Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev +2.6%

This is the first Trappist I have had. Very clean taste. Pours with some head that quickly recedes. Did not have much of a smell to me. Appeared a light brown color. Reminded me of a cider with the significant amount of carbonation that it had.

Overall the flavor of this beer and mouthfeel were different from any other beer I have had. Very drinkable.

3.79/5  rDev -11.9%

Not much head, not much lace. Decent brown color. Smells of raspberry cranberry, some sweetish malt with some sourness. Taste mimics smell. A little too carbonated for my taste, stung my tastebuds into submission before i could truly absorb the beer. One is interesting, not exactly an intriguing reinvitation.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

For me this is the beer that all others are compareed to. Probably due to the fact that this was the first Belgian Ale I started drinking. It is also relatively easy to find, so I have had it a lot. Although I did have to go all over Destin, FL to find it during a fishing trip.

Has a great flavor, smell and feel and I have yet to experience a funky bottle, although they are probably out there. If i haven't shared a Chimay with you, then you know you are not my friend.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a very cloudy brown colour with a beige head.

I wish I could work out the aromas on this. Some sort of funkiness coming through. A little candied sweetness. Maybe some dark malts.

How easy drinking is this? Some dark fruits, a bit of malt but really just a nice mouthful of beer.

A little alcohol warmth. A little cloying.

A nice beer, very drinkable. But interesting? Not really.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Deep brown with slightly off white head. Great head retention.

Smell: Slightly fruity, slightly earthy, and slightly funky. Everything seems so well integrated its hard to pick anything specific.

Taste: Woody, dark fruits, distinctive Belgian yeasty flavors. As with the aroma, its difficult to pinpoint anything really specific. It is delicious though.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation at first, but low carbonation at the end of the glass. I like the change, brings a new angle to the flavor profile.

Drinkablility: Good beers are easy to drink.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A: Cloudy mahogany with about 1/2'' light tan head with moderate retention, left some lacing.

S: Dark malts and some woodiness/earthiness, dark fruits, mild yeast scent. Some spiciness came through as it warmed.

T: Sweet, malty, dark fruits, spice. Distinct booziness. The yeast is again more detectable as it warms and very pleasantly blends with the rest of the flavor profile.

M: Not quite full body, medium carbonation, creamy.

D: The alcohol is a bit too present to have too many but I'll be drinking this again.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Serving Type: bottle poured into a frosty mug

A - Amber in color; huge, very firm head; exceptional body; head last an extremely long time

S - strong smell of berries with a woody back-end;

T - bursting with flavor; strong alcohol on initial taste; not overpowering;

M - creamy and light

D - wonderful to drink when you get the opportunity; the cost of the beer can be prohibitive for casual drinking

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Chimay Goblet.
Pours a hazy, brownish plum color. The head is very light and quick to disappear.
Smells of sweet plums and dark malts with some slightly sour yeasty undertones and a touch of well hidden alcohol.
The taste doesn't swing too far from the smell, very nice and smooth going down, a little too drinkable for hitting up 9%... not that it matters until the next day.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

in Honor of the Sunday tasting of all BSDA.

This is a fine example of a Trappist ale. I had this so many times over the years and was my first Trappist I ever had, as it was the first I ever seen in England, later the US. Reviewing a standard non aged bottle.

A: Poured in a fine crystal tulip. some fine lacing at 55f it lasted about 1 minute or so. reddish brown in color. very nice, but it always looks nice to me.

S: divine stuff, lots of dark plums, some leather, dark candy, dark malt. Alcohol is detected in the nose, no hops detected in the smell.
as it warms you get a spicy almost clove like smell. I also get some coffee hints.

T: I get sweet dark plums and spice, hints of dark candy sugar that tastes like rum and molasses. Balanced semi sweet beer, that does have a heavy alcohol profile. Some spice like clove candy, you cannot taste the hops, but you know its in there, the Belgian yeast also add a classic Trappist flavor profile, something you get after you had many of these not that bitter, but mostly semi sweet.

M: Medium-full body. Moderate carbonation.

D: decent but not my favorite of this style, but I never turn it down either. If I can get better Trappist I do, otherwise its a semi great beer, that ages well and taste much better 4 or 5 years out. easy to drink a 750ml solo np.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

**5/8/14 - Enjoying a 2009 bottle. Carbonation is smoothed out, still a bit hot on the alcohol but not a bother, great deep dark fruit/yeast/spice profile, light chocolate, and a nice aged feel to it. I always figured some age would do this beer some good, and indeed I definitely liked this much more than fresher bottles I've had in the past. Definitely reminiscent of aged Rocheforts, Abt 12, etc.

Original review: (scores - 4/4/3.5/3/3.5)
08/09 on the cork, 750ml split amongst some people.

Pours dark brown with a fizzy tan-flecked white head. Turns to a swirly cap and leaves some lacing.

Smell is nice typical Belgian, lots of yeast, caramel, nuts and dark fruit.

Flavors are good but this is way too boozy for my liking. Way too much for 9% anyway, especially since it's aged. Strong flavors of plum, figs/raisin, brown sugar, alcohol, spice and clove. Tasty yeast notes are more present towards the end.

Has a nice creamy texture but booze and carbonation are a bother. At the price it's at too there are many other Belgian classics I'd enjoy more for equal or lesser costs.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

This was the first "real" beer I ever had, my father and I split a bottle of this when I was 17. I was blown away by the flavor compared to my usual choice of Bud Light and Keystone Light.

A- chocolate brown, creamy head

S- yeasty, sweet, bread, caramel, notes of fruitiness

T- Delicious..., sweet, fresh bread, little hops, spice, not at all bitter

M- Smooooth, thick, chewy, though dark its refreshing. I could drink it at any season

D- If you don't like dark beers then you would change your mind after this one.

Although a little pricey it is definitely worth the buy, usually a celebratory beer: New Years, Birthdays, or a made up reason to celebrate. Ive become so hooked on this beer that I bought many of their cups and have handed them out as presents along with a bottle. I bought the Magnum which is the centerpiece on my bar.
-If you haven't had this beer ill buy you one if your ever in Austin, Texas

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

I've had chimay blue a few times now and all in all its quite a good brew. The most recent time I had this one was in France on the night of the Fête de la Musique (Paris Street Music Festival) at a small bar in Paris. I was very excited to see it on the menu since most of the average bars in france(like the states) host the European versions of macro brewed beers. I poured this one from a 33cl/330ml/11.2oz bottle into a fairly decent sized tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark hazy brown with a thick cream colored head quite nice looking overall.

Aroma: smells of caramel brown sugar, caramel, plums, cloves, and cinnamon.

Taste: very full bodied in flavor and as the nose suggests tastes of, caramel, plums, prunes, slight fig tastes, accompanied by tastes of cinnamon cloves and nutmeg.

Feel: Thick in texture and slightly sticky with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down quite easily especially since the alcohol shows no presence in flavor at all and after you have one you REALLY want more.

Very good overall.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

very very very smooth. almost creamy. I wouldnt be surprised if they used lactose hahaha

it was so tasty. very noticeable fruits.

clearity shows its a bottled condition beer. and so does the label hahahaha.

the only probably with this beer is that it is by no means a session beer. 3 of these in an hour and im toast hahahaha if my stomach will allow it all in

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice.

A- Pours with a deep, thick, cloudy brown body. Has an uneven, light cream-colored one-finger head. It recedes at a moderate rate.

S- Sweet smells of fruits and yeast are present.

T- I taste a slight metallic flavor in the back, but let's go to the front. Dark fruits and yeast like the smell, nice warming alcohol, very smooth.

M- It's medium-full bodied. It has light carbonation and coats the tongue nicely.

D- Excellent. I wish I had a stock of these. Two-three of these would make an excellent nightcap.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

11.20oz / 33cl to chimay glass, part of the 3 pack giftset
served at cellar temp

pours a nice deep dark off reddish orange brown, hazy and dark, hard to pass light through, creamy head fades quicker than the other two, great lacing

smells of alcohol, belgian yeastliness, peppery spice, sweet malt, figs

taste is of sweetness balanced out by dry, alcohol presence is high but not off putting (totally can see why people say it's amazing aged, probably going to seek out older bottles or cellar some), roasty, plum, raisin, figgy, nice lower carbonation, hops in the middle linger to the finish with alc warmth, peppery clove banana yeast lets the sweetness through then cuts it - very nice

mouthfeel is creamy, sweet and of a good weight

overall drinkability is pretty good, would drink again, very clean - a staple of the style for a reason

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

From notes:

A: A dark reddish-brown. Head quickly falls.

S: Malt. Faint hint of alcohol.

T: Malty, alcoholic. The Belgian yeast flavor coming out.

M: Light-medium.

D: A sipper.

O: Good. Not terribly complex. Too expensive to drink much of. For the money, I'd rather buy other things. A good, enjoyable beer but to expensive where I live (over $3 for 11.2 oz).

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark caramel red color with visible carbonation, and a head that quickly becomes just lacing. Smell of strong yeast, bread, biscuit and caramel, some dark fruit flavors and sweetness.

Taste of caramel, belgian spicey yeasts, biscuits, dark fruit and belgian candied sugar. Plums and caramel are the most prominent.

There is a nice carbonation and what I thought to be a medium mouthfeel on the heavier side. This is a Belgian Strong Dark ale, and good as is, but just slightly thicker than I thought it would be. Good for the style and smooth going on the way down.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours a deep brown w/ a light, one-to-two-inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S/T/M- Smells of nuts and caramel, faintly of alcohol. Has a champagne or soda-like quality in the mouth w/ fairly high carbonation but pleasantly smooth. I sense a fruity ester in the taste alongside flavors reminsicent of molasses, nut, and caramel. Alcohol also makes itself known. There is a faint bitterness on the finish.

D- Very smooth, but certainly an ale you want to sip.

This is a classy beverage and one of the best ales to be found. Maybe not my favorite Trappist or Trappist-ish ale, but hard to beat.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Served in a Chimay goblet.

Finally get to match the goblet to its namesake for the first time in almost four years! Damn. The beer pours a translucent dark brown topped by a quickly-dissipating finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises figs, brown sugar, rye bread, grapes, plums, cinnamon, cane sugar, and some dark wheat. The taste holds notes of everything in the nosde, though the rye bread's strength has increased, pepper is added, and a slight bit of maple syrup appears near the end. The body is a hefty medium, with a high moderate carbonation and an ever-so-slightly chewy feel. Overall, a very good BSDA, especially considering its near-ubiquity. Get some!

A- Grape. Medium to dark. Very good look. Low carbonation. A gift to the eyes. Very Sexy beer.
S- Grape. Malt. No hops. Very nice.
T- No bitterness just weet grape and malt. Alcohol not evident even at nine percent.
M- Smooth as silk.
d- Too good. A pleasure to quaff.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I poured this 11.2 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Dark mahogany, nearly opaque, 2 finger head falls into wonderful lacing that never completely vanishes.

S: Lots of Belgian yeast, candied fruit, spice, and sweet malt.

T: Exceptionally complex: up front there is sweet malt, candied cherries and plums, yeasty esters, and spice, in the middle there is a bit of acidity and a tiny bit of hops, the finish is long, luxurious, and dry.

M: Like velvet, with a perfect balance between acidity and malty mouth-coating goodness.

D: Nearly perfect.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a tulip glass.

A: From the start I know I'm in for a treat. Pours a dark nutty brown that is almost opaque at the core with ruby accents at the edges of the glass. I got three fingers of a light-khaki, pillowy head that held together nicely. Columns of bubbles climb the sides of the glass. Beautiful presentation.

S: The most prevalent aroma is a funky Belgian yeast note, sort of floral and spicy. Next, I get a big helping of malt, molasses, and brown sugar.

T: Follows the nose, only kicked up a notch. As with most of the Trappist beers I've tried, there's a noticeable fruity characteristic (possibly from the yeast), although this is much darker than what you'd find in tripel or the like. Raisin bread comes to mind, although the bread note is more outspoken. Somewhat sweet, but not overly so. No real hop quality or bitterness to speak of.

M: It's definitely heavy on the palate, and rightly so with such a complex combination of flavors. However, it's also surprisingly refreshing. The alcohol isn't menacing at all, and in fact adds a nice warming to the palate. There's also this lovely tingling sensation thanks to the carbonation that coats the entire mouth for some time.

D: I imagine this is what I will offer to my friends who say, "I just don't like 'dark' beers." It has such a unique flavor profile, and the higher ABV is well hidden. A great beer to share with friends (although I kept this one to myself).

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

bottle into the chimay goblet that came with the 3 pack! For some reason have never had blue before, strange?

appearence: murky brown, little head at all, doesnt look that carbonated. Actually I think I dropped some yeast in there from my botched pour, oh well...

smell: grape, fruity, smell of a barleywine really. A little bit of a dough smell. Berries really stand out as the initial scent. with a finish of wine.

taste: Sweet, very decadent but finishes dry. Has a certain fruitiness to it that I cant put my finger on, but reminds me of brandy a bit. Finish is a delicious alcohol wich is quite enjoyable

mouthfeel: bubbly, but dry, it goes down good. In a lot of ways this doesnt even feel like a beer to me, but a different category.

drinkability: its very good, but I dont think I could have it, or afford it every day

Overall dont get me wrong, I do love this beer. I just dont really love it, Belgians are a fav category, and strong darks are great, but this doesnt do it for me all the way like I was hoping it would.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

33cl bottle, 2010 vintage, brought back by my brother from Scotland... despite us having it in the liquor stores here :)

Pours a deep chestnut brown with two fingers of khaki head which recedes to leave small chunks of lace and wisps on top.

Raisins, plums, figs, cocoa, candy sugar, and yeasty bread with gentle spices swirling in this mix. A little bit of cola and earth as well. Sweet but not overpoweringly so, enough dryness in the finish. Only problem IMO is the carbonation which is quite zippy and borders on edgy, runs roughshod especially at first.

A quality beer I've enjoyed on many an occasion, but first review. Well made, drinkable, hides the ABV well, warming.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass, a really nice dark brown with a touch of red to it, not much head. Smell yeasty with a slight scent of fruits and flowers caught in the background. Taste is great. The scents that were in the background really come out as well as the grain/bready taste that really come together make this beer what it is. Mouthfeel; for being a strong, dark beer the feel is very light and refreshing with a little bit of carbonation. Overall is a pleasure to drink. I will be getting a few bottles very soon.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.