Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

11.2 oz bottle with Chimay Goblet

2007 vintage.

This one is a dark brown amber color, very active and lively, especially the yeastie bits in the center of the glass. Gyser-like bubbles rushes to the surface to create a classic, brown-tinted, tight, soft, sticky three-fingers deep head. Disspates in moderate fashion for the style but leaves plenty of surface foam.

The nose is of sour-fruity yeast, toffee and mild chocolate malt with fresh, veggie, grassy scented hop.

THe balance of flavors is sublime. A clean, semi-sweet malt hits first. There's a rich fruity tanginess from the wonderful Belgian yeast. The hops come mostly in the finish with a very herbal and earthy effect.

This is a smooth, full-bodied feel but very clean on the palate. Lively carbonation keeps this crisp to the fisnish.

high quality stuff.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

25.4 oz. bottle, 2007 Vintage,

A: Pours a purple brown into a Chimay chalice with a fair off-white tan head, fair retention, fizzy.

S: Smells heavily of dark fruit, fig, and sugar.

T: Big malt flavour hits you at first then comes the fruit, grape juice, almost winey, prune, and fig, with complex yeast esters.

M: The carbonation gets in the way of the flavour too much sometimes in this one, but not bad for a BSDA, medium-bodied, smooth.

D: Chimay's best beer, a classic, I think there are better examples of the style out there, but this is still really good. Serve at a minimum of 55 degrees.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

My first review.

Poured from a short bottle into the closest I have to a goblet(Guinness pint glass).

Not quite an inch head that didn't stay too long. Very carbonated, both visibly and in your mouth. The reddish-brown color is very hazy from the yeast and looks beautiful when held up to a light.

I love the balance of this beer. Lightly fruity, somewhat malty and can definitely taste the alcohol in the end. Something I could relax and slowly sip on while reading a book.

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Pours a dark reddish color. A nice 1 inch tan head. Lacing that coats the chalice then slides down. Lots and lots of yeasties.

Smells spicy and sweet with carmel. Not a lot in my nose now over all that peppery spice.

Ohhh man. My first tatse is almost heaven. Dominate carmel malts with just a touch of funkiness. Dark fruits abound. yeast yeast yeast, yum yum yum. Somewhat alcoholic but hidden well with the malts. This taste is not for the timid!

Mouth feel is sweet up front with a dry swollow. A bit too carbonated. Aftertaste is alcoholic and spicy hops. There seems to be at least 6 "layers" to this beer. Very complex. BUt each sip is consistant until the bottle is gone. NICE!

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A--Poured from 11.2 oz glass shorty into glass goblet. Moderate tan head with some lacing. Deep raisiny brown. Thick and hazy.

S--Rich, sweet and fruity...and just a little boozy. Deep malt, molasses and raisin, coinciding with appearance. Modest overall scent. Detectable yeastiness but not overly sour.

T--Instantly delightful! More carbonation than it showed in pour. Unassuming but certainly not boring! Sublimely balanced, Up front sweetness and fruity maltiness, great booziness that is not overwhelming, then phenols briefly pop up, followed by just a faint twang of yeast and bitter to round out the balanced finish.

M--Loving the carbonation. Clean and crisp and feeling a lot lighter than a dark 9.0 ABV. Holds up in the mouth well enough to leave you with the gift of a sweet, bready aftertaste.

D--Uh oh. Amazingly drinkable at 9.0! I can see this being a year-round favorite too.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Poured beautifully into my goblet (unfortunately, it was a St. Bernardus rather than Chimays, but it all worked just the same). Poured a dark, murky brown... lightens towards the top, about 3/4 - 6/8 of the glass, topped perfectly just over the brim with a creamy, offwhite head.

S: Rich, dark fruits and alcohol spiciness. Caramalized sugars

T: A silky taste, very deep and complex... it blends together very well and I have trouble picking out distinct flavours. Dark fruits + ripe fruits, alcohol, something of a sweetbread.

M + D: Smooth and rich... an excellent sipper, and another that would compliment some sharp cheeses very nicely. Well deserving of the reputation of trappist quality. Something I'd like to come back to and try again after some time in the cellar.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

1999 vintage

My first review! I guess this was the first beer I felt I really HAD to review.

Surprisingly lively carbonation (after all this beer is nine years old). Deep, reddish-brown colour, two finger off-white head with surprisingly good retention.

Complex vinous smell; dried fruits, port, burnt sugar, Belgian yeast, and a touch of something I can only describe as cigarette smoke.

Incredibly complex taste! I pick up port, muscovado sugar, dried fruits (plums and particularly figs), maybe a hint of toffe. There is a certain harshness that blends with notes of yeast. Warming alcohol in the finish.

Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel.

I think this is the best example of the style I've had (with Rochefort 8 a close second), and significantly better than other vintages I've tried.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2 oz stubby brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a oversized wine glass. L07-130

A: Deep brown pour with next to zero visibility. A 1/2 inch head forms and dies to a thin skim. A little bit of lacing.

S: Deep dark pulpy fruits and a warming alcohol smell. Rum soaked dense bread with some yeasty esters.

T/M: Nice boozy dark fruits that seem to drip with pleasant warming alcohol. I thought about crackin' open a DFH Olde School to warm me up after working in the snow all night and day but I think this'll do just fine. Plenty of dense, doughy bread with a touch of sweetness. Body is about medium and holds plenty of lively carbonation. Finish with a drying alcohol effect.

D: I'm really starting to come around on the the Belgians. It sounds so dorky but I swear that the Westy's have opened my eyes. At 5-6 bucks a bottle, I won't be getting this very often but I certainly enjoyed it.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured a nice caramel color with a tightly knit head and effervescence welling from the depths of the beer.
I was surprised at little or no lacing.
I'm puzzled-- generally this beer's flavor profile is much like its head-- tightly knit brewing. But where's the beef? I mean-- OK, it's not a stout, it's not an Ale, it's a Belgian--- but where's the flavor? I taste a hint of caramel, alcohol's dryness, and a teensy weensy peep from the yeast but maybe it's me-- nothing else to speak of. There's flavor body-- but no "wart on the miller's nose". There's a nice clean lasting finish, but once again, I can't coin anything that sparks my imagination-- or my accolades. When browsing the wares at my fave "packie" and I see this beer, will I stop and remark "Oh that one's enjoyable" or do I pass to the next goodie? So far I move along.
I'm still straining to find something to clap my hands over... nice bottle with a cork 'n' cage.

Mouthfeel is congenial. Very nice I keep sipping and straining to taste the Belgian countryside.

Drinkability-- If I were any place other than home, I don't think I'd quaff another pint. Why bother? Well OK, if I was after the side-effects of the 9% ABV but this stuff's expensive.

Maybe the beer's too young to really flower, perhaps a few years in the cellar might suddenly unleash this beer's potential. But generally my sentiments are, ho hum and a yawn... and $11 for 750ml? My eleven bucks are better spent elsewhere... I'll try it again but let the beer age for a few years and report back then..

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a good Belgian! It poured with a dark brown/black body and a big white head that surprisingly didn't leave a lot of lacing. The taste had notes of rich fruit, port, and spices with a dry and very warming alcohol finish. Just the right amount of carbonation is present. It's also very drinkable considering the high ABV. This one lived up to the reputation. It would be the perfect companion to a rich chocolate fudge cake.

Murky brown with a head that quickly dissipates.

Smells of fruit, cloves, and alcohol.

Taste is hard to describe for me. Raisins, spices, fruit (apples, figs?), bread, and a long satisfying dryness with warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel smooth, then quick to carbonate.

I think belgians are still growing on me, but I did enjoy this and the taste had some nice complexity to it. Easy drinking with mellow flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Aggressively poured dark murky brown with a two finger beige creamy that fully lasted into a wide mouth wine glass. No lace hung around on this one. Upon popping the cap, a blast of blond tobacco and sweet nuttiness hit my nose. Maple syrup, white raisin and cola follow in scent. First taste, a smooth medium oily body coated the palate with a sweet caramel malty that quickly following. Cola and toffee hid well in the middle with a nutty lemony ending. The ending is accompanied by a long lasting light fruity alcohol flavor. Overall, this brew rocks.
Chimay is smooth with robust flavor and aroma that makes this a dangerous brew to drink. After 5 of these babies, life becomes more interesting. Enjoy

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

The final bottle from the Chimay gift set that my girlfriend bought me this christmas. 11.2 oz bottle poured into the chimay goblet that was packaged with the beer.

Dark brown copper color, some yeast sediment, Light tan head with little retention and lacing. Thinking that perhaps the glass wasn't washed and rinsed well enough.

Smell and taste were sweet dark fruits soaked in lots of booze. Pretty standard issue for the style, but it stands out by not being overly sweet or syrupy. Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation, the relative lightness makes this one pretty drinkable, especially conisdering the 9% ABV. I liked this a lot, but it didn't blow me away. I would like to cellar a couple and see where they go. Very solid and nice, not my favorite, and its reputation precedes it, so no need to even bother recommending it.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Grabbed a 2007 bottle and poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark brown with some ruby highlights when held to a light. Big fluffy head of about an inch that will not go away. Great lacing on the glass.

Aroma did not seem as great as the last time I experienced it. Malty, dark fruit type aroma with little alcohol present. A little bready.

Tastes of dark fruits, plums, dates, raisins. Great yeast presence and some herbal earthy notes.

Excellent mouthfeel, I love the high carbonation level on such a smooth drinking beer. Creamy and delicious. Quite drinkable, but wouldn't want more than a glass or two at a time.

Always worth it, how can you really go wrong with Chimay. There are other Belgian Strong Darks I would rather have but this is a solid go-to choice.

Poured into a chimay goblet with dinner last night. Pours a mahogany red/brown color with light tan head. Very nice carbonation with small bubbles. Great sweet fruity aroma witha hint of alcohol. Taste is sharp at first and settles as it sits in your mouth. Great oaky malt type flavors. This beer warms me up as I sip it. Very smooth finish,a s the flavor is full up front and then dissapates leaving a slightly alcohol flavored finish. A great beer overall.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

This was the first beer that made me truely start to appreciate beers. The reviews I am uploading today and tommorrow are made from the tasting notes I have with me, as well as thee reviews I upload to another site.
Looks like a coke with a frothy mountanious head till you hold it up to the light where you can see the opaque off red tint. It's aroma is nice, but somewhat faint. The taste is beautiful, with just the right kick to make it fun. It goes down creamy smooth, the texture is perfect. To top this all off, the price is right! Bought as Chimay Ale: Peres Tappistes: Grand Reserve in Dallas, Texas.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into my Chimay goblet. Ruddy, cloudy, and yeasty. Very dark and opaque with a perfect tan head that leaves tons of lacing.

Entrancing aromas of dark fruits with a little peppery alcohol.

Flavor is rich and fruity, with tons of plum and fig. Burnt caramel, molasses, tobacco, and some nuttiness also appear.

Smooth on the palate, with the moderate carbonation slicing through the full body. Great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

With much excitement, I rushed home with my new beer after a hesitant pause at my local grocery store. After reading many reviews on this beer I was anxious to give it a try...

Appearance: Dark Amber Red in color, cloudy. Large head that dissipates quickly, little to no lace.

Smell: Great Smell, very sweet fruit tones. Dates or raisin smell. A bit Yeast like.

Taste: Much like it smells, Sweet tones of raisin followed by a a semi sour ting of yeast. The taste of alcohol is a certainly present, slightly more the I like, but expected for a Belgium Dark Ale.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth. Feels very wet on the top of the palate but turns dry on the back.

Drinkability: Nice Beer, at first I felt the ABV was pulling thru to much thru the taste but as the beer got higher in temperature the sweet tones and flavor came thru. Drinkability is high but marked down for the level of alcohol taste that is present.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

1999 Vintage.
330 mL bottle.
Served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Dark red/brown with a large head.

Smell: Plums, raisins, yeast.

Taste: Burnt candy, raisins. Diacetyl. Slight alcoholic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Decent amount of carbonation, but still very drinkable. despite the 9% ABV. Gets better as the temperature rises with more aromas and tastes appearing.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Cork dated 04/06: aged 22 months. 750 ml.

Served at 61 degrees F/ 16 degrees C. Big wine glass.

Attractive color, red bordering on rusty brownish orange. A finger of beige head. Lace like a herd of small dinosaurs.

Smells deep, rich, mellow. Brown bread crust, fig jam, dates, cedar, gentle warm spice, cocoa powder, earth, a bit of rumlike alcohol. Cohesive, and very nice.

Tastes smooth and mellow, but rich. Dark fruit, sweet brown bread, chocolate cake, a drizzle of molasses, cedar, earth, warm spice, and a hint of herbal/grassy hops. Medium sweetness, good balance. Some warming alcohol. Long finish, with all of the flavors lingering.

Soft smooth texture, almost creamy, with a touch of woody astringency. Very smooth and drinkable.

This aged beautifully. I really enjoyed it.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark brown in color with a bubbly head. You can definately tell it is a true Belgian by the smell alone. Goes down pretty smooth although it is very strong in alcohol content. The flavor lingers on the palate. More of a sweet taste than a bitter. Very drinkable, but I recommend sharing the bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As I mentioned in my review of the Chimay Red,I bought this in a gift pack of all three Chimays,and of the three,this was the best IMHO.I am not saying I liked it mind you,but of the three I thought it was decent...just not a big fan I guess,I may give it another chance if I find it by itself,but I would not buy the three pack again just to get it.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Well this is the first of this type of ale that I've tried and I can't say that I'm a big fan based on the Chimay Blue.

A: The ale is of a unique very brown, cloudy raisin colour. Does look delicious. Head is very strong off the top but dissipates fast. Very little to eventually no lacing.

S: Malty, strong fruitiness, some plum, slight metallic whiff and hints of alcohol. Smell is somewhat sweet and has some breadiness.

T: To this point I was loving this beer. However the overly sweetish, yeasty alcohol taste was too much. Especially the very strong alcohol kick at the end was something I didn't enjoy. The Chimay' s taste is full, malty, hoppiness is low to medium, acidity the same. Mouthfeel was ok, though quite light with strong initial carbonation and not much in the finish.

D: Not my mug of beer. Apparently I'm not a fan of this style at all. Maybe I'll try one again later to make sure. Anyway, the high alcohol level which manifests so blatantly in the taste make the Blue a no-go. I loved the Chimay Trippel, so this was a real dissapointment.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Oh boy... somethin tells me that I'm in for a ride with this brew.

A- Pours dark as hell... dark dark brown.... 1 finger head.... tons of visible sediment... wow

S- Where to start!? Malt followed by tons of fruit... grapes... prunes. Almost wine in scent.... Strong complex nose... i love it

T- Same as the nose... Malt followed by a complex grape/prune flavor that quickly changes into hops which then rides into a very smoooth outro of alcohol. Sooo smooth and complex.

M- A solid medium body... bites the front of the tongue initially, and then rides out creamy.

D- The alcohol will knock you in the face... You definitely notice the 9% abv.... combined with the price, it's not as drinkable as I'd like for such a delicious brew.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a chalice, the beer pours dark brown with a half inch tan head. Lacing is OK, head retention is excellent. It smells like dark fruit, raisins, peppery spice, roasted malt and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, but the fruit and pepper really stand out. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's creamy, rich and has zippy carbonation (maybe a little too much carbonation for me, but it works good in this beer). It's also very smooth and very easy to drink. Aroma and taste just gets better as it warms. Alcohol is a little bit noticable, although it does hit you later. I think this is a pretty good beer, I'd definitely buy this again.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.