Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
BcOneSeven

07-20-2014 14:09:53 | More by BcOneSeven
gentlebubbles

2.08/5  rDev -51.6%

750 ml bottle. Bottle-conditioned. No sign whatsoever of a vintage date. Perhaps the code LAM - 088 on the back means something?

Despite the enticing pop of the cork, only a reluctant tan haze briefly passes for a head. The beer itself is a deep chestnut with an amber glow at the bottom and a hint of ruby at the brim.

Strong unpleasant yeasty smell, like a starter of baking yeast. As it warms the alcohol comes out in powerful winey port with overtones of raisins.

Hardly any flavor to fight off the alcohol, just a bit of sweetness up front more like maple syrup than malt. Thin and fizzy and that yeast taste pops up again in the finish.

Supposedly it benefits from aging. It could only get better.

11-24-2004 23:25:07 | More by gentlebubbles
sauron681

Wisconsin

2.17/5  rDev -49.5%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for a very long time. What a dissapointment.
750ml. bottle corked and caged. Vintage: 10/05
Poured very nicely, dark burgundy/ruby color, excellent thick head. A very inviting smell, and mouthfeel. Perhaps a hint of raisins, and a bit spicy. The taste however was almost like drinking Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Very harsh, strong, chemical alcohol taste to it. I could not finish the whole bottle. I will try this beer again, but will let it age a couple years and then see.

01-12-2006 02:09:58 | More by sauron681
VDODSON

North Dakota

2.2/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer sucks. Taste's like a carbonated milkshake, and is worse than the white version. Cant believe I spent five dollars on this poor excuse of a beer, while I could of got a bomber of Stone IPA for the same price. Those monks are drinking to much of their own product, and they're drunk during the entire process. I will try again once they sober up, and quit adding cinnamon and sugar to their beers. Why is there no one monitoring these drunk monks? What a life huh, drink beer all day and wear a jedi robe.

02-19-2013 20:22:35 | More by VDODSON
jds1469

Indiana

2.23/5  rDev -48.1%

I was excited to find an aged bottle at a local store (only thing is they had it in the back of the cooler not at the temp of the other crafts. Got it home, popped the top, poured into my New Belgium globe...

Apperance - PERFECT, dark, rich and cloudy amber color, for an ALE this is perfect. The head was about one inch tall and went away quickly.

Smell - This reminded me of a cheap, woody cognac to start with. I actually sat this down and came back to it after a few minutes, afterwords I could still smell the woodiness but the fruit and florals started to become more prominent.

Taste - All I can say is watered down whiskey. Just NOT IMPRESSED.

Mouthfeel - TOO thin, no feel at all. It has the feel of water.

Drinkability - I would get something else. Very poor overall.

01-11-2011 01:47:26 | More by jds1469

12-25-2013 01:10:42 | More by Phil_H
bigpatvoodoodad

South Carolina

2.3/5  rDev -46.5%

I bought this to try because it continues to be so highly rated. I was disappointed. I poured it into a glass so I could observe the head and it was quite nice. It smelled pretty good too. The thing that really turned me off was the taste. I swear it tasted like someone put about three packets of Sweet-N-Low in every bottle. I just couldn't shake the saccharine sweetness from my palate. This one is popular, but definitely not for me.

01-16-2008 15:24:37 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
hero27

2.38/5  rDev -44.7%

Appearance: Looks good in the glass. Head explodes from the bottom of the glass and creates a large, but modest, foamy head. Leaves virtually no lacing, though. Color is very dark and muddy.

Smell: Figures...I hear so many good things about this beer and find out that it's just another spicy belgian. Smell is of hefty malts and clove.

Taste: I don't like spices, and this beer is no exception. It's my personal opinion and I don't mean to drag down the rating of a "good" beer, but spices are simply not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: I'll give it some credit.. it's smooth for a relatively high-alcohol beer. Little carbonation.

Drinkability: The 9% ABV is a plus, as I like a little kick to my beers, but lends the drinkability an average rating.

Overall, I'm obviously dissapointed, and kinda pissed off. I mean, some Belgians I've had have been superb, and some have been not to my liking at all. I read reviews and it's hard to tell because everyone has different tastes. When I originally started drinking more hoppy beers, I didn't really like them much, but now I adore them. However, I really don't think this is a taste I will become accustomed to. Spices/cloves are something that I think should have their place in food, not in my beer.

01-10-2005 21:58:40 | More by hero27

kevrice88

06-11-2013 00:35:44 | More by kevrice88
GbVDave

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a 150cl bottle into a Chimay chalice. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a cloudy reddish brown, dirty appearance, zero head. Hmmm.

S: Big whack of sickly sweet malt with an off-smelling red wine aroma. This is starting to look not so good.

T: Sweet malty flavors mixed with chocolate and that off putting red wineyness. Slightly sour (not in a good way) and finally a tiny bit of cola.

M: Smooth and rich, the lone bright spot of this beer.

D: Not so much...was this bottle bad? Or is this how it is? We were very, very disappointed with this.

11-13-2007 01:42:06 | More by GbVDave
PopScene

France

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

1.5L bottle from 2011.

Most overrated beer i have drink.
Not bad but really far from a rochefort 8 or a st-bernardus 10.

The appearence is really beautifull for the style but when it comes to the smell, it's just a little bit about caramel and apricot but no more. The taste doesn't offer more than the smell but alcohol is quite well hidden. The mourhfeel is OK.

Finally, i think there are really more interesting beers in this type.

06-09-2011 20:21:48 | More by PopScene
bobhits

Kentucky

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Ah Trappest so far I’ve found this word to mean “awful beer.” Lets see if my memory of this “grand reserve” are justified.

Pours a deep rusted dark orange/red color. The head is full of tiny little bubbles often associated with pour head retention and lacing, but none of that here. A strong head and nice lacing all around. I made some effort to decant for the appearance, but this one is murky.

Sour hops and weak malt are the opening. Alcohol makes itself noticed as well. A sort of rum and spice with some dark fruits is in here but this aroma is normally far far better.

The flavors are far more enjoyable than the nose thankfully. Extremely complex blend of slight bitterness, sour notes, spices, and malt perfectly placed to not distract but enhance the other flavors. I can certainly see aging this beer for a decade to kill the hops and bring out the malt more. I’m not a huge malt lover, but here the hops are pleasant and really the different flavors don’t fully mingle well. Bottle if I’m reading it correctly is around a year old.

Those tight bubbles make for an over carbonated mouthfeel, but far making the beer hard to consume. Body some off rather medium to style because of this and as a result it isn’t good or bad.

Certainly not as bad as I recall which means I’m becoming more and more tolerant to these odd flavors. That said one should expect more based on the hype, cost, and well the reputation of Trappest beers. Oh and just a bit of advice to Chimay, this beer should be served in 6-7 oz bottles. This 11.2 oz bottle is far too big.

09-18-2011 19:59:16 | More by bobhits
Crymar

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

I'm a beer lover, not a beer expert nor gourmet. Maybe my taste buds were destroyed by too much Busch in my college days. I tried to like this beer but couldn't. It seemed over-carbonated and it seemed to have a raw alcohol taste. Maybe i'm not used to 9 percent beer, maybe the monks had a bad day, or maybe I'm just a low-brow beer lover. I will give it another chance.

06-11-2014 17:23:44 | More by Crymar
IrishRedRock

2.73/5  rDev -36.5%

Ehhhhh I expected more out of this. Pours nearly black with a thin lace on top. This will kick you square in the balls at 9% and that alcohol taste is prevalent. I found the taste very similar to Duvel, but much more bitter. Duvel is good...this stuff was not.

06-23-2002 14:57:12 | More by IrishRedRock
obiwan_k3n00bi

2.75/5  rDev -36%

03-10-2014 17:27:17 | More by obiwan_k3n00bi
jim102864

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -36%

Poured this Belgian strong dark into my Chimay goblet. Appropriate enough, heh? This corked and caged 1.9 oz bottle with the blue label was cork-dated 2006. The label lacked any information as to exactly when it was brewed which might have something to do with the average experience I had with this beer. Upon pouring, I noted an active head, lots of carbonation and thus bubbles, yet the head disapaited very quickly. A bit of a disappointment. Nonetheless, some lace did web the glass and I moved on to the nose which was...modest to barely noticeable. Some whispers of aged fruit (maybe) but really nothing else. This of course had a lot to do with the taste which was very subtle. Notes of aged prunes and raisens but not much else. Sure, some candied sugar caught my attention but what a ho-hum taste. Mouthfeel was as uneventful as the aroma and taste. Watery comes to mind. No viscous blanket to the tongue. Nada. It's drinkable I suppose, but I don't think this is a beer I will seek out again. Maybe it was a maturity thing. Maybe not. A snooze fest that I will not purchase a ticket for again anytime soon.

04-15-2007 16:26:27 | More by jim102864
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.