Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,933 | Reviews: 2,216
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into goblet.

Appears brown with a slight maroon hue to it. A little but foamy despite a relatively slow pour with the head subsiding down to a thin effervescent slick with a thickness around the outside of the glass.

Smells a bit boozy with some grape coming through. possibly a touch of plum as well.

Tastes of fig and dried fruits - a little like prune. heavy on the malt but no real hop character detected. I imagined a bit of a deeper flavor based on reputation.

Mouthfeel has a sharp effervescence to it that mellows out and fils the throat on the way down. No real after-taste either - just a subtle bit on the tongue. One of the better aspects to this beer.

Overall I'm honestly a little disappointed. I've heard of this as an A+ type of beer - world class and loved by many - but found it to just be "good." I wonder if a larger corked bottle is a different experience. I also imagine this beer might be a little different after it warms up a bit after the chill wears off.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a hazy brown with a light tan/white head, a slight hue of red, but not much. Aroma isn;t too strong, but it has that trademark dark belgian estery aroma of sweetness but not a lot. Taste also has common Belgian dark taste but its not super up front like you often find it to be. Some dark fruit flavor (dark cherry, etc). Its subdued and doesn't linger long. Its sort of a dry taste, like a dry brute champagne. Its nice that its not too overwhelming. A bit boozey. Mouth is crisp and very carbonated. Dry champagne feeling, again.
The dryness is nice and its also good that it isnt overpowering with the belgian dark flavor.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours the color of strong iced tea. Thick, dense, tan foamy head that lasts for quite a few minutes and eventually fades to a 1/8 inch layer. Roasted malts dominate the nose with spruce undertones. Great mouthfeel. Feels heavier in the mouth than it looks. Nice alcohol warmth. Smooth hop bitterness plays around in the back of my mouth. Really great balance. Caramels & mollasses too. Well carbonated and creamy.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Real nice, smooth beer. I prefer this one cold - fresh out of the fridge. Very thirst quenching at colder temps, with a very balanced, but muted flavor profile (fruits and alcohol). The alcohol dominates as the brew warms up, both in taste and aroma.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from an 11.02 ounce bottle into a chalice.

Pours a medium chocolate with a rocky, pillowy head. Bubbles rush from the base of the chalice to the head. Looks good.

Nose is malt with chocolate and sweet bread. Lovely notes of caramel and toffee backed with sourdough undertones. The aroma is making my mouth water.

Taste is beautiful delicious malt in abundance. Sweet and bready, giving way to a complex grain profile thats hard to place. Yeast is almost sour, small notes of fruit. Chewy dates, raisins and a hint of plum. Warming alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and full. The carbonation is soft and gives a nice fluffy feel on the tongue which blasts the sweet malt profile to the edges of the tongue and rounds out the flavor.

Drinkability is good as the taste is wonderful, however at 9% it may get ahead of you fast.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Boulevard Brewing Co tulip glass I use when reviewing special beers, primarily Belgians. Nice plop from the cork, a strong indication of the carbonation level to come. Nice fizz with a thick head that dissipates very quickly. Very dark amber color, hints of ruby red. when held up to the light. Mouth feel is a little excessive from the carbonation. It could mellow a bit with more cellar time, like several months: I bought this one only two weeks ago and have been itching to try it.. Not real sure about this at first, wasn't at all what I expected. Starting to like it more and more with each sip. Noticing sherry, caramel, VERY mild hops, dark Belgian candy sugar. Nicely blended, well-crafted, a very good desert beer with chocolate. Alcohol content is hidden well, but still present. The only "knock" for lack of a better term would be very mild smell, and the slight over-carbonation of this particular bottle at this time. Smell would take away from the complexity of the blend. I really can see it mellowing with age and moving up a couple of notches. As the glass sits for a couple of minutes and the carbonation dissipates, the true nature of this beer comes out, especially the sherry, caramel roasted malt and the complexity of the blend..

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep brown color with 2 fingers of off white head. No lacing and little bit of carbonation evident.

s - Smells sweet of dark fruits, yeast, some spices, and a little bit of alcohol.

t - Dark fruits, yeast, alcohol, malts, and hints of spice. Pretty nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Feels pretty good.

d - A very nice Belgian. Considering the somewhat low price and the fact that it is readily available in many grocery and beer stores, this is a great beer. Very nice dark fruit and yeast smell/taste, and has a great feel to it. Will definitely have again sometime.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Stubby 11.2 oz. brown bottle.

Dark chestnut brown with ruby hilights. Cream colored head that dwindles to 1/4". Visible carbonation, though most of it is derived from the etching in the center of the bottom of its namesake's chalice.

The scents are figgy and a bit of boozy alcohol. A few swirls evoke deep & sweet malts with a hint of nougat. Vanilla and a little sourness creep up as well.

Bold yet soft flavors of pruins and mollases with a slighty acrid with a mineraly, flinty, stoney thing going on. The alcohol is somewhat well-hidden, but it's there a little bit. Some yeasty esters give it a micro amount of tartness too. Some chocolate & lots of spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is superb. Fine and just the right amount of playful carbonation with a medium body. Spicy and semi-dry flavorful finish.

Drinkability is good. I'm content with my one small bottle though. God help the person who drinks seeral of these in one sitting (emphasis on 'sitting').

I've had this ale many times, but this is the first time in at least 4-5 years (and my first time formally reviewing it). It could be my pallet, but I'm willing to wager this ale has been dumbed-down as of late. I remember this ale bursting with flavor with lots of layers and complex as all get-out. The spiciness is still there, but the richness seems to have waned. This bottle is fairly fresh (I'm guess less than 6 months old) so maybe the ale I remember thoroughly enjoying might have had some age on it? Still, a very solid Quad from an excellent and 'heavenly' brewery. I'd never turn a Chimay down. Ever.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle served in small goblets on 7/22.

Excellent pour with a tanish head and dark brown body that sustains color and smell throughout.

Mild beer with alcohol present at the start, with a mild fig and brown sugar, spices and typical Belgian flavors that make a sweet, almost wine-like feel in the mouth. Very nice malt balance with a clean and crisp taste throughout.

Overall, the alcohol presents a warming, but not at the expense of taste. Very easy trappist to drink, and easily found at liquor stores. Very nice beer.

I would always look for one of these to enjoy with friends, breads and cheeses. Great beer - buy it, its a great priced beer for what it tastes like.

Cheers.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Poured into a Chimay goblet; tan quickly dissipating head. From the side the body is an opaque brown mahogany. From the top, though, it is a speckled brown--lots of yeast particles, gold on the outside and darker toward the center.
S: Smells of molasses, brown sugar, dark fruits, raisins, and some spiciness.
T: Dark fruits--mostly raisins and figs-- are predominate. Also a lot of spiciness present.
M: Good and thick but not sticky. An alcohol bite at the end, but it mixes well with the spiciness.
D: Could maybe have a couple goblets, but too flavorful to have much more than that.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Deep mahogany color that is a tad cloudy. The beer pours with about an inch of off white foam that looks like it is going to stick around. The beer is so dark that you can't really tell if there are any bubbles rising. You would assume that there are because the head lasts so long.

Aroma: Perhaps my senses aren't in the best shape right now, but the aroma is really mild to me. I get a bit of toasty aromas along with a tad of raisin or plum, and that is about it.

Taste: I am probably going to have to edit my review and give this beer another shot with a fresher palate. Right now I get a resiny /syrupy impression that is made much lighter by the adequate carbonation. There isn't one flavor that is noticeable above the rest, so that is what makes a world-class beer...right?

Opinion: I am a bit shocked that my palate is so blasted. I have been drinking Saisons tonight, so this beer is really smooth and clean in comparison. I have drank this beer on many occasions, and I'll plan to score it according to how I know it to be. I'll be back soon, and I'll plan to make this beer my first of the evening.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A beautiful hazelnut coloured brew. In the light, a nice bright hue is present. A muted smell of smoky coffee. Tastes alcoholic yet pleasant, malty yet refined. A truly polished creation. The monks really thought this one through. Prost!

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Poured into my Chimay glass (from a cool sampler pack from Christmas) this one is much like the red, but with more plum tones, so it is slightly darker. Carbonation creates a frothy center half dollar shaped circle in the center.

Smell: Mostly yeast and grape.

Taste: Much like the red with more alcohol an not as sweet, but very similar qualities overall.

Mouthfeel: Nice crisp texture.

Drinkability: I'm positive this will not be my last Chimay Blue, especially since it is getting served in more restaurants locally.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

1986 stub bottle. Man, I wish I could post the photo of this one. Rusted cap, disintegrating label. After my pour, the section of label that had touched my hand was attached and looked like pieces of ash. Just wonderful. Prepare to read "for its age" a lot.

A - Interesting. The bottle opened with a nice hiss. Poured a light brown, lighter of course than a fresh pour. Acceptable amount of lacing, which returned upon sifting. For its age, it looks great.

S - Not quite as much musty aroma as I'd expected, but it's there. Little bit of bread, little bit of malt. Not too powerful.

T - Actually pretty good. The flavors have combined well together and created a smooth flavor. The dust flavor upfront and significant dryness at the end made this interesting for me.

M - Well it couldn't be much better for its age, but it could certainly be worse. A little thin, but that's because most of the body was stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

O - I'm giving this one an exceptional overall score. I'd happily drink it again, but that could be more of a personal preference than a recommendation. From my experiences, drink this one in the 5-8 year range, or somewhere after the 11 year area and before the 25 year area once it gets better again.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

This is the first of the 3 Chimay's I have tried. The other 2 reviews will follow in the future.

11.2 oz tiny bottle poured into oversized wine glass.

A: Muddied brown with huge chunks of yeast in suspension. Nice fluffy head the quickly recedes into a ring of lace.

S: Pretty much just yeast. Slight malt perhaps. No alcohol smell until the beer warms.

T: Super smooth, malty goodness. Some dark fruits, not overly sweet. Mild alcohol flavor. Mildly complex, less than most Belgians I have tried.

M: Medium body and smooth, creamy texture. Lighter carbonation. Not much alcohol aftertaste.

D: One of the most "drinkable" Belgians, very mainstream and crossover-ish. Not as complex as many others, but a good beer nontheless.

Good beer that I will get in the future. Definately want 750's from now on since the baby bottle is too small.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

A: A half-inch head rests on top of an opaque chestnut body. The head fades quickly leaving a restful remnant in the center.
S: A rich alcohol smell comes quickly. It smells warm, sweet, and inviting.
T: Like the smell, it is sweet and warm leaving the taste of roasted chestnuts on the palate and in the throat. Alcohol warms the mouth and throat. Although seemingly simple it is pleasant to the senses and enjoyable.
M: Light carbonation is appropriate and pairs nicely with the high alcohol content and taste.
D: I'm a little concerned about my ability to finish this bomber by myself tonight, but with proper pacing, this should be a proper beer for a long night of reading.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

3 of the bottles out of the holiday chimay pack and I like this the best of the three, but I'd say the red and this share the same weaknesses keeping me from giving them a higher rating.

Appearance is similar to the red (red/orange hues with some light head). The smell is sort of muted; it has some dark fruit and a bit of spiciness, but it isn't coming through very strong.

The taste has some more punch to it which is welcomed. It has the spices and dark fruit with light carbonation. There is also a bit of alcohol on the finish, but its hidden pretty nicely.

Mouthfeel is a little weak at first but has a nice crisp finish, and the drinkability like the other chimay's is very high. Overall I'd say if you're gonna go Chimay go Blue, or if you're eating and want something a little tamer go with the White.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

After watching a Master Pairings with a 12 yr old Chimay I've wanted to try it. I bought 2, one to try and one to age 12 yrs like on the show...

Bomber poured into a Chimay glass.

A:Pours a dark reddish brown. 1 finger head. Slight lacing on the glass.

S:Not getting a ton of smell actually. Some hints of sweet dark fruits and that's about it.

T: Smooth creamy sweetness. Its tremendous. Dark Fruits really shine.

M: Thick, creamy medium bodied. Light carbonation which creates a tingle.

O: Fantastic representation of a Belgian Strong Ale. Highly recommend it and looking forward to trying an aged version.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Really nice amber color, finger and a half thick head, champaign like carbonation.
Malty, honey with a slight sweetness on the way down. This is a champaign like beer, one of my favorites by far.

Overall, ignore the price tag and get you some, if you think Budweiser is the king of beers, you are lost. Chimay is my favorite beer so far will definitely need another bottle.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Dark red in color. Pours with a thick brown rocky head, that recedes relatively quickly, yet beer looks active after head recession

S- Not super strong smell, though what little smell is there, is that of a malty sweet beer

T- Excellent. Smooth sweet malty deliciousness, that grabs ahold of your mouth a lingers for a few seconds after swallowed

M- Smooth. Little carbonation... considering how active the beer looks. Leaves a lingering malty taste in your mouth

D- Very drinkable. Smooth and tasty

CHEERS!

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 750 ml corked and caged 2007 bottle into my snifter. $13.99 for the bottle marks the most I've paid for a single bottle of beer to date.

A- The beer pours a deep dark caramel brown color, with a fizzy 1 inch head, looks like this beer isn't lacking as far carbonation is concerned.
S- Smells belgian. Spicy with sweet caramel malts and tons of dark fruits.
T- Just like the aroma tons of dark fruit in the taste (plums, raisins, figs). The sweet caramel malts are noticeable in the taste as well. Also, I was surprised by how spicy the taste was.
M- Thick, creamy, rich and highly carbonated. A noticeable alcohol warmth is left coating the tongue and throat that reminds that Chimay is meant to be enjoyed slowly.
D- I'm honestly glad I'm sharing the 750 ml bottle, I don't think I'd want to drink the whole thing on my own. It would be too much of a good thing.

The price of this bottle of beer will probably keep me away in the future except for special occasions. It was great, but I don't see myself drinking it on a regular basis.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours an opaque brown color. Very thin head that is an off-white color.

Smells like dark fruits, cider, cinnamon and other spices.

Tastes fruity with a little bit of spice all rounded out by the sweetness. Reminds me of a wine, or what I think wine should be.

Mouthfeel is thin and has little carbonation.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

I'm not a big Chimay fan per se. However, this Grand Reserve is the stuff. The pour is noteable as it has an extremely creamy haed and dark, rich looking color. The nose is in my opinion quite crisp and sweetly spicy. After my fisrt few sips I had a msile on my face. The mouthfeel is quite smooth and the taste is complex. I picked up a mild choclate and citrus back end with a touch of hop. I'm certain the yeat is giving me the citrus.

Good Brew, definietly woth the price, and I intend to get some more of this.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle, best before 2018.

Body is chestnut colored, lots of foam, some even oozing out of the bottle. Average retention with minimal lacing, expected more. The rest is great though. Inviting aroma including spices, flavor is rich with dark plums, candied fruits, fruit cake and a bit of sugar. Overall, a great ale, just needs work on the appearance.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.