Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Comes out of the tap an opaque rich chocolaty brown with a thick, fine-bubbled head. Aroma is strong and malty, and has an undertone of caramel. Flavor is thick and mouth-filling, malty with strong smoky and nutty hints and a touch of caramel and sweetness. Finish is smooth and very satisfying. Better on-tap!

Cyberkedi, Oct 14, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a dark brown color with a one-finger head. Cloudy. Carbonation seems low.

Aroma has a hint of raisin and dark fruit. Seems mellow enough upfront.

Taste is sweet and fruity with hints of raisin, dark fruit and even chocolate. A bit of alcohol burn as well.

Mouthfeel is raisin and dark fruit. Some alcohol burn.

You'll have to excuse me for what seems like a dull review. This is a very nice beer that could use some aging. Carbonation seems high in the taste and I just think it would taste better if that mellowed out. Otherwise, worth a try if you like this style.

Brad007, Oct 11, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Note: The store that I bought this from is one that I have to ride my bicycle to and from, hence the sediment got disturbed considerably and consequently was poured into the glass with the beer.

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice, yeast and all.

A - Dark, cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin film of bubbles. Virtually no lacing to speak of.

S - Tons of dark fruit. Cherries, plums, and berries are joined by more subtle earthy tones from the yeast.

T - Dark fruits persist and dominate the palate. Some red apple comes through as it warms. Bready yeast flavors and a hint of brown suger are present throughout. The complex sweetness presented by the different fruit flavors is impressive.

M - Full-bodied and incredibly rich. The yeast added a great deal of creaminess to it. I'm actually glad that I wasn't able to keep it in the bottle.

D - Very smooth and absolutely delicious. The alcohol remains completely hidden. This is a great beer for those nights when you're craving something refined and complex.

pwsoldier, Oct 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Today is an important day for me... I am marking my 150th review for tomorrow - when my wife and I have our third child (and our second boy!). Initially, I wanted to have some friends over and crack my Firestone Walker 11th for this special pre-day celebration day, but because my wife isn't doing so hot at the moment and doesn't have the capacity to entertain, the 11th will be saved for another day soon!

Presented in a cute, 11.2 ounce brown bottle. The only evidence of a batch or born on date states "L08-010". Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice at the recommended 45 degrees.

A: Pours a super cloudy, root beer brown with a medium sized bubbled, fizzy light tan head. As the beer pours, I can hear the champagne-like fizzing. The initial foamy heads dissipates quickly leaving small eddie-like formations of tan fizzy bubble oo the surface as I type - unique.

S: Ahh yes, the lovely smell of a fine Trappist beer returns. Wonderful mix of super white bread/dough yeasts with faint hints of dark fruits and molasses. A real treat on the nose.

T/M: Champagne-like, super light body with high amounts of carbonation throughout the entire glass. Interestingly Light bodied - yet complex variety of flavors including molasses, black licorice, figs and an almost root beet/sassafras quality - a real treat on the palate. Per the label, 9% ABV, but where is it? Ahh, there it is... toward the bottom of the beer, the warmth from the alcohol shows up. I can see how this one would improve with age now... My, that's hidden well.

Overall, this is your classic sipper. This one's intended to be enjoyed slowly and savored - very nice.

beachbum1975, Oct 08, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Chimay Grande Reserve Blue, 9/14, small bottle poured into tulip glass
Belgian Strong Dark Ale, ABV = 9.0%, cals unknown

A-4.0, dark malty cloudy color, okay head, but went away quicker than "usual" could be the small bottle?
S-4.0, malty smell, subtle sweetness in the background like caramelized sugars
T-4.5 - Malty, hints of sweetness, caramelized candy and apple notes in background
MF-4.0, soft, smooth balanced on palate, some noticeable carbonation on finish, slightly bitter on finish
4.5 - I really dig all Chimay products, their history and the pay it forward feel-goody-ness that your consumption goes to a good cause!

unclejimbay, Oct 08, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Beer tasting at the Shack

A - Chocolate foam, brown body, looks semi-unfiltered, and leaves nice lacing.

S - Bread, plums, and dark candi sugars.

T - Bread, figs, plums, dark candi sugars, and slight earthiness.

M - Perfect. Flawless. The malt and hops meld together so well and is much better than the nose where the hops are non-existant.

D - Very drinkable. Don't be deceived, check out the ABV.

MisterClean, Oct 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Dark hazy brown color with a good creamy light brown head.
S - Very sweet and fruity aroma
T - This has very balanced flavor between the sweet malts and fruity flavors. I liken the fruits to a tart apple. There is also a presence of an alcohol flavor.
M - medium bodied with good carbonation that cleans the palate.
D - Goes down well.

BeenJammin, Oct 08, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle poured slowly into a St. Bernardus (the blasphemy [SP?] !?!!?!!?!) goblet.

A: Slightly chill hazed, slight bit of sediment made its way into the beer, but otherwise clear and dark, sort of cola-like with just as much head and just as lasting. Sort of dissapointed with the look of this one so far.

S: Doughy sweetness, figs, dates, and cloves.

T/MF: Tight, prickly carbonation, full bodied but quite a bit bubbly, like champagne bubbly. Spicy, not too sweet, there is some bit of it in the close but spice and a mild alcoholic heat take up most of the stage with this beer. Bit of black pepper, more booze that I would care for in a beer. Finishes a bit grainy and leaves the tongue a bit prickly with the sides of my tongue (the sour taste buds right?) acting up.

D: I think the look of this beer may have killed the rest of the drinking experience for me, I was expecting big things and was dissapointed with the end results.

Note: I am getting frustrated with my glassware and/or the way this beer might have been sitting on the shelf for a bit too long. I've got no head and no lacing on a beer that should have tons of both. I hand washed the glass with lots of baking soda and hot water and rinsed and rinsed, still the head just evaporates. I don't think my method of washing is off because this process has worked wonders before, I just don't get what is going on here. My only chance is to grab another, new looking bottle, somehow, and give this beer the second chance that I know it deserves.

bluemoonswoon, Oct 07, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Finally getting around to trying this one again. It's been years, and I figured it's time to start knocking out some of the Belgian Classics.

Pours a dark brown, deep amber color with a nice light tan color.

Aromas are of cola, breads, nuts, and a bit sweet smelling as well.

Taste is spicy and crisp up front. Then settles into creamy malts, sharp nutty and bread flavors, and finishes with a dry bitter, almost champagne like crispness. Unlike some other Dark Belgians, this one seems more bold and in your face. And that's not a bad thing... I like it.

Mouthfeel is ok, but not really what I like. It just seems too crisp and carbonated feeling. I just like this style to be a bit more smooth and full feeling.

Drinkability is good. This is an excellent take on the style. Unique, and something every beer fan should try.

flexabull, Oct 04, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This unique beer is one of the best beers I have ever had. I buy it from time to time (it's a tad expensive I paid $3.50 a bottle at the government liquor store here in BC) when I am in the mood for a slightly heavier beer, it's 9% alcohol, so its a bit on the heavy side, you can't drink too many, and I usually only buy one or two.

It is such a pleasant flavor, nutty, rich, warm, toasty, full and complex.

God bless the monks that make this stuff! :)

barleysandwich, Oct 03, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Dark Brown. Solid. Lots of full thick head on top of the pour.
Smell: Sweet and fresh. Musky malt.
Taste: Very smooth. Medium carbonation. Hints of caramel and a mild sugary type of sweetness. Slightly sweet bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Holds the carbonation well.
Drinkability: Very drinkable. I definitely plan on drinking this beer again.
ABV: 9%
Serving Type: 750ml bottle poured into a wine glass.

Yes - this is a review of another beer I knew I would like. Why? Well - a number of reasons. One thing I absolutely love about beer is the story and/or process behind it. Chimay comes from a Belgium Monestary, and has been brewed by the monks since 1863 (1+8+6+3 = 18. My lucky number and Chai in Hebrew = "Life and good luck". Coincidence?) Anyways, Chimay was one of the first premium beers to my knowledge that started driving the prices of up - and made drinking beer, as sophisticated as drinking a fine wine. So - history lesson aside, this still truly is a great beer. Easy to drink - but don't EVER drink this from the bottle. It should still be cherished and enjoyed properly. This ain't no Budweiser (though - I do appreciate a quality Bud as well). Don't rush through this beer. Drink it slowly, but while it's still cold. Enjoy the sweet and malted scents and flavors. I have yet to meet a beer drinker that doesn't like this beer. It's pretty much a quality standard.

SFRider, Oct 02, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

this is one of my all time best beers ever tasted-warm to me heart!!!
Poured into a snifter...dark brown, murky & had a fair bit of lighter sediment that stood out. Not too carbonated...although a creamy off white head with no real lacing.
Aroma was bewdiful: sweet sweet sweet, fermented fruits big time, banana, maybe some port,just a big whiff of beatiful deep sweet malts & fruit...love it.
Taste was easily just a good if not better. Well carbonated, complex, Alive, very fruity, very ripe. Slightly spicey with cloves & peppery...& a dark finish - some roasty malts, & little smokey & rich...& no hint of hop bitterness to be found, the taste of alcohol warmth rounded this drop out to be exceptional...absolutely love it.
Mouthfeel was smooth, creamy, full & a little spicey & alive.
Overall if you are looking for complexity then definately give this a go...& despite it being heavier, & the ABV is evident I just want to keep going back for more...
Give this one a crack!

WHROO, Sep 30, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from the 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

Pours a dark brown with a everlasting creamy head

Smell is absolutely fantastic slightly fruity but more malty

Taste is excellent not sweet but fruity with a strong prune flavor that lasts. The interesting thing about this beer is it can be tasted at different temperatures producing unique flavors that are different within each range, unlike most of the dark trappist beers that are usually good at a certain temperature.

This is a silky smooth beer that could be compared to a top class aged wine in smoothness.

As long as you sip and enjoy this excellent brew it could be enjoyed all night.

paulaner, Sep 27, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Grande Reserve had a very large off-white head.

Smell: Imagine a large pile of smashed up raisins and bananas. Let the pile of smashed fruit rot for a while and thats what it smells like...DELICIOUS.

Taste: To quote the original scribbled notes I wrote when reviewing this beer, "Damn!!!". Yeah, it tastes pretty good. Dark complex fruity taste.

Dark, smooth, rich, and tasty.

BierFan, Sep 25, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served at Volo in Toronto from a 330ml stocky bottle, into a Chimay chalice.

A: Pours a smoky hazelnut, with a creamy half a finger head.

S: Dark spices, such as clove and cinnamon. Fruits such as apple, plum, raisins, and red wine.

T: Apple Pie and raisin maltiness, light alcohol finish.

M: Smooth and creamy

D: The critics don't lie. Fantastic - one I will definitely have again.

bigkahunas4, Sep 23, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured this into a clear glass, it poured a nice deep brown like color, with a nice tan head, hardly any lacing at all.

Smelled fruity, roasted malts, some hint of grapes.

Taste was really good, this is the best balanced beer I Had, what suprised me was that I didn't notice any bitterness to it like most other belgian beers, nor the alcohol also.

I would say this is very drinkable

tr4nc3d, Sep 20, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I split this 75 CL bottle with my roommate (it was his) and poured it into a snifter.
Appearance: Very carbonated, brown body, big light tan head, poor retention, ok lacing. Lots of bubbles.
Smell: Sour, fruit, almost like a flemish sour, grapes.
Taste: Nutty, sweet dark fruit.
Mouthfeel: Tickely.
Drinkability: Rather tasty.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Sep 17, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Pored into a Belgian Goblet

A: Thin white head with a deep reddish color, no laceing.

S: Sweet dark fruity with a slight wine aroma and a slight alcohol aroma.

T: Slightly fruity with some roasted flavor.

M: Upon hitting the tongue the carbonation releases with a sharp bite.

D: Easy drinking with great flavor I would drink thins beer all night long.

Roeters, Sep 16, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

330 ml bottle served to me at The Last Resort in Athens, GA. Was actually served in a standard pint glass. Hopefully a talk with the bartender will get them to go to an oversized wine glass at the least.

A: Poured a very rich, dark brown with a finger of off white to tan head that had some decent retention to it. The head didn't last forever though, diminishing to a nice, foamy ring that left some soapy lacing. The oil slick-like consistency really coats the glass and is quite impressive.

S: Smell is of some really nice belgian yeast, roasted malt, nuts, dark, dark fruits and hint of chocolate. A touch of the booze comes across in the nose but it is a sweet booziness.

T: Taste is really nice. Yeast is there with what you expect from a Belgian style, but the roasted malt really adds some nice notes here. Vanilla, nutiness and dark fruit add some dimension in the middle. The finish is not that much unlike a thick, sweet port. Very nice indeed.

M: This has a nice, thick, oily feel that really coats the mouth allowing all of these flavors to be enjoyed. Carbonation is light but still makes the brew easy to drink and somewhat refreshing. This brew goes down remarkably well and easy. Very nice again.

D: This beer is a bit heavy in the booze as it warms, so I wouldn't want much more than one bottle in a session. Still incredibly well crafted in all categories and is so damned easy to enjoy. Very good.

everetends, Sep 14, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

330ml bottle served in a chalice. Bottle conditioned. Poured a hazy dark amber with a thin off white head. Fruity aroma with some peppery spice. Medium to full bodied with some malt sweetness. Rich mouthfeel. More fruit in the flavor. Spice in the finish and the signature Chimay yeast flavor. A little hop bitterness in the finish as well.

homebrewhawk, Sep 13, 2008

Chimay Grand Reserve review

When I was checking out all the reviews I've written the other day, I couldn't believe that I hadn't yet reviewed my absolute favorite Belgium ale Chimay Grand Reserve. I figured it was my duty to pick up a bottle on the way home and pick up a bottle to write about. I remember trying this about two years ago and not liking it very much, but my palette has since grown. I popped the cork on a 750 ml. bottle and poured a good sample into a Chimay chalice that I got last year in a gift pack. There wasn't much of a head once poured; I took great care not to disturb the yeast sediment resting at the bottom of the bottle. The color was a deep, rusty orange, with very little light penetrating the chalice. The aroma was sublime with hints of dates, figs and yeast. I had read originally that this beer was once only brewed at Christmas time, which does explain why this particular ale reminds me a Barleywine. The taste is sweet, almost like port with deep fruits and a peppery aftertaste. This ale is a champion and should be enjoyed as often as possible. Grab a bottle or two and sit down to enjoy a epic masterpiece.

steelcutoats, Sep 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a 750ml bottle to pint glass. Dark brown color with a big maroon fluffed head.

Complex yeast aroma with dark malts. maybe a touch of vanilla

tasted roasted nutsand malts, fruits and a dry finish. Mouth feel is medium bodied.

If i could afford it i would drink this everyday but being 10 dollars and over at some places i might get it again in a month or two. A very nice brew thats different and keeps me wanting more

Silenus89, Sep 12, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I am going to add more to this later in the week, but i wanted to tell a story about this beer.

I have always been into good beer but i would slum around with cheap beers cause i was young and stupid. I began working for a liquor store. The chimay bottles would stare at me all day long and just ask to be drank. The first time i had this beer, i was under the influence of a plant that grows like a weed. I was a bit emotional. I drank this for the first time out of a chimay glass. Thanks to my brother for being a giant beer expert and having such handy things just lying around...Anyway when i drank this for the first time i wanted to cry. it was one of the best things i have ever tasted. It was so flavorable and balanced. To me....i could drink 3 750's of this and be a very happy boy. The next day all i wanted to do was drink another one. I jones for this beer everyday i am alive, I feel like a crackhead

This beer was the muse that made we want to learn more and more about beer, and never ever drink a domestic macro brew for the rest of my life. So here i am on my journey to learning more and more about how great good beer is and its all because of one little bottle of this wonderful Chimay Grande Reserve.

The first time I drank this can be comparable to spending a night with young britney spears.

BergenZero, Sep 10, 2008

Got a 750ml bottle with a cork. Fanshy

A- Opaque brown-pink deep-earthy color. OK head but the actual liquid holds the beauty

S- Smells like sweet liquor and clean fruits

T- Taste is excellent with dark fruits covered in alcohol and a good balance of bitter and sweet.

M- Feels great. Medium body and some bubbly carbonation

D- For the 9%ABV this is unbelievably smooth and drinkable in large quantities

EnojysAnyBeer, Sep 07, 2008
4.3/5  rDev 0%

330ml bottle into a Delirium tulip.

Pours a dark, ruby-rimmed brown. Insane head lasts for almost the whole glass, but leaves surprisingly little lacing. Beautiful nose on this thing. Plum, raisin, anise, coriander, and a hint of booze. The dark fruits and spice form a perfect balance on the palate. Wonderful. Medium mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation, but not too bubbly to prevent the flavor from lingering. Very drinkable.

there's a reason that Chimay is the first thing people think when they hear the word Trappist, and this is it. A must try for any beer lover.

0110x011, Sep 05, 2008
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.