Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Ah Trappest so far I’ve found this word to mean “awful beer.” Lets see if my memory of this “grand reserve” are justified.

Pours a deep rusted dark orange/red color. The head is full of tiny little bubbles often associated with pour head retention and lacing, but none of that here. A strong head and nice lacing all around. I made some effort to decant for the appearance, but this one is murky.

Sour hops and weak malt are the opening. Alcohol makes itself noticed as well. A sort of rum and spice with some dark fruits is in here but this aroma is normally far far better.

The flavors are far more enjoyable than the nose thankfully. Extremely complex blend of slight bitterness, sour notes, spices, and malt perfectly placed to not distract but enhance the other flavors. I can certainly see aging this beer for a decade to kill the hops and bring out the malt more. I’m not a huge malt lover, but here the hops are pleasant and really the different flavors don’t fully mingle well. Bottle if I’m reading it correctly is around a year old.

Those tight bubbles make for an over carbonated mouthfeel, but far making the beer hard to consume. Body some off rather medium to style because of this and as a result it isn’t good or bad.

Certainly not as bad as I recall which means I’m becoming more and more tolerant to these odd flavors. That said one should expect more based on the hype, cost, and well the reputation of Trappest beers. Oh and just a bit of advice to Chimay, this beer should be served in 6-7 oz bottles. This 11.2 oz bottle is far too big.

bobhits, Sep 18, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

I'm a beer lover, not a beer expert nor gourmet. Maybe my taste buds were destroyed by too much Busch in my college days. I tried to like this beer but couldn't. It seemed over-carbonated and it seemed to have a raw alcohol taste. Maybe i'm not used to 9 percent beer, maybe the monks had a bad day, or maybe I'm just a low-brow beer lover. I will give it another chance.

Crymar, Jun 11, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -36.5%

Ehhhhh I expected more out of this. Pours nearly black with a thin lace on top. This will kick you square in the balls at 9% and that alcohol taste is prevalent. I found the taste very similar to Duvel, but much more bitter. Duvel is good...this stuff was not.

IrishRedRock, Jun 23, 2002

obiwan_k3n00bi, Mar 10, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -36%

Poured this Belgian strong dark into my Chimay goblet. Appropriate enough, heh? This corked and caged 1.9 oz bottle with the blue label was cork-dated 2006. The label lacked any information as to exactly when it was brewed which might have something to do with the average experience I had with this beer. Upon pouring, I noted an active head, lots of carbonation and thus bubbles, yet the head disapaited very quickly. A bit of a disappointment. Nonetheless, some lace did web the glass and I moved on to the nose which was...modest to barely noticeable. Some whispers of aged fruit (maybe) but really nothing else. This of course had a lot to do with the taste which was very subtle. Notes of aged prunes and raisens but not much else. Sure, some candied sugar caught my attention but what a ho-hum taste. Mouthfeel was as uneventful as the aroma and taste. Watery comes to mind. No viscous blanket to the tongue. Nada. It's drinkable I suppose, but I don't think this is a beer I will seek out again. Maybe it was a maturity thing. Maybe not. A snooze fest that I will not purchase a ticket for again anytime soon.

jim102864, Apr 15, 2007

romulus523, Jun 20, 2014

Jim_DemonDeacon, Jul 04, 2012

Sandbarunner, Sep 03, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -36%

Bought this in a 3-pack which included one of each Chimay variety plus a glass for around $11.00. Yesterday, I tried their Tripel and didn't really like it. I like this Blue better than the Tripel, but I can definently tell Belgian ales aren't my thing. Appearance is really dark, not quite coffee colored, but close. Head is moderate height, but quite creamy. The head never quite goes away and leaves a thin layer on top of the beer. Smell is of spices, slight apple smell. Taste is mainly of spices, reminds me of something I'd have around Christmas. Smoother than the tripel I had yesterday, but similiar. 9% alcohol is barely tasted, but noted by a warming of my stomach. Overall, I now know this isn't a style of beer for me, so I probably won't get it again.

Gagnonsux, Jul 11, 2004

2ellas, Apr 03, 2014

SpencerLanham, Jun 11, 2012

rxeight, Sep 13, 2013

soroka24, Aug 18, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

My last Chimay it pours a dark reddish brown with nice light tan head. Aroma dark fruits, grape wine like with hints of alcohol. Taste of alcohol with a sudden burst of carbonation obscures most of flavor that is present. Malt hints of dark fruit, grape, and candy like about all I could find threw the alcohol. Mouthfeel is fine to much carbonation otherwise pretty good. Drinkability is bad could of had 2 12oz of Trois Pistoles for the price of this one 11.2 oz and they would have been more the twice as good.

mntlover, Sep 07, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a deep, mahogany color. Great big head on top. Decent lacing. Sulfury and yeasty aroma. Reminds me of the dregs of a fermenter. Not a lot there that stands out. A lot of malt upfront flavor wise. Spicy and peppery throughout. I find it fairly one dimensional. The typical "Belgian" yeasts flavor dominates the whole thing. Theres nothing too discernable. Ok body for the style. An average beer overall. Theres some much better beers of this style out there. This just seems like the Sam Adams of Belgians to me. Nothing special and doesnt take too many chances.

lackenhauser, Jun 25, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -33.7%

Chimay Grand Réserve. L08-436 consumed on September 4, 2011.

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours clear deep ruby with two-inch head that collapses quickly and leaves no appreciable lacing. Exuberant effervesce.

S: Treacle, dark, dried fruits such as raisins and figs, caramel. Additional aromas include cherry, port and oxidation.

T: Taste is much more mellow than I expected, with the individual characteristics evident in the smell having been worn down. This beer is also drier than my nose lead me to believe, and that is also to the detriment to this beer. Dark bread, caramel, raisins, and spice are the main players. Mild bitterness joins in before a finish that has a strange numbing antiseptic note flashing across palate.

M: Medium body and medium-light carbonation. Light and thin on palate.

O: For a beer that shares the great smells I associate with world-class English barleywines and doppelbocks, Chimay Grand Réserve certainly disappoints me in other categories. It is not bad, per se, but definitely not impressive.

Wadsey, Sep 05, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -33%

Chimay chalice. 2010 vintage.

A: pours with a bit of head which rapidly diminishes. Some lacing but not too much. For the style the lack of head retention is pathetic. And after 10 minutes there's no lacing left either. 2.5

S: Nose is not potent at all. This follows a Bernardus Abt with a best By of 06/08/14 and the flavour in the St Bernardus was just so much more potent to the extent that the beers are not comparable in any way. There's a bit of yeast and some winey notes and alcohol but apart from that the nose is simply incredibly weak. I think partly it's that the head dies down too quick to get any lasting flavour notes. 2.5

T: Some sort of Belgian chemically solventy flavours mainly. Not unpleasant but not really impressive or enjoyable in any way. At least there is some flavour here, unlike in the nose. Also some yeast. 3

M: Relatively thick and creamy actually. 4

D: Honestly not an enjoyable or well flavoured beer. Can certainly drink it but it lacks flavour. This is the second bottle I've had of the 2010 vintage, and the first (a 750mL) ended up being a drainpour. I've previously enjoyed Chimay Blue. I also enjoyed both the Chimay Red and White which came in the same tasting pack. I just don't know what's wrong with the Chimay Blue now, it's supposed to be their flagship beer but I can quite honestly say it's just a bad beer at present. Carbonation dies down too quickly (I'm staring at the glass within 10 minutes of opening the bottle and there is 0 head left, a far cry from the Bernardus Abt where the head lasted for 50 minutes or so), flavour is muted. Maybe there's been some problems in bottling but they've occurred repeatedly and I've no problems marking down this most overrated of beers. 2.5

danieelol, Jan 14, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Like a lot of others, I really looked forward to trying this beer. The appearance was a very nice brown with a lace head. The smell was inviting but the taste was too much like wine for me. The alcohol is very strong in the taste. For these reasons, it is not very drinkable beer for me.

HAB, Sep 29, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Umm goot ol chimay bluaw. I do dig this beer but 1st of I would have to say do not mix this stuff with any other types of beer in the same night of drinking.

Appearance is damn amazing , has lots of floating bubbles and does stay fresh along time after pourn into chimay cup. Somewhat cloudy and dark but overall nice.

Smell is pretty decent has a good belgian sence with a bit of a darker side due to it being "Bluaw"!

Taste is good , did remind me of a good wheat beer but a had to been a bit sour or something.

Mouthfeel is pretty good you can drink this and not mind it for awhile.

But drinkability if another factor ... goes down sour with a bunch of old chimay yeast floating in the bottle's. I do repeat do not mix this with any other beer or you'll be puking it up that night.

Stay safe and drink da bluaw with easy.

Gaben, Nov 07, 2005
2.96/5  rDev -31.2%

jlenderman, Oct 15, 2014
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.