Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
treehugger02010

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I split this 75 CL bottle with my roommate (it was his) and poured it into a snifter.
Appearance: Very carbonated, brown body, big light tan head, poor retention, ok lacing. Lots of bubbles.
Smell: Sour, fruit, almost like a flemish sour, grapes.
Taste: Nutty, sweet dark fruit.
Mouthfeel: Tickely.
Drinkability: Rather tasty.
Don't drink and review.

09-17-2008 17:32:35 | More by treehugger02010
Roeters

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Pored into a Belgian Goblet

A: Thin white head with a deep reddish color, no laceing.

S: Sweet dark fruity with a slight wine aroma and a slight alcohol aroma.

T: Slightly fruity with some roasted flavor.

M: Upon hitting the tongue the carbonation releases with a sharp bite.

D: Easy drinking with great flavor I would drink thins beer all night long.

09-16-2008 05:53:00 | More by Roeters
everetends

Alabama

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

330 ml bottle served to me at The Last Resort in Athens, GA. Was actually served in a standard pint glass. Hopefully a talk with the bartender will get them to go to an oversized wine glass at the least.

A: Poured a very rich, dark brown with a finger of off white to tan head that had some decent retention to it. The head didn't last forever though, diminishing to a nice, foamy ring that left some soapy lacing. The oil slick-like consistency really coats the glass and is quite impressive.

S: Smell is of some really nice belgian yeast, roasted malt, nuts, dark, dark fruits and hint of chocolate. A touch of the booze comes across in the nose but it is a sweet booziness.

T: Taste is really nice. Yeast is there with what you expect from a Belgian style, but the roasted malt really adds some nice notes here. Vanilla, nutiness and dark fruit add some dimension in the middle. The finish is not that much unlike a thick, sweet port. Very nice indeed.

M: This has a nice, thick, oily feel that really coats the mouth allowing all of these flavors to be enjoyed. Carbonation is light but still makes the brew easy to drink and somewhat refreshing. This brew goes down remarkably well and easy. Very nice again.

D: This beer is a bit heavy in the booze as it warms, so I wouldn't want much more than one bottle in a session. Still incredibly well crafted in all categories and is so damned easy to enjoy. Very good.

09-14-2008 22:08:31 | More by everetends
homebrewhawk

Kansas

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

330ml bottle served in a chalice. Bottle conditioned. Poured a hazy dark amber with a thin off white head. Fruity aroma with some peppery spice. Medium to full bodied with some malt sweetness. Rich mouthfeel. More fruit in the flavor. Spice in the finish and the signature Chimay yeast flavor. A little hop bitterness in the finish as well.

09-13-2008 04:13:09 | More by homebrewhawk
steelcutoats

Chimay Grand Reserve review

When I was checking out all the reviews I've written the other day, I couldn't believe that I hadn't yet reviewed my absolute favorite Belgium ale Chimay Grand Reserve. I figured it was my duty to pick up a bottle on the way home and pick up a bottle to write about. I remember trying this about two years ago and not liking it very much, but my palette has since grown. I popped the cork on a 750 ml. bottle and poured a good sample into a Chimay chalice that I got last year in a gift pack. There wasn't much of a head once poured; I took great care not to disturb the yeast sediment resting at the bottom of the bottle. The color was a deep, rusty orange, with very little light penetrating the chalice. The aroma was sublime with hints of dates, figs and yeast. I had read originally that this beer was once only brewed at Christmas time, which does explain why this particular ale reminds me a Barleywine. The taste is sweet, almost like port with deep fruits and a peppery aftertaste. This ale is a champion and should be enjoyed as often as possible. Grab a bottle or two and sit down to enjoy a epic masterpiece.

09-13-2008 00:40:46 | More by steelcutoats
Silenus89

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a 750ml bottle to pint glass. Dark brown color with a big maroon fluffed head.

Complex yeast aroma with dark malts. maybe a touch of vanilla

tasted roasted nutsand malts, fruits and a dry finish. Mouth feel is medium bodied.

If i could afford it i would drink this everyday but being 10 dollars and over at some places i might get it again in a month or two. A very nice brew thats different and keeps me wanting more

09-12-2008 04:01:14 | More by Silenus89
BergenZero

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I am going to add more to this later in the week, but i wanted to tell a story about this beer.

I have always been into good beer but i would slum around with cheap beers cause i was young and stupid. I began working for a liquor store. The chimay bottles would stare at me all day long and just ask to be drank. The first time i had this beer, i was under the influence of a plant that grows like a weed. I was a bit emotional. I drank this for the first time out of a chimay glass. Thanks to my brother for being a giant beer expert and having such handy things just lying around...Anyway when i drank this for the first time i wanted to cry. it was one of the best things i have ever tasted. It was so flavorable and balanced. To me....i could drink 3 750's of this and be a very happy boy. The next day all i wanted to do was drink another one. I jones for this beer everyday i am alive, I feel like a crackhead

This beer was the muse that made we want to learn more and more about beer, and never ever drink a domestic macro brew for the rest of my life. So here i am on my journey to learning more and more about how great good beer is and its all because of one little bottle of this wonderful Chimay Grande Reserve.

The first time I drank this can be comparable to spending a night with young britney spears.

09-10-2008 04:22:59 | More by BergenZero
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Got a 750ml bottle with a cork. Fanshy

A- Opaque brown-pink deep-earthy color. OK head but the actual liquid holds the beauty

S- Smells like sweet liquor and clean fruits

T- Taste is excellent with dark fruits covered in alcohol and a good balance of bitter and sweet.

M- Feels great. Medium body and some bubbly carbonation

D- For the 9%ABV this is unbelievably smooth and drinkable in large quantities

09-07-2008 03:27:15 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
0110x011

4.3/5  rDev 0%

330ml bottle into a Delirium tulip.

Pours a dark, ruby-rimmed brown. Insane head lasts for almost the whole glass, but leaves surprisingly little lacing. Beautiful nose on this thing. Plum, raisin, anise, coriander, and a hint of booze. The dark fruits and spice form a perfect balance on the palate. Wonderful. Medium mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation, but not too bubbly to prevent the flavor from lingering. Very drinkable.

there's a reason that Chimay is the first thing people think when they hear the word Trappist, and this is it. A must try for any beer lover.

09-05-2008 05:39:24 | More by 0110x011
scottg

Vermont

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml bottle poured into a wide mouthed wine glass.
Vintage 03/08

Pours a mahogany/brown color with a 1/2 finger tan head with good retention and lacing. Carmelized malt, dark cherry and raisin aromas. Raisin, caramel, vanilla, fruity yeast flavors are well balanced. High carbonation, medium body, coats and cleanses the mouth. Different lead flavor in different tastes.
Absolutely fantastic!

09-02-2008 17:44:33 | More by scottg
ClavisAurea

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml bottle served in a Chimay glass.

Appearance: auburn, thick head, yeast sediment from the bottle at the end

Smell: stewed fruit, brown sugar, vanilla, sweet wine

Taste/Mouthfeel: thick, coats the throat, ripe fruit, plums, complex sugars, caramel, raisins, light spritzer-like hop finish

There is a very good reason why this is one of the greatest beers produced. Truly heavenly.

09-02-2008 01:02:11 | More by ClavisAurea
matty

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Dark brown colored ale with a high rapidly fading foam.Aroma is spices and alcohol.Taste is raisins,bread and alcohol.I did not enjoy this one as much as the other belgians I've had the past couple of weeks.I am by no means saying this is bad!!Overall a decent ale that I would try again.

09-01-2008 02:19:17 | More by matty
montageman

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a tulip.

A really exceptional beer. The cork has 11/05 stamped on it, so this is well over 2 almost 3 years old. There is really nothing wrong here and actually it might be TOO drinkable. I've been working on this bottle for less than an hour and it's nearly finished. So tasty and perfectly balanced - Chimay would make an ideal substitute for water! If only... Highest recommendation.

08-31-2008 01:56:34 | More by montageman
scottyshades

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark copper color with red highlight...very nice looking beer that produces an off-white head that is quite fluffy...The nose is of dark fruit, sweet notes, toasted malts, and a slight touch of alcohol...The taste is sweet! literally... it is sweet, roasted malts are present, dark fruit, and spices. Alcohol is present.

08-27-2008 23:53:27 | More by scottyshades
changeup45

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Deep hazy brown color topped with a nice thick tan head. Malty aroma with a spicy dark fruit character. A nice rich bold flavor that combines slightly sweet fruits, malts and brown sugary notes. A smooth full-bodied texture. A slight tart presence. I now have had the Red, White and Blue and while I'd give the Blue and White the edge over the Red but they all are top of the line beers. There's just not much wrong with this one.

08-26-2008 20:13:13 | More by changeup45
engisch

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

The last of my Chimay variety 3-Pack.

Pours as a very dark amber. There is not as much head as the other Chimays. The smell is of apples and pears. Delicous. This is my favorite of the Chimays. The mouthfeel is wonderful with the champagne bubbles and the frothy head. The flavor has a dry sweet and sourness. The lacing is not as high as the other chimays, but it is still significant. The head quickly disipates leaving a fine layer on top of this great tasting beer.

The flavor of this was the best, but the mouthfeel of the Red had a silky smoothness, which made it very interesting. I will probably get a large "aged" bottle of this Chimay Blue, as I hear it ages very well. I'm glad I found my way to trying this very popular brew.

08-25-2008 15:40:50 | More by engisch
Bananaman

Sweden

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Another great Trappist beer! This bottle hade been standing a while in my basement, so I had high hopes!

Dark-brown color with a beige foam.

Smells nicely of dried fruits such as plums and some raisins, a bit brown sugar in the smell too.

The taste is similar to the smell with a very light note of soy, a lot of sweetness, very malty. Nice mouthfeel to, but not exceptional.

A bottle of Chimay Blue 2007 does not dissapoint!

08-19-2008 06:08:09 | More by Bananaman
JBogan

Nevada

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

My Chimay glass was greeted by a dark caramel colored brew topped off by a two finger tight tan head which surprisingly left almost no lacing.

Aroma of caramel, roasted malts, perhaps a hint of cinnamon and dark fruits.

Taste was a slight disappointment from the smell. Not that it was bad at all, just not as complex as I was expecting. About the best way I can describe it was to say it was almost "flat" tasting if that's the right term. Nothing really tasted especially impressive about it. Again there was roasted malts along with spices and a bit of sweetness. Very nice but still not quite up there with most other Trappists in my opinion.

Excellent mouthfeel here however. Smooth, with just enough carbonation to balance everything out nicely.

This is a fine beer and one I'll probably revisit at some point down the road. Not something you'd want to drink on a daily basis, but nice for special occasions.

08-14-2008 23:14:22 | More by JBogan
DmanGTR

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this in a Belgian bar in Hong Kong.

A - poured burgundy brown, cloudy w/1" off-white head that retained and laced excellently in an authentic Chimay goblet.

S - sweet malts and dates, figs, black currants, and an alcoholic overtone. Fruity and complex, slight notes of yeast and spice.

T - Similar to the smell: sweet fruity malts, very slight hoppiness, dark fruits, mild smokiness and an alcoholic spice

M - full bodied and rich with light carbonation.

D - very drinkable. I had to try not to drink this so quickly!

Overall - I must say that this is the best beer I've ever had at a bar. Full bodied, complex, and very rich. A must try for any Belgian fan. It can complement a fine dinner or be served as a stand-alone after dinner treat!

08-14-2008 22:03:41 | More by DmanGTR
ElGrecoVerde

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Looks like mud with a little bit of foam on it.

Smell is excellent. Dark fruit, berries, and sweet nutty aromas. A touch of spice, too.

Flavor was almost overwhelmed by berries. Smooth chocolate and vanilla, more dark fruits, and burnt toast finishes things off. The toasted wheat flavors really balance things out, otherwise it would be too sweet. The flavors are all good, but that balancing act is what makes it great.

Perfect creamy mouthfeel. Not too heavy, not too thin. Alcohol content is hardly noticeable at all.

08-14-2008 19:25:23 | More by ElGrecoVerde
spointon

4.43/5  rDev +3%

I poured this Belgian ale from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A= This ale poured a deep reddish amber color with a 1/4 inch creamy off-white head that just wouldn't quit. The body was not as dark as many other BSDAs I have had. Seriously high carbonation release throughout the glass. Some lacing present.

S= This ale smells incredibly good. Initially it was too cold, but after letting it warm a bit, I could detect familiar Belgian aromas of malt, candy sugar, and funky yeast. There was a serious dose of that musty Grandma's basement in this one.

T= I found the flavors of this ale to be very good if a bit muted. I easily found sweet dark fruits, candy sugar, malt, and a bit of dry alcohol on the finish.

MF= This was a straight medium bodied ale that felt even lighter due to that effervescent Belgian carbonation.

D= Incredibly drinkable and really hides its ABV well. Each sip left me craving the next sip. Though it should be a sipper, I found it impossible to make this beer last for very long. A classic!

08-13-2008 04:08:48 | More by spointon
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +3%

a: Big fluffy light tan head sits atop a hazy amber body.

s: sweet malt, spicy, dark fruits, and cloves.

t: molasses, sweet malt, raisins, spice and some light funk. Complex and tasty.

m: high carbonation works well in this one. light to medium body. smooth.

d: for many Chimay is their introduction to Belgian beer. It was the first belgian I saw and the the first I tasted. Because it is everywhere and is essentially mainstream Belgian, I think I have had a bias against Chimay. But I can't deny that they make some damn fine beer. I wish more people would branch out and try other Belgians, but Chimay is an excellent start.

Chimay Grand Reserve is a beer of wonderful complexity, great drinkability (really? 9% abv?) and high cellarability (wish I could afford to lay a few down).

08-13-2008 02:14:42 | More by BradLikesBrew
TheTrevor

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer poured a deep opaque brown with no discernible highlights and a fluffy two-finger head that dissipated to a single finger with good lacing. The smell is complex with some earthiness, fairly heavy malt, and some spiciness and yeast. The taste starts off with some bready malt that gives way to some spiciness in the middle with a small hint of alcohol at the end for some pleasant warming. The mouthfeel is a bit thicker than watery with a nice slickness and medium carbonation. I wouldn't call this the most drinkable beer in the world, but likely one of the tastiest. I could imagine finishing off a couple bottles with a good rich dinner or a fancy cheese and meat spread.

08-13-2008 00:24:49 | More by TheTrevor
bbeerman

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

What can be said about Chimay Grande Reserve other than exceptional.

Enjoyed a 11.5oz bottle with a snack recently. Quite possibly the best tasting, most deliciously aromatic beer I have had to date (I prefer the larger, corked bottle, but this smaller capped version is more than acceptable).

Those who profess to love beer, but have not yet had Chimay, should find and enjoy this brew as soon as possible. Tastes wonderful with good cheese, fruit and bread.

08-12-2008 07:15:08 | More by bbeerman
gab351

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev 0%

poured into a goblet from a chilled 33cl bottle obtained from the local grocery store (Geant Casino) here in Paris, and drank on 8/11

Appearance: nice deep mahogany with an off-white one finger head after pour. very enticing look.

Smell: Earthy, deep malts, lots of spice, very complex smell. A lot hits my nose all at once.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very spicy beer. A slight bitterness on the back of my tongue. Very heavy in my mouth like a rich creamy mocha. Woody notes coming out after it goes down, and I don't detect the 9% alc level anywhere.

Overall: This is what a beer should be like. Extremely drinkable even with the high 9%abv. Goes down very smooth. I enjoyed this brew very much.

08-11-2008 19:18:03 | More by gab351
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.