust, very drinkable, I would even say sessionable if this wasn't 8% alcohol. Neither too sweet nor too spicy; extremely well-balanced.

my least favorite of the 3 chimays but calling it the least of the 3 isn't an insult. Being the least of the 3 is the same as being the 3rd most talented in the Beatles, you're still better than everything else out there.

Not sure what to say about this that hasn't been said. I've had the bottle and the glass and prefer the glass on tap. Smooth tasting, lightest tasting of the three but stronger than red overall. It's just a damn good beer!

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

The color was clear and tan as it poured from the bottle and is orange-tan in the glass. There was plenty of carbonation and a fluffy white head. The smell was both fruity and bready with a lot of alcohol. The taste was quite complex with a fruity tartness up front, bready malt flavors, and very pleasant almost brown sugary aftertaste. The mouthfeel is clean and crisp. I usually find this style of beer not to be very drinkable--I can usually only handle (enjoy) about 8 oz (at the most). But this is very drinkable. This is by far my favorite beer within this style.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

FINALLY a Trappist on tap. A lighter amber-ish color with a nice white head retention. Smooth with a small dry end. I think I could drink this all day, it is mellow enough to go with whatever you are doing or eating. I just hop to see the other Chimays on tap soon, or even other Trappists.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

The Chimay White was kind of better than I had expected and it is also the last of the 3
Chimay beers (except the Doree) that I am aiming to taste. The Chimay White has been
sitting in my fridge for at least 3 weeks since I bought it and on the night of tasting,
I poured the contents from the bottle into my Chimay Chalice. The slightly dark golden ale
smells of aromatic floral hops with subtle yeasty and malty notes. It pours out with a
generous head (I sloshed it a little to create a larger head - I made a more perfect pour
this time) which dissipates fairly quickly leaving fair lacing. The beer tasted yeasty,
malty and more importantly with a neat blend of spices. The mouthfeel was close to full
bodied and the taste was very strong with subtle fruity tones; it is significantly better
than the Maredsous 6 Blond which I had tried the day before. The after taste was yeasty,
malty and spicy and the fruity tones were further pronounced and I thinK I can compare it
to fresh green grapes and peach. The after taste was also rather strong though it was not
as lasting as I may have desired. At 8 ABV the Chimay White is extremely smooth and boasts
of a very high drinkability but I do not reccomend quaffing a premium beer like this one.
All in all, a great beer from the great brewers and one of my favourite Belgian Blond Ales.
Do also note that the Chimay White is a Tripel and I believe I prefer this Tripel brew to
the Westmalle Tripel (although Westmalle's Dubbel is definitely better than Chimay's Red).
Having tried these 3 Chimays, it would be a short while before I revisit them (maybe) and
what I have to say is Chimay is utterly impressive and their red blue and white hybrids
are living witnesses tried and loved by many.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle. Cork dated as 11/06.

A: Poured with a huge head. 2 inches plus on the head. Eventually died down but still enough to cover the beer. Appearance is really nice. A deep golden color. Some haziness which tends to give a brownish hue towards the middle of the glass.

S: Complex aroma. Maybe a little bit too complex for me at this point. Distinct fruity character with bananas most noticable. A definite spiciness is there with maybe a small bit of grassy hops as the beer warms.

T: Spicy. Almost hot. Fruitiness up front, but the spiciness is what is most noticable. Alcohol character is not completely hidden and contributes to some of the spiciness. Finish is dry which lends a hand in concealing the alcohol content. As beer temperature rises, the warm, spicy alcohol taste seems to turn a little more towards a hoppy bitterness. Warmth definately helps this beer conceal some of its alocoholic content and bring out some more character.

M&D: Light bodied, at least light bodied for such a complex beer. Nice mouthfeel with a clean finish. Unforntunately, mouthfeel and drinkability balance out for this brew instead of building on one another. Despite the light body, this brew is not one that I'm going to be able to continue to drink after finishing the first. Obvisiously, this is not a session beer. It goes pretty much without saying that this one is a sipper.

A really good beer. The best tripel out there? That's not for me to say at this point. Should certainly be paired with some type of food, maybe take the bro's offerings to task, give the brew a little time to warm after the first taste, and it should go a long way towards pleasing.

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into a Chimay stemmed glass.

A- Poured a cloudy straw yellow, with a thick white head.

S- Yeasty and spicy, with a slight hop background.

T- Again, very spicy, fruity, with a decent dry finish.

M- Effervescent, but not overly done.

D- Not the best Tripel out there, but a classic none-the-less.

There is a lot of hype behind Chimay, and my only problem with that is that it drives the price up. There are plenty of other beers out there that are cheaper and taste better, IMHO.

That said, this is a decent, reliable, tripel. Chimay was one of my gateway beers, and while I have had many beers since, I still find myself buying a bottle once every month or so.

Poured from a 750ml into my Chimay chalice.

Appearance - Chimay always looks good once in a glass, no matter what color label you like. It has a 1 1/2 finger head, that dissipates into a thin foam. Bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass from start to finish. It is transparent golden honey in color.

Smell - Mostly yeast and apples, with alcohol and hop notes.

Taste - I taste more hops in this brew than most other tripels. It has a slightly sweet front and a bitter end. Chimay succeeds with the level of hops - others such as Tripel Abdijbier Dendermonde definitely don't do it as well IMHO.

Mouthfeel - Nearly perfect level of carbonation for my taste. Very effervescent.

Drinkability - Great. Goes down smooth. I could easy drink a 750ml by myself.

If you haven't tried Chimay, you should. Use your own judgement to see if it lives up to the hype. This is a very good reliable brew. This is my favorite Chimay, but that is due to tripels being my favorite style of brew.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

A - The beer pours a rich golden color. The head is thick but not beyond a finger deep. The beer has lots of bubbles floating to the top. The lacing is very sticky.

S - I get a lot of malt and herbal tones. I get a citric smell as well. To me, it's very easy to distinguish the various aromas.

T - Wow! This is truly a balanced beer. You get different flavors as the beer goes down. The malt that comes across well in the smell is even more pronounced in the taste. Decomposing the taste almost seems trivial; this is a magnificent tripel.

M - The beer is creamy and effervescent. I'd say the body is medium and the carbonation comes across well. The beer coats my mouth well without coming across too viscous.

D - I think this beer is very easy to pair. You could have a mediocre meal and this beer would certainly improve your lot. Although not the best tripel, it's certainly the easiest to drink without worrying about pairing.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

ST: 11.3 oz bottle

A: Dark caramel color, large head that settles down to a small lace along the sides of the glass.

S: Sweet, spices, light, clean.

T: Slightly sweet at first, then bitters up in the middle, finishes dry and bitter on the back of the mouth.

M: Smooth, clean, with a easy mouthful.

D: Not as good as the Red or even close to the Blue, but still a good brew from a great brewer.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into the appropriate Chimay chalice.

A: There was a lot of unsettled yeast in the bottle before the pour. The beer is a deep golden honey color. A thick and creamy white head formed on top due to the very active carbonation.

S: Smells clean and crisp with some light citrus and spices.

T: Some mild hop bitterness up front. Just ever so slightly sweet, a very nice level of sweetness in my opinion. Slightly tangy comes through in the flavor of light citrus rind along with some faint spices. The alcohol is there but not at all overwhelming. It finishes crisp and dry. Very refreshing yet with very complex flavors.

M: Nice mouthfeel, it goes down smooth with a high level of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable: nice flavors to go along with a smooth beer with good complexity. A very good triple.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2 oz stubby bottle poured into a Grimbergen chalice. Tall one inch fluffy head that had serious legs. I had to set the glass down half way through for about 15 minutes. When I came back there was still a solid cap covering the surface. Color is a hazy golden orange with a solid amount of sediment.
Smell has a light and fruity aroma of pears and apples, but not overly sweet. More of a tartness. Taste has that same sweet/tart flavor.
Mouthfeel is light and dry. Very crisp and refreshing. I don't really notice the alcohol. Very nice indeed.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Glassware used: Duvel Tulip Glass

Appearance: It is a golden colored when poured. It isn't as clear as other tripels I've had though. (all three) The head does not seem to last as long as the other styles either.

Smell: A rather strong smell of yeast.

Taste: This is pretty bitter in my view for the style, not that it is a bad thing. Compared to other tripels you can taste the hops more and the spices less.

Mouthfeel: This is one area where I thought this beer was better than most other belgians, the carbonation is less intense it seems and the bubbles are smaller in size, something I prefer.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, though not the best Tripel or Chimay I've had. You'll enjoy this beer I just have a few in the same price range that I like better.

I'd recommend the Grand Reserve (Blue Chimay) over this one.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Popped open and poured into a Duvel tulip to celebrate my last day as an undergraduate.

Appearance: Amber, almost orange in color. Big, rocky, white head with great retention. Some lacing. Fairly clear.

Smell: Belgian yeast (but not as intense as others...), spice, a certain "bite" to it that suggests bitterness. Some fruit.

Taste: More bitter than I was expecting, but perhaps simply because there's not a whole lot of flavor to compete with that here. Some yeast flavors (fruitiness) but not much. Very dry, reminiscent almost of Orval in that respect. Aftertaste somewhat astringent. You can just taste the alcohol, not surprised at the 8% but it's not overwhelming either. I do like the dryness, at least.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation perhaps a little on the high side. Light-medium body.

Drinkability: Disappointing after the rest of the Chimays, but I have high standards for this style and this one didn't fit my expectations - perhaps I'm not giving it a fair shake. In any case, nothing can disappoint me today: I'm done!

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured in a cloudy, honeyyellow colour and with a good, creamy head. The smell was basically of bread, yeast and sugar. The taste was bitter, not too sweet with notes of bread, yeast and alcohol. I have to say I was a bit disappointed since it did not really measure up to most of the trappists I have tasted. Nevertheless it's a good brew.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

pours a cloudy, hazy opaque color with insane amount of carbonation, the cork nearly killed me. a frothy white head is large and not going anywhere. Smell of yeast and fruit are clearly evident, a hop note is also prevalent. Before i drink it you can see the sediment start to settle on the bottom of the glass, but still tons of carbonation. tastes good, but not great, not 10 dollars a bottle good either, floral notes are in the beer, with a warm alcohol presence, unfortunately it tastes a bit more watery than it should. at 8% i could still down a few of these so the drinkability is high, even though its higher than average ABV. its a good beer, i heard GREAT things from it, if it were cheaper i'd probably be a bigger fan but 10 bucks for 25.4 onces is kinda high. But maybe i'm just a cheapskate..

3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a hazy amber with a very large white head. Good lacing and retention. The aroma is of yeast and some spice, also apples. The taste is yeasty, peppery and ends with hoppy bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit acidic making the overall taste not very appealing to me. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and quite carbonated. Drinkability is not great due to the aftertaste. Overall, my least favorite Chimay.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours from the bottle to a hazy orange-red color with medium off-hite head that lingers a while and leaves okay lacing. Pleasant aroma was a mixtrue of hoppy fruits..apples and apricots, some yeat, and a hint of clove. Flavor was much of the same, with a little more emphasis on the fruit and spiciness, almost like a wheat. Mouthfeel was tingly and spicy, and the finish was long and smooth. Even with 8%, the alcohol never really made itself known, but added to the mix nicely.

A very pleasant beer.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured an 11.2 oz. into a chimay chalice. The first from a "Chimay Sampler". Starts out with a nice thick head that lingered throughout. It's appearance was quite dense, a very good quality. I picked up lots of fruit coupled with hoppiness in the smell, definitely enticing. I believe I enjoyed the smell a little more than the taste it presented. The alchohol definitely makes itself known behind the increasing hops toward the end as it warms. Overall, the monks at Chimay produce a quality tripel, one that I will definitely enjoy again. But with two more chimay's to go and the talk I've heard, the bar is rising.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

Ahhh. I just finished a bottle of the Chimay Cinq Cents, or white as i call it. Wow i really love this beer, In the recent weeks ive had the pleasure of tasting some pretty amazing beers(Duvel, LaFinDuMonde, Bink tripel and the Corsendonk brown and blond to name a few), I must say that the Chimay is still my favorite. I poured it into a Large Clear glass, it had decent lace and 1.5 finger head. I could detect apples and bit of burnt wood flavor, After about 3 quarters of the way through my head got warm i and could feel the alcohol. Overall i love the whole experience and taste of the Chimay White, Where else can you get beer brewed by Monks?

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a slight amber with generous foam with good retention and lacing. A lot of carbonation. Subtle fruits and sugar permeate the aroma and flavor. The mouthfeel is much more bready than some tripels. The finish brings good balance without being overpowering. You can also taste the alcohol, but it's subtle and not surprising at 8%.

It's a little more light than I've seen in other tripels. I prefer the stronger flavors of a Westmalle, but this would be more ideal in the right weather or with the right food.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

I had the pleasure of pouring this beer into my newly acquired Chimay goblet. It was sparkling golden with a thick head – nice lacing. The aroma was sour and there were hints of fruitiness. The taste was also sour and fruity. It is nicely balanced and makes this seem like a more delicate beer than other Chimays I’ve had. The mouthfeel is full but not heavy by any means. I find this particular beer quite drinkable and would be refreshing on a hot day.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a nonic pint glass from the little 11.2 ounce bottle. Wish I could have enjoyed properly from a chalice.

Appearance- Pours a nice golden honey yellow. Very hazy and full of yeasty goodness. Big fluffy alabaster head that slowly recedes to a thin layer that covers the entire top. Medium lacing that is thicker than most I’ve seen.
Smell- Very familiar Belgium yeast aroma. A nice spicyness comes through with a slight fruit backbone. Reminiscent of sour green apples.
Taste- A very nice yeasty kick from the start. Lots of clove like flavors with hints of a almost peppery spice. A nice bitter hop rush coats the tongue finishing with sour fruit dryness. The alcohol is definitely evident in the finish.
Mouthfeel- LOTS of carbonation. Not a bad thing though. It lends nicely to overall enjoyment of the beer. Gentle alcohol warming is evident in the dry finish.
Drinkability- This is a very tasty tripel. Easily enjoyable in moderation as the ABV will keep you line. Very Niiicccee!!

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Popped the cork on this one to find it was bottled in November 2004.

Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. Cloudy, rich golden color with a quickly dissipating head that leaves minor lacing. There is also some tremendous carbonation working here. The smell is crisp and spicy with a slight note of clove. Taste is very balance - clove, sour apple, and little bit of floral character as well. Mouthfeel is intense due to the carbonation, which adds to the crispness. Being that I drank a 25.4 oz bottle myself & would do another if possible is a testament to this brew's drinkability. Highly recommended.

Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.