Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As I mentioned in my review of the Chimay Red,I bought this in a gift pack of all three Chimays,and of the three,this was the best IMHO.I am not saying I liked it mind you,but of the three I thought it was decent...just not a big fan I guess,I may give it another chance if I find it by itself,but I would not buy the three pack again just to get it.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Well this is the first of this type of ale that I've tried and I can't say that I'm a big fan based on the Chimay Blue.

A: The ale is of a unique very brown, cloudy raisin colour. Does look delicious. Head is very strong off the top but dissipates fast. Very little to eventually no lacing.

S: Malty, strong fruitiness, some plum, slight metallic whiff and hints of alcohol. Smell is somewhat sweet and has some breadiness.

T: To this point I was loving this beer. However the overly sweetish, yeasty alcohol taste was too much. Especially the very strong alcohol kick at the end was something I didn't enjoy. The Chimay' s taste is full, malty, hoppiness is low to medium, acidity the same. Mouthfeel was ok, though quite light with strong initial carbonation and not much in the finish.

D: Not my mug of beer. Apparently I'm not a fan of this style at all. Maybe I'll try one again later to make sure. Anyway, the high alcohol level which manifests so blatantly in the taste make the Blue a no-go. I loved the Chimay Trippel, so this was a real dissapointment.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Oh boy... somethin tells me that I'm in for a ride with this brew.

A- Pours dark as hell... dark dark brown.... 1 finger head.... tons of visible sediment... wow

S- Where to start!? Malt followed by tons of fruit... grapes... prunes. Almost wine in scent.... Strong complex nose... i love it

T- Same as the nose... Malt followed by a complex grape/prune flavor that quickly changes into hops which then rides into a very smoooth outro of alcohol. Sooo smooth and complex.

M- A solid medium body... bites the front of the tongue initially, and then rides out creamy.

D- The alcohol will knock you in the face... You definitely notice the 9% abv.... combined with the price, it's not as drinkable as I'd like for such a delicious brew.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a chalice, the beer pours dark brown with a half inch tan head. Lacing is OK, head retention is excellent. It smells like dark fruit, raisins, peppery spice, roasted malt and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, but the fruit and pepper really stand out. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's creamy, rich and has zippy carbonation (maybe a little too much carbonation for me, but it works good in this beer). It's also very smooth and very easy to drink. Aroma and taste just gets better as it warms. Alcohol is a little bit noticable, although it does hit you later. I think this is a pretty good beer, I'd definitely buy this again.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

A - very nice color, very little head here which is odd as previous bottles have yielded an ample head.

S - awesome, light caramel, lots of dark fruits. smells great.

T - similar to the scent, there's some spice near the end maybe due to the alcohol

M - excellent.

D - high alcohol makes it necessary to be modest. but then again, who's counting?

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Served in a Chimay Chalice. I've been drinking this for sometime now, but unfortunately it's taken me until tonight to discover the ideal serving temperature. I find 55 degrees to be perfect.

Beautiful murky dark brown color. Long lived head and plenty of lacing.

Unique smell of pepper, dried fruits and pine.

Long lasting flavor profile. Slightly bitter but turns sweet quickly.

Excellent mouth feel. Lots of body, really cots the tongue.

Surprisingly very drinkable for the ABV. Can't get enough of this stuff.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A dark amber, the color of caramelized sugar. A soft cream colored head billows up from the beer and then is almost swallowed back into the liquid. Beautiful.

It smells of yeast, fine bread and light roasted malts.

Taste is sweet and malty with a nice warmth from the ABV. The first thing I notice is the smooth characteristics of the brew. Its nice clean and refreshing. A well polished glossy beer.

This is a good beer to have on hand year round. I'd love to try it after a year in the pantry, but who has the will power to keep a bottle of this on hand without drinking it.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in my Chimay chalice. Color was a dark, murky brown with burnt red highlights; definitely the darkest of the three ales. Fluffy white head subsided rather quickly settling into a thin consistent layer of foam. Ample, but light lacing with good adherence during the tasting. Immediately presents with a strong nose of dark fruit (plums, prunes, raisins). Taste similar to nose, and much more pronounced than in the Red & White. Mellow mouthfeel with just a touch of carbonation. Alcohol was very well-hidden (deceptively so), making this an extremely drinkable belgian strong. After sampling all three, Chimay Blue comes in a solid second.

11.2 oz bottle poured into my New Belgium snifter.. cost about $4.50.

Big but shortlasting head with little lacing... color is hazy dark brown/walnut.

Aroma is dark malts with caramel and dried fruits.. lightly spicy with dried sweet cherries... light cloves.

very active carbonation.. medium sweetness for the style... dark fruits dominate with light caramel.. dates and raisins come to mind although the raisin notes are lighter... spiciness is more toward the late middle to the finish... as it warms the alcohol is more evident in more spiciness.

I've always loved the blue, but I think there are much better BSDA's out there... nothing really wrong with it, just there are some better ones.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Only the small 11.2 oz. bottle was available in the several stores I checked, so I gladly grabbed a bottle of the Blue. It's nothing short of outstanding, and demands that I grab a couple more for cellaring. Three fingers of tan head rest atop the mahogany body with orange-red highlights--masterful, especially as the head proves very durable. The nose is great--apples, pears, some orange, and a good yeasty whiff. The taste is first-rate--lots of the fruit, yeast, and well carbonated to get the flavors dancing in harmony. Very good mouthfeel helps to make this incredibly drinkable, shadowing the high ABV (9%).

Easily my favorite of the three that I've tried from Chimay, Blue is stellar, a top-shelf Belgian hands down. I'll be sure to grab a couple more of these for the cellar. Don't pass this by.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A: pours a very dark, hazy brown with a huge, rocky tan head that has decent retention and leaves a patchy lace. If put up to light, you can see quite a bit of floating sediment as well.

S: nice floral hoppiness with caramel malt sweetness and aromas of ripe fruit.

T: floral hops and rich fruitiness up front (apples, plums, cherries, raisins) with an incredibly velvety malt sweetness on the finish and a subtle spiciness. The alcohol is very well hidden and the sweetness lingers for a long while on the palate. Nice and complex.

M: thick and rich with a good amount of carbonation. Finishes smooth and crisp.

D: An excellent sipping beer on a cold winters night. It delivers a nice array of flavours and packs a warming punch with its 9% ABV - although you would have no idea unless the label said so! Not my favourite trappist, but the easiest to find and still an excellent brew! I will certainly continue to purchase this beer often.

2.3/5  rDev -46.5%

I bought this to try because it continues to be so highly rated. I was disappointed. I poured it into a glass so I could observe the head and it was quite nice. It smelled pretty good too. The thing that really turned me off was the taste. I swear it tasted like someone put about three packets of Sweet-N-Low in every bottle. I just couldn't shake the saccharine sweetness from my palate. This one is popular, but definitely not for me.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

11.20 oz bottle. Served in Chimay chalice.

A- Deep brown with red hues. 1 finger light tan head.

S- Malty and yeasty. Some caramel and fruitiness.

T- A little drier than I was expecting. Starts off a little sweet but gives way to alcohol and dry finish.

M- Smoothe texture. Crisp and lively. Nice carbonation.

D- Very drinkable despite the alcohol presence. The larger bottle would go down great amongst a group of friends.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Pours a mahogany brown with a think head.

S- No notes on this just a rating of '4' will have to update this review later.

T- A lot of dark fruits, cherries, currants, etc. Not tart fruits though somewhat sweet.

M- Lower cabonation but a good level for this type of beer.

D- Good quad. Nice dark malts and flavors. Very tasty!

4.9/5  rDev +14%

The Chimay Grande Reserve is probably the most flawless beer I have ever had. It was difficult finding any problems or downfalls.

Served in a Chimay chalice (what else do you expect).

A- A dark ruby brown color- orange/copper transulcent nature to the body when put up to the light. A frothy 2 finger head appears and a nice resiny white color stays on top of the beer throughout.

S- Smell was sweet. I detected some caramel notes in addition to some floral essence.

T- Taste was as balanced as you could imagine. Crisp and clean. Pleasantly dry. Floral. Sweet, Peppery and Spicy. I'm smelling this and drinking it at the same time. Beautiful.

M- Mouthfeel was smooth, sleek, and pleasant.

D- Could drink this everynight.

I especially enjoy this knowing that there is so much tradition and history involved with the Chimay brewery. This is readily available to me and is the best beer I have ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

From a short, fat, 11.2 oz bottle copped as part of a Chimay gift-set from Gary's in Madison, this strong, flag-ship sample from Chimay was very full-bodied, thick, creamy, and had alot of character... Pours a thick, foamy head leading to a dark brown, prunish appearance... taste had hints of chocolate, prunes, figs, and other dark fruits including a slight brandy flavor... Very rich and deep taste with a good mouthfeel, and a 9% ABV that is so unnoticeable that it will certainly throw you off if you're not careful... The rich complexity of flavors and the appealing aroma really make this a world-class, outstanding brew... I personally really loved Chimay Red, but this was without a doubt a superb example of a Strong Dark Ale... Excellent stuff... Definitely recommended...

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Had a 12oz of this over Christmas. A fantastic beer, and I wish I'd had the other Chimays more recently so I could draw more comparisons. Poured a moderate, somewhat cloudy golden colour with a fairly large, white, frothy head. Aroma was malty, mildly spicey, with slight notes of bubblegum and candi sugar. Flavour is excellent and enhanced by a fantastic mouthfeel. I've had this sitting around for quite a while, but it seemed very fresh and might even have been able to use another year or so of aging. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

My bottle says Peres Trappistes, not Grande Reserve, but the label is blue.

11 oz bottle. New to style and 1st time drinking this, away we go!

A: Rich brown with red hues creamy tan head.

S: Those fruity floral aromas I associate with Belgium yeasts. Undercurrent of maltyness to come.

T: Winey malt sweetness, light fruity notes. Yum. Sweet fades to tart at finish. Yum again.

M: Incredibly light and bright for 9% ABV, well carbonated. So clean...

D: Highly. You have no idea its packing 3x the alcohol of pre-2007 MN State Fair beer (before strong beer was allowed for sale). Yum.

So glad my bro-in-law got this for me for Christmas. I can't tell you how many times I have passed it by.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Murky brown in appearance with some off white lacing. Smells of mainly dark fruits and yeasty spice. Tastes as it smells but with some cherries and malt. Flavors are light and soft. Has a very slight bitter finish. The 9% ABV barely showed up. Mouth feel is creamy and full. Lots of carbonation. Drinkability is damn good. A very smooth drinker! Recommended!

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours up dark brown with a thick head that settles into a little cap on the top of the beers

S - Malt dominates the aroma, with fruit highlights. I smell raisins and apples.

T - Starts off with a malt taste with an apple like flavor, and fades to a wine like finish. There was a little cardboard flavor, but not too distracting.

M - Full mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.

D - For it's strength, this is a remarkably drinkable beer.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured this out of a 11oz bottle into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: A dark brown, little to no lacing left behind after the 1.5-2 finger head settled.

Smell: I took a few whiffs and noticed some sweet fruity smells; it has a nice aroma.

Taste: A bit stronger tasting than the Triple or the Red, but very pleasant, something nice to sip on. For some reason it reminds me a tiny (very tiny) bit of champagne/wine. Some alcohol comes out as it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation, refreshing to sip on.

Drinkability: With all three of these beers (Triple, Red, Blue) I could only really drink so much. They are all great but as far as having a lot of it, I can't say that I wouldn't prefer drinking a few pints of another of my favorite brews over a similar amount of the Chimay.

Overall this stuff is great, I'm glad I had the chance to try all three so I could taste, smell, and experience their differences.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a proper Chimay chalice.

A- The color matches the bottle almost to perfection. A nice 2-3 finger tan head resulted from a center pour.

S- Sweetness with a malt presence

T- Superb. Sweet, lively, with a nice alcohol kick in the back. Perfect balance of sweet/ spicy and alcohol.

M- Lively carbonation, smooth and silky.

D- This is an absolute necessity for anyone who appreciates beer. Pretty darn close to perfection. Not much else can be said.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 330ml stubby bottle into a Chimay chalice. Deep brown-copper color with a 1 finger loose head that receded rapidly with little lacing.

Smells of dark fruits, caramel and brown sugar. Taste is similar with a bit of hop prescence to balance the dark malts. Smooth, medium carbonation with an alcohol prescence that is not overwhelming and makes it easy to drink.

A great dark belgian ale. Although, I think I am one of the few who prefers the Chimay Tripel.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A 33ml serving from the blue labeled bottle. $3.99 every day from Fargnoli Distributing (Sam The Beer Man) in Binghamton, NY. Pours a slightly darker chestnut brown color with a loose, full finger, light tan head that fades fairly quickly. The smell is more reserved yet deeper than the Achel "Claus" product that i recently sampled. Visibly effervescent, as evidenced by small pools of surface disturbance with a bit more lacing. The mouth feel is notably creamy, in the same manor as the Achel Claus. The flavor is figgy but less pronounced than expected. The 9% ABV has a warming characteristic that is more noticeable than my favorite Strong Dark Ales. The dark fruit flavor is wonderful yet less pronounced than anticipated. A good drinker with significantly less character than Achel - Achelse Kluis. I guess "you get what you pay for!"

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

i'm drinking this beer this evening out of a chimay chalice.

the beer poured an amber-brown color producing about a quarter inch of head that dissipated quite quickly leaving little to no lacing. lots of carbonation. memory hasn't served me correctly as i though this beer looked better the previous couple times i drank it.

this beer smells good, but it doesn't smell long at first, but i did notice the smells come back as the beer warms. the alcohol that was not present at first pour has no settled into the smell. the smell is of raisins and cherries.

this is a good tasting beer as well. again the taste is of raisins and cherries, fig also maybe a bit. i can feel the alcohol as it goes down my throat. nice.

the mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. it feels very full and carbonated. a very smooth beer.

the drinkability of this beer is very good, although the high alcohol content doesn't make it a very good choice for a session.

as per usual, this is a very enjoyable beer.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.