Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +14%

This is easily one of the best beers on the planet. If you consider yourself a beer advocate, it should be tried at least once in your life regardless of the style of beer you prefer.

This beer is stout to say the least. The color is dark, the head is thick and dark, and the rich complex taste matches everything that pours out of the bottle. It grabs you and slaps you around with it's depth and character in way few beers can. To me it has just a hint of sweetness. It is the perfect beer for a big meat and potatoes kind of meal or as an after dinner beer with a cigar. Strong. Shows why so many American beers are crap when compared to something like this.

Truly world class!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at the local French chain store in Spain. It was a 2010 dated bottle (no born on date). I poured the 0.33L bottle into a non-sanctioned chalice and was befuddled by the amount of creamy head that I was presented with. It started with about 3 fingers of head and within a minute I was left with about one finger. The smell is malty, almost caramel, but fairly intense. The flavour was very good and had tones of caramel and fruits and could taste the alcohol. The mouthfeel was warm from the alcohol-not too terribly syrupy for the darkness - and it lingered for a second gently nudging my taste buds until they resonded. It is very drinkable but due to the price (approx $3.00 US) and the alcohol content I would not consider it a session beer. Still, I will try it again-just not tonight.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Easily one of my all time favorite beers! Every sip is a treat and I need to just savor it. Pretty much perfect, so complex in flavor and smell with a mouthfeel like a storm of happyness on my tongue. So complex I can't really describe, try for yourself and you wont be disappointed. Nice dark color and head that likes to hang around and stick to the glass. Try with a washed rind cheese, ex. Limburger, Taleggio(even though they stink bad, get over it). Strong alcohol kicks in but is hidden by the overall taste, it will sneak up on you. I really could drink this beer until I'm dead...good for me it's too expensive to drink in quantity.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

From a bottle to a snifter...
The color is a very murky brown, nice tan head that reduced quickly.
Smells of caramel, toffee, fig, and other dark fruits.
The dark fruit comes though on the pallette along with malt, yeast and clove.
Mouthfeel has lots of carbonation, light -medium bodied and leaves the mouth warm and dry.
Drinkability is good and hides the alcohol very well.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

As far as belgian strong dark ales go, this is the bench mark. I've tried to find one that comes close but for the availability and ABV, i just can't find anything better and more satisfying

A-dark amber brown, light tan head

S-maple, beautiful but not over powered sweetness. light alcohol note, slight cherriness

T-matching taste hits up front, cherries after-taste, alcohol note barely present

M-medium but soft carbonation

D-I dont think there's any "common" beer as good as this. It never ceases to make me feel wonderful. The taste stays and is easy to drink. I can never have too much of this!!

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into tulip glass

A: Looks "thick", colored like root beer, bright brown color, active bubbles but not too much head, just a foamy covering

S: Pretty mild but a definite caramel malt aroma, deep smelling though, hints of dark fruit for sure adds complexity

T: Similar to aroma, definitely a yeasty flavored beer, the malt provides a deep backbone, hops are not present, I taste figs and brown sugar, rich and complex

M: Light to medium body, decent carbonation for belgian, just pleasant overall

D: High, easy to drink for a complex beer

Notes: What is there to say about this beer. It is the quintessential trappist beer. If you've drank it you know what I mean, if you haven't, then try one.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

As much beer as I've drunk in my life, this is actually my first Chimay product. Here goes:

I poured this into a sniffer.

A: Pours Coca-Cola brown, with a mean 1.5 inch + head, and carbonation to boot. Beautiful!

S: Caramel malts, plums, raisons, and hint of brown sugar.

T: I taste everything I just smelled, but also a hint of chocolate. The aftertaste is smooth as silk. This is the least "funky" Belgian I've had in a good while.

M: This is probably the smoothest beer in this style class I've ever tasted. The sugar is present without being syrupy, and the foaminess (and there is A LOT!) adds to the brew's charm.

D: 9% ABV huh? I couldn't taste it. Excellent beer!

4.13/5  rDev -4%

750ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a dark hazy iced-tea-apple-cider amber with a billowing dense crème brûlée colored head that sat motionless over the beer leaving streaks of lace down the glass.
S: Rich notes of dark fruit, figs, dark malts, Belgian spices and spicy yeast. Lots of clove and slight vanilla.
T: Light notes of dark fruits, pear, raisins and peppery spices dominate. Finish is spicy but has a fair amount of candied sweetness to it. Notes of maple, vanilla, tangerine, and nutmeg are present as well.
M: Mouth is lighter than expected due to the soft and creamy carbonation. Alcohol is slightly noticeable in the finish but pleasant. Very soft mouthfeel.
D: One of the best, although not as great as I remember. I'll try this again after some age. Definitely a world class beer.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I had high expectations for this beer, and I certainly was not disappointed.

A - Very hazy and brown with an orange halo and a very foamy head.

S - Delicious, first off. Medium to full bodied bouquet with a maple-honey sweetness and vanilla extract notes. It almost smells like being in a sweets shop. Very inviting.

T - Very well-balanced and delecate. Great sweetness and vanilla is perfectly accompanied by a soft bitterness. The balance of this beer can not be over-articulated; it was absolutely wonderfully crafted.

M - Medium bodied feel with soft carbonated bite. Again, vanilla and honey character is present.

D - This is a slightly heavy beer, not so in the light of a stout or heavy porter, but it is certainly heavy. I don't know how much of this I could have in one night. This is definitely a special occasion brew, and an excellent one at that!

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a rich mahogany reddish brown color with a medium 1 finger head and some reddish hues when held up to the light. The head recedes quickly as expected and true ton the style. Aromas of caramelized sugars, Pete moss, some rich bready, raisins and some rum even come through. Sweet smelling with a slight booze kick. The taste has rich caramelized sugars, sweet raisin bagel breadiness. Alcohol esters come through but are contained with rich malts that are comforting and very smooth. Carbonated to the max, this cuts through my steak easily. Really pairs well but I bet this would be heaven with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Drinkability is perfect. Easy to put back, pairs well with rich dishes and really has that wow factor you look for in a Trappist ale.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

750 mL corked and caged bottle purchased by a good friend. Poured in to a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a maple brown sugar glaze, crystalline around the edges and perhaps crystalline farther in, but it's both darkly hued enough as well as slightly hazed (courtesy of some yeasties) that you can't really tell. An initial explosion of fizzy, sudsy head surges and gurgles and foams forth before collapsing just as quickly, exposing the source of that head - tons of burbling effervescence seething forth from the bottom of the snifter, straight up to the surface as well as rippling and bubbling up the sides of the snifter. Absolutely volcanic at first, though ultimately it does calm down significantly.

Aroma: Cherry juice, cardamom, clove, apple juice, raisins ... a bunch of sweet, fruity notes, bathed in heavily caramelized and toasty sugars, brown sugar, molasses, slight toast. Drastically improves as this one warms.

Taste: Much dryer. A dry but solidly malty beer, in terms of foundation. Well-attenuated brown sugar, caramel, toffee, and dessert bread notes, coupled with a nice handful of fruity notes - cherries, most strongly, but also raisins, dates, slight figs, and faint tropical fruits. Hints of citrus intermingle with cloves, cardamom, and other great medicinal phenols. Not a standout beer in terms of taste, but this is clearly a complex-tasting beer, with a dry (but varied) enough backbone to both keep things interesting and provide plenty of chances for everything to shine through.

Mouthfeel: Initially a fizzy, crisp, over the top, uneven mess, this one really does even out nicely, at least, as of the time I'm typing this. We'll see if it turns in to a syrupy mess soon. Nope. Not yet. Still very nice!

Drinkability: A beer that I was a little less impressed by than I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong - it's a well-crafted beer. But it's a little too subtle, a little too subdued, a little too quirky - process wise - to be a true standout, even with its complexity. I appreciate the balance and the dryness, as well as all the great yeasty notes, but there are a few things missing here that could improve this beer, and I would have hoped and assumed Chimay would have done those things by now (maybe my tastes are just funky). Regardless, it's still a solid well-made beer, and one I'd be happy to have again if the right pairing came along.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a dark murky brown color with a fizzy but frothy tan head. This is making a lot of noise, similar to a poured can of coke. Aroma is full of nice hints; raisins & other dried dark fruits, yeast, sweet caramel malt. A very nice typical belgian strong dark ale nose. Taste is full of spice brown sugar sweetness. I do think the mouthfeel is a bit different for the style; on the thin side of moderate with a thin fizzy feel. A very enjoyable strong dark. Drinkable, but after 1 330ml of these i would call it quits due to the cloying sugars. Also, its not as complex as most other trappist beers.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Lovely pour with speckled appearance.
This has a very sweet fruity taste with some super complex notes. I am never disappointed with any Chimay, as they always have excellent taste in their well crafted brews. It has a bit of a IPA taste to it with its hop notes.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Dark pour with some ruby highlights. Huge 3 finger fluffy off white head; not much retention though. Minimal lacing left on the glass. Poured the whole bottle, so there's some floaties

S: Dark fruit - raisin, grape, fig. Fruit provides a light sweetness. Some yeast mixes in here. Slight twinge from alcohol

T: The fruit and accompanying sweetness are most present. There is a spice also present. Slight smokiness in the finish

M: One of the better beers I've had from this standpoint. Full bodied, with carbonation tingling the tongue. Also coats the mouth. Slightly dry finish

D: Not much more I can say about this beer that hasn't already been stated. Amazing, complex beer that drinks very easy. Try if you haven't already

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I have waited for a truly special occasion to drink this beer. In this case, that happened to be friends and home-cooked Italian food. After pulling the beer out to warm from being chilled in the fridge, I noticed the cork beginning to wedge its way out of the bottle. Incredible power. It was right then I knew this beer would be comparable to a good champagne. My tulip glass is happy to have true Belgian contents swirled and wafted.

Appearance:
The beer pours a dark brown mahogany, but the light reveals it is cherry in color. An outstanding head forms that's almost light brown/tan. Lacing down the glass and ample carbonation (needless to say after almost shooting a hole through the ceiling with the cork). It looks incredibly rich and inviting, not like any beer I've seen.

Smell:
Quick wafting releases a fruity, almost wine-like essence followed by a more subtle yeast undertone. Not a heavy aroma at all, more sweetness seems to be hitting the olfactory. I am also reminded of raisins, cherries and roasted fig with the brim suctioned to my face until my nose starts giving me answers...

Taste:
Unique. This must be some heavily guarded water because they are helping to produce a masterpiece. There are no doubts in my mind that I'm drinking a well balanced beer with deeply protected complexity. There is almost no hint of the 9%abv while drinking, everybody is keeping their mouth shut. It's a good beer and tastes like one, especially if you enjoy Belgians as much as I do.

Mouthfeel:
Feels wonderful. Its caramel smoothness is followed by a refreshing rush of tiny bottle fermentation bubbles. Yes, I have been drinking this beer while reviewing it...but, that's the only way to do it. My first impression from taking a sip is a sweet malt without any bitter in the swallow.

Drinkability:
Drink responsibly. This beer is highly drinkable and highly enjoyable chilled -> RT. You will grow with this beer and it's safe to base your first impressions of a good Belgian ale on this particular interpretation. Drink up and make sure you fully experience everything these wise Trappist monks have to offer.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

A: A half-inch head rests on top of an opaque chestnut body. The head fades quickly leaving a restful remnant in the center.
S: A rich alcohol smell comes quickly. It smells warm, sweet, and inviting.
T: Like the smell, it is sweet and warm leaving the taste of roasted chestnuts on the palate and in the throat. Alcohol warms the mouth and throat. Although seemingly simple it is pleasant to the senses and enjoyable.
M: Light carbonation is appropriate and pairs nicely with the high alcohol content and taste.
D: I'm a little concerned about my ability to finish this bomber by myself tonight, but with proper pacing, this should be a proper beer for a long night of reading.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

A: A dark murky brown color light tan head

S: dark fruit figs with plums and slight alcohol smell

T: less alcohol in the taste then then smell complex deep malts with dark fruits and some yeast in there as well.

M: fairly light mouth for a 9% beer I will say its light to med

D: very drinkable and enjoyable

overall: a great quad deep and complex beer that is consistently great! My highest recommendation!

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Got this as a groomsman's gift. Best gift ever. Poured into a Duvel glass.

The pour results in a dull caramel color with a creamy, tan head. The head dissapates rather quickly while leaving a bit of froth on top.

The smell includes strong caramel malt with a hint of brown sugar and alcohol.

The taste initially reflects the caramel that was in the smell with the addition of Balgian yeast, but quickly evolves into a plethora of spices with a hint of alcohol to round out the flavors in the finish.

This brew lives up to every expectation that I had for it. The Trappists never fail to impress. For all of the complexities that are present in this brew, I am extremlely dismayed by seeing the end of this bottle. A masterful brew brewed by the masters themselves.

THE BEST. My first review, so of course I start with my favorite. What else can I say about perfection in my eyes. Like the perfect woman, only better.

Why does this system say I have to write more words about perfection. Can something so good be done by me? no. Do I even really understand perfection? no Can I explain perfection? no 250 characters yet?

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Shared a 750 poured into tulip glasses.

A: Murky, dark brown with very good head formation and decent retention. Carbonation keeps alive very well during drinking.

S: Malty and yeasty. Just a slight hint of floral hops in the background.

T: Decent malt base with a slightly fruity taste. This has an acidic finish. I can't tell if that is a function of the yeast or the hops.

M: Very creamy and well carbonated.

D: This beer smells very fresh and has a wonderful mouthfeel. Very easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown ruby with a big fluffy off white head that dissipates like the head on a soda and leaves lace everywhere.

Smell: Some light raisin and plum with hints on an some other esters hiding around the in the background. Maybe some clove and some very sweet malt mixing around there as well. Overall not super aromatic for a big BSDA but still very nice.

Taste: More dark fruity esters, with more traditional Belgian yeast clove coming through. The sweet biscuity malt really balances this one out at the finish. Just the slightest twinge of alcohol in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy body with a palate coating slickness.

Drinkability: As just any regular Belgian brew, this one is a huge winner. However it really doesn't stand up to well against the rest of the Trappist brews out there. So if you are looking for your dessert beer and there's no Rochefort/Westmalle/Achel/etc around then pick up a Chimay and enjoy out of a nice big chalice.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Chimay Blue has a cloudy dark brown colour. The head lasts barely 25 seconds but since it is a fairly bubbly beer there are always some bubbles coming to the surface. The smell is fruity with a hint of yeast. This beer has a fruity flavour too and is quite acidic. Actually, it tastes like extra thick Champagne. Like all Chimay beers, it feels great on the mouth: foamy and thick.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

330ml bottle poured into tulip sept5 2010

A light brown with some red after being held to the light, a little too dark to see bubbles but it had a massive beige head that had decent retention and left a few patches of lace

S lots of brown sugar with plum and other dark fruits, some yeast, booze and just a little banana

T what I smell but a little more complex, some dark bread works well with everything else and the booze is a little better concealed then on the nose

M not overly thick but plenty of bubbles cream it up a bit and you can taste it well after you swallow

D for being so young this beer is drinking very well and it's easy to forget it's 9% be careful with this one

I thought I reviewed this one before so I was a little surprised to see I hadn't, I've drank it quite a few times in the last year.
a great beer and everyone should try it, a little age wouldn't hurt its cause but still very nice and well deserving of its spot in the top BA 100

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

I've had the pleasure to move to Belgium recently, and it truly is beer heaven. This Chimay blue is the best one I've had yet, and that is saying something.

It poured from a 330ml bottle into a Chimay goblet, with a great big head that lasts. I had to pour three different segments to allow the head to settle in between.

It's a good color brown, not too dark, not too light.

The taste is everything. You can taste a variety of malts and caramels, and there is absolutely no after taste despite the 9.0% ABV. I'll return to this one frequently in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

An immense head fills the glass to the brim when poured along the side at a moderate rate. The lightly tanned rocky top of the head consolidates and slowly descends as the brew is savored, and emits a flowery, fresh-bread aroma from the Trappist yeast with a hint of the alcoholic esters.

Wonderfully dense and cloudy, the rich mahogany-colored ale delivers in the taste what is promised by the presentation. Thoroughly balanced, the tongue is hit with a round mouthful of toasted malts with a caramel-nut accent and a kind of buttery feel that flows smoothly into a deliciously pleasant, roasted treacle and bitter hops flavor in the back palate.

An excellent accompaniment to the spicy Ho Fan noodles with cilantro and mushrooms at dinner this evening.

Thank you Father Theodore, for isolating this exceptional yeast.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.