Chimay Première (Red) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Première (Red) Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +1%

Red-brown with a funky smell and a nice candy, fruit flavor. Very easy to drink, God bless these monks. This is a perfect trappist abbey ale and I wished I had bought a 750ml bottle instead of a 330ml. I need to drink the white and the blue very soon.

ArrogantB, Nov 12, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

650ml bottle from Vons. Pours a dark brown,cloudy unfiltered, with a tan head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was rich with caramel and dried plums and a hint of spice. Taste was complex with chocolate in the forefront, other flavors--oak, pine, caramel, and walnuts rounded out the sides. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with an elegant fizz. The finish was long and smooth with a caramel aftertaste. Overall: this is a good beer suitable for all occasions. Recommended.

likestoswallow, Nov 11, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Beer bottle (3, 75 cl), tasted in 1999.
Appearance: red copper, smooth foam
Smell: bodied flavor and spicy
Taste and mouthfeel: fruity and roasting
Drinkability: Good dark, the less strong Chimay beers

Review added 11-11-2007, translated from french 2-26-2008.

thierrynantes, Nov 11, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Beautiful brown color with some lacing within my pint glass. Huge Belgian head that slowly settles but can be restored with just a bit of swilling. A capital presentation, overall. Lots of little carbonation flowing upwards, very delectible. We "like-ey". much.

Smell: Predominate Belgium yeasts, chocolate, sweets, overall. Very nice. Appealing.

Taste: Well, falls a bit short. Very mild, given the low ABV. I always want something a bit "knock yu out" - it isn't here. This is just a fine brew to enjoy, slowly. I'm running it up against a Dogfish Head 90 and no compare' on flavour...at all. Just not there. They should just work on the hops a bit more. But hey, it's the style, Belgium and such.

Mouthfeel: Soooo smooth....Mom's milk, to me. It's great. The glass just begs for more attention. Very slick, tasty. No question a drinkable beer.

So...Drinkability...Yes a "good" ratng to me. Given the price tag and the quality, well-matched. Very nice brew. Highly recommended. But keep a few Dogfish's around when you really want to enjoy a session. Sorry, Dog beat 'em up on this one. Big time.

superswing123, Nov 10, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

5/24/2010: Revisited this and I don't like it as much. Intense fruity esters with a peppery finish, somewhat cloying.

Appearance: Dark chestnut, just barely translucent, with less foam and carbonation than Chimay's other 2 beers.

Smell: Mild fruity sweetness, bringing to mind black cherries and figs.

Taste/mouthfeel: Nutty and malty with a mild lingering sweetness and a slight peppery quality. Medium-bodied and surprisingly quaffable. Great stuff.

4/4/4.5/4/4.5

largadeer, Nov 09, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

bottle that expiers in 2011 so pretty far from best before date. although, with chimay and other belgian ales that idea is pretty moot anyway.

a: beautiful deep burgundy brown with generous off-white head and attractive columns of white carbonation flowing upwards; great head retention; leaves nice belgian lace on side of glass.

s: so fragrant! fruits (apples and pairs) as well a orangey estirs and lots of spices; not even the slightest bit of alcohol, just pure fruity goodness

t: almost a 3.5-after the richness of the fragrances the flavor seems a little thin; what is there is quite good and fruity and spicy with some alcohol presence; i just feel it is not as robust as it could be for a dubbel

m: creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation and solid body

d: quite good; well balanced and good fruity/spice flavors; maybe not as pungent as it could be but really a good beer that i could drink all day and night.

hoegaardenhero, Nov 07, 2007

IMO, the best of the three Chimays (Red, White, Blue). This beer has a lot of different characteristics to like: it's lightly fruity, there's a bit of roastiness, and it is also a bit spicey (clove or coriander or both). Easily the most complex of the three, and to me, the most likable.

Appearance is a nice red-brown, which is not quite opaque. Head formation is decent, whitish, of uniformly sized bubbles, and sticks around an average amount of time. Aroma is of dried fruit, and a bit of spice. Flavor is more of the same, but adds a layer of light roastiness. The fruitiness exists in a dried fruit sense, but also exerts itself as lightly sour (like sour cherries). Mouthfeel was a bit astringent and drying, which you'd expect from a beer with roasty and sour characteristics. I really liked this beer.

I've had this in restaurants before (all the Chimays seem like they're popping in fine-dining places everywhere), and it is usually served much too cold. This beer really seems to shine at about 50-55 degrees.

Definitely recommended.

BeerBelcher, Nov 03, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

First of my Chimay tasting and not a terriffic start. Poured from bottle into Chimay chalice. Pours a deep dark orange in color with off-white head. Good 2 finger head but quickly dissolves leaving a thin layer behind for the remainder of the beer, no lace. Smell is of some fruit, alcohol, and a touch of grain. Taste is pretty good, better than the look or smell. Has a slightly bitter yet malty taste with some fruit notes (though I cannot distinguish) and some alcohol. Very crisp and light mouthfeel but the carbonation is too high for me, I find it distracting fromt the true taste. Overall not a bad beer, I think I just expected more. "White" is up next...

bunnyhustle, Nov 02, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

The Red pours a a light off red color with a nice foam head with very little lacing. The smell is malty with an aroma of roasted caramel. The taste is strongly malty with a spicy finish. It is a little bit chewy in the mouth. A very good beer but probably not my favorite of the three from the Abbaye.

cswhitehorse, Oct 28, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -43.2%

Tasted this out of brown paper bag during a taste test. What a disappointment. I thought is was some sort of beer/cider mix. Carbonization was prominant, complexity was low, and the malt taste was orange to apple. Drinkability was low.

I love malty begian beers, and I'm sure I would have had a biased review if I saw the label before drinking it. I'm glad I tried this one honestly, with the brown paper on it. Now I know I won't try it again.

Bugsey, Oct 22, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

It's been a while since I've had any of the Chimays, but with the gift set out, and me being such a whore for glassware, I figured, what the hell, and picked it up. So starting with the original recipie in the Chimay Chalice... GO ILLINI!

A - Good head, perfect size and retention, but no lacing. Opague orange body.

A - Well, depending on your outlook, this is either simple and underwhelming or suttle and pleasing. I noted an pleasent maltyness with notes of orange peel and salt.

T - This is much more expressive than the aroma. Malt and orange are most present, with sweet cream and lots of spice too. Dryer finish than I expected. The beer is light even for a session style beer.

M - Kinda silky, but also seemed week.

D - Hey, it goes down fine, but it lacks much complexity...

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Oct 21, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Nice brownish red color with a moderately sized head, tasty beer but not nearly as good as the blue cap. To be honest this seems to be a watered down "Blue Cap", not an insult (it's good, Ilike it) but I'd rather enjoy the real thing. Rock on Tribe in the ALCS, put Boston away.

dankman38, Oct 19, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Gave it a brisk pour which created a beautiful thick creamy head which left thick sticky lace on the glass. Smells of baked bread - very yeasty - can actually see yeast sediment suspended within the beer when held up to the light. Taste is a very good example of the Belgium ale style - crisp and fruit with a light mouthfeel and nice tight carbonation and very drinkable. An excellent beer - what you would expect from an iconic brew like Chimay.

elmore, Oct 15, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, so I finally picked up a little 11.2 ounce bottle at my local beerporium.

Interestingly enough the beer started foaming as soon as a popped the top and as a result it poured with a huge three finger head that slowly dissipated. The beer was an opaque brown with light brown highlights.
The smell is very rich with a strong maltiness and a slight trace of yeast that made it smell very much like fresh-baked bread to me. The taste was very earthy with a finish that reminded me very much of the smell outside after a rain during the fall. I know these are very esoteric descriptions, but this is the first beer I've had that was like this so I have very few benchmarks to go by. I could imagine enjoying a whole bottle or two with a good meal, so I would consider it to be fairly drinkable. Overall I enjoyed it immensely and I think it may have become my new beer for special occasions, and I'm looking forward to trying the other two types of Chimay.

TheTrevor, Oct 14, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

Pours a deep reddish brown. Very little head retention, no lacing at all.
Smells sweet, yeasty, fruity.
Taste is mild fruits, sweetens toward the end, a touch of alcohol as well.
Mouthfeel is great. Crisp, refreshing, carbonation on the tongue.
Drinkabilty - Very, very smooth. Probably not a session, but I will probably have this one again!

Not at all what I expected! Left me pleasantly surprised with my first Belgian brew!

vondew45, Oct 09, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay Chalice glass (that I got for 50 cents at a garage sale last weekend).

A - deep cherrywood color with a fluffy light tan head that settled to a layer, leaving minimal lacing.

S - malt, date/fig, and slight yeast aromas.

T - sweet malt flavor, date/fig fruity notes and a little hop bitterness on the back end.

M - medium bodied with crisp carbonation.

D - not a beer to 'pound down' all night, but very enjoyable if savoured slowly for an evening.

JoeyBeerBelly, Oct 07, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

A 750ml magnum bottle with cork. Poured into a chalice of 14oz proportions. Nice to have friends around that are willing to try new things.

Deep brown color right out of the bottle. The head was a light off-white nearly beige color, also was fluffy. A nice layer stays and never leaves a trace.

Smells fruity with a hint of spice. Not much else but very fragrant.

Tastes like heaven. Malts and spices are balanced perfectly with the hops but they seem to be subdued as the brew warms. Finishes sweet with a nice malt note. Nice medium body with a good carbonation.

A good brew but something I might pass on later.

ghostmech007, Oct 04, 2007

I know I said in an earlier review I was saving my bottle for years to come, well I still am.

This review is of a bottle bought in September 2007 and best before 2011, it is being drunk on my 'Night of the Chimay' as I have all three beers and some cheese from the Abbey all purchased in Middelkerke on the Belgian coast during a resent visit.

Was it the cheese? Or was it the other Chimay beers lined up next to it, this beer was a lot better than the first review in all aspects.

It seemed richer and fuller, it looked happier too. Its aroma was wholesum and more fruity, the flavours stood out more and the overall enjoyment was a whole lot greater.

I am now really looking forward to trying the beer i have set aside for later (2010).

BlackHaddock, Oct 02, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured 750ml into Stella glass.

A: Dark tea brown with light head that remained paperclip thin.

S: Not as strong as i would have expected, candy sugar and some of the darker fruits.

T: The dark fruit, dates i believe, was the most prominent and touches of caramel. Touch of grassy hops toward midway>end.

M: Gets better as it goes down, the carbontion recedes.

D: Excellent smooth red dubbel.

Brianmerrilyn, Oct 02, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +8%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. The color is of strongly brewed tea, reddish brown, with bubbles constantly climbing the sides of the chalice. The beer looks like it has some substance to it, not thin at all. Decent, but not great head retention, with initial head slightly foamy. The beer may still be too cold, took out of fridge about 10 minutes ago, which may explain the lack of retention. The smell is sweet and biscuity with some alcohol. The taste has some sweetness and bitterness that mix very well, with the alcohol very present but not over-powering. The mouth feel is surprisingly light with perfect carbonation. This is my first Chimay Red but definitely won't be my last. I like it!!!

evolbob, Sep 27, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours out a brown hazy beer with a nice one finger head.Smells of sweet malt and esters. Very subtle smell. Taste is extremely smooth.Mostly a dry beer very little in the way of hops,,it seems the yeast makes most of this flavor,,and being 7% you'd never know.Mouthfeel is nice,,tiny bit creamy. A really enjoyable beer.

tweeder263, Sep 24, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +8%

I had this the other night at a bar and loved it. I wanted to try it again so I picked up a bottle tonight.

It pours a nice brown with a moderate foamy white head. Better than average head retention. The aroma of this is what draws me in, it's a slightly fruity smell. Taste is great as well and is very smooth. Drinkability is high. I could easily have a couple more after this one.

UFGUY2122, Sep 22, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my second Chimay Red, a long time since my first which was about 4-5 months ago? I wanted to revisit this one after gaining so much more knowledge about beers and maturing my taste buds more. The Chimay Red pours out a dark red brown with a good large head like all Chimays with medium retention. It smells of fruits like berries or cherries and some plums and a little floral aromas were detected as well. The taste first hits me with light plums and lot's of sweetness and I could
also taste berries and cherries. The maple sweetness does well backing the taste throughout to the finish which was very slightly bitter to my surprise but that did no harm to the rating I am giving. This taste seems like a lighter version of the Chimay blue and with the fruits and sweetness more obvious and in a light, refreshing twist. The after taste was a lingering plums, raisins and grapes with good fruity, floral aromas on the nose too. The mouthfeel was tweaked to give the Chimay red a refreshing and light touch; it's body is between thin and medium though
probably more towards thin but it was never watery and it has a refreshing and smooth touch to it; goes down real easy. Generally I prefer such beers thicker and richer with sweet malts to balance the fruits. This was light on malts and high on sweetness but I agree that it is aimed at delivering a different punch altogether. Still a good to great beer; way to go Chimay!

basica, Sep 20, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear brownish copper with a tightly packed tannish white head. Lacing left all over and lasts through the finish. Looks very inviting and appealing. Aroma is of mainly of toasted malts, some caramel and a pleasant fruitiness as it gets warmer. Taste is excellent. Very Belgian-like, with hints of banana and clove, but not too overpowering. Some fruity/cirusy hop flavors start coming through with warming. Very good on the palate. Oily but rather thin on the tongue. Perhaps due to a modest amount of carbonation. Goes down very smoothly. Overall this is an excellent example of a superior Belgian beer. True to style and highly recmmended.

domtronzero, Sep 17, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

I've only been able to find the Chimay Blue and Red. The Red is my favorite. I'll try to drink one of these at least once a month. This is also a favorite of my wife who isn't big on beer. You have to drink this in a Trappist chalice to enjoy the great aroma and creamy head.This is a great beer to enjoy while sitting in front of a fire and letting your mind wonder. A truly great beer in my opinion.

Matty1918, Sep 15, 2007
Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay S.A.