Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 7,040 | Reviews: 2,242
4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 pint 9.4 ounce cork and caged bottle, there is a 2013 mark on the cork.

APPEARANCE: pours a cloudy, sediment filled brown color with a two-finger tan head, higher than average carbonation and excellent retention, there was a thin, unbroken layer of bubbles that remained for quite a while, very little lacing on the glass.

SMELL: sweet caramel, dark fruit like plum or raisin, bread, I could smell the alcohol.

TASTE: very sweet up front, dark fruit, bread, then a very pleasant alcohol burn, not overpowering but it's there, I would say the 9% ABV is well disguised, the taste really lingers in a good way with an alcohol warming effect.

PALATE: creamy, very high carbonation.

OVERALL: this is one of my favorite beers, love to have it on special occasions a couple times a year, it's kinda pricey at $16.00 but it all goes to charity so it's no problem.

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look merkey brown with solid 2 finger head
Smell deep sweet malts with alcohol
Tastes starts with dark fruit sweetness than transitions into a bit of yeasty funkiness with the typical Belgian yeast characteristics and finishes a bit dry and with an alcohol flavor that lingers.
Feel medium or light medium body with heavy carbonation. Leaves you wanting another drink.
Overall I tried rochefort 10 a while back and didn't care for it. I'm glad I didn't give up on the style this beer is great.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

Sweet and fizzy are the two words that come immediately to mind. Some bitterness at the close. Pretty complex all and all. Will schedule a future tasting to more adequately assess / discuss. I does hide the 9.00% very well. All and all though, one I can/would/will likely drink again. Lacing of tiny bubbles absolutely amazing in this one, whenever the glass was tilted or tipped, a cascade of bubbles would slowly trickle down the side of the glass.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured an amber brown color with a creamy half-inch head. Aromas contain dried fruit, maraschino cherries. Flavors of caramel, plum, red delicious apple, raisins, and yeast.
Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with a pronounced carbonation. An all around excellent beer - praise to the men of God who have bequeathed it to us.

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Brown pour with a hazy orange-ish red hue when put up to the light; Huge three finger thin beige head with big bubbles

Smell: Dark fruit (plum, prunes), banana esters, bready caramel malt

Taste: Sweet malts and fruity esters from the yeast upfront, then the sweetness fades into a dry breadiness and the yeast transitions into a funky, light banana quality

Mouthfeel: Medium body; Goes down smooth initially but then my palate is assaulted by extreme carbonation

Overall: I think I'm picking up a pattern. Perhaps belgian beers just aren't for me. I think its the yeast. Too funky and strange fruity esters. The high carbonation also destracts from the flavors a bit. Overall not bad per se, but im not particularly enjoying it either. At $15 a "bomber", Its not something ill buy again

3.26/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good beer overall but nothing to get crazy about. I'm really glad to say I have tried it and it is under my tasting belt, but there are many other beers that have much fuller flavor and much better scent that I would go back to before I got this again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Thought it would be better

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Foam quickly gone, a little too much carbonated. But damn nice beer! Love it

I loved this beer so much I bought the specialty glasses! I've had the yellow and red, but blue is the best! The flavors of fig and dark fruit are amazing!!! When I drink this brew I truely feel I'm being thrown back in time. When I think "old world" brews, I think Chimay!

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Really all around great beer. If you can get past the cost, atleast at my local shop. I've tried all of the chimay flavors more than once and had this on tap also. Highly recommend on tap if you get a chance. A must try.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Compra: Carrefour Camas

Gran cerveza, de las que uno nunca se cansa. Adquirida en Carrefour San Juan.

Ingesta: Jugando a Kings Bounty Dark Side

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Translucent, dark brown-amber hue with medium tan head. Steady stream of suds rising.

S: Moderate caramel and fruit with light hints of something akin to brandy.

T: Caramel and brandy-like flavors both coming through stronger, while the fruitiness is somewhat more hidden.

M: Smooth with medium viscosity and seltzer-like carbonation.

O: Complex taste with a pleasant finish despite its high alcohol content.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I have to say, this beer lives up to the hype.

Look: fairly dark brown with a thin tan head. pretty standard for a Belgian dark ale

Smell: Right away, I smell dark fruits like plums and prunes but also an interesting, more subtle breadiness on the back end.

Taste: Delicious. This is certainly a sipping beer at 9% ABV. The taste follows the nose nicely. I get a full-bodied burst of dark fruits and malty, fruitcake sweetness. The finish is quite smooth despite the high alcohol content which is always a sign of a good Belgian dark ale. I would love to sip on one of these with a nice hunk of medium rare lamb. It has almost wine-like complexity but is also very drinkable (though I likely wouldn't have more than one in one sitting)

Feel: creamy, medium-bodied. works nicely with the dominant dark fruit flavors at play here.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks impressive poured into tulip glass. A healthy loose frothy cappuccino head, dark brown caramel colour body. Smells sweet, medicinal, orange. Taste is extraordinary. Smooth, sweet, easy. Spice and chocolate. Overall. Wooyah!

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

33 cL bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Yeast was reserved in the bottle, then consumed in one (delicious) last gulp.

Deep ruby, almost brown color. Clear with a light haze. One-finger beige head with great retention. Rich malty aroma with a strong fruit sweetness comprised of figs and raisins. Slight spice picked up in the aroma that becomes more pronounced with each sip. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Incredibly smooth and easy to drink.

How have I neglected this beer for so long? Given how memorable the Chimay Prèmiere (Red) was for me when I had it, I thought I would have had this a long time ago. Overall, this is wonderfully balanced and complex without being heavy or cloying. Highly recommended.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

I've always wanted to try Chimay Grand Reserve- nothing but good things to be said. First, I'm not sure if there was a leak in my cork but the carbonation level was pretty weak. Second, from the other Belgian Darks I've had, the Chimay lacked the presence of that unique candied sweetness. Overall, a good BSDA but I prefer a sweeter profile such as that of Guldren Draak.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - really dark brown with a good tan head and great lacing
Smell - sweet boozy dark malty Belgium smell
Taste - similar to smell but with a slight fruit taste
Feel - creamy full body with medium full carb
Overall - great strong!

3.79/5  rDev -11.9%

Was more of a hype for me its little to carbonated for me

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: plum, prune and raisin hues. Inviting bubbles.
S: Sweet currant aroma.
T: figs, dates. Quite smooth. Alcohol is well masked.
M: very bubbly but not effervescent.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Too much carbonation for me. Prefer flatter beers.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Actually brewed under the close supervision of monks at Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey.

Glassware used: oversize wine glass

Appearance: Dark reddish brown with a creamy thin tan head.

Smell: Flowery with inviting caramel notes. Sort of like when you are approaching a caramel popcorn stand on the boradwalk at the beach.

Taste: Dry with the caramel hinted at by the aroma.

Mouth feel: Very smooth but pleasantly crisp.

Overall: Very enjoyable and relaxing. The 9% ABV is well hidden. This is a finesse beer. It doesn't hit you over the head with a sledge hammer that a lot of beers with this ABV do.

It's brewed to age well. So, I put one back with a note to open it in 3 years.

Definitely adding this beer on my in home rotation.

4.99/5  rDev +16%

-Medium-high carbonation,full body
O:
My fave Trappist

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

(Easy wind)
Dark brown look with a Nice creamy white head, complex flavor Carmel malt and floral with a smooth finish. Style Hides the high alcohol level well.

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I bought two of these and had them over the course of two nights. Nice dark color with a thick tan head that goes down very slowly. It's a very nice beer that would go well with steak and potatoes. However, Beer Advocate has the ABV wrong, it's actually 10.0.

I have seen comments that it's to much for the money. But you get what you pay for if you want the best you pay for it ,while some of the other labels within chimay are great this one is outstanding. This is the best of its kind I have tried dozens of Belgium style beers and this is the best from the floral smell to the sweet taste it is so complex yet so perfectly balanced you will not be displeased with this one. if you are a true beer drinker stop being so cheap and treat your self to pure bliss on earth if God truly made a beer this is it!

to view more.
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.