Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured from the bottle into a small goblet. Pours a dark brown with a slightly red tint and some cloudiness. Golden tan head that dissipates quick and leaves little to no lacing. Spiciness is the first aroma noticed followed immediatley by the alcohol and the sweetness of the malts. Great flavors with the sweet malts and spicy tastes combined with the alcohol warming and tickling. Feel in the mouth is great with an abundance of carbonation and a clean slightly dry, though medium to full-bodied feel. A very drinkable beer but the ABV limits

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

330 mL bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

A - Opaque red-brown with 10-15 mm of creamy head that dropped to 1-2 mm in a short time

S - Complex - dark fruits & spices along malts, some alcohol

T - similar to smell - spicy dark fruits and sweet malts. overall sweet with noticeable alcohol

M - creamy and full bodied, alcoholic aftertaste, became smoother

D - amazing - really complex and enjoyable aromas and tastes. could easily have one more, will definately drink again. quite possibly the best beer I have ever tasted

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into my Chimay Goblet. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes after taking it out of the fridge.

A: Pours a muddy red-brown color that lets very little light through. A nice foamy head disippated after about 10 minutes, leaving about 1/2 a finger of head primarily around the rim of the brew. Almost no lacing.

S: Roasty malts and dark fruits like raisins and plums. Hints of molasses and alcohol are also evident.

T: Follows nose pretty closely. Lots of sweet dark fruits and sweet malts. Alcohol is also pretty apparent to the point that it detracts from the flavor just a little. Overall, however, a tasty Belgian Dark.

M: A pretty full body with just a hint of dryness in the finish. There are definite warming effects from the alcohol as it goes down.

D: A solid Strong Dark Ale overall, but I like Maudite just a little more I think. I wish the alcohol presence was just a little more subtle.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Part of a gift pack poured into the Chimay chalice provided. Nice bubblly head that quickly disapates into a ring with no real lacing. Heavey aroma of fruit and spice plus a scent of alcohol. Taste is the same with dark fruit flavors mixed with a heavy addition of spices and you can taste the high alcohol in this brew. This is not a beer you can drink a lot of in one sitting, needs to be sipped to enjoy.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

This is my first review. My old man bought me the Chimay variety pack that comes with an 11.2 fluid ounce bottle of Premiere, Tripel and Grande Reserve for my twenty-first birthday. Damn good gift.

A - Poured into a Snifter glass provided by the pack. Appears a burnt red that turns slightly orange towards the bottom.

S - The fruits are most prevalent - plum being the primary. Also a brief sense of clove.

T - May be the most complex experience my taste buds have ever taken on. A multitude of sweet fruits and spices - once again the clove and dark fruits being most prevalent. The alcohol doesn't make an appearance until a little after.

M - Extremely creamy and heavy that is assisted by a modest amount of carbonation. Very pleasing and not overbearing at all.

D - Definitely fills up fast - for me at least. I would have another in an instant if I could.

The Grande Reserve is simply incredible. I'm still working on the beer as this is being written, and I am not looking forward to the last sip.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

750 ml caged and corked brown bottle with blue label. Best before 2014. Very nice cork comes out with a satisfying pop and let's out some nice ''beer smoke'' and kind of tootsie roll like smell. Poured into Jacobsen snifter. Was going to use my Brassin D'Hiver tulip but the back label shows a chalice and so I thought my snifter is a closer match.

L-Very active light-beige head with bubbles of different sizes settles into a 2mm creamy foam. The brew is a very dark brown similar to filter coffee. Almost opaque. When poured looked syrupy but it really isn't that viscous.

S-Dried fruit maybe figs, Yeast, A little tootsie roll, A little salt. Miniscule bit of vinegar but don't let that put you off. Strangely I smell a bit of a fresh vegetable. Tiny bit of alcohol.

T- Starts sweet, Taste follows the smell except for the vegetable part. Cloves. Finishes a little metallic. As it warms, you taste more and more alcohol.

M-Great from the very first sip. Full mouth feel. Foams up a bit as you are about to swallow it. Warming feeling though alcohol taste isn't that strong. Although I wouldn't mind there being more, I think this beer might have a perfect level of carbonation.

D-Great drinkablity... once you taste take the first sip. I don't always feel like drinking one of these but once I start... terrific. I remember the first time I had one. I went to sleep still thinking about it, licking my lips (kind of) trying to remember the tastes and mouth feel.

A great experience. This may very well change, but this is one of my favorite beers, and I am more of a IPA/hops kind of guy.
Taste this beer. Just make sure you don't need to be sober after. For some reason after having one of these I feel tipsier than when I drink some higher ABV's .

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Enjoyed in my Chimay goblet:

Boasts a thin white head with a dark black tea-esque coloration. Liquid is red when held to a lamp, but it's much murkier and imposing when moved out of direct light. The look of this Belgian classic is immediately recognizable and oft imitated.

First smells to hit your nose are a warm waft of alcohol, cherries, dates and other dark, bold fruits. Possesses a sweet, candied aroma that is certainly enchanting.

Flavors are complex; cherry, chamomile and nutmeg are the most prevalent. These tastes are accompanied by a strong alcoholic backbone and profound floral overtones. Conclusion packs a roasted quality as well, which adds a nice muskiness to the total package. A total mindblower!

Liquid coats the tongue like cognac or a smooth, sipping whiskey. It possesses a zippy tingle at the end, which adds pronunciation to the dry notes.

This strong ale is almost too drinkable. My glass was gone before I knew it and I couldn't help but yearn for another taste of this delicious and exemplary Belgian. Definitely an all-time favorite!

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A - poured into a goblet. Big thick foam, opaque brown body with violet fringes.

S - lots of grape, apple.

T - as above well blended with sweet caramel malt, alky quite present

M - medium body, not much carbonation within, but remaining foam makes things very smooth

D - fairly noticeable 9% but still drinkable thanks to classic, well integrated flavors

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I was impressed by the flavor because alcohol content is rather high. Pours to a golden reddish brown color with a medium sized foamy head, that laced the glass. It has a sweet alcoholic aroma with hints of apple, cranberry, maybe a little a little raspberry. There is a definite apple character in the taste which makes this amazing. The sweetness covers up the alcohol flavor well. Mouth is heavy, coating to the inside of the mouth, and the aftertaste is quite pleasant. It is smooth, and not too carbonated.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 11.2oz short bottle into Chimay goblet.

A - Poured a deep thick reddish brown with thin head that hung around. Nice even carbonation bubbling from all throughout the glass.

S - Grape, apple, cranberry, fruit medley. Really strong and really sweet in a good way.

T - Fantastic. Thick and rich fruit medley of grape, cherry, apple, and plum.

M - Vibrant and alive. Good aftertaste. Very even feeling.

D - Very drinkable and delicious. Somewhat thick and filling though so I couldn't see drinking a lot of this in an evening.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Christmas is here and I thought I would crack a Chimay Blue label. This beer pours very dark opaque brownish red. The head is generous at first and forms a thin solid line of foam after. The smell of belgium yeast and malt is a preview for the taste spicy clove and sweet maltiness. The mouth feel is good, smooth but by no means thin. the qualm I can find with this beer is that I found the alcohol burn to be a little pronounced, but after a glass or so I stopped noticing it.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a ~12 ounce short bottle into a Chimay glass. Pours a dark brown with a 2 finger light caramel head. Strong aroma, though I can't put my finger on it. Taste is sweet, but the alcohol comes through as well. While heavy, it goes down very smooth and feels very light in the mouth. Definitely more of a sipper, but absolutely delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Had this baby sitting in my fridge for a while (03/07), my buddy said he liked Belgians so I finally decided tonight's the night. Poured from Bomber to Chimay (and Duvel) glass a thick deep brown with an inch of cream colored head that slowly reduced to sketchy lacing. Smell is heavy spices cloves and cinnamon. Taste is better than I remembered. Fruit, spice and Belgiam yeast meld into a fantastic blend of flavors, with a hint of booziness. I will be replacing this one next time I hit the store. This is a treat that should be in everyones stash.

Dark Cola brown. Shows some reddish brown highlites when held directly in front of the light. Lot's of head production, typical Belgian.

Dried candied date aroma along with some good old fashioned yeastiness. Some alcholic vapor noted as well.

A very tasty sweet malt bomb. Sweet malts, some dry apple, and then the booze warms up the palate along with some nice dark toffee flavours. Finishs dry due to the high abv level with a slight spiciness, clove I believe..

Nice, moderate to full mouthfeel. Not to sticky sweet.

A fine example of the style.

Nice

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Mmm. Delicious. It's a strong drink, but doesn't knock me over. This is some ninja alcohol. I could definitely drink this often.

It's not crazy carbonated like St Bernardus. The cork didn't try to blow my head off, and the head settled low quickly. Still left a great smell in the glass (using a wine glass since the bottle suggests a goblet instead of a pint glass).

I think I'd like to drink this with some sushi, it reminds me of a JB roll. Belgian sushi...why not?

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A-pours a bubbly light tan colored head with a deep reddish brown color that has a nice haze to it. The head lingers for a breif amount of time and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S-a light clove aroma, belgian yeast, and banana hit first followed by a tart cherry, some sweet citrus and plum

T-nice taste of dark cherries, plum, just a hint of clove, and a lightly sweet caramel malt backbone finishing with a pleasant bitterness

M-very smooth and hides the alcohol well, a nice full medium body with a good amount of carbonation and somewhat of a syrupy texture

D-very sweet and tasty with a solid mouthfeel hiding the alcohol very well. well done.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

The Grande Reserve (Blue) is the second Chimay I have had the pleasure of trying. I poured it into an authentic Chimay glass, and I LOVED it. The Chimay Blue could easily be my favorite beer. Tons of sweetness, fruity flavors, and great smells coming from the glass. I highly recommend this one!
Scott

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

G: Chimay Goblet

A: Murky brown-red body with minimal off white head. Quickly dissipates into a thin ring and leaves moderate lacing.

S: Wow, a lot here. Brown sugar, caramel, mixture of dark fruit like raisins and plums. Mild spices and some apple.

T: Mimics the aroma quite well. Sweet malts up front, picking out the brown sugar & caramel quite easily. Plums, raisins, sour apple and a little spicy. Also has a wheaty flavour at the end.

M: Medium bodied, high carbonation. The smoothness and carbonation make for a frothy feeling. Leaves a dry matly/fruit finish. Quite pleasant.

D: Tastes great, it's a load of complexity that it great to drink. All through out the aroma's never died down. This is something I find rare.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

---Vintage 1998---

Pour - the cork is popped and the beer foams a bit from the bottle. Good sign as this means its still carbonated. Poured inton the glass it is murky brown, slightly viscous with some yeast sediment. The head is big, fluffy and white and leaves some nice tight clinging lace inside the glass. So far so good.

Aroma - malty, earthy, brown sugar/caramel, peaches (?), slightly sour (which made me a bit nervous), cherries, apples and raisins. Lots of smells to take in.

Taste - sweet brown sugar, toffee, earthy and mossy. This beer has aged better than I expected. Its slightly oxidized but that does not take away from all the flavors. Its got plenty of malty sweetness but also some yeasty flavors and a good amount of earthiness. Its slightly acidic and syrupy but not in a way that is off putting. Nice brown bread flavors as well. Its delicious and better than I hoped.

Overall - 11 years old and still amazing. This beer has taken on some earthy flavors and definitely become smoother and maltier with a slight bit of oxidization. Carbonation levels were great and overall flavor was excellent. Great beer and one of the oldest beers I've ever had.

Would I buy more of it? - not even applicable.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours a cloudy reddish brown, topped by two fingers of thick foam. The head slowly recedes and finally becomes a persistent ring, with much foaminess left behind on the snifter.

The smell is a strong aroma of yeast, dark fruits, caramel, candy sugar, alcohol, mild spiciness, dark bread, and an edge of floral and bitter. Very alluring, very complex. A cologne of this scent would be pleasant.

The taste. Wow. Full flavored and vibrant, it starts with a wonderful mix of plum, raisin, sugar, caramel, some toasty notes, and goes through a wonderful transition of tastes into a juicy, long finish of mild bitter, deep fruity essences, alcohol, and a light spiciness that leaves a bright clean flavor in the mouth. Marvelous flavor, extremely well balanced, blended, and complex.

Low carb, medium body, good cling, no cloying flavor here, pure clean flavor into an astoundingly good finish. Excellent in the mouth, a masterpiece.

Drinkability is off the charts for a BSDA. I fear if I had a cellar filled with this beer my sobriety would be limited to those few hours I sleep.

Impression: An old friend, this beer is a must try for all those looking for the best beer flavors on the planet.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a nice copper-brown color with some great initial head and decent head throughout; no lacing. Huge deep malty scent; sweet with dark undertones; hints of fig and a semi-candy sweetness. Thick dark taste, very malty with burnt sugar flavors; slight bitterness on the back of the tongue at the end with a little bit of licorice. Goes down smooth, if thick; there is a hint of alcohol in the taste and in the throat as it goes down. Nice Trappist ale!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours dark amber, great lace, little head dissipating quickly. Taste is creamy, fluffy, smooth dark flavors of chocolate and malts. Raison, brown sugar, & fig evident. However, I can faintly taste the alcohol in this one. Sediment floats on bottom. More carbonated than the red. Gives you a warming effect (alc).

I prefer the blue over the red.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its funny, i love most belgian beer and I love german beers, but I am just recently trying Chimay.

Poured the lovely Chimay Blue into the Authentic Chimay Glass. A delicate pour (as per instructions on their website) brings about a wonderfully plump head with excellent lacing. A perfect pour.

Smell: Robust yeast with a hint of cloves. Floral almost.
Taste: So complex, so interesting. I would use the word balanced, its almost difficult to pick one taste as its just so flavorfull. Starts smooth almost like dried fruits with a touch of bitterness. As this leaves, you sense a spiceyness that melts into a dark chocolate bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Superb. I cant even notice the 9% alcohol, its so well hidden in the spice.
The mouthfeel consists of a balance of thick malt and tangy fine bubbles that tickle the tongue.

A true gem of a beer...It hasn't surpassed my favorite Aventinus or Maudite but comes close!

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

A-A dark ruby brown color. Seems to be a bit hazy. The head was not as big as I thought it was going to be. It has settled to a fine off white layer and it looks amazing.

S-Earthy, these beers have always reminded me of a pile of wet leaves in the fall. Dark dried fruits, apricots, blue cheese, a bit of toffee and pepper.

T-When I taste this gorgonzola cheese comes to mind. Alcoholic and peppery flavors dominate. Despite this it goes down relatively easy. Alot of tangy spicyness going on. Bread crust, sour apples. Im picking up dirt/mud flavors (wierd I know). Finish is dry.

M.F.-Carbonation is high, wish it was a bit lower so I can experience the flavor a more, instead it just kind of gets pushed out of the way. A bit watery, but most likely because of the attenuation of the yeast.

D-I like the dryness of this beer. The alcohol is high but doesnt leave you bogged down. However it has a strange twang to it that I just cant get used to.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

drink this regularly at saskatoon's best pub Winston's , pored slowly into a large goblet and let sit for a moment, the smell is like no other beer I have tried to date it is inviting and tastes even better I would recommend picking up a bottle if you ever see one

price-$18 a bottle

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.