Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep brown color with 2 fingers of off white head. No lacing and little bit of carbonation evident.

s - Smells sweet of dark fruits, yeast, some spices, and a little bit of alcohol.

t - Dark fruits, yeast, alcohol, malts, and hints of spice. Pretty nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Feels pretty good.

d - A very nice Belgian. Considering the somewhat low price and the fact that it is readily available in many grocery and beer stores, this is a great beer. Very nice dark fruit and yeast smell/taste, and has a great feel to it. Will definitely have again sometime.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Nose slightly bitter fact that evokes a bittersweet chocolate with spices. Setting mouth is relatively soft but not sweet, then we can sense the presence of sugar candy. The body is reminiscent of the sweet liquor as a liquor slight but spicy in a nice way. Over time, it offers in its smells and tastes a texture close to the port (Maderisation) while keeping its keys spice. The post-taste is it, bitter and slightly metallic without being excessive and remains mild on the stomach, which surprisingly for a beer in this category. A beer to mature.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a St. Bernadus chalice.

A: Pours a very carbonated 1 finger head. Dark brown, chocolate color. Some little floaters and almost entirely opaque.

S: Belgian yeast, dark fruits, raisins, and a slight vinegary note. Maybe a hint of chocolate.

T: Tastes alot like it smells. Smooth dark fruity flavors, with a slight zing from the yeast and vinegar notes. Slight chocolate and caramel notes.

M: Highly carbonated. Not as much as the other Chimay's, but enough to draw away from the feel and drinkability. Taste lingers, but not for long.

D: As noted above, the carbonation fills you up. Very drinkable otherwise. Good, but not the best BSD. Alcohol is hidden well.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened a bottle Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue) with my husband for our first Saturday on Our New Deck party.
We drank this out of Grand Cru tulip glasses. Served at 50F.
Appearance: Poured a good reddish amber with a thick cream head. Slightly cloudy.
Smell: Nice fruit and malt mix.
Taste: Tastes Similar to Rochefort 10. Almost a farmhouse ale overtone. I taste a little celery. Very slight alcohol taste on tongue and palate.
Mouthfeel: Slightly thin mouth feel.
Drinkability: This is a 10% abv beer. There are obviously more drinkable beers, but we drink this quite a bit.
If you're looking for a very good Belgian ale with a 10%abv, this is a good choice. Serving type: 25.4 oz bottle (we drank the whole thing.)

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured bottle into snifter.

Appearance: Had a light brown color that is semi-transparent. Started with a fair, fizzy head but it dissipated quickly. Reminded me a little like a soda.

Smell: Strong fruit aroma surrounding the malt in the background. Almost smelled a little grape-like. Quite fantastic smelling.

Taste: Has a solid malt character with lots of fruit flavor coming to the foreground. The fruit was ever so slightly overpowering, leaving with a bit of a sour/tart aftertaste. Very good, though.

Mouthfeel: Has a fair body from the carbonation, but it felt quite fizzy to me. Again, it seemed almost like a soda or champagne.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. The high alcohol content turns me off a little bit in this area. However, I could definitely see myself keeping a stock of this in my fridge.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Chimay Grand Reserve (blue) 750ml, roughly aged one year.

A moderate pour into a Duvel tulip generated a ginormous, fluffy, light beige head. Quickly dissipates to a moderate layer which provides some nice stick to the glass. Deep brown/red color which allows a bit of light penetration.

Aroma is big, juicy fruits, some malt sweetness, a light sharp/sour note. Some dark fruit and vinous notes as well. Alcohol spiciness is present as well, sort of underlying it all. Very yummy nose.

Taste is sweet, juicy in the middle, with some raisin/prune on the palette, sort of hiding behind it all. Alcohol provides some punchy spiciness, and gives warmth to the palette and face. Vinous taste abounds, and lingers through the end leaving a nice aftertaste. Some other flavors in there as well, so much going on it's hard to pinpoint everything down. Some yeasty flavors, maybe some clove, and a faint bitter at the finish. Finish is almost drying, like cinnamon on the tongue type of dry.

Mouthfeel is very silky, not heavy or watery, but with a great balance. It just feels very lush and luxurious without feeling too full bodied.

I've had this many times, and it never, ever, disappoints. Fresh it is great, but aged a year or so makes this a thing of beauty.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from the small bottle into a Duvel glass. Definitely need to upgrade to the champagne size bottle. This beer is as good as I expected.

Pours a dark mahogony brown with creamy white foam. Continually active bubbles and some foam remains.

Smells of dark fruit and raisins. Some sweetness apparent. The kind of smell that makes you want to start drinking.

Taste is a delicious blend of dark fruit and spices. Some cinammon. Very complex, but with minimial alcohol burn. Very nicely carbonated.

Fantastic Very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into a chimay glass with a finger of head. the color of the head is a slightly tan color, while the beer is a rich brown color.

Smell: The smell is pungent. There are a lot of dark fruits like plums and raisins in the nose, along with some alcohol notes. There is some malt sweetness.

Taste: Upfront this beer has a beautiful sweet dark fruits and peppery spices kinda flavor. Just really complex. There is a little bit of hop bitterness peaking through towards the end. There is a bit of a molasses sweetness that I usually associate with a beer like Old Foghorn.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium to full bodied beer with the carbonation being on the lighter side, giving it a barleywine-esque chewyness.

Drinkability: The heavyness makes it a slow drinking beer and the alcohol is more present than the 9% would have you believe, without giving a straight up alcohol taste (I mean there is a bit more burn than I would expect). Surprisingly, this alcohol characteristic goes great with the rest of the beer and I am really loving this beer. It's a sipper and a great one at that.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

Nice two finger head after the pour. But to my dismay, recedes to a small island of foam before I take a sip. The color is a deep and hazey amber, ambrosia, copper laden hue with strong bubbling.

Yeasty berry, sweet artisan Hawaiian roasted breads, candi sugar, and just enough hops to give this beverage a Belgian beer aroma and not mead.

The taste starts sweet toasted nuts with overwhelming almost roasted sweet bread sprinkled with candi sugar. The middle of the palate is a sweet caramelized fruit, from the yeast and roasted malt combo. But the finish slows things down just a little with some light pine notes from the hops... very light. The feel of this beer is well carbonated cola syrup. But this feeling is not overbearing, but seems to suit this beer quite well.

This beer is a great sipper and would go well with any properly cooked red meat centric meal with a nice brownish sauce of sorts. Or by itself as a nightcap is just fine by me.

This beer is one of the foundations of Belgian brewing.

All though I've been putting off reviewing any Chimay beers because of their widespread notarity, I've tasted it's well deserved.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

The last 330ml bottle from the set of three I bought, which came with this nice Chimay goblet. I have to admit that I was ignorant to the quality of Chimay before I bought that three-pack and will no doubt be filling the goblet with lots more Chimay in the future. I really enjoyed the Red and White.

Chimay Blue pours a cloudy mahogany and ends up with a hazy covering of beige head. Not much retention of lacing.

Big, complex nose. Very bready, Belgian yeast, spices, minerals, oranges, prunes, toffee. Fantastic. The strength recedes in proportion to the head, leaving some room for a little more presence.

The first quality I notice in the taste is apples. Lots of fresh apple juice/apple cider. Quite sweet, though not cloying. There's a drying bitterness to the finish that almost balances it out (not quite though). Some subdued spice. I don't find the flavour to be nearly as complex as the smell, unfortunately. The 9% ABV isn't exactly hiding, making it clear that this is indeed a strong Belgian ale, both in the mouth and on the finish. Apples and alcohol mostly.

The three Chimay's should be looked to as models of good feel for anyone brewing beer. Whatever they do over there to get a feel like this...they definitely know what they're doing in that respect. Creamy, full medium body. Foamy in the mouth in the best way possible. Feels like you're drinking liquid velvet.

I was really looking forward to this one, saving it for last of the three I had. But it's easily my least favorite! Strange. I think this is actually why I didn't check out Chimay for so long: a friend recommended the Blue a while back and I wasn't too impressed. In my opinion the other two are better brews (maybe I'm strange). A well-made and drinkable beer, but if I'm going to be drinking Chimay, I'll take a Red or White any day over the Blue. A letdown only in that my expectations were so high (similar to how I feel about Duvel).

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

poured from 750ml. corked bottle from trader joes($10.99)appearance dark earthy brown w/lively carbonation,nose is exceptional apple,bourbon like smell (fantastic!!!)taste-- one of a kind, that yeast strain and abbaye well water,distinguishes this fabulous trappist brew, in my opinion; the best of its style!!!

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Dark reddish-brown with a medium head, no lacing. Simple, as expected.

S: This beer has a pretty significant nose, mainly dark malts and with hops in the background. Very, very pleasing smell, I must say.

T: This beer isn't quite as big as I expected it to be, but it's excellent nonetheless. If there's one thing the belgians are good at, it's making an extremely flatline, homogeneous beer with high complexity, and this beer is no slouch. You'll want to keep tasting it over and over just to see what else you can pick up. You can bet I regretted getting the smaller size.

M: High, almost Duvel-level of carbonation. Not my favorite feature but the beer is extremely crisp and fresh.

D: This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, and it's a 9%er. Unbelievable.

This beer is an experience, but it is slightly overrated. If you like this beer, try the St. Bernardus Abt. 12. It has less carbonation and tastes bigger overall, but is less homogeneous and balanced.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

I bought this beer at my local Harris Teeter (depending on which one you go to, they have a rather impressive selection). Planned on saving it for a while but ended up splitting it with my girlfriend late one night (Mistake. MOST women cannot appreciate a beer of this caliber. To those who can, I apologize).

This was my first experience with Chimay. Hell, it was my first BSDA. I'm a bit of a n00b. So I didn't have much to base the experience off of, but regardless, I was impressed.

Sweet bottle, complete with a cork at the top. I popped it off and prepared to enjoy.

Color was a sort of reddish-brown. As far as looks goes, it screamed high-quality. Huge, frothy head. A step above any beer I had enjoyed prior.

The smell was rather simple. I figured a whiff would tinge the nostrils a bit, but I only got subtle signs of toffee, and maybe some sort of fruitiness. I'm not exactly sure.

The taste, however, was a different story. So complicated. It was very sweet at first, but as it warmed it became much more complicated than that. Sweet, yes, but also a little bit of bite at the end. The alcohol hits the palate at the culmination of the taste. Tons of malt and hops, as I'd expected. A lot of different fruit flavors, and perhaps a hint of dark chocolate.

The carbonation in this beer was amazing. It felt soo good on my mouth. Its bubbles produced all a massaging effect, and they were fun to watch as they danced up and down in my chalice.

Despite the rather high alcohol content, the beer went down easily. I enjoyed every drop.

I wish I could drink beers like this more often. Alas, I am a poor college student, so these must be saved for special occasions and for trips home when Pops is buying. Great beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Murky brown with a tight, off-white, creamy head. When held to the light it gives off a mahogany glow.

Aroma has dark fruits, brown sugar, some earhty must, and hint of alcohol.

Taste follows suit with grape skins, raisins, and plum leading the way. Heavily caramelized sugar and spicy alcohol are also quite evident. Musty yeastiness adds a measure of complexity to the dry finish, while ample carbonation tickles the palate.

Not the best tasting of this beer I've had, but this is really a world class beer. Complex, bold and soft at the same time, it would stand up well to a variety of food.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

cork says 07/07

pours amber brown with a 2 finger head that has great retention and left some spotted lacing

smell of dark fruits camrel malts a little nutty - just no that strong

taste is great - just like the nose all about the malts fruity(grapes & rasins) carmel light grains nutty

mouthfeel - is very light and smooth - it has lost something in the last few years

drinkability is out of this world - one if not the best BSD's out there

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Hazed deep amber, with scarlet and golden highlights. Big fizzy beige head that had ok retention. Left virtually no lacing.

Nose is sour fruit and fruity esters: dark fruit, apple and lemon predominantly. earthy and spicy toastiness, candi sugar, and an almost ginger bread aroma.

Sour cherries, currants, grapes, lemon, funky apple and pear. Rich candi sugar, toasted bread, dark rum, woody, peppery, slightly medicinal. earthy fruity spicy bitterness.

Bubbly/fizzy, refreshing. dry and rich. smooth and mellow after initial fizz. med body.

Very good drinkability. very complex, great yeast profile, all around great beer. Cellared this for 8 months.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

I've been drinking this for a few years now and was even lucky enough to visit the Abbaye de Scourmont. I guess it's about time for a review.

Let me say right off the bat that this is an all time favourite. An absolute classic. This is the 2009.

Pours a reddy brown that can appear murky from the carbonation and occasional yeast sediment. (Am I alone in enjoying that yeast sediment flavour? Any vegemite loving Aussies with me?) Some effervescent bubbles rising from the bottom, top up an ample head that never dies and leaves amazing swathes of itself down the side of the glass.

The aroma is a delicious combination of lemon and orange rind from the yeast and malt, some dark sugar, more citrus and light oily hops.

What makes this beer a great in my opinion is its balance and complexity of flavour. Mild bubble gum sweetness of dark malts, big veal stock like yeast notes, some more citrus from the yeast, subtle dry hop oils, then finishes again mildly sweet, a touch sour and almost salty.

The body is just viscous and smooth, good mid-high levels of carbonation and with a light tang.I'm not ashamed to say I have had a few sessions on this beer .. (Mind you a session @ 9% doesn't amount to a lot of beer).

The scores that I've given here will sum to less than what I really think of this beer. It really is a 100% all round beast - the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts - especially with some age - and the vintages do differ. I was lucky enough to try the 1985, 1986 & 1987 vintages of this in Antwerp in 2009. Awesome experience

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

The 750ml is preferable to the 11.2oz, in my opinion.

A - It pours a cola brown with a fizzy head that quickly recedes, leaving almost no head. Still, you can see that is a quality brew.

S - The smell is subtle and sublime; dark fruit, fig, brown sugar and molasses, faint cherry, and winter spices punctuate a reserved aromatic bouquet.

T - The flavors of dark bread, fig, dried and dark fruit including cherries are apparent. Very complex and understated. At first it is somewhat unspectacular, but every sip gets better, so that by the end of the glass it is divine.

M - Smooth. And perfectly carbonated for the weight and flavor dynamic.

D - This is a phenomenal beer, worthy of the hype.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Has a dark amber color, and a great head that is at least an inch thick.
Smells of a lighter version of a Belgian Brown.
Tastes like a bit of dark fruits. Also has the roasted malts taste that is not as extreme as some of the 8's.
An interesting beer, and better than I remember. Time to try the other two!

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle into my Chimay Goblet.

A: Dark mahogany with an off-white head a finger thick. It settles quickly, but leaves great lacing on the glass.

S: Faint, but detectable. Spice, caramel, toast, and dried fruit rise from the surface. There is also some molasses and alcohol.

T: Wow. Cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander... None of these are ingredients to the beer, but the malts and yeast add these type of flavors. Also there are flavors of fig, raisin, molasses, and brown sugar. Hops take a back seat, drying out the finish ever so slightly.

M: Medium to full-bodied and packed with flavor that stays on the tongue for some time after each sip.

D: This is what this style of beer is supposed to taste like. I cannot wait to pick up a few more bottles.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A - pours a hazy deep, dark ruby red / brown with a 1/2 finger head

S - some sweeter fruits - a little bit of green apple, mixed with some darker grapes and dates. There is a lot of sweet and grainy malt with spice.

T - the taste fallows the nose to an extent, but not completely. There are some dry, tart fruits that are mixed with some sweet malt, a touch of caramel and some grain. I also taste a lot of grape/darker fruit. There is also a light spiciness throughout that is very enjoyable. There is a nice balance between the malt and the spice that makes this a very solid quad.

M - 4 full and smooth as it goes down - leaves a slight dryness in the back of the throat after it is swallowed

D -This is a fantastic quad that enhanced even more with Chimay cheese. This had a very nice balance, more so than any of the other quads. It seems like most go heavy on the spice, while this has some spice, but not enough to dominate it. I loved this beer and will seek this out again.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Deep tawny brown with a good sized off-white head. Sticks around for a while.

S - Lots of dark fruit and spice (mostly clove). There are also hints of malt and alcohol. Smells quite Belgian.

T - Rum soaked dark fruit (raisin, fig, date, currant), Along with a general spiciness (predominantly clove), Alcohol is also fairly prominent, much more than in other similar beers. There is also a good amount of dark sugar and caramel, but these are not too cloying. Very slight bitterness and the end balances these out a bit.

M - Moderate carbonation and probably on the higher side of medium bodied. It probably could be a bit fuller, but that is just kind of nit-picking.

D - Could probably drink 2 in a night and be fine, any more would probably be too much (even if the ABV was lower). It definitely hits the spot though, and is a nice beer to sip at night.

Notes: I do really like this beer. However, compared to other similar and comparable beers, I don't think it holds up as well. Not really a knock on it, it is just in great company. That said, the availability of this beer is certainly a plus, and if I saw it for a good price, I would be all over it.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice. Dark brownish red in color. Very hazy with a two finger head that disappears as you're watching. It's light tan in color.

Smell is belgian yeast, bread and a bit like red wine. Candied sugar.

Taste is yeasty. Lots of raisins, plums and dark sticky fruits. SOme pear and sour apple flavors too. Not much hops if any going on here.

Mouthfeel is very full due to the high carbonation. Very tingly in the mouth.

Drinkability is ok. I could drink a couple if i wanted to. But i really don't. I was kind let down by all three of the Chimays. I think they are a bit over rated. I honestly doubt i would ever revisit any of these again. Not that they're bad. There's just a ot better beer out there. Over all i would probably give the entire Chimay gift set a 3.75 out of 5. They're worth trying at least once. Plus the chalice is pretty nice too.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Pours a dark brown with 1 finger of beige head. No lacing, but a nice thin layer remains atop a body full of suspended floaties.

S- Fruity, mainly cherries and berries, chocolate malt, candied sugar and belgian yeast. Although the smell is nice, I was hoping for the nose to be a little more robust. I really had to let this one warm up to pull everything out.

T- Much like the nose, starts off fairly sweet from the chocolate and caramel malt, middle and finish is spicy, bready and yeasty. Fruit is noticeable throughout and helps with balancing the flavors.

M- Lighter than what I was expecting. The carbonation is fairly lively, but it manages to remain smooth.

D- This beer does an exceptional job hiding the 9% abv. Definitely one of the better trappist beers out there IMO.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Served out of a 750 mL bottle from my fridge into the proper Chimay chalice, alongside Chimay cheese, fontina cheese, pear slices, and slices of a dry salame.

A: Dark brownish red; it poured with a bright fizzy cream-colored head that died down immediately to a thin lace with constant little bubbles rushing up the glass.
S: Tart, earthy cranberry/cherry (fruits in that order of significance), with a hint of bready malts and caramel. The hops don't play a big role in this one.
T: Whole-wheat bread, tart alcohol with the yeasty cherry/cranberry (fruits in that order of significance) sweetness. Again, the hops are barely distinguishable.
M: Crisp and bubbly like a ginger ale, leaving your mouth a bit dry in the finish. The alcohol lingers.
D: I could finish the whole 750 mL bottle; it's pretty drinkable.

The beer settled the two cheeses down, exaggerated the juice of the pears, and accented the saltiness of the salame. Overall, the pairings were excellent!

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.