Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

1.5/5  rDev -65.1%

1.5/5  rDev -65.1%

This is our first beer here at The Beer Sellar. Thanks to Tyler McCord for setting this up. Without him, I might not have even considered The Beer Sellar as a sponsor for the 1001 Bottles project. He is a regular here, living right down the road, and has introduced me to several people here already. Everyone seems to know him… sort of his personal Cheers!

The label is, well… blue! Hence the name I suppose. This is a Trappist beer, too. Do you know what a Trappist beer is? Well it’s managed by monks basically. I just posted a blog about it; go read that!

The beer smells spicy. Spicy and wet… but promises to be a decent ale. We have been drinking a lot of Belgian beers lately. Anyway, this beer is famous. Well, Chimay is famous. It’s a famous… Trappist beer. Lots of focus on the Trappist beers thus far. But that’s okay, I dig the ales.

There is a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, but it dies quickly into a sweet treat. The aftertaste is subtle, but begs for another sip. The second drink isn’t as good, but it still leaves some huge sweet notes on the tongue. It’s pretty solid, but not sure it lives up to all the hype. There is another Chimay beer on this list; hopefully that one is better than this on. Bottoms up people!

2.09/5  rDev -51.4%

750 ml bottle. Bottle-conditioned. No sign whatsoever of a vintage date. Perhaps the code LAM - 088 on the back means something?

Despite the enticing pop of the cork, only a reluctant tan haze briefly passes for a head. The beer itself is a deep chestnut with an amber glow at the bottom and a hint of ruby at the brim.

Strong unpleasant yeasty smell, like a starter of baking yeast. As it warms the alcohol comes out in powerful winey port with overtones of raisins.

Hardly any flavor to fight off the alcohol, just a bit of sweetness up front more like maple syrup than malt. Thin and fizzy and that yeast taste pops up again in the finish.

Supposedly it benefits from aging. It could only get better.

2.19/5  rDev -49.1%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for a very long time. What a dissapointment.
750ml. bottle corked and caged. Vintage: 10/05
Poured very nicely, dark burgundy/ruby color, excellent thick head. A very inviting smell, and mouthfeel. Perhaps a hint of raisins, and a bit spicy. The taste however was almost like drinking Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Very harsh, strong, chemical alcohol taste to it. I could not finish the whole bottle. I will try this beer again, but will let it age a couple years and then see.

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer sucks. Taste's like a carbonated milkshake, and is worse than the white version. Cant believe I spent five dollars on this poor excuse of a beer, while I could of got a bomber of Stone IPA for the same price. Those monks are drinking to much of their own product, and they're drunk during the entire process. I will try again once they sober up, and quit adding cinnamon and sugar to their beers. Why is there no one monitoring these drunk monks? What a life huh, drink beer all day and wear a jedi robe.

2.34/5  rDev -45.6%

I was excited to find an aged bottle at a local store (only thing is they had it in the back of the cooler not at the temp of the other crafts. Got it home, popped the top, poured into my New Belgium globe...

Apperance - PERFECT, dark, rich and cloudy amber color, for an ALE this is perfect. The head was about one inch tall and went away quickly.

Smell - This reminded me of a cheap, woody cognac to start with. I actually sat this down and came back to it after a few minutes, afterwords I could still smell the woodiness but the fruit and florals started to become more prominent.

Taste - All I can say is watered down whiskey. Just NOT IMPRESSED.

Mouthfeel - TOO thin, no feel at all. It has the feel of water.

Drinkability - I would get something else. Very poor overall.

2.34/5  rDev -45.6%

I bought this to try because it continues to be so highly rated. I was disappointed. I poured it into a glass so I could observe the head and it was quite nice. It smelled pretty good too. The thing that really turned me off was the taste. I swear it tasted like someone put about three packets of Sweet-N-Low in every bottle. I just couldn't shake the saccharine sweetness from my palate. This one is popular, but definitely not for me.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.