Chimay Première (Red) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Première (Red) Alström Bros

ejwood, Sep 03, 2012

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

mach562, Feb 20, 2012
1.58/5  rDev -61.9%

Red

Pours a deep brownish red, lighter than the blue, but very similar. I clearly suck at decanting these small bottles as floaters are in here and I have at least 2 oz left in the bottle. Carbonation is almost gone before this has been typed. A bit bland, but dubbles aren’t really show cases I suppose.

I feel like this one is taking on hef like characteristics. A touch of bubble gum is coming through here. I think this is a touch cool so I’ll finish in a bit. Sweet fruity notes from hops, with some fruit malt esters. Wide mouth glasses just don’t do the job on the nose…but this is their glass!

I just don’t know what to say here. This isn’t a good dubble. The flavors aren’t intense, malt dominate, and the balance that is here isn’t done in an overly enjoyable way. The hops here aren’t great and the fruity flavors of the malt just aren’t working with the hops.

This beer might have been saved with a nice well carbonated and creamy body. The problem is this beer’s carbonation is awful. The big bubbles and over carbonation here are a huge problem here.

I have often found this style to be pretty darn good, but this one isn’t. It doesn’t taste bad…but what beer really does? This is however an awful example of beer.

bobhits, Sep 18, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

VDODSON, Feb 20, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -56.6%

I tried this a year or so back and was very disappointed. I was super shocked to see how highly it was regarded here... so I decided to revisit this brew with the thought that maybe I had a bad one...

This was from a bottle poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Nice brown/reddish/amber color... good head but not too frothy... looks delicious. Lacing really good on the glass while drinking.

S - Strong alcohol smell to the nose mixed with vinegary overtones. The same as the last time I tried this beer... which is what turned me off in the first place. Not a pleasant nose on this one. No other noticeable complexities.. just vinegar and alcohol.

T - Tastes like a alcohol heavy beer with a vinegary aftertaste. The flavor is not unpleasant upon sipping, initial flavor is good. The aftertaste was just so overwhelmingly bad and came so quickly it ruined it, and made it hard to describe what was "good" about the initial flavor.

M - Not too bad... not too light or heavy. Did not feel like I had to "chew" the beer, but it was not a lawn mowing beer either.

O - I'm just not happy with my experience with this beer. I am really shocked at how highly it is rated here. It is so hard to get past the alcohol/vinegar smell/taste with with one. I've had plenty of beers with higher alcohol content that were not so strong with the alcohol on the tongue. Is it possible that I got 2 bad bottles? Could be... but I'm not gonna get this again anytime soon.

edthecat, May 02, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -53.5%

Poured a light amber with incredibly large white head that melted rather quickly to fine lacing.
Aroma was musty yeast and too sweet malt with a touch of dried fruits.
Taste was overshadowed initially by the extremely high carbonation level of tiny bubbles...almost like the beer couldn't make it to my tongue but got blocked off by CO2 first.
Primarily sweet malt and raisin-dried fruit tastes...too sweet in my mind.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin after the carbonation disappears, for a beer this sweet and fruity tasting. Unpleasant aftertaste of stale yeast.

I will have to try this one again just to compare notes, but I didn't enjoy this Chimay nearly as much as the hype. In fact, I didn't enjoy it at all.

IntriqKen, Apr 28, 2006

Zoezoeb89, Jul 18, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

kabritz, Sep 27, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

Appearance: Frothy head, that started to spew out of the bottle when I took the cap off.

Smell: Nothing special, typical of a trappist ale

Taste: A huge disappointment. It was simply unpleasant. Sure, it had characteristics typical of a trappist ale but something was not right. I tried several sups before pouring the rest away

Mouthfeel: Too lively

ivanwatling, Apr 17, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -43.9%

Sampled at a shared tasting in Venice, Italy. Light Ruby. Unpleasantly aromatic with notes of bread, medicines, seawater, salt, green plants and dark fruits. Dark fruits reside but the entire front and mid-palate is completely non-existant. The finish however is lovely, lingering and full of a malty sweetness. Once again though, my main problem, as with all the Chimay beers is the total lack of body. Gentle overall, and the complete lack of character from the front to the mid is what disappoints most. It's just one dimensional, especially in the aroma.

Crosling, Apr 12, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

Tasted this out of brown paper bag during a taste test. What a disappointment. I thought is was some sort of beer/cider mix. Carbonization was prominant, complexity was low, and the malt taste was orange to apple. Drinkability was low.

I love malty begian beers, and I'm sure I would have had a biased review if I saw the label before drinking it. I'm glad I tried this one honestly, with the brown paper on it. Now I know I won't try it again.

Bugsey, Oct 22, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

Appearance: A deep reddish brown beer with a very nice head.

Smell: Having already had Grande Réserve and Cinq Cents, I was disappointed with the aroma of Première. It was spicy, but the spices were overcome with the odors of yeast and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: was about average for an average beer, but not what one would expect from a $10/liter beer.

Taste: I was also average, except for the harshness of the first swallow.

Drinkability: Well I didn’t care for it. In fairness, I will try it again. There are others who rate it very high so it must have appeal I have not found.

RDAdams, Aug 13, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

A - Orange-gold and not very see through. Foam looked like soda and vanished quickly.

S - a little now bitter than a typical pager.

T - full sweet and fruity. Not bitter and no bad after taste. Not too strong, but nice.

M - mild. Not real feel. Comparable to a mild ice tea.

D - due to its mildness and lack of bitterness or after taste, I bet you could drink a lot of these without realizing it. I would just rather have something a little not noticeable.

biglite351, Mar 15, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Appearance: A dark and murky copper pour. Definite floaties in there and carbonation veins stream through the body of the beer. Head retention is nice. An ivory color with a sudsy character to it.

Smell: A stale and funky belgian yeast smell to it. This is the smell that turns me "off" on belgian beer. However, I will try to remain open-minded about this. Some alcohol esters here and there but that damn belgian yeast smell keeps dominating the game here.

Taste: Same belgian yeast taste, some wheat bread characteristics, possibly some dark fruit, a hint of carob, and a brush of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nicely balanced carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm sure this is good for the style but I don't like belgians. Sue me, I don't care. Back to the American Craft Beer scene for me.

mattcrill, Jul 10, 2005
Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay S.A.