Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
xpimptastikx

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours a beautiful hazy medium brown with an inch of nice khaki head. A good amount of sediment in this bottle. Smells like figs, grapes, dates, it's dark and sweet. Taste is not as fruity as the smell leads on. A good body and feeling in the mouth. Excellent drinkability for the abv and flavor. This beer will always be a belgian favorite.

10-29-2008 02:14:43 | More by xpimptastikx
Cylinsier

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 75 cl bottle. My first trappist.

The appearance is great, a deep cloudy burgundy brown, like a dark tea. Smells like dark fruits and sugars. The taste is similar but with hints of hops and and a warm alcohol after taste. The mouthfeel is tingly all the way down. I had high hopes for this since it was my first trappist and it met them. Probably the best beer I've had to date and easy to drink despite the rich flavor.

10-28-2008 22:11:13 | More by Cylinsier
jwweaver77

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 750 mL corked bottle. Drank during UFC 90.

Appearance: Very nice dark brown color with some red tint. About a finger of foam at the top.

Smell: Very heady, fruity, maybe figs?

Taste: Very smooth for such a dark beer. The malty flavor almost feels like it sticks to your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Not overly carbonated.

Drinkability: Excellent beer, One of the best I've had in a while. Was sad when the bottle was gone!

10-27-2008 17:25:31 | More by jwweaver77
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Brown body with some ruby notes in there. Opaque in the deepest center, becoming more and more translucent from there.

Some sweet dark malts that come through in the nose as dark fruits.

Very tasty beer. Dark fruits come through like figs and also apple. Sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Some notes of pepper come through also. Finishes with a great hoppy character that is grassy and earthy, noble hops. Just the tiniest bit of alcohol comes through.

Mouthfeel is very light and well-carbonated. A lively feeling that slides across the tongue very nicely.

Extremely drinkable. Maybe the most drinkable example of this style I have encountered. A great beer.

10-26-2008 15:41:22 | More by Hojaminbag
caddybuyer

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle.

A-Deep brown nearly opaque in color, with a thick tan head. Ruby highlights when held to light.

S-Yeast, raisins, figs, and mince pies, aged well in a celler, with a sweet malty undertone. An earth and organic aspect to it as well.

T-Sweet yeasty goodness with a burst of alcohol....a cornucopia of rich dark fruits, a touch of licorice, sassafras all explode across the tongue in an orgy with molasses!

M-Medium and a bit chewy, yet smooth, and slightly overcarbonated as is the Belgian way.

D-A very pleasurable and drinkable sipper which I enjoy once in awhile when I am looking for this singular drinking experience. One of a kind.

10-24-2008 23:29:21 | More by caddybuyer
davexisxrabid

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Shared a 750 mL bottle with a buddy of mine.

A slightly chilled Chimay poured beautifully into two large 16 oz. glasses, with plenty of creamy tan to brownish head that didn't dissipate for a while though not much lacing on the glass.

The aromatic bouquet was extraordinary, almost undescribable.

The taste is full bodied, a little on the thick side that coats the tounge and pleases the palate. For being such a high abv (9%) Chimay is surprising smooth and easy to drink. It definitely had a smoky characteristic much like some porter's I have tried, although much, much better.

Needless to say, my friend was amazed at its taste as well. If only I can find it on tap ... I remember Cole's in downtown Los Angeles offered on tap; that's where I first fell in love with Chimay Grande Reserve.

10-23-2008 16:22:20 | More by davexisxrabid
Shumista

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 750 ml corked and caged 2007 bottle into my snifter. $13.99 for the bottle marks the most I've paid for a single bottle of beer to date.

A- The beer pours a deep dark caramel brown color, with a fizzy 1 inch head, looks like this beer isn't lacking as far carbonation is concerned.
S- Smells belgian. Spicy with sweet caramel malts and tons of dark fruits.
T- Just like the aroma tons of dark fruit in the taste (plums, raisins, figs). The sweet caramel malts are noticeable in the taste as well. Also, I was surprised by how spicy the taste was.
M- Thick, creamy, rich and highly carbonated. A noticeable alcohol warmth is left coating the tongue and throat that reminds that Chimay is meant to be enjoyed slowly.
D- I'm honestly glad I'm sharing the 750 ml bottle, I don't think I'd want to drink the whole thing on my own. It would be too much of a good thing.

The price of this bottle of beer will probably keep me away in the future except for special occasions. It was great, but I don't see myself drinking it on a regular basis.

10-21-2008 01:10:52 | More by Shumista
techtatu

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice dark caramel brown color with a finger width cream colored head. Floral aroma is very present and very pleasing. It goes down very smooth, and sweet tastes of caramel hit my taste buds with a hint of milk chocolate. It's not too sweet, its just right.

A very good beer to drink when found and something I would definitely drink again. It is one of the few beers that is quite pleasant to drink.

10-20-2008 19:48:54 | More by techtatu
weasbri

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Big substantial head. Nice reddish-brown color. The head gives the illusion of murkiness underneath.
Mostly malty aroma. Full-flavored with raisins and maybe even a tinge of dark chocolate in the back of the mouth.
Thin layer of alcohol coats the tongue and there is a nice bite from the carbonation as well.
Tremendous beer, the only disappointment was the aroma, but it doesn't distract too much.

10-18-2008 21:17:28 | More by weasbri
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

Of all the places in the world I would expect to have my first Chimay Blue this would be one of the last of them. I'm yukata clad and sitting on the tatami mats of a ryokan in old Kyoto.

Pulling the paper screendoor open I set about looking for the utensils which will allow me to savour this Trappist wonder. I classily open it with the tines of a fork, as no bottle openers seem to be available. Poured into an earthenware teacup, which impedes the ability to judge appearance somewhat, but the 1,000 reviews below give a pretty good idea of what it looks like. Spicy aroma with lots of pitted fruit and raisins. Sweet spicy malts in the flavour, lots of dark fruit and bread. Slight alcohol presence provides warmth, but its actually very well-hidden. Full, slightly sticky body and moderate, almost subdued carbonation.

Nice brew, but it doesn't really wow me, and I think I actually prefer the tripel to this. Maybe not really worth 850Y.

10-17-2008 14:24:52 | More by bobsy
beerfairy

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Nice foam head with dark caramel color and very good carbination seen in the glass.

S - Slightly malty smell. Difficult to describe.

T - Very complex flavor with hints of chocolate and a spicy aftertaste.

M - Bitter with alcohol coating the throat. Full-bodied and incredibly rich.

D - Smooth and tasty

10-15-2008 01:38:05 | More by beerfairy
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Comes out of the tap an opaque rich chocolaty brown with a thick, fine-bubbled head. Aroma is strong and malty, and has an undertone of caramel. Flavor is thick and mouth-filling, malty with strong smoky and nutty hints and a touch of caramel and sweetness. Finish is smooth and very satisfying. Better on-tap!

10-14-2008 22:00:49 | More by Cyberkedi
Brad007

Vermont

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a dark brown color with a one-finger head. Cloudy. Carbonation seems low.

Aroma has a hint of raisin and dark fruit. Seems mellow enough upfront.

Taste is sweet and fruity with hints of raisin, dark fruit and even chocolate. A bit of alcohol burn as well.

Mouthfeel is raisin and dark fruit. Some alcohol burn.

You'll have to excuse me for what seems like a dull review. This is a very nice beer that could use some aging. Carbonation seems high in the taste and I just think it would taste better if that mellowed out. Otherwise, worth a try if you like this style.

10-11-2008 04:20:24 | More by Brad007
pwsoldier

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Note: The store that I bought this from is one that I have to ride my bicycle to and from, hence the sediment got disturbed considerably and consequently was poured into the glass with the beer.

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice, yeast and all.

A - Dark, cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin film of bubbles. Virtually no lacing to speak of.

S - Tons of dark fruit. Cherries, plums, and berries are joined by more subtle earthy tones from the yeast.

T - Dark fruits persist and dominate the palate. Some red apple comes through as it warms. Bready yeast flavors and a hint of brown suger are present throughout. The complex sweetness presented by the different fruit flavors is impressive.

M - Full-bodied and incredibly rich. The yeast added a great deal of creaminess to it. I'm actually glad that I wasn't able to keep it in the bottle.

D - Very smooth and absolutely delicious. The alcohol remains completely hidden. This is a great beer for those nights when you're craving something refined and complex.

10-10-2008 03:38:05 | More by pwsoldier
beachbum1975

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Today is an important day for me... I am marking my 150th review for tomorrow - when my wife and I have our third child (and our second boy!). Initially, I wanted to have some friends over and crack my Firestone Walker 11th for this special pre-day celebration day, but because my wife isn't doing so hot at the moment and doesn't have the capacity to entertain, the 11th will be saved for another day soon!

Presented in a cute, 11.2 ounce brown bottle. The only evidence of a batch or born on date states "L08-010". Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice at the recommended 45 degrees.

A: Pours a super cloudy, root beer brown with a medium sized bubbled, fizzy light tan head. As the beer pours, I can hear the champagne-like fizzing. The initial foamy heads dissipates quickly leaving small eddie-like formations of tan fizzy bubble oo the surface as I type - unique.

S: Ahh yes, the lovely smell of a fine Trappist beer returns. Wonderful mix of super white bread/dough yeasts with faint hints of dark fruits and molasses. A real treat on the nose.

T/M: Champagne-like, super light body with high amounts of carbonation throughout the entire glass. Interestingly Light bodied - yet complex variety of flavors including molasses, black licorice, figs and an almost root beet/sassafras quality - a real treat on the palate. Per the label, 9% ABV, but where is it? Ahh, there it is... toward the bottom of the beer, the warmth from the alcohol shows up. I can see how this one would improve with age now... My, that's hidden well.

Overall, this is your classic sipper. This one's intended to be enjoyed slowly and savored - very nice.

10-08-2008 22:02:52 | More by beachbum1975
unclejimbay

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Chimay Grande Reserve Blue, 9/14, small bottle poured into tulip glass
Belgian Strong Dark Ale, ABV = 9.0%, cals unknown

A-4.0, dark malty cloudy color, okay head, but went away quicker than "usual" could be the small bottle?
S-4.0, malty smell, subtle sweetness in the background like caramelized sugars
T-4.5 - Malty, hints of sweetness, caramelized candy and apple notes in background
MF-4.0, soft, smooth balanced on palate, some noticeable carbonation on finish, slightly bitter on finish
4.5 - I really dig all Chimay products, their history and the pay it forward feel-goody-ness that your consumption goes to a good cause!

10-08-2008 18:00:41 | More by unclejimbay
MisterClean

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Beer tasting at the Shack

A - Chocolate foam, brown body, looks semi-unfiltered, and leaves nice lacing.

S - Bread, plums, and dark candi sugars.

T - Bread, figs, plums, dark candi sugars, and slight earthiness.

M - Perfect. Flawless. The malt and hops meld together so well and is much better than the nose where the hops are non-existant.

D - Very drinkable. Don't be deceived, check out the ABV.

10-08-2008 04:54:39 | More by MisterClean
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Dark hazy brown color with a good creamy light brown head.
S - Very sweet and fruity aroma
T - This has very balanced flavor between the sweet malts and fruity flavors. I liken the fruits to a tart apple. There is also a presence of an alcohol flavor.
M - medium bodied with good carbonation that cleans the palate.
D - Goes down well.

10-08-2008 02:56:59 | More by BeenJammin
bluemoonswoon

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle poured slowly into a St. Bernardus (the blasphemy [SP?] !?!!?!!?!) goblet.

A: Slightly chill hazed, slight bit of sediment made its way into the beer, but otherwise clear and dark, sort of cola-like with just as much head and just as lasting. Sort of dissapointed with the look of this one so far.

S: Doughy sweetness, figs, dates, and cloves.

T/MF: Tight, prickly carbonation, full bodied but quite a bit bubbly, like champagne bubbly. Spicy, not too sweet, there is some bit of it in the close but spice and a mild alcoholic heat take up most of the stage with this beer. Bit of black pepper, more booze that I would care for in a beer. Finishes a bit grainy and leaves the tongue a bit prickly with the sides of my tongue (the sour taste buds right?) acting up.

D: I think the look of this beer may have killed the rest of the drinking experience for me, I was expecting big things and was dissapointed with the end results.

Note: I am getting frustrated with my glassware and/or the way this beer might have been sitting on the shelf for a bit too long. I've got no head and no lacing on a beer that should have tons of both. I hand washed the glass with lots of baking soda and hot water and rinsed and rinsed, still the head just evaporates. I don't think my method of washing is off because this process has worked wonders before, I just don't get what is going on here. My only chance is to grab another, new looking bottle, somehow, and give this beer the second chance that I know it deserves.

10-07-2008 03:08:49 | More by bluemoonswoon
flexabull

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally getting around to trying this one again. It's been years, and I figured it's time to start knocking out some of the Belgian Classics.

Pours a dark brown, deep amber color with a nice light tan color.

Aromas are of cola, breads, nuts, and a bit sweet smelling as well.

Taste is spicy and crisp up front. Then settles into creamy malts, sharp nutty and bread flavors, and finishes with a dry bitter, almost champagne like crispness. Unlike some other Dark Belgians, this one seems more bold and in your face. And that's not a bad thing... I like it.

Mouthfeel is ok, but not really what I like. It just seems too crisp and carbonated feeling. I just like this style to be a bit more smooth and full feeling.

Drinkability is good. This is an excellent take on the style. Unique, and something every beer fan should try.

10-03-2008 23:19:04 | More by flexabull
barleysandwich

British Columbia (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This unique beer is one of the best beers I have ever had. I buy it from time to time (it's a tad expensive I paid $3.50 a bottle at the government liquor store here in BC) when I am in the mood for a slightly heavier beer, it's 9% alcohol, so its a bit on the heavy side, you can't drink too many, and I usually only buy one or two.

It is such a pleasant flavor, nutty, rich, warm, toasty, full and complex.

God bless the monks that make this stuff! :)

10-03-2008 00:07:01 | More by barleysandwich
SFRider

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Dark Brown. Solid. Lots of full thick head on top of the pour.
Smell: Sweet and fresh. Musky malt.
Taste: Very smooth. Medium carbonation. Hints of caramel and a mild sugary type of sweetness. Slightly sweet bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Holds the carbonation well.
Drinkability: Very drinkable. I definitely plan on drinking this beer again.
ABV: 9%
Serving Type: 750ml bottle poured into a wine glass.

Yes - this is a review of another beer I knew I would like. Why? Well - a number of reasons. One thing I absolutely love about beer is the story and/or process behind it. Chimay comes from a Belgium Monestary, and has been brewed by the monks since 1863 (1+8+6+3 = 18. My lucky number and Chai in Hebrew = "Life and good luck". Coincidence?) Anyways, Chimay was one of the first premium beers to my knowledge that started driving the prices of up - and made drinking beer, as sophisticated as drinking a fine wine. So - history lesson aside, this still truly is a great beer. Easy to drink - but don't EVER drink this from the bottle. It should still be cherished and enjoyed properly. This ain't no Budweiser (though - I do appreciate a quality Bud as well). Don't rush through this beer. Drink it slowly, but while it's still cold. Enjoy the sweet and malted scents and flavors. I have yet to meet a beer drinker that doesn't like this beer. It's pretty much a quality standard.

10-02-2008 06:26:34 | More by SFRider
WHROO

Australia

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

this is one of my all time best beers ever tasted-warm to me heart!!!
Poured into a snifter...dark brown, murky & had a fair bit of lighter sediment that stood out. Not too carbonated...although a creamy off white head with no real lacing.
Aroma was bewdiful: sweet sweet sweet, fermented fruits big time, banana, maybe some port,just a big whiff of beatiful deep sweet malts & fruit...love it.
Taste was easily just a good if not better. Well carbonated, complex, Alive, very fruity, very ripe. Slightly spicey with cloves & peppery...& a dark finish - some roasty malts, & little smokey & rich...& no hint of hop bitterness to be found, the taste of alcohol warmth rounded this drop out to be exceptional...absolutely love it.
Mouthfeel was smooth, creamy, full & a little spicey & alive.
Overall if you are looking for complexity then definately give this a go...& despite it being heavier, & the ABV is evident I just want to keep going back for more...
Give this one a crack!

09-30-2008 09:34:21 | More by WHROO
paulaner

Germany

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from the 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

Pours a dark brown with a everlasting creamy head

Smell is absolutely fantastic slightly fruity but more malty

Taste is excellent not sweet but fruity with a strong prune flavor that lasts. The interesting thing about this beer is it can be tasted at different temperatures producing unique flavors that are different within each range, unlike most of the dark trappist beers that are usually good at a certain temperature.

This is a silky smooth beer that could be compared to a top class aged wine in smoothness.

As long as you sip and enjoy this excellent brew it could be enjoyed all night.

09-27-2008 20:00:57 | More by paulaner
BierFan

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Grande Reserve had a very large off-white head.

Smell: Imagine a large pile of smashed up raisins and bananas. Let the pile of smashed fruit rot for a while and thats what it smells like...DELICIOUS.

Taste: To quote the original scribbled notes I wrote when reviewing this beer, "Damn!!!". Yeah, it tastes pretty good. Dark complex fruity taste.

Dark, smooth, rich, and tasty.

09-25-2008 00:31:08 | More by BierFan
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.