Chimay Tripel (White) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Tripel (White)Chimay Tripel (White)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Labeled Chimay Cinq Cents in 750ml bottle.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Tripel (White) Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Short stubby 12 oz bottle. Initial smell of pure wet dog. Pour produced a gigantic foamy white head atop a cloudy deep golden to light copper color. Dense and thick, the head lasted for-ever. Falling in clumps down the glass. Harsh rotten wet dog smells mellow into metal, grainy and rotten oranges combinations. Taste was grainy, slightly citrus like flavors. Alcohol and faded yeasty combinations mellow. Overall a slightly hot, harsh grainy taste. Some sweet malted flavors come back and forth. Medium bodied, hard to have more than a sip at time. I have heard the bigger bottles with the cork and cage taste better, I might try it in those bottles, but this was such a dissapointment it will be hard to pull the trigger on the big bottle. No where close to the Heavyweight Lunacy I had earlier this evening.

StevieW, Feb 19, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

It was Valentine’s Day, the day for all lovers to show their true feelings. My wife was having her favorite wine with dinner. I was having dinner with my mistress…a good beer. I chose a bottle of Chimay White for my evening, I had enjoyed the Chimay Red and wanted to try something different but something I was reasonably sure would be good.

After opening the bottle, which is pretty fun actually (uncorking a bottle of beer is something you don’t do everyday in the states), I poured the nectar into my glass. It poured a cloudy light amber, bordering on orange. The head was ample, but descended in a short couple of minutes.

For a beer with an 8% alcohol content, I was surprised that the aroma was so subdued. I was also struck by a subtle citrus smell.

At first taste, I noticed a sweet, fruity flavor that was as subtle as the aroma. The aftertaste was short-lasting. There really is no overpowering flavor here, a combination of fruit, malt and a creamy spiciness that made for a very satisfying mouthfeel.

This is a very good beer. I imagine it would be excellent either at the dinner table or the bar. It is one of the most satisfying ales I have ever had, because of its subtle combination of flavors and its smooth drinkability.

kindestcut, Feb 16, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Hazy dark brownish-orange pour with fine bubbles cutting through considerable yeast sediment. Topped with a monstrous bubbly head that lasts several minutes with good lacing. Clean, mildly fruity smell understates the amazing taste of this beer. Remarkably smooth despite the persistent effervescence. Crisp and bitter at the start, with alcohol gaining strength by the end. Some fruity notes peek through as the carbonation abates. Clean, crisp mouthfeel and strong drinkability, though this one is to be deconstructed and savored slowly.

BitteBier, Feb 09, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -9%

The least known of the three Chimay brews. This one,when poured into a Chimay chalice perfectly fills the glass with a cloudy,strawberry/peach colored ale with a huge,pillowy-dense head that spends some time with you ( long enough to have a conversation with if you're alone). The aroma and taste are very hard to pin down. You can smell this beer from quite a distance.It seems to be yeasty,fruity, and little floral. The taste starts with a little malt sweetness,a flowery hop flavor, and nice bitter finish, but as it warms,the fizzines of the carbonation subsides to give you a more creamy, toasted malt flavor with a long nice earthy bitterness in the finish. I would recommend taking your time and letting the flavors evolve with this beer to fully appreciate it.

jeffboo, Feb 04, 2003
3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

330ml bottle
Ingredients: Barley malt, hops, yeast.
Opaque amber and peach. Rich sugary nose. Super fine long lasting head. Surprising bitterness. Strangly dry, spicy, musty and sour. All earth and malt flavor and no fruit. The alcohol is unrestrained.

Naerhu, Jan 26, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Chimay White cap: Very nice, poured into one of those nice chalices I got around Christmas. I bought it in one of those stubby bottles that is about 12 ounces. Brownish Trappist ale, and a damn tasty one as well. Huge thick off white head, that lasted and lasted and left a thick coating of lace down the side. Relatively mild aroma with hints of bananas and cloves. Very nice taste, not at all overwhelming though. I was struck by the sweet malts, with an understated taste of yeast. I found this remarkably easy to drink, but at 8% alcohol it is by no means a session beer.

jackndan, Jan 15, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -24%

My least favorite Chimay! I'm glad I opted for the smaller bottle of this one. Pours a light gold color with a thick white head. Nice effervescence and minimal lacing. Aroma was actually skunked a little which surprised me. Some spices were also evident but it was ruined by the skunk factor. The flavor was a peppery and yeasty and light. I will try this again sometime and hopefully have a better experience, but at $4 for the small bottle it won't be any time soon.

Dogbrick, Jan 15, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

This tripel pours a light golden, apple juice-like color. It's big, rocky head collapses on itself fairly quickly. The aroma is spicy, pepperminty, yet sweet and fruity, as well.

The flavor starts with tart green apple, pineapple, and hints of citrus. Very dry and almost like a hard cider, at times. It rounds out very spicy and peppery, particularly as the alcohol warms up as the beer is imbibed. In fact, if I have to fault this beer, I'd say that the alcohol is a bit too drying and solvent-like. It could be a little better balanced, especially when compared to the other great Chimay beers. But nonetheless, its still a quality beer and better than many tripels out there.

DerKaiser, Jan 14, 2003

Presentation: 33CL stubby bottle from BELGIUM

This beer poured a nice golden colour with a huge, frothy, creamy white head. This had many wonderful aromas. Some of the aromas that I could pick up were spices, cloves, malts, hops, and sugar. This tasted like a good triple should, and it had a very creamy and full mouthfeel. This is a very complex brew which has many similarities to Chimays other staple brews(the red and blue labels.)This belgian triple has a high drinkability factor and it is highly recommended by me. **Try it on tap for an even hoppier, spicier, fresh tasting version of this Belgian Trappist Classic!**
cheers!
F

francisweizen, Jan 12, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Cinq Cents poured a hazy orange-amber with a volcanic frothy white head. Not as much lacing as I would have expected. The aroma is lightly floral with notes of spice and alcohol. The aroma is also less prominent than I would have expected. The taste starts with plenty of effervesence and malt chewiness and then moves toward an acidic hoppy yeastiness (is that a word?). No one flavor or flavors are dominant while in your mouth. It is a constant blend of profiles and sensations. Hot cold, sweet sour, floral spicy, and malty with prickly carbonation. The finish developes a dry fruitiness in your mouth that bring forth flavors of pear, apple, and star fruit with hints of alcohol. The after taste is a blend of coriander, malt, pepper, and hints of alcohol and citrus. The mouthfeel is a turbulent adventure that will utilize every taste receptor in your mouth.
Overall Cinq Cents is a great triple but IMHO it could use more aroma and a longer lasting head; something a Chimay yeast can easily handle. The highlight to this beer is the complex blending of flavors and the tactile way it plays on your palate.

purplehops, Jan 10, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Chimay...mmmmmmm!

Bright golden color with a massive white, frothy head. The appearance is very Duvel-esque. The Cinq Cents has a very assertive aroma, especially at uncorking. The aroma is quite estery with a touch of hops. Starts with a malt sweetness but quickly followed by a very tart, spicy, peppery, and citrus flavor. Actually, pouring some of the yeast from the bottle into the glass to drink positively adds to the flavor. The yeast adds some thickness and balances the peppery qualities. Lively carbonation and a dry mouthfeel round out the experience.

A great beer, and, without doubt, a very formidable Belgian. However (in my HUMBLE opinion), Cinq Cents is not quite on par with the Grande Reserve, but a close third to the Premiere. As for Belgian Tripels, give me a Westmalle.

philipt, Jan 10, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured an orangish gold, slightly cloudy, with a huge frothy off-white head that won't quit. It's going to be a while before I can even touch this one. Thick lace left when head finally subsides. Aromas of yeast, grapefruit, lemon zest, & coriander. Creamy and highly carbonated--very nice. Malty with a hop bite of grapefruit. The grapefruit character is almost to much for my taste. I enjoyed the blue much better.

cretemixer, Jan 08, 2003

Poured a cloudy orange color. Good head, nice and white. Tasted supurd, not over fruity, just right. I enjoyed this beverage immensely. Just wish I had purchased more than one bottle. The ABV was barely noticeable, no alcohol taste lingering, although the effect was.

bewareOFpenguin, Jan 07, 2003
4.08/5  rDev -1%

This is the second Chimay beer that I have head. I also have the Blue that I am saving for my 100 review. Pours a cloudy orange-yellowish color with that big Chimay head. The smell is spicy, with a hints of yeast and banana. The first thing that I notice is how effervesent this beer is on the tongue and in the mouth. Very dry in the beginning and alcohol takes over towards the end. More spices and a bit peppery. It has been awhile and the head is still going strong. The aftertaste is mild with more alcohol and a big warming feeling.

I have to say that I am not as impressed with this beer as I was the Red. The Red seemed more comlex and not nearly as dry. Still, it is very good and I can't wait for the Blue.

CharlesRiver, Dec 23, 2002
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a true Trappist style white. Excellent flavor - organic earth nose. The yeast is one of the strongest smells. A thick head that settles in about 2 minutes. There is a uniqueness to the taste - something is hiding in there that I can not quite place. Jumps out on the second half of the swallow. Some type of spice perhaps. Very unique. I recommend this one highly - though it is more for the matured palate. A newbie will most likely hate this beer. I would have to say that if you try this beer and don't like it - wait for some time - experiment with a lot more flavors and styles of beer. Then come back and try it again.

A few tips for this one - a bell glass or a snifter style glass is best to appreciate this one. Do not serve it to cold either. That takes away from the full flavor of this brew. Don't just run out and buy this one, run home and pop it open. let is set for about 24 hours - otherwise the odor from yeast will overpower the bouquet. If you are planning on trying different styles of beers at the same time - either cleanse your palate with some water or drink this one 1st. Other more hoppy beers or ones that are just stronger in flavor will overwhelm this one. The flavors here are very subtle and need to be fully appreciated. Kick back and relax.

AtrumAnimus, Dec 18, 2002
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Cork Date = 07/02.
In its “grown up” bottle, Chimay Blanche (White) is called Cinq Cents, yet it cost me $5.99. Well presented in the 75cl bottle, I do profess to dearly missing the ‘old style’ Chimay labels, that had the larger ‘Peres Trappistes’ Fleur-De-Leys. Oh well, that’s progress I suppose.
Once the cage was removed, the cork almost removed itself, such was the minimal effort required. A fine Cork ‘Pop’ echoed around my Apartment, no gushing but a fine looking whitey-grey-blue gun-smoke audibly announced the exposure of the beer to atmospheric pressure.
The beer poured with an extremely well-aerated, highly carbonated white frothy head that looked magnificent. The bubbles are visible to the naked eye, and they sit stacked one on top of another forever. The beer was opened whilst still chilled, indeed I opened and served the beer at 50 F, well towards the lower end of the suggested scale but I prefer it that way. A lovely deep, turbid peachy amber color that nevertheless has a very clean looking haze, that is to say that it had no ‘floaties’ in it. The head settles slowly to a solid 3/4” thick white smooth creamy looking finish. Aromas are quite fresh and strong, it smells like a cross between a strong Blond and a Wheat beer. Spicy, hints of Orange Rind, Lemon Zest, Coriandor and Wheat itself. Introduction is of wheat, that gives way to a sweet malt middle and a spicy finish. For an 8% ABV beer, it drinks well, if anything it lacks a bit of mouthfeel to back up its heavyweight credentials. Chimay White, was never a favorite of mine, and it is probably the least popular of the 3 Brothers, but this is still a Very Good Beer though in my opinion. I would leave it here, but a strange thing happened to me recently….
….for I drank this beer on draft, for the first time ever only 2 weeks before this review, at the Al’Imaige de Nostre Dame in Brussels - and it blew my Bloody Socks Off. Awesome!! But as most people will only drink this beer from the Bottle, so my Review favors this method of dispense, Sadly! On Draft, it would be a definite 4.5 out of 5, no doubts.

Recommended from the Bottle.

But, "Highly" Recommended , and at it’s very best, on Draft though.
– believe me, there is a World of difference!!!

TheLongBeachBum, Dec 13, 2002
3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Dull, cloudy orange-tan with a large fluffy, creamy, goin' nowhere head. There are orange peel and coriander notes making this reminiscent of a wit (but probably coming from the yeast). In the flavor there is subdued spiciness and a small, thin bitter aftertaste. Light and airy feel and a bit creamy.

aracauna, Dec 03, 2002
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a deep golden colour topped by a beautiful creamy white head that settles down rather easily. The aroma consists of hops. The aroma of this beer is actually sweet and it took me 5 minuts to take the first sip. I simply enjoyed the appearance and the smell of it. The taste is quite bitter. Mouthfeel is strong. Fine brew, tripel style, from Belgium

ipogios, Nov 30, 2002
3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

On tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia. I really wanted more from this beer. Hazy peach colored, with a thick, fluffy white head. Looks good enough. Smell is yeasty, a bit spicy, but there's a thick, almost gummy-sticky-sweet aspect to the smell. Not nearly as appetizing as I had hoped, being a fan of Chimay. Taste is a mixture of Belgian fruitiness, spicy alcohol, and bready yeastiness. But there's a thickness to it, cotton-candy like, that I just don't find all that appealing. And that makes me sad.

mophie, Nov 27, 2002

This beer poured a dark gold color and formed a bubbly white head that left trace lace when it subsided. An aroma of malt, citrus and lightly of caramel. The flavor was of malt and caramel and the finish was quite dry. Not my favorite of the Chimays, but still a very good beer.

Wildman, Nov 22, 2002

The beer pours a pellucid amber color with the head large-scale and semi-creamy in texture, the resultant lace forms a fine satin sheet to lie upon the glass and conceal it from view. Nose is malt, hints of citrus and lightly sweet, and quite pleasant, start is malt laden and somewhat sweet with the top squinny. Finish is medial in carbonation, the hops pronounced, and the aftertaste bone dry. Of the three “Chimay’s”, this is my least favorite, great in its own right, just not my personal favorite, but well worth a sample if you have not tried it.

Gusler, Nov 22, 2002
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Orange-hued haze with a huge white foam on top. Head retains exceptionally, as with the other Chimay beers, thanks to their great glass! Yeasty aroma with fruity esters and just a little pepper and citrus. Maybe some clove as well. Very complex, yet subtle. Spicy and almost rind-like bitterness hits the front of the tongue first with pepper in tow. The hops are very apparent in this one, which is kind of unusual for Belgian beers in my experience. A bit of yeast in the middle. Fruity as well, a bit like grapefruit. Grain-like maltiness is present underneath all of this at all times, but it's a different kind of grainy than with most beers that have this characteristic. Combines uniquely with the hops. Complexities are hard to pick out, the nose suggested more than are present. Smooth and creamy yet sharp and tingly mouthfeel. Although I find the hops a little out of place, this is a great tripel and a great beer overall. Not the most drinkable, but still above average in that department. Cheers to the Abbaye de Scourmont for another great effort!

hyuga, Nov 21, 2002
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy orange straw color with a thick rocky white head. Nose is a combination of fresh hops and yeast with hints of citrus. In the mouth, it is quite sharp and crisp with a small amount of bite from the 8% alcohol. The flavor is a champagne-like sweetness and bitterness with a touch of spice, and the aftertaste is a pleasant bitterness on the tongue. Overall, a nice beer, but probably my least favorite Chimay. And, the price is a bit steep at $6.99 for a 750ml.

Morris729, Nov 16, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +8%

This pours with a gorgeous fluffy white head that sticks to the glass, leaving excellent lacing. Nice deep gold liquid. The nose is wonderfully aromatic, with lots of hops and some sweetness too. The taste is effervescent, sharp and quite bitter, with fruity yeast esters showing up as well. Finishes with a super long hoppy dryness. I notice a difference in the 11.2 oz. bottle I drank, compared to the corked 750ml. version. I like the smaller version better, a wonderful hoppy Tripel.

beerluvr, Nov 04, 2002
3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

I am trying to broaden my beer horizons. Belgians are my new frontier for the next 1-2 years or until I feel I am worthy of their quality.

This poured a peach color...I expected more of a nose...really not much there except some faint alcohol...

Smooth and creamy in the mouth...flavor is subdued as well...I get a bit of the alcohol bite but not bad...almost a black pepper and spices type flavor at first...definitely a spicy flavor, with not a whole lot more emerging to me..as I continue to drink this it is clearly a peppery dominated flavor with alcohol notes the next in line.

I'm not rating this as high as I'm sure others have and it may be due to my uneducated Belgian style buds...or maybe this isn't really that good...I've got the Blue bottle left to try..

Not bad, but if this as good as the Tripels get I need to aquire a taste for them still then..

ZAP, Oct 24, 2002
Chimay Tripel (White) from Bières de Chimay S.A.