Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

330ml bottle poured into Chimay chalice

A: Pours a deep burnt red, ruby when held to light. One finger head that leaves very little lacing, quite a bit of carbonation. Looks great in the proper glass!

S: Rich, fruity aroma. Dark fruits and berries dominate, with a bready and malty presence too. It smells thick and full, and is pretty complex. Very inviting.

T: Sweet - very very fruity, once again getting berries. Surprisingly, got a definite taste of apple towards the end of the glass after every swirl. Malty too. I think I got a slight hint of toffee, hidden in the maltiness. Very complex, yielded new flavours as it got warmer and less carbonated.

M: Full bodied and rich. Slightly dry, very satisfying. Carbonation is initially lively on the tongue. Warming sensation of the alcohol lovely.

Overall: Stellar. One of my favourites now. It's been a while since I had the Premiére, so I'll have to try that again soon to compare, but the G.R. could very well be better in my opinion. Either way an extremely enjoyable beer, one that I would strongly recommend. A must for any Belgian Ale fan (or just ale fan in general). I've heard much about how this beer ages, so I'll definitely be buying a few more to cellar.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Dark Cherry Red almost clear beer.

S: No dominant scent.

T: Quite foam feeling good bitter aftertaste. Even some sweet recognizable.

M: Good mouthfeel and good carbonation.

O: Although it is a good beer, I had just expected a little bit more. But that could also because I had some more beers today.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a small bottle into a proper Chimay chalice. The bottle was a slight gusher, but I managed to capture all of it without spilling any. The beer was a dark burnt orange color with an absolutely dreamy sandy-white head. It was big and frothy and never EVER left the top of the beer. From the top down, this beer looked like a milkshake. The nose was yeasty and bready and had hints of berries.

Taste is malty and fruity. There are slightly sweet bready, malty notes and some fruit flavors. I get primarily berries, plums, raisins, and a slight touch of ginger. The carbonation is quite high and really excites your tastebuds and complements the creamy feel of the beer nicely. It's a joy to drink.

I decided a while ago that I would buy two bottles of this every year and store them in the basement. To date, I have bought far more than I have actually drank. I can't wait to try it with 5 or 6 years on it. I hear it's a real stunner.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.