Follow our progress ...

Dorée | Bières de Chimay S.A.

YOUR RATING = None |

DoréeDorée

Bières de Chimay S.A.
Belgium | website

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

The menu at the abbey's cafe (Auberge de Poteaupré) lists this beer as "Speciale De Poteaupré."

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-28-2002

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 120 | Ratings: 351
3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

2007 vintage. On my quest to drink all the Trappist ales know to man, I had to slay the rare Chimay. I did drink this out of my Chimay goblet but I regret not taking a photo of the goblet with the bottle and not serving this beer with Chimay cheese or with other bottles of Chimay.

So, the beer is yellow, light, thin white head of small bubbles, some carbonation, some retention, some lacing, not a lot of anything but looks like beer.

The aroma is sweet like candy is sweet, malty and yeasty. Subtle but present.

Beer is thin, thinner than expected and I expected a thin beer. It's sweet and bready on the palate. Mildly carbonated overall but still quite good. The finish is nice, I would call this a Belgian session ale.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for opening this bottle. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

Pours yields a hazy straw-colored liquid with a pretty good white head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. The nose is nice but doesnt offer all that much. Quite a bit of bready yeast and not too much else. The taste is also quite full of baking bread as well as a bit of mild fruit. Mouthfeel is the highlight here for me with a really nice body and good carbonation. Nearly perfect for a table beer. Drinkability is good, not breast. Thanks again to Eric for helping me finish off the Chimay collection of beers. Considering that I bought all the others at a local shop, I really owe Eric yet again.

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

Was not aware of this beer until I stopped at the Auberge de Poteaupré (restaurant down the street from the Abbey) and had it on tap as part of their Chimay sampler. They do not call it Dorée they call it "Spéciale Poteaupré"

Light blond color with very little lace. Citrus flavor and light in the mouth. Malty with a dry bitter aftertaste. Goes down easy but I expected more from a Chimay. Prefer the big three Chimays, but not a bad beer if you are feeling adventurous and in the neighborhood.

2.04/5  rDev -47.2%

This beer is not very good. Not very good at all. Pour is decent enough, a bit more pale than expected with an enormous head. Aroma is malt, spices, and dead hops. Taste is about the same, but a bit off. Body is too thin, and very heavily carbonated. Didn't finish it and would never drink it again. If I were the monks I would brew something a bit more tasty for my lunch.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a murky golden yellow with a finger of head and tons of effervescent carbonation.

Aroma is heavy yeast and bready malts, a bit more bold than I was expecting based on the style and the ABV. That is a good thing. Light spices can be noticed in the background.

The flavor is a bit more mild than the nose, mostly just yeast and some muted hoppiness. It is definitely on par with what the style usually has to offer....a nice, refreshing brew to drink with a meal.

Mouthfeel is medium with not as much carbonation sting as I expected. Drinkability is high in terms of volume...like I said this would be a great beer to drink with a meal. But it really doesn't have anything going for it that wows me.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium honey murky gold with a decent amount of carbonation. A big white head bubbles about a couple fingers but fades quickly to a little soap on the sides. The lacing is ok.

The aroma is light mostly hops and light flowers.

The taste is great, I wasn't expecting much but its light but has tons of flavor and totally drinkable. This is by favorite belgian pale ale by far. There is some nice sweetness, light hops, and a great floral finish.

The feel is nice, totally drinkable.

My favorite belgian pale ale, my favorite Chimay. What else can you say?

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at L'Auberge de Poteaupre near the abbey, or at least I think I did. On the menu there it is called "Chimay Special Poteaupre" and from what I understand it is the same thing. So please forgive me if I am reviewing the wrong beer but from what I know there are only the big 3 and the monks brew (Doree) which is what is at the cafe near the abbey.

This beer pours a pale yellow color with a small white head. Very thin lace throughout.

Citrusy smell like triple but other than that, nothing that stood out.

Clean light beer. Lemony flavor. Slight malts but very easy on the tongue and easy to put down.

Thin with moderate carbonation.

Easy drinking light flavored Chimay. If the monks drink this every day than I say lucky monks. This is a very decent, solid brew. Other Chimay's are better though. I ordered this first than a blue and when I finally ordered the blue the waitress looked at me, smiled and nodded as if saying "Yes, you made the right choice".

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

Finally, after many months I managed to get my hands on some bottles of this extremely rare trappist beer! I decided to drink it with my beerbuddy PapaEugene during one of our beer tasting evenings. Right after dinner (PapaEugene cooked an incredible dish with meat prepared in Aventinus beer,both smell and taste: 5) we opened the bottle.... Poured into a Rochefort glass. The beer pours a very nice, hazy yellow-brown color with a very small head that rapidly changed into a nice, balanced lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly strong for such a low ABV beer; Floral and fruity hops, some sweet fruits (peach) and strong clover honey.

Taste: The taste itself is quite short. Again honey, some yeast (grass, reminds me of weizenbeers), hint of nuts (almonds), soft-sour fruits (apple), floral hops and some notes of spicy herbs. The aftertaste is very dry, with bitter-sweet honey taste.

Mouthfeel: Just after opening, high carbonation that tingles the tongue. Minutes later however, medium-low carbonation, indicating a very high oxidation. The beer is light-bodied and very soft.

Overall: Wow, again a great table-beer of the monks. I was a bit skeptical on forehand, because of the mixed reviews here, but personally, I think this one can match the Westmalle extra. I could drink this one the whole evening. It is amazing how the monks can brew such an interesting beer, with so many different flavours, and still such a low ABV. Only possible in Belgium. I agree with TurdFurgison that this beer is a must-try for fans of Trappist beers. Although I realize that most people will not be able to drink it because of the rarity of the beer....We can only hope the monks will start distributing this one commercially!

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%

The first beer of the second beer tasting evening with rvdoorn and, yes, he managed again to get his hands on a unique beer which is "not for sale".

A: Poured it into my Urthel glass. A hazy dark yellow color with a white tiny head.

S: Floral hops, clover honey and some notes of peach.

T: Honey, toffee, roasted almonds, apple and some tobacco/herbal aspects.

M: Light but impressive body. Low carbonation. Oxidation is rather fast once poured into the glass.

D: WOW, again a beer (after the westmalle extra) that is brewed by the monks for self consumption and it makes me jeaulous. A light brew with an impressive rich taste/smell.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks Turdfurgison for this one. Small capped bottle, best before end of 2008, poured into a Chimay goblet.

Nice looking, light golden color with a foamy white head that keeps being replenished by the continuous ascension of bubbles produced around the etched glass area; not profuse like a Duvel but quite nice. The head holds well, and leaves nice lacing on its way down. At the end of the glass I added the yeast for an experiment, which clouded the otherwise clear beer and darkened it significantly.
Light bodied, very easy to drink, it has a good amount of flavor, but perhaps given the extreme cold today feels a bit watered down.
yeasty flavors are noticeable, a mild hoppy bite and earthiness, cookie like flavors as well as a slight malty sweetness. All very delicate and balanced.
A very nice session beer, that is, if you can get more than one.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

I brought back 2 bottles of this (2008) from Belgium last month, and am now celebrating with a Chimay night (Doree, then Red, then Blue). This beer was very light colored, light yellow straw, until I poured the yeast in from the bottom of the bottle. That darkened things up a lot, and now the beer is murky dark yellow color. The foam was about 1-2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin but lasting film. The smell is a little yeasty-estery, maybe a little lemon also. The taste is nice, actually very flavorful for a 4.8% beer. Light yeast flavors are dominant, very easy drinking and tasty. The body is pretty watery but not unexpectedly so given the low ABV. A must-try for fans of Trappist beers, as this is supposedly the only beer in the Chimay line-up enjoyed regularly by the monks of Scourmont.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle labeled best before 2007.

Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a larger sized white head. Aromas of yeast and light spices. I swear the aroma reminded of fresh out of the pot prosciutto filled tortellini. Tastes of yeast with some lemons. Thinner and watery body.

Notes from 10/28/05

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a very cloudy golden orange with a thick white head that reduces to a one-finger sheet.

Smells of malt primarily with some esters of lemon or other citrus. The taste is much the same, though the fruit isn't as prominent. Hints of honey near the end.

Mouthfeel is quite nice, with good thickness and carbonation. Overall, a very drinkable beer that would be great for sessioning.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

Deep orange. Turbid and hazy appearance. One finger of white foam, average.
At the smell orange flowers, fresh. Delicate and pleasant.
The taste is full, with again strong notes of orange and orange flowers. On a pleasant malty background.
Same notes in the aftertaste, average body.
Good.

3.82/5  rDev -1%

Had this at the cafe associated with the abbey. Going from memory here. Appearance was a reddish brown, not quite the head density of the other offerings. Smell was the characteristic Chimay yeast, with its various fruits and spices vying for your attention. Taste? I'd like it more if I hadn't had the others. Like the other Trappist daily drinkers, it comes off a bit watered down compared to its breatheren. The hops is a bit more pronounced, though, which is an interesting addition to the mix. Mouthfeel follows suit, a bit watery but maybe only because the flavor tells the brain that that trademark Chimay silkiness is coming at it just doesn't quite. Drinkability is OK but nothing to write home about. In short, definitely something to try for the novelty but I wouldn't travel to Belgium just to get some.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated 2007. My cousin shared this bottle with my bro, my wife and I last night. The beer poured a nice bright golden color with a nice white fizzy head. The aroma of the beer was a nice spicy blend with a hoppy nose. The taste was nicely carbonated which I enjoy and it also had a nice malty/hoppy balance. The beer does run off the tongue very quickly after tasting so it doesn't have hte full body that the other Chimay beer do. Still a nice refreshing beer and nice to try something rare.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

11.2 oz. stubby bottle. Sampled this with a couple of beer-loving friends last night away from the computer, so this review is not as thorough as I usually like to do.

Appearance: A hazy, pale yellow with a stark white head. The beer had dopped clear in the bottle, but transporting it to another house stirred it up.

Smell: A very light aroma. Hints of malt backed up a stronger hops aroma. The weakness of the nose definitely hurt the overall rating of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, crisp, and dry.

Taste: A light malt body and hints of apples and grapes started things out. Then very quickly, this beer dried out and finished with a clean, refreshing hops bitterness. This thing was very dry and refreshing and left me wanting more.

This was a fine beer that I would love to have again. It was like a tamed down Cinq Cents. I believe that this is the single that is produced mainly for the brothers at the abby. Therefore, my buddies dubbed it "Monk Juice."

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Best before end 2006. Poors in ok with nice white head and apricotcolored beer with quiet some particles floating in it. Nose is yeastestery with mostly apricot and apples. Further malty and smooth. Taste is of the same smoothness being quiet empty. Litle maltyness( with amber notes), sober and dry beer thats good for a beer with lunch as the monks do( at least thats told, as they say its their "refeter beer").
Ejoyable with that lunch( like i did today) but not as suited to drink at night.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle: Poured a hazy golden beer with a huge head with just above standard retention. Aroma is comprised of quite strong malt with some spice mix. Taste is quite refreshing with again the malt hitting you at first and ending with some noticeable spice mix. The body is thinner then the other Chimay but the carbonation is great. Overall, this is a very refreshing beer but not up to the standard of the other Chimay.

2.26/5  rDev -41.5%

Tasted at 2003 Kempisch Bierfestival in Geel, Belgium...

Appearance: amber/golden, good clarity, huge foamy off-white head which collapsed during the three-four minutes our server spent recommending another beer (which I subsequently tried)

Aroma: faint aroma, not much there, slightly mossy

Flavor: blandish, watered down, very light malt flavor, kind of like an amber mixed with club soda

Mouthfeel: watery, light, mineral-water-like carbonation

Overall Impression: I believe this is Chimay's "table beer" or, effectively, thier "single". I must say I'm pretty disappointed. I have heard tell of this one and had looked forward to tasting it one day. Is this what those poor monks have to drink every day? I didn't even finish drinking my 33 cl sample.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Dorée from Bières de Chimay S.A.