Chimay Première (Red) - Bières de Chimay S.A.

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay S.A. visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chimay Première (Red) Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Labeled as a 2007 vintage. Poured from a cage-corked 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. The cork launched itself into the cieling after the slightest nudging and the carbonated contents of the bottle began to foam over the top. Luckily not much of this great beer was lost.

Big light tan head sits on top of a dark brown body. Head drops kind of fast. The components of the aroma are very blended together. Lots of sweet dark fruits. Everything in the flavor is very mellow. Figs, prunes, and a little brown sugar. Mouthfeel is kind of thin, but that's not a bad thing and it helps to make it supremely drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into the Chimay glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A dark orange with dark copper hues in the beer. There is a light tan to a dark ivory head that has some retention to it. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is mostly cloudy with some light coming through.

Nose: A rich malt aroma with some sweetness. There is some floral, citrus, and clove like spices emanate from the beer. In the background of the beer is some dried cherries, phenols, banana, and some peppery notes.

Taste: A very rich thick complex malt with a subtle sweetness in the beer. The flavors in the beer is citrus, dried cherries, and spices. Coming from the end of the beer there is phenols, bananas, and some peppery notes.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated and slightly spicy. The mouth feel is medium body to medium full. The finish is slightly bitter and peppery. This is the first dubbel that I can stomach. The beer has a nice full complete body, there is no separation in the flavors. I really like this beer. Out of the red, white and blue Chimay, this is second to the blue.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from the corked 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip

Looks good, a brownish red color with an off white head.
Smell is sweet and yeasty, some dark fruit and spice.
Taste a lot going on here. Very complex spicy and yeasty, with a lot of sweet fruit. Balanced towards the sweet side but nothing over powering.
Feel a little thin but carbonation helps allot. A little sticky finish but smooth.
Drink a very easy drinking beer I could have a lot of these and often.
Comment I liked Chimay Red a lot. It is a very good and tasty beer.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer is a dark brownish-red, almost approaching wine-like, with a very thin and quickly dissipating head in my Westmalle glass, a dubbel characteristic. Personally I like a bit more head on my beers... the appearance is simple but not boring.

Again, in a way that is characteristic of the dubbels I've tried, Chimay's Red (Premiere) does not have an arresting or powerful aroma, but what it has is subtle and inviting and very much improved by letting the beer sit until it warms up a little bit. Delicious candied sugar and a hint of red apple, as well as Belgian yeastiness, are noticeable. I prefer a bit more aromatic punch, but this is nice and complex.

The taste is not as subtle, but certainly not in-your-face. There is a big caramel/candied sugar carryover from the aroma then a kick of spice (clove or even rosemary-like), malt and breadiness from the yeast. There's a lingering aftertaste of that spiciness.

The mouthfeel is surprising! Soft, but carbonated and quite "dry", pretty solid and full in the mouth. You can feel it sticking around in your mouth afterward, which is great for certain beers, but I'd rather have less of it with this one.

As for drinkability... it's by no means exceptional. I like to crack a bottle of the Red on occasion but it's got enough eccentricities in the taste and feel that this is not a beer I'll reach for night after night.

Overall: I'd rather reach for a bottle of Westmalle Dubbel if my local store has it, but this is not bad.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Dark red, some floaties, strong carbonation. One and a half finger of a beige compact foam.
Candy sugar and red fruitiness at the nose, a strong maltiness, with fruitiness.
At the taste the same things, with a predominant candy sugar sweetness, and fruitiness.
Sweet, but drinkable.
Again sweet in the aftertaste, for a not so great drinkability.
Not bad, but too sweet for our taste.

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Turbid, brown/red color. Decent off white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Smells of many esters and phenols - fruity and cloves. Also cinnamon and sweet malts.

T - Taste follows smell with a spicy after taste.

M - Has a nice tingle on tongue and cheeks. Moderate body. Seems to leave a "coating" in the mouth.

D - This is not my usual style, but it got better as I drank it. I will drink it again and try others of the same style.

Poured into a Chimay goblet for a leather brown body with a quickly disipating one-finger white head. A nice sweet malt smell of caramel, toffee, some roasted malts and minor scent of bitter hops and dark fruit. An inherent fruit flavor of orange and grape or something tropical, with some herbal hop bitterness that passes over the tongue with a prickly, dry feeling. Still, this is a medium-bodied beer that goes down smooth and has residula sweetness the entire time you're drinking it with some minor spices on the backend as well. A well-balanced dubbel that anyone should try if they haven't already.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Chimay goblet

Dark red, lots of bubbles, forms a large light tan head that gradually fizzles away

very nice, molasses, brown sugar, hint of dark fruits, bready malts

not quite as exciting as the smell, less going on but still good, the bread character comes out more, not as sweet as the smell would suggest, nice malty finish

a little thin and watery, maybe too carbonated as well, it doesn't keep me from enjoying the beer, but it could be better

very easy to drink, I would have liked more umpf but the style is not always particularly umpfy as compared to Quads and SDA's

4.15/5  rDev 0%

The appearance is thick, murky dark cherry red, with a tinge of mahogany. Steady, thin off-white head resembling the ozone layer. Opaque as the deep oceans.

Spicy yeasts are glittery in the nose. Some orange peel, some bar soap. As it warms, it becomes more flowery.

The taste is spicy with a pretty bready base. Belgian yeast with a flowery hop. A spicy, spiky initial flavor, but a sweet citrus/fruity finish, which follows into the aftertaste.

The feel is fizzy and chewy. A big thick consistency, leaving a nice aftertaste. A really great beer, greater than the sum of its parts.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks beautiful, tastes good, VERY drinkable. I could drink several of these, no problem. Basically what every other review says. A top notch brew, for sure. The best trappist? I don't think it is. Worth a drink, even if you need to go out of the way to get one? Indeed.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. My first pour I got a huge 3 finger head from this one that quickly fades to nothing, and no lacing on the glass whatsoever.

A: This beer is absolutely gorgeous. Yeasty sediment floats throughout the beer, and I think that yeast throughout only improves the taste so for me this is a positive. It is a medium dark brown with slightly red tone to the appearance and impossible to see through under any lighting condition.

S: At first when cold (40 degrees from my fridge) this beer has very little smell. Some dark fruits come through, although nothing like a quad. As the beer warms however there is a strong smell of brown sugar which is awesome. More phenolic smells become apparent even though this beer is extremely deceptive of its alcohol content in taste.

T: One of my absolute favorites to drink, and maybe my favorite Chimay over the blue. This beer is extremely well balanced. Never bitter, never too sweet, and you cannot discern the alcohol at 7% even in the slightest. I think that any beer drinker could appreciate this one due to the fact it isn't too sweet ever.

M: This is my only complaint about Chimay Red. It's a little thin on the mouthfeel and shows absolutely no lacing whatsoever on the glass. I wish it was slightly thicker, but this is a minor complaint. The one thing that brings its score back up for me is the carbonation which is absolutely perfect. In my Duvel tulip this is the first beer I've noticed "actively" carbonating itself from the "D" etched on the bottom of the glass all the way to the top of the beer. The carbonation is ridiculously perfect.

D: I could drink this beer all night. The yeast floating around in my opinion makes it all the more delicious, and it is never too sweet which is why I think drinking multiples would be no problem at all. It's also not too strong at 7% so you could have 3-4 without issue, at least I could. In fact I drank the entire 750ml last night and would have enjoyed another glass! This is one I plan to purchase semi-regularly for the house.

Overall probably my favorite Chimay, but the blue is close. Enjoy this one often!

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark copper, more on the brown side, with two fingers of frothy, off white head. Subsided reasonably quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Bananas, clove, some kind of metallic/astringent note I couldn't place.

Taste: Very, very smooth. Chocolatey/banana notes up front, which fade to a nice sweetness in the aftertaste. Mild bitter hop notes, but the sweetness dominates. It's a mild enough sweetness not to become cloying, and instead remains rather pleasant. A little watery, overall, however.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick, but like Chimay's other offerings, too highly carbonated. The high carbonation adds a harshness which takes away from the smooth taste.

Drinkability: Well, this was the only one of Chimay's three main offerings that I enjoyed finishing, so that counts for something. It's very smooth and refreshing - and to be honest, tastes more like a watered-down tripel than a dubbel.

I've been underwhelmed or disappointed by all of Chimay's offerings, but this is the best of the main group (Blue/Red/White). It was a bit watery, but overall, an enjoyable brew.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I looked back, and rated the Blue higher than this one. I know I liked this better - might have to go back and give the Blue another try.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet.

A: Dark reddish copper. Hazy from the yeast sediment. An almost crisply light tan head which faded quickly. Left no lacing, which was a surprise.

S: Very light, but sweet and malty. Hints of berries.

T: Smooth and dry with little to no aftertaste. Finished very clean and crisp.

M: Very bubbly and thick. Not at all unpleasant.

D: Not something you want to drink fast. Not that the 7% ABV has to do with it, you just want to make sure you can enjoy this one.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Out of a bottle (thanks Tara!) this brew was a very cloudy chestnut brown color with tons of floating sediment in it. The head was two-fingers of khaki bubbles that displayed good retention and excellent lacing in curtains. The aroma was also excellent, toasted malt, caramel malt, ripe fruit, Belgian yeast and spices. The flavors were also complex and impressive. I tasted Belgian yeast, lots of dark fruits, cloves, cinnamon, raisins, apple cider vinegar and alcohol especially as it warmed up. Quite tangy. The mouthfeel was smooth and rich, the body full and the carbonation a bit foamy. A very good beer and a classic.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

After reading some posts in the forums about beer advocates not liking Belgian beers, I thought I would give this one a try.

Poured a very murky brown brown color with a awesome white head and incredible lacing. The retention off this beer was something to behold; it stuck around the entire session.

Aromas ranged from very sweet to cloves and phenols and a dash of some plum.

Dark malt presence up front backed with a sold yeasty notes with cloves and phenols. Also detected some ripe plums and cherries that go very well with the beers medium body and wonderful carbonation.

Mouthfeel was a mild medium, but was still very good nonetheless.

I give this a good drinkability because of its low ABV. and spectacular carbonation.

PS: After having this, I will be sure to seek out more Belgian beers so that I can fully appreciate the style. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

I had off the tap at Mothers in Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Graham Ave. Definitely worth the hype...but the price ($8) was somewhat steep for a 12 oz. beer.

It was quite bubbly with an average foamy head and decent lace. Fairly opaque in color. Dull brown and good citrus scent to it.

Citrus burst at first with a kind of vegetable aftertaste. Cider-ish, but really refreshing.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle

A - Very hazy reddish-brown body beneath a dark tan head that is nice and pillowy. Sticky head leaves sticky lace is it settles to a nice film on top of the beer.

S - Not as fragrant as I expected. Small of sweet dark malts and some yeastiness. Perhaps some toasted bread and hints of dried black cherries.

T&M - Nice and dry with champaign-like bubbles. The yeasty taste adds to the dryness. Quite malty up front, definite dark malts, and then followed by a lightly sweet cherry flavor. Cherry is more apparent as it warms. A little thin in flavor, not as complex and full-flavored as expected.

D - easy to drink and a nice beer. I would like to see more depth to this. I just wanted a more robust flavor that wasn't quite there. Very nice beer though.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a reddish brown in color with only a slight head. Smell is somewhat laced with spices. Maybe some clove and a real faint cinnamon. Taste is highly carbonated and bubbly. There is some spice as well as some dark fruit in the taste. Perhaps just a bit too much carbonation. Not bad, an easy drinker.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A - 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Light tannish brown with white head that goes away quickly but the chalice maintains a small film of foam on the top.
S - Dark and light fruits, I got plums all the way to raspberries. Not a deep strong aroma however.
T - Sweet malts, but you can pick up the hop bitterness somewhat along with the alcohol burn. Very complex, alot going on once again with many different flavors coming through.
M - I wouldn't call it a smooth beer, the alcohol and carbonation keep it from being too smooth. But it there is nothing offensive about it. Not flat or too fizzy.
D - Sip this one. Anything more than a bomber and you will feel it for sure. But, for what it is, of course it is drinkable.

I probably don't need to tell anyone this, but this is one of those beers that everyone should be able to get their hands on and well they should.

3.86/5  rDev -7%

Chimay Première (Red)
Bières de Chimay (Abbaye Notre Dame de Scourmont)
Style: Dubbel
ABV: 7.00 %

Reviewed @ home 1/11/09, bottle>chalice,
A 3.0? - no lacing? Deep amber color, good 2 finger head, very short head retention
S 4.5 - intense complex aromas. Plum and dark fruit notes, almost like a rich fruitcake, brandy and licorice notes
T 4.0 - very complex, palate gets all the notes as they smell. Deep fruit notes are more dominant than malt base.
MF 3.0 - low on carbonation, medium+ on body
D 3.5 - very rich complex beer. It's a sipper for sure. I personally would prefer more malt tastes and carbonation, but it seems very appropriate for a Dubbel. After all I think Chimay beers are a benchmark for any style! This one is my least favorite out of the 3 Chimays though.

The first of my Authentic Trappist beers. I'm pretty pumped about this one.

Serving: 11.2 oz bottle poured into my Chimay glass. 08-314 stamped on label.

A: Pours a dark brown/copper. Very cloudy and hard to see through. Fine beige head. Floaties big and small but not numerous. Definite lace work.

S: Malty sweet aroma. Reminds me of cheap whiskey aroma. Toasty. Complex. There is a aroma I can't put my nose on. Slight hops too, but not too noticeable. Spice, clove.

T: Fruity and sweet with a touch of hops. There is that whiskey malt again. Earth and wood, maybe a tad whiff of smoke too. A slight alcoholic bite, but not bad at all. Very flavorful.

M: The carbonation is nipping at my tongue. A longish finish makes me want to take another drink right away to replenish what I'm tasting. Just a tad dry and bitter.

D: Very drinkable for 7% ABV. Its not overly expensive for being a beer from one of the six Trappist breweries.

Overall, I am very pleased with my first true Trappist brew. I have read that Red is not the best from Chimay, but that ok because I bought the gift set with all three plus my awesome goblet. So, I only have two more to look forward to!

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this at the Total Wine shop in Ft Myers, Florida.

Appearance: Rich reddish-brown color with a thick, one-fingered head.

Smell: Malt, cherry, yeast.

Taste: Delicious. Very slight hops but the malt was more prominent. Although there was a slight cherry aroma, very minimal fruitiness was present in the taste. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy with a very smooth finish.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth without a hint of the 7% ABV.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the bottle a hazy purply-ruby color with some sediment. A small quarter inch of head quickly fades as bubbles issue from the etching at the bottom of the Chimay goblet. Smell is at once pleasantly of tart cherries and some sweet honey.

I taste plenty of fruit--the cherry from the nose along with grape and honey. I also get clove in a dry, herbal spiciness. The beer is tart and medium-bodied, leaving my mouth dry and tingling just a bit at the finish. On the whole, the flavor and mouthfeel are a little more subtle than other dubbels I've had, such as Ommegang's Abbey, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it really boosts the drinkability.

Single 11.2oz from a gift set with Chimay goblet.

A: pours a reddish brown with little white head

S: smells like dark fruits, raisins, caramel malts

T: similar to smells

M: high carbonation and full bodied

D: pretty high, not much alcohol in the taste

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

33cL bottle poured into a Chimay chalice (or goblet). The yeast was also poured into the beer.

A - cloudy apple cider color, dark brown-like with a 1cm sand color head made up of really, really, really tiny bubbles.

S - yeast, bread, spices, grass, earth, caramel, apples

T - caramel, vanilla, spices, apples with grass and earth coming through on the pretty dry finish. this beer reminds me a lot of St. Bernardus 8.

M - great. the beer was slight overcarbonated which created an interesting tingling feeling in the mouth.

D - it's a pretty good beer, but I think there's a few other Belgian Dubbels I'd pick up before I pick up this one.

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay S.A.