Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,090 | Reviews: 2,253
2.55/5  rDev -40.7%

1.5L bottle from 2011.

Most overrated beer i have drink.
Not bad but really far from a rochefort 8 or a st-bernardus 10.

The appearence is really beautifull for the style but when it comes to the smell, it's just a little bit about caramel and apricot but no more. The taste doesn't offer more than the smell but alcohol is quite well hidden. The mourhfeel is OK.

Finally, i think there are really more interesting beers in this type.

2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

I'm a beer lover, not a beer expert nor gourmet. Maybe my taste buds were destroyed by too much Busch in my college days. I tried to like this beer but couldn't. It seemed over-carbonated and it seemed to have a raw alcohol taste. Maybe i'm not used to 9 percent beer, maybe the monks had a bad day, or maybe I'm just a low-brow beer lover. I will give it another chance.

2.76/5  rDev -35.8%

Ehhhhh I expected more out of this. Pours nearly black with a thin lace on top. This will kick you square in the balls at 9% and that alcohol taste is prevalent. I found the taste very similar to Duvel, but much more bitter. Duvel is good...this stuff was not.

2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured this Belgian strong dark into my Chimay goblet. Appropriate enough, heh? This corked and caged 1.9 oz bottle with the blue label was cork-dated 2006. The label lacked any information as to exactly when it was brewed which might have something to do with the average experience I had with this beer. Upon pouring, I noted an active head, lots of carbonation and thus bubbles, yet the head disapaited very quickly. A bit of a disappointment. Nonetheless, some lace did web the glass and I moved on to the nose which was...modest to barely noticeable. Some whispers of aged fruit (maybe) but really nothing else. This of course had a lot to do with the taste which was very subtle. Notes of aged prunes and raisens but not much else. Sure, some candied sugar caught my attention but what a ho-hum taste. Mouthfeel was as uneventful as the aroma and taste. Watery comes to mind. No viscous blanket to the tongue. Nada. It's drinkable I suppose, but I don't think this is a beer I will seek out again. Maybe it was a maturity thing. Maybe not. A snooze fest that I will not purchase a ticket for again anytime soon.

2.79/5  rDev -35.1%

Bought this in a 3-pack which included one of each Chimay variety plus a glass for around $11.00. Yesterday, I tried their Tripel and didn't really like it. I like this Blue better than the Tripel, but I can definently tell Belgian ales aren't my thing. Appearance is really dark, not quite coffee colored, but close. Head is moderate height, but quite creamy. The head never quite goes away and leaves a thin layer on top of the beer. Smell is of spices, slight apple smell. Taste is mainly of spices, reminds me of something I'd have around Christmas. Smoother than the tripel I had yesterday, but similiar. 9% alcohol is barely tasted, but noted by a warming of my stomach. Overall, I now know this isn't a style of beer for me, so I probably won't get it again.

2.83/5  rDev -34.2%

My last Chimay it pours a dark reddish brown with nice light tan head. Aroma dark fruits, grape wine like with hints of alcohol. Taste of alcohol with a sudden burst of carbonation obscures most of flavor that is present. Malt hints of dark fruit, grape, and candy like about all I could find threw the alcohol. Mouthfeel is fine to much carbonation otherwise pretty good. Drinkability is bad could of had 2 12oz of Trois Pistoles for the price of this one 11.2 oz and they would have been more the twice as good.

2.83/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a deep, mahogany color. Great big head on top. Decent lacing. Sulfury and yeasty aroma. Reminds me of the dregs of a fermenter. Not a lot there that stands out. A lot of malt upfront flavor wise. Spicy and peppery throughout. I find it fairly one dimensional. The typical "Belgian" yeasts flavor dominates the whole thing. Theres nothing too discernable. Ok body for the style. An average beer overall. Theres some much better beers of this style out there. This just seems like the Sam Adams of Belgians to me. Nothing special and doesnt take too many chances.

2.85/5  rDev -33.7%

Chimay chalice. 2010 vintage.

A: pours with a bit of head which rapidly diminishes. Some lacing but not too much. For the style the lack of head retention is pathetic. And after 10 minutes there's no lacing left either. 2.5

S: Nose is not potent at all. This follows a Bernardus Abt with a best By of 06/08/14 and the flavour in the St Bernardus was just so much more potent to the extent that the beers are not comparable in any way. There's a bit of yeast and some winey notes and alcohol but apart from that the nose is simply incredibly weak. I think partly it's that the head dies down too quick to get any lasting flavour notes. 2.5

T: Some sort of Belgian chemically solventy flavours mainly. Not unpleasant but not really impressive or enjoyable in any way. At least there is some flavour here, unlike in the nose. Also some yeast. 3

M: Relatively thick and creamy actually. 4

D: Honestly not an enjoyable or well flavoured beer. Can certainly drink it but it lacks flavour. This is the second bottle I've had of the 2010 vintage, and the first (a 750mL) ended up being a drainpour. I've previously enjoyed Chimay Blue. I also enjoyed both the Chimay Red and White which came in the same tasting pack. I just don't know what's wrong with the Chimay Blue now, it's supposed to be their flagship beer but I can quite honestly say it's just a bad beer at present. Carbonation dies down too quickly (I'm staring at the glass within 10 minutes of opening the bottle and there is 0 head left, a far cry from the Bernardus Abt where the head lasted for 50 minutes or so), flavour is muted. Maybe there's been some problems in bottling but they've occurred repeatedly and I've no problems marking down this most overrated of beers. 2.5

2.92/5  rDev -32.1%

Umm goot ol chimay bluaw. I do dig this beer but 1st of I would have to say do not mix this stuff with any other types of beer in the same night of drinking.

Appearance is damn amazing , has lots of floating bubbles and does stay fresh along time after pourn into chimay cup. Somewhat cloudy and dark but overall nice.

Smell is pretty decent has a good belgian sence with a bit of a darker side due to it being "Bluaw"!

Taste is good , did remind me of a good wheat beer but a had to been a bit sour or something.

Mouthfeel is pretty good you can drink this and not mind it for awhile.

But drinkability if another factor ... goes down sour with a bunch of old chimay yeast floating in the bottle's. I do repeat do not mix this with any other beer or you'll be puking it up that night.

Stay safe and drink da bluaw with easy.

2.96/5  rDev -31.2%

Chimay Grand Réserve. L08-436 consumed on September 4, 2011.

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours clear deep ruby with two-inch head that collapses quickly and leaves no appreciable lacing. Exuberant effervesce.

S: Treacle, dark, dried fruits such as raisins and figs, caramel. Additional aromas include cherry, port and oxidation.

T: Taste is much more mellow than I expected, with the individual characteristics evident in the smell having been worn down. This beer is also drier than my nose lead me to believe, and that is also to the detriment to this beer. Dark bread, caramel, raisins, and spice are the main players. Mild bitterness joins in before a finish that has a strange numbing antiseptic note flashing across palate.

M: Medium body and medium-light carbonation. Light and thin on palate.

O: For a beer that shares the great smells I associate with world-class English barleywines and doppelbocks, Chimay Grand Réserve certainly disappoints me in other categories. It is not bad, per se, but definitely not impressive.

Like a lot of others, I really looked forward to trying this beer. The appearance was a very nice brown with a lace head. The smell was inviting but the taste was too much like wine for me. The alcohol is very strong in the taste. For these reasons, it is not very drinkable beer for me.

A: Darker than red, but still amber with no head or lacing.

S: Alcohol and grapes in the smell - more like a quad than a strong ale.

T: Same as smell, pear and dried grapes dominate the taste; a little heat. This is good but once again tastes more like a quad to me.

M/D: Somewhat drinkable, highly disappointed in this brew.

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance is dark auburn with a foamy head and some lacing. Aroma has yeast, fruit, brown sugar. Initial taste is full of yeast, currants, ethanol and brown sugar. Foam is minimal with not much lacing. Body is thin, carbonation medium. Initial taste has notes of malt, yeast, plums, but little hops. Fruits increase as the temperature warms the beer. Finishes dry but with a peculiar aftertaste.

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

Served in a snifter. The color is murky brown with a nice head that dissipates very fast. Decent active carbonation. Lacing is unremakrable. The smell is sort of faint, somewhat fruity with the aroma of belgian yeast. Taste is of sour apple and spice intitially, there is a hint of cloves present also. The finish is dry and alcoholic, not very bitter, it actually tastes like Bourbon, suprisingly. The beer has a medium thickness on the palate, is adequately bubbly, but could use some more body. This beer was not what I had expected. Not that exquisite, not all that drinkable for a Belgian.

3.06/5  rDev -28.8%

Chimay- Blue

Appearance- Hazy reddish brown with a thick head that disappated quickly.
Smell- light fruitiness and alcohol.
Taste- immediatelt hit with a raisin/ prune fruitiness followed by a heavy dose of alcohol!! Mild malt tones finish the taste along with spices (pepper perhaps).
Mouthfeel- Fruity but the 9% alcohol is just too high for me. Beer finishes off nicely with a good maltiness.

Overall- A beer that has potential. The flavor is almost there and the alcohol is too high! If these 2 could be better regulated this would be phenominal!

3.06/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a medium glossy and hazy brown. big head, foamed up nicely, some chunks.
Smell is weak. Not sure what's going on. Yeast and soft fruit seem to come out, but can't quite detect anything strong.
Taste is also a bit weak. Belgian yeast and spice, some dark soft fruit and raisin. Where's the taste?
Kind of flat and syrupy in the feel. Not impressed with this one, overpriced for sure.

3.07/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a dark ruby brown, bit hazy, with an off-white big head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

Very little hop bouquet in the aroma, musty yeast, earthy, bit spicy, perhaps clove.

Taste is somewhat sweet with decent balance. Starts sweet and finishes a bit sour. Dark fruits, raisins and prunes, and sweet malts are present.

Overly carbonated and medium body.

An average beer...Chimay remains very average all around for me.

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

Reviewed 11/24/2005 (bottle):

The pour creates a pours a dark brown colored body, with an off-white head. Has an aroma of spices. The taste also has that same spiciness, with some roasted notes. Some floral taste too. Good, but, not as good as the red in my opinion.

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

When opening the bottle, I damn near punched a hole in the wall with the cork. Beer pours a hazy brown color with a big ass fluffy off white head. Way over carbonated. The aroma smells like a Bud after just poppin’ a can open. Flavor isn’t much better. Light malt sweetness with some background esters. The bitterness seems to linger. Medium body. Slight alcohol warming. Very disappointed with this beer. Hope the wife will drink the rest.

3.12/5  rDev -27.4%

A- very murky brown w 1 finger head and good retention
S- very malty and quite ordinary. Nothing impressive at all.
T- heavy in caramel and candied sugar. Tastes more like a German dopple bock than a Belgian ale
M- full bodied and cream
O- another strong dark ale that just didn't work for me

3.14/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle poured slowly into a St. Bernardus (the blasphemy [SP?] !?!!?!!?!) goblet.

A: Slightly chill hazed, slight bit of sediment made its way into the beer, but otherwise clear and dark, sort of cola-like with just as much head and just as lasting. Sort of dissapointed with the look of this one so far.

S: Doughy sweetness, figs, dates, and cloves.

T/MF: Tight, prickly carbonation, full bodied but quite a bit bubbly, like champagne bubbly. Spicy, not too sweet, there is some bit of it in the close but spice and a mild alcoholic heat take up most of the stage with this beer. Bit of black pepper, more booze that I would care for in a beer. Finishes a bit grainy and leaves the tongue a bit prickly with the sides of my tongue (the sour taste buds right?) acting up.

D: I think the look of this beer may have killed the rest of the drinking experience for me, I was expecting big things and was dissapointed with the end results.

Note: I am getting frustrated with my glassware and/or the way this beer might have been sitting on the shelf for a bit too long. I've got no head and no lacing on a beer that should have tons of both. I hand washed the glass with lots of baking soda and hot water and rinsed and rinsed, still the head just evaporates. I don't think my method of washing is off because this process has worked wonders before, I just don't get what is going on here. My only chance is to grab another, new looking bottle, somehow, and give this beer the second chance that I know it deserves.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer pours a cloudy, dark brown color with 1/2 inch tan head. It has a fruity aroma with a hint of brown sugar. The flavor is banana with chocolate and malt sweetness. The chocolate intensifies as it warms. It's got a very full mouthfeel. Chimay Blue is a good beer overall but is very filling which limits it's drinkability to just one. Recommended.

3.18/5  rDev -26%

Color is a deep dark opaquely russet ruby color with a very tall off-white fluffy head, almost laughable and too big, took three separate times to pour it from the 11.2 oz. bottle into my Delirium Tremens goblet glass as the head just kept getting in the way, ridiculous head, let me get at it already.

Nose is dull and kinda light, not much going on besides some light lemon peel citrus and yeast, a touch smokey and meaty upon bigger wiffs.

Taste is short lived and a bit boring, complexity is not very forthcoming from this offering. Very dull citrus of melon husk and majorly dulled lemon and peels, lightly sweet malts and subdued spicy yeast with some strange uneven texture that I didn't care for all that much.

Feel is medium bodied with a weird texture I just couldn't get past. Where's the smooth? Where's the creamy? Blah, boring, yuk. Not impressed. The Chimay Red was much better. I'm not sure if I have a bad bottle or what, but I've been saving this bottle, plus a few others for nearly 4 months hoping a bit of aging would make for an interesting session, but nope. I guess I'll be letting those sit alot longer. I'm bored, can I have my Unibroue Trois Pistoles now?

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

Mohogany with a fizzly big-bubbled head that doesn't last long (could it have been the glass? jeez, that was not a good head) The beer continues to sizzle like a soda for a long time. Aroma is very metallic at first in its chilled state, much less so as it warms. A bit of fig, but more of date. Decent peppery phenolics. Rhubarb. The flavor is sweet, with too much root beerishness, probably helped by a vinous quality. Carbonation is also reminiscent of soda, and at the end there is a sugar/alcohol coating in my mouth. Overall a bit hot, yet soda-like. I have had this a few times and, while I don't remember being thrilled with it (I always preferred the red), I do not remember the blue being this lackluster. Improves a lot as it warms to room temp, so DRINK IT WARM, but still not anything memorable.

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

A-Like a cloudy mid to dark brown. Medium head that does not last long.

S-Sweet and malty. I can catch a hint of the alcohol in there.

T-A lot of malt in there with some sweetness. The alcohol tends to linger with each sip as well.

M-Carbonation level is on the high side but I do not mind that. Otherwise fairly balanced.

D-There is a bitter aftertaste that tends to linger and they did not do the greatest job hiding the alcohol content. I would say the drinkability here is below average.

Comments- Not really a strong dark ale kind of guy, but I have had others that I liked better. I would probably drink one of these again if given to me but I would not look to buy one. I think Chimay has done better with their Red and White offerings.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.