2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,554 | Reviews: 2,119 | Show All Ratings:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

This is our first beer here at The Beer Sellar. Thanks to Tyler McCord for setting this up. Without him, I might not have even considered The Beer Sellar as a sponsor for the 1001 Bottles project. He is a regular here, living right down the road, and has introduced me to several people here already. Everyone seems to know him… sort of his personal Cheers!

The label is, well… blue! Hence the name I suppose. This is a Trappist beer, too. Do you know what a Trappist beer is? Well it’s managed by monks basically. I just posted a blog about it; go read that!

The beer smells spicy. Spicy and wet… but promises to be a decent ale. We have been drinking a lot of Belgian beers lately. Anyway, this beer is famous. Well, Chimay is famous. It’s a famous… Trappist beer. Lots of focus on the Trappist beers thus far. But that’s okay, I dig the ales.

There is a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, but it dies quickly into a sweet treat. The aftertaste is subtle, but begs for another sip. The second drink isn’t as good, but it still leaves some huge sweet notes on the tongue. It’s pretty solid, but not sure it lives up to all the hype. There is another Chimay beer on this list; hopefully that one is better than this on. Bottoms up people!

06-07-2011 01:56:59 | More by rickyleepotts
gentlebubbles

2.08/5  rDev -51.6%

750 ml bottle. Bottle-conditioned. No sign whatsoever of a vintage date. Perhaps the code LAM - 088 on the back means something?

Despite the enticing pop of the cork, only a reluctant tan haze briefly passes for a head. The beer itself is a deep chestnut with an amber glow at the bottom and a hint of ruby at the brim.

Strong unpleasant yeasty smell, like a starter of baking yeast. As it warms the alcohol comes out in powerful winey port with overtones of raisins.

Hardly any flavor to fight off the alcohol, just a bit of sweetness up front more like maple syrup than malt. Thin and fizzy and that yeast taste pops up again in the finish.

Supposedly it benefits from aging. It could only get better.

11-24-2004 23:25:07 | More by gentlebubbles
sauron681

Wisconsin

2.17/5  rDev -49.5%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for a very long time. What a dissapointment.
750ml. bottle corked and caged. Vintage: 10/05
Poured very nicely, dark burgundy/ruby color, excellent thick head. A very inviting smell, and mouthfeel. Perhaps a hint of raisins, and a bit spicy. The taste however was almost like drinking Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Very harsh, strong, chemical alcohol taste to it. I could not finish the whole bottle. I will try this beer again, but will let it age a couple years and then see.

01-12-2006 02:09:58 | More by sauron681
VDODSON

North Dakota

2.2/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer sucks. Taste's like a carbonated milkshake, and is worse than the white version. Cant believe I spent five dollars on this poor excuse of a beer, while I could of got a bomber of Stone IPA for the same price. Those monks are drinking to much of their own product, and they're drunk during the entire process. I will try again once they sober up, and quit adding cinnamon and sugar to their beers. Why is there no one monitoring these drunk monks? What a life huh, drink beer all day and wear a jedi robe.

02-19-2013 20:22:35 | More by VDODSON
jds1469

Indiana

2.23/5  rDev -48.1%

I was excited to find an aged bottle at a local store (only thing is they had it in the back of the cooler not at the temp of the other crafts. Got it home, popped the top, poured into my New Belgium globe...

Apperance - PERFECT, dark, rich and cloudy amber color, for an ALE this is perfect. The head was about one inch tall and went away quickly.

Smell - This reminded me of a cheap, woody cognac to start with. I actually sat this down and came back to it after a few minutes, afterwords I could still smell the woodiness but the fruit and florals started to become more prominent.

Taste - All I can say is watered down whiskey. Just NOT IMPRESSED.

Mouthfeel - TOO thin, no feel at all. It has the feel of water.

Drinkability - I would get something else. Very poor overall.

01-11-2011 01:47:26 | More by jds1469
bigpatvoodoodad

South Carolina

2.3/5  rDev -46.5%

I bought this to try because it continues to be so highly rated. I was disappointed. I poured it into a glass so I could observe the head and it was quite nice. It smelled pretty good too. The thing that really turned me off was the taste. I swear it tasted like someone put about three packets of Sweet-N-Low in every bottle. I just couldn't shake the saccharine sweetness from my palate. This one is popular, but definitely not for me.

01-16-2008 15:24:37 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
hero27

2.38/5  rDev -44.7%

Appearance: Looks good in the glass. Head explodes from the bottom of the glass and creates a large, but modest, foamy head. Leaves virtually no lacing, though. Color is very dark and muddy.

Smell: Figures...I hear so many good things about this beer and find out that it's just another spicy belgian. Smell is of hefty malts and clove.

Taste: I don't like spices, and this beer is no exception. It's my personal opinion and I don't mean to drag down the rating of a "good" beer, but spices are simply not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: I'll give it some credit.. it's smooth for a relatively high-alcohol beer. Little carbonation.

Drinkability: The 9% ABV is a plus, as I like a little kick to my beers, but lends the drinkability an average rating.

Overall, I'm obviously dissapointed, and kinda pissed off. I mean, some Belgians I've had have been superb, and some have been not to my liking at all. I read reviews and it's hard to tell because everyone has different tastes. When I originally started drinking more hoppy beers, I didn't really like them much, but now I adore them. However, I really don't think this is a taste I will become accustomed to. Spices/cloves are something that I think should have their place in food, not in my beer.

01-10-2005 21:58:40 | More by hero27
GbVDave

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a 150cl bottle into a Chimay chalice. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a cloudy reddish brown, dirty appearance, zero head. Hmmm.

S: Big whack of sickly sweet malt with an off-smelling red wine aroma. This is starting to look not so good.

T: Sweet malty flavors mixed with chocolate and that off putting red wineyness. Slightly sour (not in a good way) and finally a tiny bit of cola.

M: Smooth and rich, the lone bright spot of this beer.

D: Not so much...was this bottle bad? Or is this how it is? We were very, very disappointed with this.

11-13-2007 01:42:06 | More by GbVDave
PopScene

France

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

1.5L bottle from 2011.

Most overrated beer i have drink.
Not bad but really far from a rochefort 8 or a st-bernardus 10.

The appearence is really beautifull for the style but when it comes to the smell, it's just a little bit about caramel and apricot but no more. The taste doesn't offer more than the smell but alcohol is quite well hidden. The mourhfeel is OK.

Finally, i think there are really more interesting beers in this type.

06-09-2011 20:21:48 | More by PopScene
bobhits

Kentucky

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Ah Trappest so far I’ve found this word to mean “awful beer.” Lets see if my memory of this “grand reserve” are justified.

Pours a deep rusted dark orange/red color. The head is full of tiny little bubbles often associated with pour head retention and lacing, but none of that here. A strong head and nice lacing all around. I made some effort to decant for the appearance, but this one is murky.

Sour hops and weak malt are the opening. Alcohol makes itself noticed as well. A sort of rum and spice with some dark fruits is in here but this aroma is normally far far better.

The flavors are far more enjoyable than the nose thankfully. Extremely complex blend of slight bitterness, sour notes, spices, and malt perfectly placed to not distract but enhance the other flavors. I can certainly see aging this beer for a decade to kill the hops and bring out the malt more. I’m not a huge malt lover, but here the hops are pleasant and really the different flavors don’t fully mingle well. Bottle if I’m reading it correctly is around a year old.

Those tight bubbles make for an over carbonated mouthfeel, but far making the beer hard to consume. Body some off rather medium to style because of this and as a result it isn’t good or bad.

Certainly not as bad as I recall which means I’m becoming more and more tolerant to these odd flavors. That said one should expect more based on the hype, cost, and well the reputation of Trappest beers. Oh and just a bit of advice to Chimay, this beer should be served in 6-7 oz bottles. This 11.2 oz bottle is far too big.

09-18-2011 19:59:16 | More by bobhits
IrishRedRock

2.73/5  rDev -36.5%

Ehhhhh I expected more out of this. Pours nearly black with a thin lace on top. This will kick you square in the balls at 9% and that alcohol taste is prevalent. I found the taste very similar to Duvel, but much more bitter. Duvel is good...this stuff was not.

06-23-2002 14:57:12 | More by IrishRedRock
Gagnonsux

2.75/5  rDev -36%

Bought this in a 3-pack which included one of each Chimay variety plus a glass for around $11.00. Yesterday, I tried their Tripel and didn't really like it. I like this Blue better than the Tripel, but I can definently tell Belgian ales aren't my thing. Appearance is really dark, not quite coffee colored, but close. Head is moderate height, but quite creamy. The head never quite goes away and leaves a thin layer on top of the beer. Smell is of spices, slight apple smell. Taste is mainly of spices, reminds me of something I'd have around Christmas. Smoother than the tripel I had yesterday, but similiar. 9% alcohol is barely tasted, but noted by a warming of my stomach. Overall, I now know this isn't a style of beer for me, so I probably won't get it again.

07-11-2004 21:57:50 | More by Gagnonsux
jim102864

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -36%

Poured this Belgian strong dark into my Chimay goblet. Appropriate enough, heh? This corked and caged 1.9 oz bottle with the blue label was cork-dated 2006. The label lacked any information as to exactly when it was brewed which might have something to do with the average experience I had with this beer. Upon pouring, I noted an active head, lots of carbonation and thus bubbles, yet the head disapaited very quickly. A bit of a disappointment. Nonetheless, some lace did web the glass and I moved on to the nose which was...modest to barely noticeable. Some whispers of aged fruit (maybe) but really nothing else. This of course had a lot to do with the taste which was very subtle. Notes of aged prunes and raisens but not much else. Sure, some candied sugar caught my attention but what a ho-hum taste. Mouthfeel was as uneventful as the aroma and taste. Watery comes to mind. No viscous blanket to the tongue. Nada. It's drinkable I suppose, but I don't think this is a beer I will seek out again. Maybe it was a maturity thing. Maybe not. A snooze fest that I will not purchase a ticket for again anytime soon.

04-15-2007 16:26:27 | More by jim102864
mntlover

Tennessee

2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

My last Chimay it pours a dark reddish brown with nice light tan head. Aroma dark fruits, grape wine like with hints of alcohol. Taste of alcohol with a sudden burst of carbonation obscures most of flavor that is present. Malt hints of dark fruit, grape, and candy like about all I could find threw the alcohol. Mouthfeel is fine to much carbonation otherwise pretty good. Drinkability is bad could of had 2 12oz of Trois Pistoles for the price of this one 11.2 oz and they would have been more the twice as good.

09-07-2004 18:13:17 | More by mntlover
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a deep, mahogany color. Great big head on top. Decent lacing. Sulfury and yeasty aroma. Reminds me of the dregs of a fermenter. Not a lot there that stands out. A lot of malt upfront flavor wise. Spicy and peppery throughout. I find it fairly one dimensional. The typical "Belgian" yeasts flavor dominates the whole thing. Theres nothing too discernable. Ok body for the style. An average beer overall. Theres some much better beers of this style out there. This just seems like the Sam Adams of Belgians to me. Nothing special and doesnt take too many chances.

06-25-2005 02:07:50 | More by lackenhauser
Wadsey

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -33.7%

Chimay Grand Réserve. L08-436 consumed on September 4, 2011.

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours clear deep ruby with two-inch head that collapses quickly and leaves no appreciable lacing. Exuberant effervesce.

S: Treacle, dark, dried fruits such as raisins and figs, caramel. Additional aromas include cherry, port and oxidation.

T: Taste is much more mellow than I expected, with the individual characteristics evident in the smell having been worn down. This beer is also drier than my nose lead me to believe, and that is also to the detriment to this beer. Dark bread, caramel, raisins, and spice are the main players. Mild bitterness joins in before a finish that has a strange numbing antiseptic note flashing across palate.

M: Medium body and medium-light carbonation. Light and thin on palate.

O: For a beer that shares the great smells I associate with world-class English barleywines and doppelbocks, Chimay Grand Réserve certainly disappoints me in other categories. It is not bad, per se, but definitely not impressive.

09-05-2011 05:02:08 | More by Wadsey
danieelol

Australia

2.88/5  rDev -33%

Chimay chalice. 2010 vintage.

A: pours with a bit of head which rapidly diminishes. Some lacing but not too much. For the style the lack of head retention is pathetic. And after 10 minutes there's no lacing left either. 2.5

S: Nose is not potent at all. This follows a Bernardus Abt with a best By of 06/08/14 and the flavour in the St Bernardus was just so much more potent to the extent that the beers are not comparable in any way. There's a bit of yeast and some winey notes and alcohol but apart from that the nose is simply incredibly weak. I think partly it's that the head dies down too quick to get any lasting flavour notes. 2.5

T: Some sort of Belgian chemically solventy flavours mainly. Not unpleasant but not really impressive or enjoyable in any way. At least there is some flavour here, unlike in the nose. Also some yeast. 3

M: Relatively thick and creamy actually. 4

D: Honestly not an enjoyable or well flavoured beer. Can certainly drink it but it lacks flavour. This is the second bottle I've had of the 2010 vintage, and the first (a 750mL) ended up being a drainpour. I've previously enjoyed Chimay Blue. I also enjoyed both the Chimay Red and White which came in the same tasting pack. I just don't know what's wrong with the Chimay Blue now, it's supposed to be their flagship beer but I can quite honestly say it's just a bad beer at present. Carbonation dies down too quickly (I'm staring at the glass within 10 minutes of opening the bottle and there is 0 head left, a far cry from the Bernardus Abt where the head lasted for 50 minutes or so), flavour is muted. Maybe there's been some problems in bottling but they've occurred repeatedly and I've no problems marking down this most overrated of beers. 2.5

01-14-2011 02:15:11 | More by danieelol
Gaben

2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Umm goot ol chimay bluaw. I do dig this beer but 1st of I would have to say do not mix this stuff with any other types of beer in the same night of drinking.

Appearance is damn amazing , has lots of floating bubbles and does stay fresh along time after pourn into chimay cup. Somewhat cloudy and dark but overall nice.

Smell is pretty decent has a good belgian sence with a bit of a darker side due to it being "Bluaw"!

Taste is good , did remind me of a good wheat beer but a had to been a bit sour or something.

Mouthfeel is pretty good you can drink this and not mind it for awhile.

But drinkability if another factor ... goes down sour with a bunch of old chimay yeast floating in the bottle's. I do repeat do not mix this with any other beer or you'll be puking it up that night.

Stay safe and drink da bluaw with easy.

11-07-2005 06:57:20 | More by Gaben
HAB

2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Like a lot of others, I really looked forward to trying this beer. The appearance was a very nice brown with a lace head. The smell was inviting but the taste was too much like wine for me. The alcohol is very strong in the taste. For these reasons, it is not very drinkable beer for me.

09-29-2006 18:41:56 | More by HAB
jt31914

A: Darker than red, but still amber with no head or lacing.

S: Alcohol and grapes in the smell - more like a quad than a strong ale.

T: Same as smell, pear and dried grapes dominate the taste; a little heat. This is good but once again tastes more like a quad to me.

M/D: Somewhat drinkable, highly disappointed in this brew.

06-19-2010 01:17:50 | More by jt31914
palliko

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance is dark auburn with a foamy head and some lacing. Aroma has yeast, fruit, brown sugar. Initial taste is full of yeast, currants, ethanol and brown sugar. Foam is minimal with not much lacing. Body is thin, carbonation medium. Initial taste has notes of malt, yeast, plums, but little hops. Fruits increase as the temperature warms the beer. Finishes dry but with a peculiar aftertaste.

07-19-2005 20:44:35 | More by palliko
bennetj17

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Served in a snifter. The color is murky brown with a nice head that dissipates very fast. Decent active carbonation. Lacing is unremakrable. The smell is sort of faint, somewhat fruity with the aroma of belgian yeast. Taste is of sour apple and spice intitially, there is a hint of cloves present also. The finish is dry and alcoholic, not very bitter, it actually tastes like Bourbon, suprisingly. The beer has a medium thickness on the palate, is adequately bubbly, but could use some more body. This beer was not what I had expected. Not that exquisite, not all that drinkable for a Belgian.

01-13-2006 07:10:47 | More by bennetj17
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 11/24/2005 (bottle):

The pour creates a pours a dark brown colored body, with an off-white head. Has an aroma of spices. The taste also has that same spiciness, with some roasted notes. Some floral taste too. Good, but, not as good as the red in my opinion.

11-11-2008 04:01:32 | More by jujubeast6000
Wolfsdenbrew

New Mexico

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a dark ruby brown, bit hazy, with an off-white big head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

Very little hop bouquet in the aroma, musty yeast, earthy, bit spicy, perhaps clove.

Taste is somewhat sweet with decent balance. Starts sweet and finishes a bit sour. Dark fruits, raisins and prunes, and sweet malts are present.

Overly carbonated and medium body.

An average beer...Chimay remains very average all around for me.

01-02-2005 17:07:07 | More by Wolfsdenbrew
NJpadreFan

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Chimay- Blue

Appearance- Hazy reddish brown with a thick head that disappated quickly.
Smell- light fruitiness and alcohol.
Taste- immediatelt hit with a raisin/ prune fruitiness followed by a heavy dose of alcohol!! Mild malt tones finish the taste along with spices (pepper perhaps).
Mouthfeel- Fruity but the 9% alcohol is just too high for me. Beer finishes off nicely with a good maltiness.

Overall- A beer that has potential. The flavor is almost there and the alcohol is too high! If these 2 could be better regulated this would be phenominal!

08-16-2006 20:17:58 | More by NJpadreFan
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.