Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
guitarmage

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Beautiful. Dark red like a wine, but bright almost pink highlights when held up to the light. Cloudy with sediment with an ample off white head followed by a nice ring around the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt, warming alcohol, fruity esters - ripe plum, apple, pear notes.

Taste: Sweet and toasty, very pleasant alcohol warmth, ripe fruit, finishes dry and clean. Citrusy hop notes. Faint unsweetened chocolate. Banana notes after you swallow.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and lightly carbonated, tingles on the tongue and fades, medium bodied. Not syrupy or sticky, it's so clean.

Drinkability: This beer is delicious. If i had a bunch of these infront of me, with a good meal, at %9 ABV I would destroy myself drinking it. It's smooth and complex, my mouth doesn't get bogged down or saturated with the flavor. Potentially the ultimate session brew, except you'd be hammered.

06-09-2006 03:00:10 | More by guitarmage
51mmz0rz

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Deep dark carmel brown, cloudy, and some yeast floating that I couldn't decant. Light cream color head that retains pretty well.

S: Dark fruits and a nutty yeast aroma. Very slight alcohol. Very complex, I can't pick everything out.

T: As in most beers I've have, the taste up front is foreshadowed by the smell. Sweet Dark fruit and yeast taste, followed by some bitterness and more yeasty flavors.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation, which is relativly high, and definatly refreshing. Full mouthfeel.

D: Highly drinkingable and tasty. I look forward to every sip, though the IBV makes this somewhat dangerous.

For the taste and the smell, I can't pin everything down in this brew. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to indentify things. For now, at least I know it's delicious.

06-09-2006 02:08:31 | More by 51mmz0rz
shererjt

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a deep, opaque brown with a nice tan head. Looked wonderful. Aroma was rich fruit with some phenolics. Malt was there, but it was subdued. Musty. (Note: be sure not to serve this one too cold if you want to fully enjoy the aroma.) Medium-full body, alcoholic, smooth. Somewhat earthy and yeasty. Mouthfeel was lively and amazingly drinkable for a beer this strong.

Very nice sipping beer. At its best when served at the right temperature and out of a wide-rimmed glass. Only thing I would criticize is it wasn't as flavorful as expected.

06-07-2006 03:12:00 | More by shererjt
FenwaySquid

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Presentation: 11.2 oz short fat bottle, no dating of any kind found, poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Poured a deep very dark brown color, almost black but not quite, completely opaque. The head formed about 1 finger thick, a nice cream color, and maintained wonferfully.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy with hints of the alcohol. (It is 9% after all.)

Taste: Extremely complex but so good. I noticed some caramel malts up front that gave way to some fruity flavors that I can't place in the middle. The finish is dry and peppery, the only point you really notice the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, carbonation in excellent balance.

Overall: I like the version that comes in the corked bottles a little more, but this would be a good option for someone who is unsure if they'll like it or not. Definitely worth a try if you've never had it before.

06-04-2006 03:52:15 | More by FenwaySquid
blodgetm

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

This is the first Chimay beer I have had, and now I hope to try them all. Overall, it's a very solid beer, with great complexity that never gets overwhelming.

Appearance: A nice malty, dark brown finish

Smell: A mild fruity aroma, followed by an almost earthy scent

Taste: Here's where it gets interesting. At first, there was a complex malt presence that altered over the course of the beer. The malts were nice and not overpowering, and there was the slightest bit of cloves present. As the beer warmed up, and the pallet built up to the taste, the malts seemed to take on more of an earthy structure.

Mouthfeel: Meduim-heavy bodied, moderate carbonation. Alittle bit dry in the end.

Drinkability: High, granted I can afford more.

06-03-2006 03:11:59 | More by blodgetm
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

My first Chimay beer, quite a lovely experience. Pours a nice light brown color with a good head and retention. Aroma is sweet, malty and spicy. Complex and interesting. The taste follows with a spicy and malty flavor with a nice clean finish from the well-placed hops. Mouthfeel is nice, medium-bodied with a pleasing amount of carbonation and smoothness. This beer is quite tasty, and pretty drinkable for something with an ABV of 9.00%.

06-01-2006 20:55:36 | More by AaronHomoya
BadBadger

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

The blue pours a very dark brown, with dark red ruby tones, with a beautiful slightly off-white foamy head. The smell is fruity, with malty features coming through. The taste is sweet, malty, fruity, with no inclination of the alcohol contained within this fine beverage. The mouthfeel is nice, having a pleasant carbonated fueled fizz hiting the palatine taste buds, and the tongue enjoys a very mild coating of sweetness. A very nice brew. I will enjoy again and again. Certainly give this a try, if you have not already done so.

05-31-2006 23:48:21 | More by BadBadger
gemhooch

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a chilled 750 into an oversized tulip. Cork was dated 1/05.

A - Big head which dissipated within a minute or so. Dark auburn color.

S - Slightly smokey, but I'm not sure if it's just me after grilling. I also mowed the grass today and have mild allergies, so maybe my smeller isn't working very well today.

T- Very smooth, with a touch of malt, a wee bit of date (barely) and other dried fruits. But not overbearing in the fruitiness either. I mean it's not one of *those* beers. A delightful complex brew that's difficult to describe.

M - A bit creamy but not cloying. Very nice.

D - Very easy to drink. It had aged a year and some so perhaps that took the alcohol edge off it. Guess I'll have to drink one right away sometime to see the difference.

Initially I was a tad disappointed as I had very high expectations, but after consuming a few oz. and then a few more, I must say this is one fine beer.

05-30-2006 05:22:12 | More by gemhooch
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

A dark brown, almost black beer, with a frothy head that disappears after minutes and leaves a small layer.
Smell was chocolate and a slightly burned smell, not the explosion I expected.
Taste was OK with burned coffee and caramel with a nice maltbitterness, some nutmeg and peppery notes which give the beer some complexity. Alcohol was not noticable. Body was rather thin and bland, aftertaste was dry.
The thin body and the low complexity do not live up to my expectations.

05-28-2006 15:48:06 | More by Absumaster
daliandragon

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Finally got around to trying this one now that I've crossed most of the other Belgians at my local store off my list. In fact, this may be my last Belgian for a while, its just getting too hot for them now, I'll start again around thanksgiving or so.

Pours thick and heavy into my goblet with a full tan head that recedes to reveal impressively dense sticky lacing. Color is a mellow mocha that brightens considerably under the light. Nose is heavily fruity and drenched in alcohol. Hints of coriander and cherries.

Taste shows impressive restraint as far as alcohol and is much easier to drink because of it. Thick on the malt flavor but surprisingly clean finish for a Belgian dark with smooth but slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel. Still, a delicious, refined ale with unusual drinkability for nine percent on the booze-o-meter.

Definitely recommended, I'll be trying it again soon.

05-28-2006 06:14:20 | More by daliandragon
Beersignal

Quebec (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Small bottle reviewed, exhibits some differences from the 750 ml format I have been told but have never taken the time to fully discover the nuances.

Pours a deep maroon colour with hints of garnet glinting as it is held to the light. The foam is initially generous and spritzy and fades suddenly, leaving a dense film of tan bubbles to float statically atop the brew. No lacing.

The aromas are really what draw me into this beer. This is a cellared sample that I have aged for 3 years so some harmony has been gained in the aromas. It opens with a symphony of malty cocoa aromas, and alternates between firm notes of candied sugar, dried plums, some tanned hide, hints of earth and fungi, as well as mild spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Let the brew warm and traces of vanilla begin to surface through the complex of fruit, malt, spice and yeast. Very pleasant... I could sit here all night just whiffing this sample.

This sample has dried quite noticeably from the cellaring. The mouthfeel is firm but dry, giving ample space for the flavour profile to slowly develop as the beer gains in temp. I first notice malt and spices that fade quickly into a spiral of yeastiness and alcohol. The fruit aromas do not carry over as strongly into the flavours but are perceptible and lead nicely into the long and slightly sour finish. A lingering aftertaste reminescent of cigar smoke beckons me to light up a Partagas Mille Fleurs (available in Canada) and finish the sample with a smoke.

Santé

05-25-2006 01:13:20 | More by Beersignal
wke4estguy

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Pretty slick, the trappist logo adds a little flair.
S- Reminds me of a raw sugarcane extract, mellow coffee, chocolate, black licorice, plums, and pecans.
T-Much more alcoholic than the cinq Cents white, cooked molasses, bitter apertif, chocolate.
M-Smooth, litte coating nice overall.
D-A little pricey for an everyday drink especially if you are drinking it by yourself.

05-24-2006 21:39:58 | More by wke4estguy
jamie2dope

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Lately ive been trying to review a different style of beer every time I come on here. I've had this beer quite few times, and after enjoying it more every single time, I feel that it is more then worthy of a review. Pours a dark color with an eggplant color, sort of black, purple and brown all at the same time. There was a large white head at first, that soon faded into a small white one leaving no residue on the side of the glass. Smell was of dark fruits: raisins, plums, cherries, some sweet sugars also. When i smelled this one i got a bit too close and actually snorted some by accident, oh well if there was ever a beer that I actually wanted to snort i guess it would be this one. Anyway, taste was very sweet and rich, with sugar, juicy fruit, figs, molasses, honey, literally a huge spectrum of tastes going to and fro throughout this beer. Mouthfeel was also exceptional, as it was full bodied and delicious. Let this one swirl around the palate, and notice how many new tastes come through with each taste. I would love to drink these as often as i can, it is that good. This is my favorite out of the other Chimays. Next time i'm gonna have to cellar one or two of these. Cheers

05-22-2006 11:24:58 | More by jamie2dope
Backer2004

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Even though it's been available in NC for six months now, I finally picked this up to bring on a cruise as my one champagne style bottled beer. We enjoyed this one at about 1 AM sitting at the aft of the cruise liner with some Cubans (although I tried to note the qualities before I went for the cigar).

One of my more enjoyable Belgians lately, especially versus the white Chimay. No alcohol taste present, and hint of roasted chocolate was evident. Nice and easy to enjoy, definitely worth picking up again. My non-BA friends loved it as well.

05-17-2006 04:07:29 | More by Backer2004
BigDaddyWil

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 11.2oz. bottle into a chalice.
No freshness or best before date on label.

Pours a dark caramel brown color, with some nice looking amber highlights. A decent oatmeal colored, half inch head forms. Quickly fades, leaving some very spotty lacing, not much. Refreshing green apple smell combined with spices, cloves, and a touch of alcohol. Taste pretty much mimics the smell and finishes with some hop bitterness. Leaves that nice alcohol warm feeling in the gut. Excellent mouthfeel, very smooth, very creamy and full bodied, a bit chewy. An easy brew to drink, even with the 9% abv. An absolute pleasure, let this one warm up to room temp. My first from Chimay, and a good impression was made!

05-17-2006 01:46:47 | More by BigDaddyWil
HoustonTX

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Dark caramel brown, large head that fades pretty fast.

S - Fruit/Alcohol/Hops

T - Wonderful and complex, several fruit flavors, and a very subtle bitter aftertaste. Warming aftertaste is also apparent.

M - Creamy, and fufilling.

D - Excellent.

Overall, an incredible beer, a must try.

05-15-2006 00:05:15 | More by HoustonTX
BrSpiritus

Philippines

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Bought this from the Liquor store I work in. 750ml bottle dated 10/05 poured into a widemouthed wine glass. My first impression was a fruity aroma, cherries mixed with plums. The pour left an excellent head that lingered for quite some time. The taste was a superb mix of sweet malt, blackberries and cherries with a slight hop finish. This a beer I love to drink as a special treat. I look forward to popping into the 3 bottles I have laid down in the cellar from the '03 batch.

05-14-2006 14:15:41 | More by BrSpiritus
TheBungyo

Washington

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Lovely pour. Head is a coarse brown the fizzes away in mere minutes. No lacing. Nose is muted, but what I do smell reminds me of maple syrup and plums. Taste is sweet brown sugar, plums, coriander and a meek hop presence. Mouthfeel is lively. Honestly, I'm not too thrilled with this. Sure, it's one of my favorite styles, but there are so many other beers out there that do it better imo. Save your money and buy a Ommegang or Trois Pistoles by Unibroue instead.

05-14-2006 05:05:13 | More by TheBungyo
asabreed

4.47/5  rDev +4%

33 cl. bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: It has the beautiful dark amber / copper color that I love, which even gets a little hazier due to the yeast that I poured in (not swirled but just tipped the bottle to the point where it dislodged and some got in). Maybe it's the temperature, as this is a dried glass that's been sitting by my sink, but there's not really too much head on this, and I don't know why. I figure it has to be something regarding the way I went about it. Either way, the scoring's doing a good job of keeping the head at about 1/2"; there just isn't much lacing.

Smell: Dark cherry, plum, slight fig and raisins, candi sugar, faint banana, tons of yeast, and a mild phenolic presence. Lots of stuff going on. I don't get much hops at all, but maybe it's curbing the fruitiness and balancing out the malt qualities a bit. Still very nice and balanced well.

Taste: The dark plum and cherry are at the forefront, with lots of awesome yeast in there too (I'm a fan of everything in the bottle going into the glass). Slight fig and raisin comes in midway, and it finishes with a faint coat of hops before sliding into dark tropical fruit which lingers on the tongue. Nothing extremely experimental with the style, but everything's done beyond right here, and that needs to be applauded.

Mouthfeel: Near perfect level of carbonation that provides a filling burst in a way, but not spritzy. It ends up adding to the body and filling it out, or slightly taking away a bit from the body. Either way, it's doing it's job, and this is a pretty silky brew.

Drinkability: Without a doubt in my mind this is the Chimay brew to drink and I know I definitely will again. This is a fresh bottle (as in I haven't cellared it), so I wonder what would happen over time. Perhaps I'll have to store one away. Certainly a great example of the style; nothing flashy but excellent and balanced and delicious on all accounts.

05-09-2006 04:34:05 | More by asabreed
rodrot

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass, this beer had a murky reddish brown appearance with a huge frothy head. Strangely, I could not pick up much of an aroma other than a little bit of a malty, toffeeish smell. The taste was very nice however, quite malty and spicy with notes of chocolate, maple syrup, dark fruit and caramel. It also had a pleasing alcoholic warmth. This beer was full bodied and rich on the palate. Chimay blue is one of my all time favorites and I plan on cellaring a couple of bottles for a future review.

05-07-2006 13:53:36 | More by rodrot
beermanbrian

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a deep dark brown color with nice thick off white head. Smell of dark fruits. Taste is very rich, nice maltyness with fruit and spice overtones. Mouthfeel is awesome, smooth. The best of the 3 Chimay offerings. Overall, just an enjoyable beer. I am now a fan of Chimay.

05-04-2006 00:41:55 | More by beermanbrian
aforbes10

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

from a gift pack containing the white, red and blue along with a chimay goblet glass. pours quite dark and somewhat cloudy with a white head. malty, somewhat spicy odor. taste is pretty darn good. heavy malt character. chocolatey. belgian spices on the back end. mouthfeel is full and about right for the style. good drinkability and with a fairly hard hitting alcohol punch.

05-03-2006 19:28:26 | More by aforbes10
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This 2000 vintage magnum was generously shared by Texashammer. What a gal!

Rusty brown with deep red highlights. The off-white head is soft and generous. Sweet tart fruit introduces wine-like aromas, which touch also on lambic and apple cider. Sweet raisin fruit and dates appear on the palate, with boozy goodness before mid-palate to contribute a generous warmth. Bitterness and dark malt round things out. This regal melding of flavors drinks so nice and smooth.

A rare treat.

05-02-2006 01:09:51 | More by VoodooBrew
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

From a big ass bomber purchased in Belfast (Maine not Ireland) Pours ruby red/brown, smells of dried fruit, like apricots. Tastes the same with some hoppy characteristics and alcohol, but seems to fade out quickly. Moputhfeel is ok, but a bit thin for a Belgian like this. Overall it's pretty good and will have it again and again but it's not great.

04-29-2006 02:01:59 | More by Manosbeeroffate
clickpush

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour: 750ml bottle to wide mouth wine glass. Pours the color of then coffee with a half inch of light brown head that melts down to a thin, soft looking coating with plenty of lace.

Nose: somewhat fruity like cherries and plum. I was kind of dissapointed that it wasn't stronger though.

Mouth: Excellently strong carbonation with warm, alcoholic exhale that was strong enough to make my ears tingle. Tastes of toffee, coffee, and malt.

04-27-2006 22:52:13 | More by clickpush
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.