1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chimay Première (Red) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Première (Red) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,483 | Reviews: 1,537 | Show All Ratings:
bk3nj

I have seen the light! Thank god for these monks.. Smooth, subtle fruit hints, tasty.. what more could you ask for from a beer?

07-16-2001 01:31:25 | More by bk3nj
esprit

United States

Are you guys kidding?.....some of the reserved reviews of this beer make my blood boil...this is, without question, one of the world's top 10 beers and everything one would expect from a Trappist...big intense aromas, gorgeous head, deep and rich satisfying flavours....if you don't like this one then you should stick to you Coor's Light!

05-24-2002 16:44:12 | More by esprit
putnam

I'll admit the reputation of this beer influenced how I approached it. Solemnly. No radio was playing. The time was 5 after a day of tweeking the house, now waiting for the spouse to arrive. The beer came in a 33cl square, rocket-shaped bottle. Condensation formed liberally on the brown glass. Setting sunlight played off of the raised glass text: "Abbaye de Scourmont."
Nowhere does the package read "Premiere." It DOES read "Imported by Paterno Imports" though. This is a firm I know from the wine trade. An old colleague and hero of mine works for this outfit, selling mostly wine I presume. Their prices have a reputation for being "optimistic," at least in our jurisdiction. I notice no monkey-business when it comes to the price of this beer though. Circa $3.50 is what I expected to pay (before my discount.)
I pour a glass. It's too cold.
As I allow it to warm up I observe an opening of sweet strawberry fruit and nutmeg. Rare Solera Brandy rises up to support and give power to the flavors...shaded with Indian Ocean spices...Madagascar pepper...Indonesian nutmeg. This is subtle though. This graceful spinning wheel of flavor discreetly allows a deeper, more neutral flavor to reign. It might best be described as the taste of various fresh cream preparations. It is almost more of a texture than a flavor, like whipped cream melting cleanly away.
Ripe black cherry flavors feature prominently as it gets warmer. Now, nearly 70 deg. F, and cherry wood-aged Calvados churns beneath a delicious little peppery bite of yeast. Remarkably complex, smooth and drinkable beer. My last sip was at nearly 80 deg. F. Amazing! Creamy, Baileys Ir ish Cream with exotic, expensive spices. What great yeast!

07-18-2003 23:46:00 | More by putnam
RBorsato

Solid brown color with amber hues, a full pillowy beige head, awesome carbonation, and sheets of lace. Strong clove spice aroma with apple-ish fruit aromas underneath and a nice yeasty note. Nice spicy clove flavor with figs and raisins to balance it out. Medium-full bodied and warming with a strong finish.

PURE DELIGHT ! One of the best Belgian breweries in the world... hands down.

Per Label: "Authentic Trappist Product"

Note: #11 in Stuart Kallen's "The 50 Greatest Beers in the World"

Cork Date: 10/03
Tasted: 05/20/04

($7.49 / 25.4 oz Brown champagne style bottle corked and caged)

05-21-2004 14:47:31 | More by RBorsato
jazztoloc

Mexico

Had a 330 ml bottle, poured into a Chimay goblet.
As soon as I opened the bottle, I started to smell the magnificent beer I was about to try.
Dark brown and redish in color, nice big head, and very good retention.

I loved the well balanced smell of malt and fruits, the goblet serves it's purpose very well and enhances the experience.

Tastes like fruit, very malty, and sweet. You can feel the alcohol very nice blended with all the flavors.

This is a very nice beer, It might not be the best belguian beer I've ever tried, but it sure is a pleassure to drink. It coul be a very good choice to start with belguian beer.

Salud!

11-23-2009 04:13:15 | More by jazztoloc
drowland

Georgia

One of my all-time favorites. I love abbey dubbels, and this has got to be the best one I've ever tried. Simply delicious and something every beer drinker should try! Full of ripe esters and wonderful complex malt and yeast characteristics. Pours with a luxurious head.

11-29-2009 22:38:01 | More by drowland
1fastz28

somehow i missed another great belgian, and this one is probably the best belgian i've ever had, and i've had westvlerten. it has a beauitful cloudy amber color with a alot of carbonation, smell is awesome, has a wonderful yeast body to it, along with sweet malt, just a great overall aroma. the taste is so good it could legally make this beer considered a controlled subject and be subject to various ATF laws, its that good, its a perfect balance of yeast, malt and hops. this beer has no flaws, its what every other beer has dreams of being.

02-04-2010 03:39:57 | More by 1fastz28
jcarper

Nebraska

This is my all-time favorite Belgian beer! Smooth yet spicy taste, very drinkable, even quaffable. A heavy color and feel, and a great finish; and it's becoming available now almost everywhere because of its popularity. I prefer the corked-type poured in a Chimay glass.

12-17-2010 20:07:15 | More by jcarper
Photo of

Glowing burgundy in the glass with small white head and fine carbonation that leaves perfect Brussels lace all the way down. Aromas of honey and malt sweetness, earthy and spicy noble hops, and, buried somewhere back there, a hint of sour apple cider. Silky and dry mouthfeel with a malt sweetness that is strong, but not at all overpowering as it is matched perfectly by herbal hops and a rich ripe fruitiness similar to really good dark chocolate. Has a curious finish that is dry and sweet simultaneously and leaves you wanting another sip as soon as you swallow the first. Ridiculously drinkable for such a strong, complex beer. This is quite possibly the perfect beer.

04-20-2011 01:20:03 | More by
Amburner

Australia

Chimay is legendary. Forget the esoteric BS about lacing, how many fingers of head and so on. I presume you might come here to learn something about a beer you've never tried. The entire Chimay range should be high on your list.

My best Chimay Premiere tip: Pair it with dark chocolate covered sour cherries. Superb! Here is Australia, Cherry Ripe is a pretty good substitute that's easy to find. If you're lucky, you can get Chimay cheeses to have with the beer. These are not so widely exported as the beer, possibly due to some countries rules against importing unpasteurised products. If you can't get them in your area, you might enjoy getting all three Chimay beers and three or four cheeses together with a few friends for a tasting party.

For me, Chimay Premiere is the pinnacle of beer. I would say its contribution extends to having influenced the style for many generations and helped spawn the amazing variety of exceptional quality beers we see today. Standing on the shoulders of the Chimay giant!

01-12-2012 21:02:12 | More by Amburner
JoshatTownHall

Maryland

Served on tap at Hellhunt Pub in Tallin, Estonia. Paid €3.50. What a deal. I can see why people spend over $13 in the U.S. for it. Exceptional beer that exemplifies the style. I will gladly pay the price back in the U.S. for this brew. Again to reiterate, if you can afford the airfare Estonia is probably the place to go in Northern Europe for awesome beer at Bud Lt. price!

01-27-2013 06:39:42 | More by JoshatTownHall
apasternak

Brewed by Belgium monks, this is one of the finest beers in the world. Expensive but definitely worth it, this beer has an incredibly complex flavor. This beer, also known as the most expensive beer on the Bernie's passport ($10), is very fancy, very delicious and very out of my normal price range

04-04-2013 17:34:38 | More by apasternak
schusterbauer

4.97/5  rDev +20%

deep brown, red, orange...depends on how the light hits the glass. gentle white head laces the glass and coats the top of the beer indefinitely. aromas of french toast, maple syrup, clove, caramel, malts, dusty book pages, fresh fruit. how can all of those things smell good together? this is how. the flavors are all of the above with the addition of exotic spices and sweet liqueur. so many flavors, and yet the beer is so smooth and refined, and unassuming in the palate. tastes of a recipe that was long ago perfected, and is no longer being experimented with, because the efforts would be in vain.

03-16-2007 21:55:15 | More by schusterbauer
BeerMarshall

4.97/5  rDev +20%

A: dark ruby, Excellent head retention.

S: Pleasant aroma of dark, earthy fruits, plum, fig.

T: Similar to aroma. Not overly sweet, but hints of plumb, fig.

M: Not overly heavy, definitely drinkable, but makes its presence known. good carbonation complements and carries the flavors.

O: One of my favorite beers. Well attenuated, drinkable, not as "in your face" as many dubbel imitators. Excellent head retention, probably due to the wheat proteins (chimay claims to use flour in their grist).

05-22-2011 01:56:28 | More by BeerMarshall
RushLimbmalt

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a murky reddish brown Clorox and has a very lively carbonation. It's head is off white and leaves a lot of lace in my glass. It has a very spicy aroma and I swear I smelled tobacco in there and a Hefe like clove. The flavor is just as nice with a terrific blend of spice and nuttiness and again a Hefe like clove that stands out from the sweetness. It's only flaw in my opinion is that the body is a bit thin, but overall this is a really good beer that is too good for it's alcohol content. I could drink these all night.

01-10-2006 07:48:39 | More by RushLimbmalt
TastyTaste

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Apperas to be a rusty brown color with a large white head, and lots of visible carbonation. Smells nice and earthy, slight banana and buutter scents, kind of musty. Taste is very sweet and changes flavors several times. The butter and bananas persist, as well as the funkiness. Very well carbonated, goes down silky smooth, just begging you to take another sip. Excellent.

03-09-2005 21:57:48 | More by TastyTaste
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

I can remember a short while ago that anything Belgian I would avoid. When I would get something traditional I would find myself grimmacing with each sip. I've slowly realized that my tastebuds are ever changing and I'm starting to get into a groove. I'm realizing that dubbels and quads are my thing and tripels are not my fancy.

I walk through the LCBO weekly and always pass Chimay and have never felt the urge to try this; Until now.

750ml into DFH signature glass served cool not chilled.

A- Hazy red/brown pour. Two finger off white head that just won't go away. Lacing is fantastic and carbonation is stellar.

S- Yeast right off the bat, subtle corriander, figs, prunes and what I perceive as strawberries. brown sugar and vanilla give this a nice sweetness that makes me antsy for the first sip.

T- Figs and prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and raisins. not as sweet as the nose would make you think. Fairly dry aftertaste. Getting a little metallic taste that seems to disappear as this warms a little further.

M- medium to full bodied, sticky sweet on the lips.

D- This was a very pleasant experience and it's amazing how fast i enjoyed this whole bottle. Very affordable and worthwhile.

10-17-2010 17:28:52 | More by korguy123
TheDeuce

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Wow, aged this bottle nearly a year and the results were killer, a yeasty dark reddish brown with a frothy thick head results. Smell is of yeast, multiple fruits, hoppyness, and an alcohol pungency. Taste is thick, dark, flavorful, smacks of fruit surround the toungue and stay afterwards, superb for sipping after a long day, a kicker of a beer and a great dubbel, even greater when aged. Dang.

12-08-2006 21:25:50 | More by TheDeuce
office888

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

750 ml corked bottle, dated 11/07 on the cork.

Unfortunately, I lacked a chalice or goblet, so I had to use a red wine glass. Less than perfect, but better than a solo cup.

A: Pours a deep burgundy color, with slight bubbles coming to the surface. A heavy, thick head instantly develops, but dissipates fairly quickly into a light lace.

S: Sweet, smells of fresh fruit, like a wine almost with a spice on the end.

T: Soft mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation. Very smooth. Almost immediately, fruit flavors appear. I catch maybe the tart of a green apple, coupled with pear. A flowery hops note appears towards the end. Finish tapers off slowly with no harsh aftertaste. Just a clean, clear, smooth finish

It is official. This is one of the greatest beers I've ever tasted. There's no harsh characteristics about it. It's purely art in a bottle, that an artist has blended into a masterpiece.

11-24-2009 22:33:33 | More by office888
likethetaste

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

All three beers from Chimay are top notch. Some of the best beer I have every had. Chimay Reserve (blue label) is my favorite of the three and all three are up there with my all time favorites.

Am I the only one but in the Red in all the complexity of flavor I do taste hints of cranberry but I see no one else notices this. Anyway this is a must try beer and brewery for anyone serious about great beers.

01-29-2010 20:06:22 | More by likethetaste
scottbrew4u

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Pours into Chimay chalice an amber to light brown color with some haze. Fluffy tan head rises and slowly settles. Head stays all the way down to the bottom of the glass.

S: Honey, ripe berries, currants, toasted malt and fresh bread, coriander and clove spice from yeast. Hops are floral and herbal.

T: Toffee, plums, currants, and toasted malt. Flavors keep unfolding, vanilla, candi sugar, and other fruity esters. Some spice of coriander and clove stand up through the malt complexity. Hops are floral and spicy.

M: Medium to full body with small, crisp carbonation. Some alcohol warmth comes through.

D: IMO one of the best beers in the world! So well balanced and amazingly complex. Very drinkable at 7% ABV!

05-07-2010 03:26:18 | More by scottbrew4u
BeerManDan

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow! Another winner for Chimay! Poured a hazy golden brown with a medium off white foamy head. The smell of fruits and spices were outstanding. The taste of fruit and spices was well balanced and pleasant all around. The sweetness was perfect to set of this near perfect beer. Again, WOW!

01-06-2003 15:22:20 | More by BeerManDan
davewrona

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

This has a light hint of carmel flavor and is just delicious. Rather expensive, but worth the money! You will love drining this beer for its taste and nouthfeel. You will appreciate even more if you a have a couple domestics lights before sampling this one!

11-01-2004 14:24:43 | More by davewrona
JohnMeinhardt

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

So, I've never reviewed a beer for this site. I came here to get advice about wading through the world of beer. I planned to just read what others like and experiment for myself, but I have been compelled to speak my mind. This beer is heaven in a glass!!! I tend to like dark and funky beers, usually German, but this is so crisp and strong with an amazing balance of flavors. I just had to pick up the laptop and spread the good cheer. YAY BEER!!!

I drank it from a red wine glass because I don't have one of those half-globe Chimay glasses. I really like how the alcohol and carbonation in the beer give it a sharp strength which is still easily drinkable. As it warmed up, it sweetened a little and delivered even more ineteresting flavors. Since I am still a novice beer-geek I don't have much more than that to add, but what I can say is that this beer is absolutely stupendous.

11-29-2007 01:39:42 | More by JohnMeinhardt
iamntbatman

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Nut brown in color with a big, thick head. The beer is definitely cloudy, even with a fairly gentle pour. The lacing is the only thing that takes away from the appearance of the beer, as it could have been even stickier.

Smell: The smell here is all about the unique yeastiness. The malt and especially hops here take a back seat to that yeasty goodness. Fruity esters from the yeast abound.

Taste: Quite mild, with a sweet nutty flavor. The yeast is the big player in the flavor, as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and syrupy with no alcohol burn to speak of. Nice tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day! Although at double the ABV of my typical session (some sort of English Dark Mild or Bitter is usually the order of the day) it would probably be a big mistake.

I gotta say, I put off drinking a Chimay for far too long. For some reason, the beer is extremely readily available in my area but the high price kept me from ever giving it a shot until I read a little more into it. Well done, Trappist monks!

03-25-2009 04:22:06 | More by iamntbatman
Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay S.A.