Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,922 | Reviews: 2,216

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A dark mahogany with a luscious, creamy white-ish head with persistence and good lacing.

S: The label said to serve it slightly chilled. I let it get too cold and was getting very little in the nose, so I set it aside for about 20min and came back to it. The most prominent feature is the molasses-y sweetness. The alcohols and phenols are readily apparent. A peppery spiciness also is present. A floral bouquet.

T: Malts are syrupy sweet but also dark fruity. Some bitterness, perhaps from the malts. Persistent finish that is reminiscent of a whiskey.

M: High carbonation and considerable alcohol warmth, one or both of which contribute to the tingly-hot tongue sensation. Medium body.

Notes: I am really torn as to how I should rate this beer. It is the classic Belgian Dark Strong Ale, and yet, I struggled to enjoy it. Furthermore, the balance was lacking: the molasses sweetness completed overpowered the more subtle and delicate flavors: the esters, the phenols, the alcohols. And while I said that the finish was dry, it was hard to assess. The finish was big and almost cloying. The afterbirth was nice, whiskey-like as I said, but it took a long time to get there. This beer has the subtle flavors that are characteristic of this style, but the balance was not there. It took a deep patience to get to the subtle and complex symphony of flavors because of the misplaced child banging the cymbal of sweetness.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: This beer has a unique look to it. Rarely you get a opaque but clear amber ale. Does that make sense...YES! See for yourself. Head is THICK... comes off about 3/4 to a full inch off my glass.

Taste: I love the way this beer comes off, what I hate after doing quite a bit of servings of cheese pairing with it..just feels like it goes away. Tastes like a million bucks but spends like it. Believe me I can spend a million bucks that quickly and so can you.

Mouth: Perfect and I do mean perfect medium carbonation. After taste isn't pleasant it is what they call yummy and I do mean yummy.

Overall: Drinking half off this bottle before even looking it up, I must say....I need more. Taste is truly better than what I wrote it's just that I have had beers that the taste is in your mouth after easting slices of cheese or other foods. That doesn't mean sh1t, Chimay has made nirvana in a bottle and from me to you...lust it as much as you can!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.