Follow our progress ...

Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay S.A.

YOUR RATING = None |
4.1

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay S.A.
Belgium | website

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Reviews: 1,658 | Ratings: 4,724
3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

i just drank four PBR's so i'm sure that my taste buds are numbed and and that this review may be a bit off, but maybe not. smell is fruity with light grain. color is very nice. a deep copper amber. head is foamy large and loud bubbles that didn't stick too well. taste is fruity and citrus. i dont pick up very much hops. i'm glad i tried it, but it will be a long time before i buy it again.

Split a 750 of this with a friend over the weekend. It was my first Chimay product. It poured a deep orangish/brown color with a billowing white head into my Guulden Draak tulip glass. Smell was loaded with spice. Taste was nice but not overly complex. Hints of clove complement the strong yeast character of this trappist. Mouthfeel was a little bit thin, thus it didn't pair well with the taste. Drinkability would be one of this beers strong points. I could sip on these all night.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

1 pt 9.4oz corked bottle, poured into a pilsner glass, sorry, it's the only one I have.
Apperance: Golden apricot/applecider. Changes from light to dark. Clear, but I have not added the yeast yet. The head is out of this world. One of the best ive seen. Rocky like crazy, khaki in color. Tiny little bubbles shoot their shoot their way up the glass trying to push the head out of thier way. The head does not go away, and the lacing randomly glazes the glass. Light rings.

Nose: Light sweet fruits, some alcohol at the end, raisins, sweet bread. Very sweet, but not cheap, more like naturally sweet.

Taste: I dont feel all of the bubbles i saw in this brew. At first it is pasty, or powdery. The first swallow brings a background of alcohol, while in the front I get some sweet bread, and light prunes or raisins. A little flat in the mouth.

Notes: An amazing beer. This is a good example of how monks made thier reputations. The apperance of this is almost perfect.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

One of the most common Belgian brands; a little pricey. $3.99 for the double and $4.99 for the tripel.

They call this a dubbel but the color is different than any I have seen-orange and rusty. An almost uncontrollable head. I will take a few sips before I can tell you about the nose. After all that, not as much nose as I expect from a Belgian. Some fruit, spice and vanilla. The mouthfeel is rather dry and astringent.

I must say I was a little underwelmed. The competition is very tough in the Belgian teritory.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The head is wonderful. Very tiny bubbles form a remarkable white foam, that never disappears. It creates a nice feeling in the mouth while you drink the beer. The beer itself is of a nice cloudy copper color. a nice smell of yeast.

I found the taste really hard to define. It is such a great and smooth balance of all the ingredients. The yeast is fairly present, and I detected some citrus aspects, grapefruit, lemon and oranges. The lemon gives the beer a refreshing aspect, balanced with the hops. Hops come afterwards, but in a very natural way, like the normal following of the malts and the yeast.It's more about the flower and fruit aspect of the hops than about mere bitterness. A very enjoyable mouthfeel. Not my favorite among trappist beers, but stilla very good brew.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Beer poured from a 11.2 oz bottle to a cloudy deep orange amber color, almost red, with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around for the entire brew and leaves great lacing through out the brew.

The aroma from this brew seems quite raw with highlights of very sweet malt, a spicy essence, vanilla and figs/dates, a nice smelling brew.

The taste was highlighted the spiciness and malt. The start was of the sweet malt and then you could notice a nice bite of the spiciness in the middle to end and for me had nice alcohol finish. Also able to notice a hint of what seems to be vanilla and some other herbal flavors.

Over all this is a very nice brew. First experience with this brew and will have to try the 750 ml next and then on tap at Mahars. Also will open my eye’s to try some of the other offering from Bières de Chimay.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

It is a rust brown color with a slight haze and a soft, creamy head. The aroma is spicy and fruity with some bread quality to it. It is malty and is balanced by the spicy phenols and alcohol. There is a slight metallic tinge in the taste as well. It finishes drier than I would have expected for such a malty beer.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy amber with gold highlights. Minor head develops with small amount of lace but amazingly delicate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma of grain, amber malt and classic belgian spice and some yeast.
Flavor of pale malt, grain, spciy yeast, anise, coriander.
Mouthfeel is very effervescent and alive. Sweet hit to start and moves to spicy, dry finish with some alcohol.
Drinkability is very good but again these beers are so infinitely better out of the 750ml bottles.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Comes from an 11.2 oz bottle purchased from Bacchus in
Chattanooga. This beer pours a murky, muted greyish brown. I can see millions of tiny bubbles rising up to form a robust, creamy finger and a half head that is not going anywhere anytime soon. Lacing sheets the glass with its cottony texture.

Smell is sweet malts, vanilla, and figs or dates. Slight wisp of a sweet alcohol odor arising from it as well.Taste is definately sweet and musty. One thing comes to mind and that is dates lightly powdered in confectioners sugar and dust. That's not a bad thing. As it starts to warm and open up I detect more of a sweet-brandy taste coming through. Mouthfeel is definately creamy which combines well with the other aspects of this beer. Alcohol taste is non-existant. I feel as if I'm drinking my desert.

I have to say that this is definately a good beer, although I feel I may not be experienced enough to recognize some of the complexities here. The lack of a definable hop presence also puts me back a little, but I feel I could grow to enjoy the style in time.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

750m bottle, corked and caged

Nice aroma perpetuating from the glass. Drunk from a chimay goblet.

Nice white creamy head which disappates soon after it is poured leaving a nice frothy brew.

Smell, whiffy bready malt, little touch of sweet brown sugar. Bourbon biscuits, yeasty aromas

Taste, crisp and slightly fizzy mouthfeel, thick cloying yeast tinged bready malt, some slightly sweet raisins and prunes

A solid dubbel, not really up to par with the smaller trappists

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle here, poured at cellar temperature into a St Bernardus goblet. It looks like iced tea, a hazy, chestnut brown, with virtually no head. Belgian lacing is abundant, however, and coats the goblet politely. Aroma begins with a surprising, nuttiness, followed by plums, concord grapes, fresh banana bread, and a plethora of spices. Nice!
Mouthfeel begins with fizzy, carbonation but smooths into a velvet coating.
Taste immediately conveys the complexities of a fine Trappist dark ale. There is a malt dominance, with plum and fig fruitiness, some yeasty wet cat hair, and a solid bitterness from the noble hops. Alcohol warmth is soothing near the end. Finish is both dry, and mildly fruity.
An excellent Trappist ale, among Belgium's finest. I wish I could afford to support these nice Monks on a more regular basis.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's easy to forget how good a beer is when you haven't had one for a while. The Chimay Red pours a brown to ruby red with a clean white head and some lasting lacing. It has a crisp aroma with hints of the malt and clove as well as some alcohol accent. The taste is simply great. This in my opinion is one of the best beers made. It has a multiplicity of taste that is hard to find in other beers although it is a classic Abbey beer. The strongest taste is of malt, a little smoky but not like a porter or stout. There is a hint of clove and carob, but just a hint. There is a fruitiness that reminds me of grapes and that back of the mouth bitterness of hops. This feels great in the nose, in the mouth, and going down. This may be addicting.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a ruby/golden color with a thick foamy head and decent lacing. Smells of sweet and spicy notes and a yeasty character. Tickles the nose. Very sweet smooth taste but a little watery in the feel. The body is lacking that kick. Spices and herbs are very present...mainly ginger comes to mind. Tastes a bit of candied sugars. Nice sweet aftertaste but it's missing something, still a quality brew.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had Chimay Red many times, but, since I just decided to write a review of it, last night was the first time I scrutinized it. Realizing that the smell and taste were so floral and fruity surprised me. Red does not have the cloying taste of many beers with a strong taste of fruit. The fruit tastes are very well balanced with the malts and hops, so they only serve to enhance the taste. Overall, it's a very unique beer, but also one that is easy and pleasant to drink--it's not a novelty beer by any stretch. The carbonation and hops are slightly sharp, which is especially noticeable in the aftertaste.

The aftertaste is also a little sour, but otherwise, this is a great beer.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Presentation: 33 cl stubby bottle, poured into a Chimay Goblet. Pours a medium brown with a slight red/orange cast. Slightly translucent, with a 1-finger high white head with small bubbles. Aroma is very gentle, nice, not strong and overpowering. Slightly sweet with sweet fruit-candy aroma (raisins/dates) and maybe a little chocolate. Flavor is slightly sweet like the aroma, but has a firm bite of hops. As the drink warms in the mouth, an unpleasant medicine-like sharpness comes aroound that ruins the nice flavors that come before. Overall, I was unpleasantly surprised after all the good things I had read about Chimay. This is my least favorite of the Trappists that I have tried so far.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy, rusty brown. One finger creamy off-white head and lots of lace.

Aromas of sweet dark fruit, bready yeast, and cloves.

Taste is well balanced between fruit, malt and spices, with cloves slightly dominant.

Smooth, medium mouthfeel. Crisp, dry finish adds to drinkability.

A very good beer to have around, and my second favorite among the Chimay beers.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

The beer pours a cloudy brown color with a thick off-white head that lasts. The aroma is good. It has a malty, yet very spicey scent. It smells like there are some crystal malts and ginger used. It has a strong rootbeer type aroma. The taste is good. It is light with a watery finish. It has a decent belgian brown flavor to it. It is smooth going down. There is no sign of an elevated abv. taste. The mouthfeel is great. It is a low/medium bodied beer with good carbonation . This beer drinks well; an excellent sessions beer.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

The big, bubbly, khaki head leaves a little lacing. Ruby brown colored beer that seems to glow. Nutty, malty, mellow plums mix in the aroma. Light fruit, not apricot maybe apple, with dose of yeast, some caramel maltiness and some alcohol. Fizzy mouthfeel makes the body feel lighter then it is.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

NOTE: DISREGARD OR DELETE THIS REVIEW. I mistakenly reviewed the wrong beer. I haven't had this one.

The waitress suggested this to me at a show in Las Vegas and I was very impressed. I'm not sure what an Abbey Dubbel is, but I'm pretty sure this is the only one I've ever had. I really enjoyed it.

Appearence was brown with a tan head and good lacing

Smelled very nice...I remember nutty and spicy aromas and some slight fruit

Taste was great - extremely smooth...woody, nutty...a little bit fruity but definitely not overly sweet. Medium texture. An excellent beer.

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: murky brown bilge water but with gorgeous thick creamy head, with lacing that stayed.
Smell: Hands down the most pleasantly fragrant beer I have sampled. Fruity, spicy, I just wanted to keep sniffing!
Taste: similar to smell but more restrained, malty, hop bitterness was restrained, great dry finish
Mouthfeel: silky smooth
Drinkability:easy drinking relative to what I expected, could have had a few more
Note: seems to be what many other brewers are striving for, that is, complexity without hitting you over the head, American micros should pay attention

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured cloudy brown-orange with a small off-white head. The aroma actually had a bit of a 'bite' to it -- peppery floral with undertones of malt. The mouthfeel was thick and fizzy from the carbonation, with almost a nettley feel on the palate. It tasted toasted peppery and very smooth, with a complete lack of bitterness in the aftertaste. The whole brew felt 'regal' to me, and it seemed eminently drinkable. Very pleasant.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

11.5 oz bottle.

It poured a wonderfully cloudy amber, with a thumbs-width of tan head. It had a very fruity smell. The taste is a strong yeast, which should be expected from a sustaining beer such as this. A very satisfying taste it mixed well with cheese and bread. It should be excellent with a meal or as a meal. The feel was superbly smooth with a medium body and an oily finish. This beer is highly drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Tasted 1/16/04 at our little Extravaganza Belgique.

Kicking off our little indulgence session was this beauty (as we decided to move through the Chimays in ascending ABV level), with a creamy white head over a soft, amber-brown brew.

Both in the nose and on the tongue, Premiere is soft and round, with entertwined sweetnesses of alcohol and fruit, with wheaty touch and an intriguing but subtle bitterness before a smooth finish.

Impressive.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

This Chimay poured a deep red with a good head that lasted till the last sip. The lacing was moderate. The smell was of a very spicy and fruity nature. The taste was inline with the smell. A slight spice to it with a fruity almost pear like taste. A malt flavor was also present but much less than the other flavors. The mouthfeel was moderate and very nice.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been saving this bottle for some time and I finally shared it with my father this past weekend as we celebrated the birth of my first son last Tuesday.

A delicate pour produces a beautiful white head that lingers and slowly, very slowly, calms to a moderate lace. The fruity, honey aromas bring me to the lowlands of Belgium and Flanders, the home of my ancestors. The yeast danced and swam in the glass as I held it up to the light. What a beautiful looking ale.

My mouth fills with pleasant fruity and honey flavors with a mix of spices and cloves. It's a very enjoyable sip, after sip, after sip. I taste apples and pears that drys to a crisp maltiness.

Cheers! Life is good my friends.

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay S.A.