Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,261 | Hads: 7,302

well 5's should be rare...this beer is rare. what else is there to say. pours perfect with about one and a half inch of head. excellent carbonation. a darker translucent color. very nice dry grain - hop aroma. pleasing to the palate. smooth dry finish.

excellent! if you see this on a shelf - buy it. read the label and follow the suggestions on how to fully enjoy this gem.

suckem up and movem out!!!

A:Nice Creamy tan two finger caramel head with a dark caramel honey brown cloudy appearance.

S: Notes of sweet port wine, fruit notes, caramel and honey also, a hint of spices. Yeast

T: Heaven! honey, fruit, caramel, yeast, theres a lot going on here, can't explain it all but its great!

M: Perfect carbonation, not too dry, refreshing.

D: If I could drink this all day I would be one happy man, but a very drunk one at that. Everything is perfect here!

Poured into a Chimay Chalice with a 5 minute breathing period.

What can I say, this beer speaks for itself. The taste of spices and the dark color leave you satisfied and thinking of perfection that is beyond any review or breakdown of a true Belgium Style Trappist beer.

The Blue is my favorite and I definitely enjoy the red as well.

This will not disappoint!

A minimalist review for folks looking for the bottom line!

I have seen comments that it's to much for the money. But you get what you pay for if you want the best you pay for it ,while some of the other labels within chimay are great this one is outstanding. This is the best of its kind I have tried dozens of Belgium style beers and this is the best from the floral smell to the sweet taste it is so complex yet so perfectly balanced you will not be displeased with this one. if you are a true beer drinker stop being so cheap and treat your self to pure bliss on earth if God truly made a beer this is it!

Appearance: Amber
Smell: Fruity and malty
Taste: Caramel and slight chocolate.
Mouthfeel: Full
Drinkability: A great beer and the makes me think of the classic Belgian Style. My favorite out of the three Chimays.

Poured this beer into my chimay chalice. It poured a dark brown color with a tan 2-finger head that shrank down to a nice collar and had a good amount of carbonation throughout the duration. The smell was of fruits and dried fruits. With just a touch of date and cherry. The taste was exquisite, the fruity yet malty combination was perfection. The alcohol can really be felt about half way through, but it is not overpowering and leaves you wanting more. I would definatly recomend this beer to anyone looking for a quality belgium beer.

11.2 oz bottle poured into Chimay goblet

Pours a dark brown iced tea color with a finger of white head with carbonation bubbles streaming up the side of the glass. The beer has a rich, sweet dark fruit aroma with big plum and raisin notes, along with a bready malt smell, caramel, and slightly spicy, slightly funky yeast. The taste is big on caramel and sweet malts up front, almost like a Werther's Original candy, then it blends with raisin, plum, and cherry tastes for the finish. The high level of carbonation keeps refreshing the palate and preventing this big beer from seeming like a big beer.

I've been searching for a flaw in this beer over the course of this review and continue to come up empty-handed after half an hour, so I do not give it all fives flippantly but as a last resort. It's just a perfect, benchmark entry in my favorite category, Belgian strong dark ales and quads.

A - At first pours a pretty dark brown, forms a white one finger head, which dissipates down to a film. After pouring the remaining yeast rich half inch, beer becomes very dark brown with cloudy yeast nuggets.
S - Notes of raisins, dates, and a mild malt presence.
T - Amazing, sweet, notes of raisins and bananas. Very fruity notes.
O - Extremely delicious beer. 5 stars.
V - Worth the price.

Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes Grand Reserve pours a wonderful root beer brown from a 1pt. 9.4oz brown glass bottle.

Head goes well over three fingers before dropping to a firm quarter inch cap of foam and leaving ample lacing down the sides of the glass.

Nose is mostly malt with just a hint of floral hops and traces, just traces of the 9% alcohol by volume.

Taste is a smooth, very smooth malt... a most smooth malt. A taste that one could fall in love with... I have been mesmerized by this brew and will seek it out wherever I go!

Oh My God... This stuff is GOOD!!!

What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said before. Perfection in a bottle. The great thing about it is that it's so easily available, if not cheap. It is wise to buy it from a reputable store as I've had one or two that tasted like they weren't stored properly.

I would rate the Chimay Blue as my favorite beer of my favorite style. As classic as the Chimay Red is as Belgian dark ale, the Blue seems to be its perfect evolution.

It pours and looks practically like syrup, but the taste and armoma are surprisingly light and fruity. There is absolutely no hint of the 9% alochol content.

I have a small shrine on my bar as a tribute to this beer -- please come visit if you're worthy ;-)

Chimay Grand Reserve review

When I was checking out all the reviews I've written the other day, I couldn't believe that I hadn't yet reviewed my absolute favorite Belgium ale Chimay Grand Reserve. I figured it was my duty to pick up a bottle on the way home and pick up a bottle to write about. I remember trying this about two years ago and not liking it very much, but my palette has since grown. I popped the cork on a 750 ml. bottle and poured a good sample into a Chimay chalice that I got last year in a gift pack. There wasn't much of a head once poured; I took great care not to disturb the yeast sediment resting at the bottom of the bottle. The color was a deep, rusty orange, with very little light penetrating the chalice. The aroma was sublime with hints of dates, figs and yeast. I had read originally that this beer was once only brewed at Christmas time, which does explain why this particular ale reminds me a Barleywine. The taste is sweet, almost like port with deep fruits and a peppery aftertaste. This ale is a champion and should be enjoyed as often as possible. Grab a bottle or two and sit down to enjoy a epic masterpiece.

Opened a corked bottle that has been cellar-stored, sitting upright, for the past two years.

Appearance -- Dark, dark brown with slight reddish hue. Loads of carbonation with a beautiful, sand-colored head which laces the glass. It appears a touch cloudy, but the color is so thick that it's difficult to truly tell.

Smell -- Traces of sweet, sugary plum, as well as dates (personal favorite of mine).

Taste -- carbonation is the first sensation to touch the tongue. Quickly, plums and dates come to the forefront, as well as hints of chocolate, molasses, and malts. The aftertaste is sweet and yeasty. Hops are very subdued. Alcohol is almost impossible to detect, which can be quite deceptive as this is 9.00% ABV.

Mouthfeel -- very creamy and smooth, but also quite thick (positively so); quite heavy, this is a sipper, and you'll likely want to share the bottle as it may be overpowering for one person.

Overall -- simply outstanding.

A- Grape. Medium to dark. Very good look. Low carbonation. A gift to the eyes. Very Sexy beer.
S- Grape. Malt. No hops. Very nice.
T- No bitterness just weet grape and malt. Alcohol not evident even at nine percent.
M- Smooth as silk.
d- Too good. A pleasure to quaff.

this was an exceptional beer. the high alcohol by volume had me a little skeptical at first, but don't let that fool you. this beer is not overly boozy and has a wonderful taste.

Meilleure. Bière. Au. Monde.

Une couleur brune-rubis profonde avec une mousse persistante.
Odeur de banane/vanille/épices... sublime.
Goût sucré de bananes, de pain d'épices, de fruits rouges le tout très moelleux et liquoreux. Toutefois, pas d'excès : cette bière est remarquablement bien équilibrée, et son fort % d'alcool est dissimulé à merveille.

Wow. Im speechless. I don't think a taste review would do this beer justice. All I can say is this was my first belgian strong dark ale and I'm hooked!

no words do this justice, the greatest ever perhaps.
dark pour, nice head all the time.
goes down smooth, obviously crafted the way a beer should be crafted and I've come to expect it from the fine people at Chimay. I buy multiple bottle at once and bring them to parties where ever I go in an attempt to educate those who are less fortunate and willingly drink garbage like bud all the time. They don't know what they are missing.
The greatest of all time, period.

Out of an 11.2 ouncer...

A - Pours a murky, slightly rusty brown. A couple fingers of thick and creamy tan head sit above.

S - Although not real powerful, the smell is spectacular. Dark fruits are most notable for me. Plums, figs, and tart cherries. Then a doughy cinnamon shows up. That Belgian yeast is surely there, but again, a bit subtle. There's also a hint of clove and just enough alcohol that you have to hunt for it.

T - Follows the aroma quite a bit. Nothing overpowering. Everything just works together...sum of the parts thing. The dark fruits are there at the beginning and never really disappear. The balance between the spiciness and sweetness is perfect. I did notice a woody apple note that never appeared in the nose. Taste is impressive.

M - Starts creamy, but does have a little bite toward the end. Actually makes it feel refreshing...pretty good for 9%.

D - In a word. Unreal.

My first 5.0!

One of my favorite Trappists. I have to buy it in the cask and I can't help but finish the whole thing in one sitting. For a dark ale it drinks very smooth and has a complex mix of flavors. Just writing this review makes me want to go get another cask for tonight.

Enjoying my first Chimay ever right now and Im happy to try the Blue version. This amazing trappist beer has a dark brown color, looking like ice tea to me and has a medium head with good carbonation. It says on the 330 ml bottle that the best serving temperature is between 10°C - 12°C, means that a fridge would be way too cold for this brew!
I smelled dark fruits, raisins and chocolate. Amazing mouthfeel. The 9% ABV is perfectly hidden. Im sure I could drink a lot of these without any problem :) Really, an amazing beer, little pricey but probably the best on this planet!

2010 Vintage Chimay Blue served into a Chimay goblet.

This beer has an amazing appearance, a nice dark brown colour like an old toned copper penny. One finger of beige head which retains nicely whilst drank.

Smells wooden and sweet and tastes just as you were hoping with nice caramel blushes. Just a beautiful finish and thoroughly filling, everything you want a nice ale to be.

I can only imagine how good my 1.5L bottle sitting in the cellar will be five years from now.

This is the first review I'm going to write and it was this beer that inspired me. To me, this was the perfect beer. Mellow, smooth, and strong. I've been trying different porters, stouts, barley wines, and old ales but this one was the most approachable and balanced. It wasn't the best 'everyday' beer but that's not what I was looking for... Perfect sipper, great taste!

I love this beer! It was like cherries and strawberries with a smooth finish. It was my first trappist and I didn't know what to expect. I somehow thought I didn't like Belgian ales but I tried it with a bunch of other beers and it was my favorite BY FAR. Soooo tastey!!

Have to poor this nice and carefully, and get the right kind of glass to let it air properly.

It's a deep brown, but not quite as murky as the Chimay premiere (red label) and doesn't have quite its bitterness. Something smooths out the taste and makes it a bit more drinkable.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay S.A.