1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,544 | Reviews: 2,119 | Show All Ratings:
mmthompson33

Kansas

This beer demands respect. To fully appreciate it, it should be drank at the proper temperature, and hope that you have a good bottle, because the quality can vary. But if you get one of the good bottles....it's heaven. Incredible head and aroma, with a surprisingly light, fruity complex taste for its dark color. And some serious 9% kick. Drinking this beer at a campground near the brewery in Chimay, Belgium (where a 750ml bottle is $2.50) was a religious experience.

10-22-2001 21:12:11 | More by mmthompson33
John

Presentation: 33cl (11.2oz.) capped bottle. Exceptional brew all the way around. Gorgeous dark and hazy appearance. Big malty sweetness blends with peppery yeast spiciness and pleasant alcohol warming sensation. A brew to savor on a special occasion.

01-21-2002 13:17:39 | More by John
BeerManDan

Very dark amber in color with tight cream color foam. Nice pleasant complex smell and taste of fruits and roasted nuts. Slightly on the sweet side with a tangy but not bitter finish. Just a little sourness on the after taste also. Best Belgium brew so far!

08-07-2002 12:53:54 | More by BeerManDan
putnam

If the red is like solera calvados and black cherries, and if the white is like great, overripe Sauvignon Blanc like the ones Didier Dageneau makes, then this is young vintage port. Slate-infused fruits with thick black skins appear immediately. There is a suggestion of winter rye as well. Smart yeast here, using one grain to impersonate another. It is a perfect, and I mean perfect windup to a session featuring one 33cl bottle of each color. The red bears contemplation, which I did as I planned my menu. The white: aperitif heaven, but used tonight to accompany pan-grilled shrimp with garlic and beer-sauce of Red and White dregs. Alongside it there was flash-infused garlic oil used to sear fresh, organic summer squash from Yale MI's Maple Creek Farm, finished with a pile of wilted romaine from same...and steamed, nutty, fresh broccoli, also from the Lutz'...So the point is my palate has been lavished with living things. And then comes this. As it warms up it brings palate-heated aromas of raw cocoa, whole vanilla pods, new leather. Wonderful texture, just like the others...think of whipped cream melting furiously from applied heat. Wow. I hope Paterno protects this work of art from conglomerate beer snatchers. It must be allowed to live.
Warmer still and crazy XO cognac sensations become noticeable. Hennessy Paradis tastes a little bit like this...all candied orange peel and spicy, essential chocolate. What a beauty.

07-17-2003 23:36:53 | More by putnam
kegerator

Maryland

from start to finish, this is a great one.
pours a hazy deep brown with a nice offwhite head about 1 inch thick or so that dwindles nicely, leaves some good lace behind as you drink
smells of yeast, malt, caramel and some spice.
taste hits with some strong spice up front but finshes smooth with a caramel, malty finish...outstanding
i really enojoyed this one
i gave it all fives except on the appearance, i woudl have liked to see a bigger frothy head, for a strong belgian ale. but it was still awesome

05-11-2004 20:33:01 | More by kegerator
BeerBob

Nebraska

Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes Grand Reserve pours a wonderful root beer brown from a 1pt. 9.4oz brown glass bottle.

Head goes well over three fingers before dropping to a firm quarter inch cap of foam and leaving ample lacing down the sides of the glass.

Nose is mostly malt with just a hint of floral hops and traces, just traces of the 9% alcohol by volume.

Taste is a smooth, very smooth malt... a most smooth malt. A taste that one could fall in love with... I have been mesmerized by this brew and will seek it out wherever I go!

Oh My God... This stuff is GOOD!!!

06-06-2004 00:33:35 | More by BeerBob
RushLimbmalt

This is one of the best beers ever brewed. It pours a dark, hazy brownish color and has a ton of fine carbonation and a fat off-white head that leaves little lace on my glass. The aroma is as complex as the flavor and you would need a book to properly describe it. It has a very sweet, spicy malty character that is a mind blowing experience. The only thing holding this beer back is it's price... $13 at my local liquor store. That said, I buy it whenever I feel the need to pamper myself with a great Belgian beer. This is brewing at it's pinnacle.

11-08-2004 03:41:44 | More by RushLimbmalt
cardwel1

Have to poor this nice and carefully, and get the right kind of glass to let it air properly.

It's a deep brown, but not quite as murky as the Chimay premiere (red label) and doesn't have quite its bitterness. Something smooths out the taste and makes it a bit more drinkable.

09-26-2005 19:14:22 | More by cardwel1
rbb1010

This beer was extreemly smooth. Served and the proper temp it just goes down with the most amazing flavor! I highly recommend this beer! I was able to find this beer in a 1.94 pint bottle at my local Harris Teeter which made this taste test very convient. I would have to say at this point, it may be my favorite beer ever!

10-19-2006 12:47:45 | More by rbb1010
Poppypitbull

no words do this justice, the greatest ever perhaps.
dark pour, nice head all the time.
goes down smooth, obviously crafted the way a beer should be crafted and I've come to expect it from the fine people at Chimay. I buy multiple bottle at once and bring them to parties where ever I go in an attempt to educate those who are less fortunate and willingly drink garbage like bud all the time. They don't know what they are missing.
The greatest of all time, period.

05-29-2007 17:43:55 | More by Poppypitbull
AlexF

Quebec (Canada)

Meilleure. Bière. Au. Monde.

Une couleur brune-rubis profonde avec une mousse persistante.
Odeur de banane/vanille/épices... sublime.
Goût sucré de bananes, de pain d'épices, de fruits rouges le tout très moelleux et liquoreux. Toutefois, pas d'excès : cette bière est remarquablement bien équilibrée, et son fort % d'alcool est dissimulé à merveille.

12-27-2007 23:40:11 | More by AlexF
KodyBrannon

Poured this beer into my chimay chalice. It poured a dark brown color with a tan 2-finger head that shrank down to a nice collar and had a good amount of carbonation throughout the duration. The smell was of fruits and dried fruits. With just a touch of date and cherry. The taste was exquisite, the fruity yet malty combination was perfection. The alcohol can really be felt about half way through, but it is not overpowering and leaves you wanting more. I would definatly recomend this beer to anyone looking for a quality belgium beer.

01-02-2008 14:40:18 | More by KodyBrannon
giblet

well 5's should be rare...this beer is rare. what else is there to say. pours perfect with about one and a half inch of head. excellent carbonation. a darker translucent color. very nice dry grain - hop aroma. pleasing to the palate. smooth dry finish.

excellent! if you see this on a shelf - buy it. read the label and follow the suggestions on how to fully enjoy this gem.

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

06-26-2008 12:03:17 | More by giblet
steelcutoats

Chimay Grand Reserve review

When I was checking out all the reviews I've written the other day, I couldn't believe that I hadn't yet reviewed my absolute favorite Belgium ale Chimay Grand Reserve. I figured it was my duty to pick up a bottle on the way home and pick up a bottle to write about. I remember trying this about two years ago and not liking it very much, but my palette has since grown. I popped the cork on a 750 ml. bottle and poured a good sample into a Chimay chalice that I got last year in a gift pack. There wasn't much of a head once poured; I took great care not to disturb the yeast sediment resting at the bottom of the bottle. The color was a deep, rusty orange, with very little light penetrating the chalice. The aroma was sublime with hints of dates, figs and yeast. I had read originally that this beer was once only brewed at Christmas time, which does explain why this particular ale reminds me a Barleywine. The taste is sweet, almost like port with deep fruits and a peppery aftertaste. This ale is a champion and should be enjoyed as often as possible. Grab a bottle or two and sit down to enjoy a epic masterpiece.

09-13-2008 00:40:46 | More by steelcutoats
generallee

Presentation: It was poured from a stubby brown 11.2oz bottle into a signature Chimay chalice that came with the gift set.

Appearance: The body has a beautiful deep dark brown colored body with dark ruby highlights and a slightly hazy body. The head builds up tall and thick with an abundance of small tiny, tight packed bubbles. It has a creamy off white color and good retention as it slowly settles down to a light thin covering. Lacing is very slick and minimal.

Smell: The aroma has an intoxicating mix of sweet malt, earthy yeast and dark fruity esters.

Taste/Mouth feel: Ageing only adds more complexity and character and each sip will reveal different flavor notes. To start there is a nice lightly roasted, almost smoky malt with different layers of dark fruits that is revealed as it warms. Plums, figs, dates, dark and golden raisins are some fruits I noted and all is surrounded buy the presence of a pleasant warming port like alcohol. Its palate is full and well rounded with a smooth feel and mellow carbonation.

Notes: For me this is about as close to perfect as a beer could be. It is an absolute pleasure for all the senses.

11-07-2008 18:54:03 | More by generallee
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

One of my favorite Trappists. I have to buy it in the cask and I can't help but finish the whole thing in one sitting. For a dark ale it drinks very smooth and has a complex mix of flavors. Just writing this review makes me want to go get another cask for tonight.

Serving type: cask

04-09-2009 17:35:02 | More by greg202stewart
MLasoski

I don't even know where to start. This is my favorite of the Chimay series and has probably topped my list of favorite beers, let alone Trappist beers.

Served: In a bottle, poured into an ale glass.

A: Perfect. As I poured the beer in, the head already started to form, never surpassing 1.5 inches. The body is an unfiltered dark tan color with copious amounts of bubbles. Looks very mysterious.

S: Smells rich with mild citrus and a perfect amount of hops and yeast.

T: Tastes how I described it in a perfect blend. I don't think I could stress the "perfect" enough. Incredibly smoothe and leaves you wondering what you're really tasting.

M: With a mild carbonation, it starts out moderately hoppy with a fruity aftertaste. I want to say lemon and orange.

D: With the ABV of 9.00% set aside, I would love to have another one. This beats out the Chimay Red & White, but not to take away from those two either since they are really good as well. This is my first "all 5" beer.

05-27-2009 01:14:25 | More by MLasoski
superdavex

Washington

What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said before. Perfection in a bottle. The great thing about it is that it's so easily available, if not cheap. It is wise to buy it from a reputable store as I've had one or two that tasted like they weren't stored properly.

09-17-2009 19:33:58 | More by superdavex
smallbatchbrewer

I have been drinking this stuff for ages. These monks have been making this stuff for as long as history has been written. I have been told the secret is in the yeast and the slow process. Others say it's the rock filtered waters in their wells. I dunno what it is, but these monks know how to brew and I never want to see the day this stuff isn't on the shelf.

To me, the sweetness and the hint of bitterness in this beer mix just right to create its own unique flavor, even among other great Abby ales. My palate summons grapes, dates and spiced apple.

09-22-2009 07:47:56 | More by smallbatchbrewer
likethetaste

I wanted to try this beer because it is so highly rated! Well it is not the type that i would normally go for but I must say this is a good beer. The fact that I like it and it is not a type I usually like says a lot!

Nice lookiing dark amber with nice head.

Spicy smell.

Wonderful spicy flavor with strong but not overpowering or alcohol taste! This would be a great winter warmer beer!!!

Lots of alcohol but very drinkable with good mouth feel. I like this! And will drink it again on a cold snowy night. WATCH out this is very drinkable but STRONG! Be warned :) What a great beer just perfect for cold nights. MUST BE DRANK AT THE CORRECT TEMPERATURE and the older the better! :) Also drink from the proper glass!

An incredible beer that has become one of my all time favorites. After drinking this (and the other Chimay's) all my other beer reviews seem like straw! This is an incredible beer that blows away everything else I have ever tried.

01-21-2010 22:42:09 | More by likethetaste
dcook11

A- Grape. Medium to dark. Very good look. Low carbonation. A gift to the eyes. Very Sexy beer.
S- Grape. Malt. No hops. Very nice.
T- No bitterness just weet grape and malt. Alcohol not evident even at nine percent.
M- Smooth as silk.
d- Too good. A pleasure to quaff.

07-02-2010 05:08:45 | More by dcook11
sunrisechina

THE BEST. My first review, so of course I start with my favorite. What else can I say about perfection in my eyes. Like the perfect woman, only better.

Why does this system say I have to write more words about perfection. Can something so good be done by me? no. Do I even really understand perfection? no Can I explain perfection? no 250 characters yet?

09-09-2010 17:21:20 | More by sunrisechina
mikepreed

I would rate the Chimay Blue as my favorite beer of my favorite style. As classic as the Chimay Red is as Belgian dark ale, the Blue seems to be its perfect evolution.

It pours and looks practically like syrup, but the taste and armoma are surprisingly light and fruity. There is absolutely no hint of the 9% alochol content.

I have a small shrine on my bar as a tribute to this beer -- please come visit if you're worthy ;-)

11-06-2010 18:06:18 | More by mikepreed
scottbrew4u

A: Pours into chalice a clear brown color with some burgundy tones and a two-finger tall frothy tan head that settles beautifully but remains the whole time. Lacing is present.

S: Candy apples, molasses, dark cherries, vanilla, rich roasted malt complexity with a hint of burnt malt. More cherries and fruity esters keep going wild and wonderful and somewhat port like. Some spice from yeast and hops in the background.

T: Dark cherries, black currants, vanilla, jasmine, roasted caramel and bready malts combine with some toffee and molasses sweetness. Some sherry and port like flavors with a spicy yeast and it is a touch of heaven. Finish is smooth and well balanced.

M: Velvety smooth medium to full body with a slight alcohol warmth but mostly well hidden.

D: A luscious beer to say the least! So complex in aroma and flavor but balanced and smooth it is a world class beer worth repeating!

11-10-2010 04:17:50 | More by scottbrew4u
HeyItsChili

China

Poured from a 2007 Vintage jeroboam bottle into a gigantic Chimay chalice.

A - Cordovan brown with big globlets of yeast floating throughout, capped by a substantial, puffy ecru head.

S - Essence of spices; clove is the most prominent but there's pepper in there too. Malty aroma, dark fruits, toffee.

T - Just incredible. There is a rich, delicious malt flavor mingling with warming spice and dark fruits. There's no alcohol aftertaste though it is present in the flavor.

M - Like carbonated velvet. Boom.

I gave this one all 5s. Chimay Grande Reserve is fantastic as it is, but being in the gigantic bottle changed the way this one ages somewhat and having put a few years of age on it really made it something even more special.

01-07-2011 05:26:44 | More by HeyItsChili
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.