Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 mL bottle.

A- Big fluffy wild head. Tan in color. The beer is a deep red/brown.

S- Sweet dark fruit. Black cherries, rasins, figs.

T- Sweet, malty, dark fruit, yeast at the end. Peppery anise, slight alcohol burn towards the end as the flavor thins out.

M- Smooth, peppery, spicy, clean.

D- Very.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Excellent beer. I had this beer with a Kobe steak, and the steak lost out. From the first pour to the last drink, no disapointment. Most impressive was the creamy mouthfeel and matching taste. Chocolate, fruity, just to name a few. My glass made it's way around the table (wine snobs), and I was lucky to get it back! A must try.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark chocolatey brown with about an inch of creamy tan head that fades away to leave a thin film. Smells floral and citrusy and malty and faintly of alcohol. A very pleasant aroma. And damn that's good flavor. Tastes very malty with some orange notes. Slight alcohol vapor on the backend, but it is 9% so that's to be expected. Very enjoyable flavor. The mouthfeel is very pleasant as well, it actually seems to foam up when it hits my tongue and create a very thick full mouthfeel. All in all, an excellent beer, I will be getting this whenever I can afford/find it.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

I have been waiting to drink this beer in order to get a few more beers under my wing experience wise. I poured this 11.9 ounce bottle into a glass beer mug. I has a HUGE head, a pleasing dark amber with slight lacing. I found the smell a bit lacking, I was a little stuffed up but very little by way of smell especially considering this beer fantastic taste. Sweet, creamy, hoppy, with a slight bitterness to chase. The mouthfeel is amazing, the carbonation really envelops the pallate. Overall an amazing beer with a nice alcohol kick.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

11.2 oz stubby bottle poured into my St. Bernadus chalice.

Appearance: Pours a deep, rich mahogany with milk chocolate brown and amber overtones with a light, frothy tan head that fades quickly to a sheer lacing. A nice, foamy lace ring rims the beer.

Smell: Subtle with caramel like candy sweetness, hints of dark fruit, possibly plums with a very slight chocolate aroma. Also, hints of fresh raisin bread.

Taste: Starts very nice with a rich maltiness, fruity sweet with a hints of fresh bread, raisins, dates and caramel. Yeasty to say the least. The middle moves you along to a finish that is full of more of the fantastic, malty sweetness with the ever so slight hint of hops that leaves a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste. Alcohol is very well hidden. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, chewy and creamy at the same time. Nicely carbonated which makes for a lively and crisp mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Notes: What a really nice Belgian Dark Ale. Malty sweet with a fruitiness that reminds one of fresh raisin bread. Hops make a subtle appearance in the finish which lends it a very slight bitterness to offset some of that malty goodness. Alcohol. What alcohol? Extremely well hidden for 9% abv, though a warmness does touch the face. Very flavorful, one I wouldn't get tired of drinking though the 9% abv would definitely make itself known. Overall, a delicious Belgian Dark Ale. Highly recommended and one I can't wait to have again. Seek and enjoy.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I love beers with corked bottles.

Particularly light, foamy white head. Dies relatively fast and not a whole lot of lace, but nothing to complain about. A glowing, medium reddish brown, light for a Belgian.

Smells hoppy with a sweet, floral bouquet. There’s a kind of orange honey quality to it. A citrusy, lemon-peel nectar. I’m also getting a very faint hint of malty chocolate.

Tastes as it smells, not as hoppy as I expected. A lovely citrus, candy malt. The alcohol is masked very well. Mouthfeel and drinkability are superb. A warm, bubbly delight. Aftertaste is mild, inviting the next sip. A very well rounded ale.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Deep, dark amber, white head that disappears quickly.

S - Bready, malty, no discernable hops, alcohol aroma, dark fruits.

T - Similar to the smell...very malty, sweet, fruity. Slight alcohol flavor.

M - Nice carbonation, medium-full body.

D - It's not something I'd drink every day, or a lot of at a time, but it's something I'd drink regularly over a long time span.

Beautiful dark amber with thick tan head that never fully dissipates, constantly rising bubbles. Great looking beer.

Mild aromas of malt and fruit are all I could detect from this one.

This beer has a great balance of flavors. Sweet and fruity on the tounge, hoppy and bitter going down. The fairly high ABV is nearly undetectable.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich, though not quite as creamy as, say, Rochefort. Strong carbonation, as usual with this style of beer.

Drinkability is comparable to other trappist ales. Something to savor, but not an everyday beer.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

750 bottle of 02/2005 vintage, 15 months old. Pours thick and cloudy. I may have agitated the bottle getting it out of the fridge.

Thick, long lasting head of large bubbles bring the yeasty, apricot tinged vapors to the nose. The first hints of sourness are here, like fruit ripening on the tree.

The palate is even, not overly strong in any one characteristic. The malty characteristics are balanced by the sourness and both conspire to hide the heavy alcohol content. No hint of the 9+% alcohol until you realize that it is rocking your face off.

The sourness of the after-palate is a bit offsetting at first, but blends quickly until it is the taste you anticipate with your next sip.

2.93/5  rDev -31.9%

Like a lot of others, I really looked forward to trying this beer. The appearance was a very nice brown with a lace head. The smell was inviting but the taste was too much like wine for me. The alcohol is very strong in the taste. For these reasons, it is not very drinkable beer for me.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

2005 vintage, 330ml bottle, poured into Leffe chalice.
Red-brown-mahogany, yeast flecks. Off-white head sinks to a surface scum.
Subtle nose... hints of fruitcake.
Gamey richness, creamy, complex spicey mix, with sweet candy tones, and a mild bitterness at the back. Alchohol heat noticable.
Having just tried the Chimay Red, this has a far better mouthfeel and length.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Chimay's best beer by far. Pours a dark amber with a solid head. great smell and taste, a rich beligum ale, really fulls your whole mouth. Has a great aftertaste and keeps you wanting more, could def drink it all night. I had it a few times at a sushi restaurant and it goes great with sushi i think.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

This is by far one of the finest brews I've had the pleasure of tasting. Pretty much spoils you for anything else. Only drawback to drinkability is the alcohol content, not that you can taste it. No bitterness, all in all the best Belgian I've tried yet. Smooth and delicious. Next case will be big bottles.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a dark brown body with a greyish head that disipated rather quickly and left the signature Belgian style lacing. The beer was very loud it can be heard cracking and popping with out having your ear right next to it. The taste and aroma followed each other. It was a very raisiny sweetness with other dried fruit notes. The mouthfeel was extremely dry and bubbly with carbonation popping on the tounge. This was a slow sipping beer that must be handled with respect.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Amazing color to this beer, a very deep ruby color that is pretty hazy. Large enough head that stayed and left a lot of lacing.

Smell: Complex aroma of fruits and spices, a slight bit of alcohol detectable.

Taste: Again very complex taste as in the aroma. Every sip is an expereince, leaving you to guess what you could taste next. Many different fuits, figs, spices in here, a wonderful treat. The alcohol is subtle but detectable. Some bitterness lends in to help control.

Mouthfeel: Medium/thick in body, creamy and a bit oil as well.

Drinkability: I don't think I would personally want an entire 750ml again, but it wasn't a problem to finish. It's scary how some can really handle this beer, my friend drinks two 750mls in a sitting, I'm not sure why or even if that is respectful to the beer but its obvious he loves, more than I.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I was a good boy today, so I sprung for a bottle of the real deal. Wasn't disappointed.

Appearance: Great reddish brown with almost zero transparency. Thick head dies out pretty quickly, with very little lacing.

Smell: I can smell this one! Very pearish, with a little hint of roasted chestnut, and anise.

Taste: Black cherry, bananas, cloves. Wonderful. Can barely taste the alcohol, but I'm pretty shur its their.

Mouthfeel: Great malty feel, and very smooth, just a little fizzier than I had expected.

Drinkability: It is simply wrong for a beer this complex to be disappearing from my glass so quickly.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Single 11.2 oz bottle, poured into chalice

A- Beautiful deep ruby, 1.5-2 finger mocha-colored head that dissipates to cm ring; leaves a fair amount of lacing

S- fruit, mostly pear, a little bit of alcohol

T- Fruit again- dark cherries, the sweetness of green apple, w/o the sour, spices (cloves? coriander?). Everything comes together extremely well, making it hard to pick out individual notes; Finishes w/ a subtle, pleasant alcoholic tinge. Extremely complex.

M- Numbness, from the alcohol, some stickiness, pretty heavily-bodied

D-I finished this quickly, while eating a BBQ/Cheddar pizza w/ smoked sausage. Despite it being an individual size pizza, I still had half of it left when I finished the beer. I'm already feeling a bit lightheaded. Although I finished this really quickly, I could probably only drink one (BELCH!!), make that 2 more of these, which I say is pretty good, considering the style, ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a cloudy red. The head almost took over the entire glass, even on a very non agressive pour. No lace after all that.
Has a weak clove and corriander aroma.
The clove and spice show up in the flavor as well as some bananas. A champagne like alcohol flavor is very evident.
Medium to full in body. Dry finish. Good dispursement of flavor throughout the palate.
Though not as favorible as some of the bolder Belgian Strong Darks out there, I do indeed like this one.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I visited Annie Bailey's Irish Pub in Lancaster today. Instead of drinking Irish though I drank Belgian and glad I did. Chimay Grande Réserve Blue is a real treat.

Appearance: Dim lighting left the beer looking a dark caramel copper color with hints of red and it had a very creamy head that lasts and lasts. Heavy sheets of lacing coated the flute glass the bar tender selected [shrugs] =)

Smell: A sweet caramel malt aroma dominates the nose, followed by a complex web of dark fruits, including figs & dates with a splash of pear and hint of yeast and spice.

Taste: The taste follows the nose to start delves deeper in to the glorious pool of flavors that is Chimay Blue. Dark figs dates and brown sugar are balanced with a light berry tart. Deep hints of cherry and chocolate a simultaneously met with gentle yeasty spices cloves and nuts and finally there is a bit of warming alcohol. As dark and rich as the flavors are, it also lights up in the mouth as zesty and lively.

Mouthfeel: A bit chewy and yet airy and full feeling in the mouth. The beer exceptionally smooth and leads into a beautiful finish and spectacular lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: This is a very tasty beer. Even though it is a sipper beer it pleasant and easy to drink. This can really be dangerous if your not sharing with someone else. =)

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Dark brown color,small head.(2nd pour had a better head)

S-Fruit and not hoppy at all.A little malt smell.

T-Malt and I dont know what else I taste.Im prob going to hell for this.LOL

M-Very good,2nd time I had this but my first time reviewing it.Very tasty

D-700 ml Bottle wasnt enough! I wanted more,I could drink a few bottles of this.This is one fine ale!. Recommended!

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I have an 18 month old bottle of Chimay sitting around, but before trying it out I had to have a brand new bottle, so I bought one and tried it out.

A: Poured into a Snifter a very dark brown color, with a tan head about a centimeter thick that didn't stick around too long but left a nice crown around the edges and put a tad bit of lacing on the glass. On a second glance I figured I'd also use the word cloudy to describe it too.

S: This was really, really interesting. My first impression was raisins or clove, but then I started to think I caught a whiff of alcohol, something like a white rum, as well as a malty sweetness. Definitely, on further reflection, fruity with some caramel too it, floral and yeasty, and I'd have to say it's got a spice character to it. Lots of adjectives to throw around here.

T: Awesome. Starts off kinda sweet and almost spicy, with a caramel like character, and then follows with a floral, light bitterness, with hints of hops in the background and on the aftertaste. You've definitely got the malt character here, and the apparent spiciness is something that's really got me going. I'd also mention that you can feel a slight alcoholic burn at the back end.

M: Medium-bodied, very, very smooth, with a good amount of carbonation there to make it interesting, but never too much. I'd venture to say that, as part of mouthfeel, you have to include the alcohol that lingers on the backend.

D: Can't talk about this like it's a session beer, so any drinkability comment has to revolve around my willingness to drink it. It looks good, tastes great, and exists as a very complex, interesting beer. It's very enjoyable, but I'm sure that if you had more than a 750mL to yourself, the strength and sweetness of this beer might overwhelm you. I'd recommend it in moderation, so that you can enjoy it more. That said, it's always drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Oh, the Trappist ales. Can't get enough of them. The blue-label Chimay pours a thinner head than expected, but that thin layer sticks around awhile. Ample carbonation with a super-dark caramel color.

I thought I knew my spices, in the kitchen and in the beer world, but there's something in this aroma that I can't describe. It's like an Indian spice, a bit sharp, but sweet too. I'll call it clove, anise, cinnamon and ginger, with some raisin and rum in the background.

A strong anise flavor hits the tastebuds first, followed by a light milk chocalate-soaked raisin flavor that lingers a good while. All spice elements noted in the aroma above come through in the mouth, subtle but clear. A creamy, milky mouthfeel takes the flavors to another level, and I just can't say enough good things about this one. Certainly nothing bad. Even the high 9% alcohol is incorporated well enough that you only notice it in context of everything else that's going on. Superb, superb, superb.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from a 750ml bottle, caged and cork. Pours a dark, dark, amber. The tan head was filled with large bubbles, not very thick or stiff, quickly dissipating with only a suggestion of lacing. The carbonation seemed to be lacking a bit, despite of sizzling bubbles through the center. and along the edges.

Gave off an aroma of sweet roasted malt, plum, and a touch of grassy and floral notes. The flavor was full of sweet candied malts and caramel yeast, plum, and a strong presence of alcohol. The spice barely makes itself known, an afterthought.

The mouthfeel is light--too light for a dark ale--sweet and playful on the tongue, smoothing out into caramel yeast, a touch of bright plum, and finally finsihed off with a flare of alcohol.

Despite it's many positive characteristics, it's a bit heavy-handed on the sweetness for my taste, lowering the drinkablity. I'd be tapped out after one--if fact I struggle to finish the bottle. This was out of personal preference, rather than any flaw in the brewing.

Solid but disappointing in respect to the expectations I held for a Grande Reserve. In fact, I wonder what the conditioning of this bottle has been. Perhaps it is just too young and needs more time in the bottle. Perhaps I need to try it again.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Dark brown color with a large one inch head that difused quickly.

Smell: Sweet fruity aromas.

Taste: Barley wine, not as strong as Grand Cru, but still there.

Mouthfeel: Easy almost creamy feel.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, one of my favs....but price in the bars...

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured a reddish amber color with a HUGE off white head. Fruity, malty, slightly sweet aroma and I still can't get over this head. Smooth spicy taste with slight alcohol presense as the brew warms up. Back a few months ago, this was my introduction to Trappists, and I was not disappointed! I drank a 2000 vintage magnum the other night and just wanted to note how awesome it tasted. Still I thought the aroma was alittle weak, but once it hits your mouth it is amazing.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.